Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, how would one reclassify a Spell as an ability, like the Ring of Fireballs Fireball spell and Banishment that Volkmar gets. I mean, you can't overcast them, but I'd think that Gelt would like some spells that he can just cast for free with cooldowns.

EDIT: Actually, I've always heard Lore of Metal called the worst Lore, but I've never seen anyone say "Yeah use a Celestial Wizard" Isn't it the Worst Lore?

EDIT 2: Provided I get this stuff working, what Heavens Spells-As-Abilities would work for Franz, and what Metal spells should Gelt get as abilities, and depending on what, should his Yellow tree be changed?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Onmi posted:

So, how would one reclassify a Spell as an ability, like the Ring of Fireballs Fireball spell and Banishment that Volkmar gets. I mean, you can't overcast them, but I'd think that Gelt would like some spells that he can just cast for free with cooldowns.

EDIT: Actually, I've always heard Lore of Metal called the worst Lore, but I've never seen anyone say "Yeah use a Celestial Wizard" Isn't it the Worst Lore?

Spells and abilities are functionally the same thing already. I'm not sure precisely how the game decides which is which, but I'm guessing it's based on some combination of the presence/lack of a mana cost in unit_special_abilities, the presence/lack of an overcast variant specified in unit_abilities, and possibly the assignment of an ability to a particular lore in special_ability_groups_to_unit_abilities_junctions, though I'd guess the last one may have more to do with the little preview videos and poo poo in the spell browser. You could check for sure by searching for and comparing wh_main_spell_fire_fireball and wh_main_spell_bound_fireball in Dave.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just read this changelog. Honestly, it's very well made and well thought out. I haven't used it, but it appears to make some much needed changes to original LL's and Lords who've been left in the dust.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Pellisworth posted:

I tried Isabella as my first VC game and while the idea of running around with a few super-powerful vampire heroes sounds cool, it makes their spellcasting pretty redundant since every caster on the same side shares the same Winds of Magic power pool. I didn't know that until I rolled into battle with my two starting Vamp heroes thinking "nice I can spam Nehek a bunch" but nope!

So my current Von Carstein campaign I kept my territory conquests small and just ran with Vlad and Isabella in 2 stacks while I hosed with the dwarves and empire-factions for a while. The whole thing was to bait Chaos to come get hosed up. Isabella with six vampires (4 shadow, 2 death), 6 grave guard and 2 mortis engines sat in Essen with L2 walls when Chaos came. Vlad hung around in 100% chance to ambush stance nearby. Using pit of shades, spirit leech and invocation I just annihilated stack after stack as they attacked Essen. It was great fun. Pit of shades is just so visceral and fun to drop on a clump of Chosen and watch em get torn apart.

The AI actually seems worse at attacking settlements than, say, Rome 2, even with truncated city maps. It's a shame, trapping stacks into manually-aimed catapult killzones was my favorite part of R2.

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 24, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Onmi posted:

EDIT 2: Provided I get this stuff working, what Heavens Spells-As-Abilities would work for Franz, and what Metal spells should Gelt get as abilities, and depending on what, should his Yellow tree be changed?

If Franz got Heavens spells I'd tie them into Ghal Maraz. He gets them after dying and getting rezzed as the Incarnation of Sigmar or something.

I always wished they stuck with Valten as the second coming of Sigmar, it never suited Karl

A re-imagining of the End Times as a campaign by CA might actually be fun, if they had liberty to expunge all the stupid poo poo. Everyone's favourite LLs from all the races team up to curbstomp Archaon.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Two questions in regard to the wood elf campaign.

1: I have been asked to build an army as a bonus objective. Is this just asking for a new lord or is it something else entirely?

2: Is there anyway to get the bonus objective to build a hollow to register the fact that I already have upgraded past said building?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

Two questions in regard to the wood elf campaign.

1: I have been asked to build an army as a bonus objective. Is this just asking for a new lord or is it something else entirely?

2: Is there anyway to get the bonus objective to build a hollow to register the fact that I already have upgraded past said building?

1: yes recruit a lord and you get whatever bonus
2: it may require you to build a new one

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

2: it may require you to build a new one

Since a hollow is part of the capital building chain that is not going to work.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, managed to give Karl the Lore of Heavens. Of course, just having all the spells isn't much, I'd like to turn Urannon's Thunderbolt into a Bound spell since it's the closest thing to Ascendant's "Lord of Lightning". I'm thinking that, rather than sticking him with the whole magic tree, I'll seed some spells into his tree, or, out of curiosity, can I link unlocking the spells to completing his quests. In which case, locking 1 after each quest and 1 after Deathclaw might be neat.

But that still raises the question of what spells for mister Embodiment of the Heavens.

