Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Lord of the Jammed doesn't deal contact damage, it's just the occasional wave of bullets you have to worry about. You can also buy stuff from a shopkeeper if you're fast enough and purchase the item before he enters the room, they hide and take down all their items as soon as he shows up rather than when he fires a wave at you. Spending another 40 at the shrine probably would have been your best bet since all the stores are basically unusable once LotJ shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Do you want to? I could use the help >_>

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Other things: Lord of the Jammed will never go away, even if you drop your curse back down below 10. You cannot use the shop while being followed by the Lord of the Jammed. Lord of the Jammed can and will attack you during cutscenes.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

The boss room you've encountered is a weird map generation bug. It's incredibly rare, and I have no idea what causes it.

This happened to me as well the other day, and it freaked me out since I'd never seen it in the LP or generally in gameplay. I was wondering if it was a curse thing, maybe? I think that was the one run where I had the Fightsabre.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Lord of the Jammed doesn't deal contact damage, it's just the occasional wave of bullets you have to worry about. You can also buy stuff from a shopkeeper if you're fast enough and purchase the item before he enters the room, they hide and take down all their items as soon as he shows up rather than when he fires a wave at you. Spending another 40 at the shrine probably would have been your best bet since all the stores are basically unusable once LotJ shows up.

I'll pretty much always blow all of my money on the Y.V. shrine whenever it shows. Because the chance scales linearly, spending 60 casings on three uses of the shrine means you now have a 11.1% chance for Pop to trigger - a hair over 1 in 9 shots in average. Getting a fourth use out of it (at a total cost of 100 casings) brings the chance to 14.8%, which is a bit over 1 in 7 shots.

Sadly, it would cost 3780 casings to use the shrine enough to get guaranteed Pop on every shot.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Olesh posted:

I'll pretty much always blow all of my money on the Y.V. shrine whenever it shows. Because the chance scales linearly, spending 60 casings on three uses of the shrine means you now have a 11.1% chance for Pop to trigger - a hair over 1 in 9 shots in average. Getting a fourth use out of it (at a total cost of 100 casings) brings the chance to 14.8%, which is a bit over 1 in 7 shots.

Sadly, it would cost 3780 casings to use the shrine enough to get guaranteed Pop on every shot.

Since Pop can trigger off Popped shots, wouldn't a guaranteed trigger mean firing once causes an unending stream of bullets?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

betamax hipster posted:

Since Pop can trigger off Popped shots, wouldn't a guaranteed trigger mean firing once causes an unending stream of bullets?

Given that you'd have to be cheating in the first place to acquire the casings, I'm not sure that's really out of line.

Can Pop really trigger off of its own shots? I've never seen that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Can you do a max curse, max cool run?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Losing access to the shop just seems like insult to injury for a Jammed run.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

On the note of explosions opening secret rooms I think it's to do with the fact that explosions blank bullets, and they probably copied that code from the normal blank, which gives them the same interaction with secret room walls as a normal blank.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The Bullet's invulnerability to contact damage makes it best candidate for Curse runs, IMO. I do find it irritating that there's no unlock for a cursed run, tho.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

dscruffy1 posted:

Close!

Jammed/Polsy

Also featured: a really bizarre boss room on the first floor. I still don't get that one.

why didn't you see what would happen if you leave the boss room while the boss was active :( :(

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Mooseontheloose posted:

Can you do a max curse, max cool run?

Coolness and curse both affect your chances of drops in opposite ways. Curse will lower your chance to get drops after clearing a room, coolness raises it. There is a special item that will give you coolness scaling with the amount of curse you have but once you get to 13-14 curse like I had in that run you're going to have a bad time. Unless you've got a really good way of killing jammed enemies, and I didn't.

Theoretically, there is no max and both of them can stack infinitely.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Curse also has a separate effect of raising your chance to get ammo drops on room clear, so things don't get too bad on that front.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

Coolness and curse both affect your chances of drops in opposite ways. Curse will lower your chance to get drops after clearing a room, coolness raises it. There is a special item that will give you coolness scaling with the amount of curse you have but once you get to 13-14 curse like I had in that run you're going to have a bad time. Unless you've got a really good way of killing jammed enemies, and I didn't.