And of course, I have to find out if I've accidentally axed the Celestial Wizard spells, I don't think so but right now I'm running the roulette of heroes hoping I'll have one I can buy. Man do I hate that.

EDIT: Woo, Celestial Wizards still have their spells. So that worked out well for me.

EDIT 2: The main difference I can see between Bound and Spells are "Requires Effect Enabling" for Bound being unchecked. The other is having an Overcast and Preview video. So I can totally make Bound spells for Karl etc.

EDIT 3: Of course, the other thing to do is to make the ability the Overcast version, or to upgrade to the Overcast version. Which... should be possible? I'll be honest in admitting I'm not sure what I'm doing here.

I'd do the same for Gelt, but then he'd lose the ability to Overcast them. I mean it really all depends. And, in that case, what to do with his Yellow tree.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If Franz got Heavens spells I'd tie them into Ghal Maraz. He gets them after dying and getting rezzed as the Incarnation of Sigmar or something.

I always wished they stuck with Valten as the second coming of Sigmar, it never suited Karl

A re-imagining of the End Times as a campaign by CA might actually be fun, if they had liberty to expunge all the stupid poo poo. Everyone's favourite LLs from all the races team up to curbstomp Archaon.

I mean I think that would honestly be fun for a mega campaign. Like... you basically play a combined faction of Dwarves, Empire, Bretonia, Lizardmen etc. Vs the forces of Chaos.

EDIT: Okay so, I think if I want to make sure to duplicate these all as Bound spells, then I'll need to be editing

special_ability_to_special_ability_phase_junctions
unit_abilities_tables

So lets say I want to give Karl Franz; Roiling Skies->Harmonic Convergence->Urannon's Thunderbolt Upgraded (Lord of Thunder)

then I would need to say... take wh_main_spell_heavens_urannons_thunderbolt_upgraded and change it to wh_main_spell_bound_lord_of_thunder in Unit_abilities, and change it from True to False for "Requires Effect Enabling" then in special_ability_to_special_ability_phase_junctions, add wh_main_spell_bound_lord_of_thunder and set its phase as wh_main_spell_heavens_urannons_thunderbolt_upgraded.

Which, if I'm correct, should set the spell as a bound spell that uses Urannon's Thunderbolt Overcast as its effect. I think that's the most basic way, without then further editing the spell to make it more unique (And honestly I wouldn't even know what to do, given the vanilla spell, or what tables to edit)

This should leave the original urannon's Thunderbolt as a Celestial Wizard spell that costs Winds and everything, and Give Franz a bolt to drop on dudes heads. Now the only thing to check is where the gently caress the recharge timer is.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 24, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Is there a trick to the Greenskins? They seem like a pretty weak starting position and it takes me a looong time to consolidate a power base.

Is that just how they play, kinda slow until you can spawn a WAAAGH stack and then steamroll?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Play like a giant rear end in a top hat. Raid everywhere, wait for the dwarves to leave a town undefended and plunder it, let your own provinces revolt and then crush the rebels. Build up a war-chest of tens of thousands of gold. Try to bury the main dwarven faction in unrest and revolts, and take their capital without engaging their main army. It's extremely difficult to actually hold onto territory until the dwarves are dead. Don't event think about confederating until your own territory is secure. Also try to get nasty skulkers and artillery early, they're your only early-game armour-piercing options.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah I was having real trouble against the dwarves, the greenskins don't have many shielded or armor-piercing units available early so I just get ruined by the heavily armored dwarves and their ranged firepower

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Never fight a big Dwarf army without a Waaagh, since dwarf units are better on a one for one basis and a full Dwarf stack costs around 1.5x as much as one of yours so of course it's going to dumpster your Boys.

Use cav a lot, it's the Dwarfs' big weakness.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I'm stuck at the last bit of getting this mod done (Well, second to last. Actually determining what skills is the last) I've made my Bound-variants of Heavens spells, I've got Karl set up with the skill tree for Heavens spells, I just don't know how to associate the Bound spells to his Nodes without also making it bound for the Celestial Wizard.

So, I'm thinking for Franz it'll go

Ghal Maraz-> Roiling Skies (Perhaps rebalanced so it's not just the Celestial Wizards/Also not just garbage)-> Harmonic Convergence-> Curse of the Midnight Wind ->Lord of Thunder (Edited Overcast Urannon's Thunderbolt, if anyone has any ideas on how to improve it)

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 25, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Okay, I got the Spells to be locked behind getting Ghal Maraz (I think, it might unlock them with the Quest) Now I just need to decide on the spells and swap them from their Spell forms to their Innate forms. I really need a hand with that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah I was having real trouble against the dwarves, the greenskins don't have many shielded or armor-piercing units available early so I just get ruined by the heavily armored dwarves and their ranged firepower

A greenskin's best defense against a ranged weapon is another greenskin. Bring a second army to stand next to your main army when dealing with dwarfs, and keep the waaghs close.

It's called the green tide, not the green precision strike.

Onmi posted:

I'm stuck at the last bit of getting this mod done (Well, second to last. Actually determining what skills is the last) I've made my Bound-variants of Heavens spells, I've got Karl set up with the skill tree for Heavens spells, I just don't know how to associate the Bound spells to his Nodes without also making it bound for the Celestial Wizard.

So, I'm thinking for Franz it'll go

Ghal Maraz-> Roiling Skies (Perhaps rebalanced so it's not just the Celestial Wizards/Also not just garbage)-> Harmonic Convergence-> Curse of the Midnight Wind ->Lord of Thunder (Edited Overcast Urannon's Thunderbolt, if anyone has any ideas on how to improve it)

Maybe Ghal Maraz should simply get a bound, edited/overcast Urannon's Thunderbolt spell on the weapon itself? That way you don't have to deal with the unlocking shenanigans: if you unlock Ghal Maraz you get the good stuff, no extra leveling required.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

jokes posted:

A greenskin's best defense against a ranged weapon is another greenskin. Bring a second army to stand next to your main army when dealing with dwarfs, and keep the waaghs close.

It's called the green tide, not the green precision strike.

Maybe Ghal Maraz should simply get a bound, edited/overcast Urannon's Thunderbolt spell on the weapon itself? That way you don't have to deal with the unlocking shenanigans: if you unlock Ghal Maraz you get the good stuff, no extra leveling required.

Only reason I'm doing this is if I learn to do this now, then I can do it for Gelt too. Then like... make his yellow tree a mix of spells he can cast for winds, and I dunno, Armour buffs?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Wallet posted:

I made another mod to fix the other thing that has always annoyed the poo poo out of me, which is that all of my heroes/generals end up with 8+ active abilities that give various buffs that I'm too lazy to deal with so I just end up feverishly clicking all of them whenever they get into combat. The mod makes all of the activate abilities granted by non-unique (legendary lord) items into passive abilities that are either constant or trigger conditionally (some with limited activations). Link, if anyone is interested:

Here are a few examples:

I'm aware that the Pendant of Slaanesh looks insanely powerful, but it also kills the poo poo out of the guy wearing it.

Your passive Sword of Anti-Heroes applies a buff to nearby enemies. Pretty sure it's supposed to be applied to the user when enemies are nearby? Either way, I confirmed that the aura only buffs enemies. And it's not the same one as in your screenshot either

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I just got this game and BOY am i terrible with it

I started as the greenskins and I've been winning most battles but now I'm going bankrupt and all my cities are constantly unhappy and everything seems to be taking forever (teching is slow because pop growth is slow etc). The enemies are out-teching me now as well. I haven't lost a single city but this already is starting to feel like an unwinnable game.

Is there a trick to keeping the cities happier and income steady?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Okay I'm going to need someone who knows what they're looking at to look at this. the skill nodes aren't appearing anymore, so that's an issue. I could really use some help.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Fartbox posted:

I started as the greenskins and I've been winning most battles but now I'm going bankrupt and all my cities are constantly unhappy and everything seems to be taking forever (teching is slow because pop growth is slow etc). The enemies are out-teching me now as well. I haven't lost a single city but this already is starting to feel like an unwinnable game.

the greenskins have a pretty punishing start, i'd recommend trying the other three factions first, probably either the vamps or dwarves

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Fartbox posted:

Hot tips:
1. You should try to supplement your income with sacking. Go after the border princes and the lesser imperials.
2. Don't have too many armies sitting around idle, upkeep is expensive. Build garrison buildings instead.
3. Build the obedience buildings to fix your happiness. Or just let rebellions happen and kill the rebels.
4. Don't overbuild recruitment buildings, especially if you don't have the upkeep to use them. Build growth (if you want to make a location a recruitment province), income and public order instead.
5. There's a few locations with gold or gem mines that give you lots of income. Look for the symbol on the strategic map.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 25, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So as Durthu, is it viable to go all-Dryad for line infantry?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fangz posted:

4. Don't overbuild recruitment buildings, especially if you don't have the upkeep to use them. Build growth (if you want to make a location a recruitment province), income and public order instead.

This is a critical point. There's no reason to have every single province have recruitment buildings. Most don't need any, some might need a basic barracks or something for adding some crossbows or boyz when an army's at the gates. Always a good idea is to conquer your home province, secure it, and fortify the poo poo out of it. Then turn it into a specialized military factory that throws armies everywhere in the world it needs to. If an army gets crushed, you get a fuckton of money back that you can then use to build an entirely new army in roughly 6 turns. Every province you conquer outside of the homeland is for providing more money for your home province to turn into armies, and an extra layer of walls to protect your home province.

Also, I find that walled garrison buildings are a highly effective deterrent for handling public order gently caress-ups if you're good at wall defense.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not really, you want treekin anvils, combined with Glade Guard slaughtering everything. Dryads are only really good against light, unarmoured infantry. They cause fear which makes them good when backed up with archers early game, but going Durthu means your playing monsters more than elves so you want Treemen and Treekin with the odd Dragon or fly unit to take out the artillery which, other than high end armour piercing infantry is the only thing you need to worry about with treekin on the field.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Fartbox posted:

Don't own territory until you have like 30k in the bank from sacking everyone. Just roll with Grimgor and eventually a second army and beat the poo poo outta everyone for a while

Raze dwarf settlements to slow em down if you need to. Watch out for taking on dwarf stacks, on harder difficulties entry-level dwarf units wreck you

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nah. Dryads are really bad at most things they try to do, honestly; I view them as peasant equivalents, to be honest (with added fear bonus). Treekin and Treemen are the only good tree persons, and they are very good tree persons.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
IMO a Grimgor/Azhag game is contingent on either strangling the Dwarfs in their crib yourself, or sticking to one province and raising hell in Dwarf provinces so your fellow Greenskins can choke them out for you. The latter then transitions into replacing your Boyz with Big 'Uns, and either getting a massive fuckoff artillery battery of Rock Lobbas or your cavalry wing up and running. That composition is usually enough for beating down surviving Dwarfs and confederating/murdering the Greenskin tribes.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

IMO a Grimgor/Azhag game is contingent on either strangling the Dwarfs in their crib yourself, or sticking to one province and raising hell in Dwarf provinces so your fellow Greenskins can choke them out for you. The latter then transitions into replacing your Boyz with Big 'Uns, and either getting a massive fuckoff artillery battery of Rock Lobbas or your cavalry wing up and running. That composition is usually enough for beating down surviving Dwarfs and confederating/murdering the Greenskin tribes.

What's the guided projectile trait that Doom Divers have actually do, are they just more accurate? Is it worth using them over Rock Lobbas?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

What's the guided projectile trait that Doom Divers have actually do, are they just more accurate? Is it worth using them over Rock Lobbas?

The Doom Divers can correct course as they fly towards their targets and are actually pretty effective with it. It's just that I prefer using Rock Lobbas because their tech tree upgrades turn them into stupidly effective artillery pieces that can humiliate Dwarf armies since they can shoot as fast as standard ranged units, and I'm a believer in overwhelming firepower through saturation over pinpoint accuracy. Also, they're much faster to get.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

If they get close enough they'll track their target, same as Hellcannon. They're much more accurate against fast-moving or non-clustered targets. If you're using the against Dwarfs, Rock Lobbas are probably better since the Dwarfs are pretty much the opposite of "fast moving" or "spread out targets".

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Pellisworth posted:

Like magical missiles and the Hellcannon, Doom Divers will turn towards a target mid-air. They're high AP, terrifyingly accurate and are probably in the top 3 of artillery pieces. In campaign though, Lobbas get a huge boost to reload time so it's more of a wash.

E:
drat, beaten like a sniveling gobbo.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 25, 2017

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

Your passive Sword of Anti-Heroes applies a buff to nearby enemies. Pretty sure it's supposed to be applied to the user when enemies are nearby? Either way, I confirmed that the aura only buffs enemies. And it's not the same one as in your screenshot either

Sounds like you probably have another mod messing with it which is overwriting the table entries that apply the effects but not the ability itself, so it is taking the enemy targeting from my mod and the effects from whatever other mod you are using.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Aww yiss

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/867726976383168513

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

and I'm a believer in overwhelming firepower through saturation over pinpoint accuracy

translation: more dakka

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Wallet posted:

Sounds like you probably have another mod messing with it which is overwriting the table entries that apply the effects but not the ability itself, so it is taking the enemy targeting from my mod and the effects from whatever other mod you are using.

btw wallet, any other mod plans so far? using both of yours and loving it

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

CA knows metal.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Empire's Free Company Militia are loving amazing. They're not much worse than swordsmen in melee but also are faster and have ranged attacks. They're amazing early game as skirmishers and ambush units.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pellisworth posted:

Empire's Free Company Militia are loving amazing. They're not much worse than swordsmen in melee but also are faster and have ranged attacks. They're amazing early game as skirmishers and ambush units.

They're also hellish in early game ai stacks if you're not on top of things, as if you get preoccupied and don't actively engage them the AI will happily stand right in front of your units and unload those pistols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

I find them really good on autoresolve because wtf they weigh a lot in those

• Locked thread