Theoretically, there is no max and both of them can stack infinitely.

Your ability to modify your coolness and curse are also limited. It's not like you can simply decide "oh hey I want to get ALL THE CURSE" on any given run, aside from the shrine at the beginning that starts you with 9 curse. There simply might not be any sources of curse at all. Same thing with coolness.

Both coolness and curse also have a soft cap of sorts at 10 points, where certain effects cap out and other effects continue to increase. For coolness, the soft cap is that active items can only have their cooldowns reduced to 50%.

At 10 Curse, there is a 50% chance of any enemy or boss becoming Jammed, and this no longer increases with higher curse levels. The scaling for enemies/bosses becoming jammed isn't quite linear, as the chance for bosses to be Jammed is 0% for 0-6 curse, 20 for 7-8 curse, 30% at 9 curse, and then jumps straight to 50% at 10 curse. For regular enemies, it starts at 1% with 1-2 curse, 2% at 3-4 curse, 5% at 5-6 curse, 10% at 7 curse, and then 25% at 9 curse and 50% at 10 curse.
The other effects scale linearly with curse, and these are the following, per point of curse:
- 2.1% increased chance of a chest becoming a Mimic
- +5% chance of a chest having a fuse
- -1% chance of a room reward
- +5% chance of an ammo reward (this is calculated separately and differently than the normal room reward - it's possible, though rare, to get an ammo drop as a "room reward" and get the ammo reward in order to get two ammo drops from clearing one room).
- - This doesn't mean at 10 curse you have a 50% chance of getting ammo from every room - rather, the base chance of a bonus ammo reward goes up by 50%, so you see 50% more ammo boxes.

The Lord of the Jammed, by the way, does go away if you manage to reduce your curse below 10. However, he persists for the remainder of the current floor and does not actually go away until you reach the next chamber.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I think blood brooch actually gives you half heart per bunch of damage dealt, not as a chance per kill.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Lord_Magmar posted:

On the note of explosions opening secret rooms I think it's to do with the fact that explosions blank bullets, and they probably copied that code from the normal blank, which gives them the same interaction with secret room walls as a normal blank.

AFAIK, the only two explosions that can open secret rooms are the Bomb active item and Lil' Bomber (since it fires bombs). Nothing else works. So there must be a specific exception for these two items in the code.

Interestingly, the Dark Marker can't open secret rooms either, despite its charge attack firing a blank-like effect.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

AFAIK, the only two explosions that can open secret rooms are the Bomb active item and Lil' Bomber (since it fires bombs). Nothing else works. So there must be a specific exception for these two items in the code.

Interestingly, the Dark Marker can't open secret rooms either, despite its charge attack firing a blank-like effect.

Would the bomb thing then be a reference to something like the Zelda games? I remember you break walls with bombs in almost all of them.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Quite possibly. The Bomb does have a synergy with the Bow, so it's probably meant to be a Zelda reference.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Xarn posted:

I think blood brooch actually gives you half heart per bunch of damage dealt, not as a chance per kill.

Yup. Half a heart per 1200 damage done by the player.

Incidentally having the brooch also reduces the Trick Gun's reload time. :bloodborne:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

After 33 hours since the Supply Drop update, and 92 loving deaths, I finally killed the Dragun.

Balloon gun is OP.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Without this video, I'd never realized that there were legit consequences for getting too cursed besides fighting Jammed enemies, despite running into this bastard once :doh:

generally I prefer posted:

This happened to me as well the other day, and it freaked me out since I'd never seen it in the LP or generally in gameplay. I was wondering if it was a curse thing, maybe? I think that was the one run where I had the Fightsabre.

Same! I had the Yellow Chamber that spawns and despawns charmed enemies with stone tentacles. I thought that the reaper was summoned because I was protecting the charmed enemies to see that cool despawn animation, but I also had the Huntsman, the Fightsabre, Cursed Bullets, I bought the YC from Cursela, and I had prayed at the winged bullet statue...

The only thing that I can't decide is good or bad is that he's untouchable, as in bullets don't touch him. So on one hand, he can't be frozen or charmed or made to slow down, but he also doesn't tank your shots for other enemies

And hey Scruffy, does this still work post Supply Drop? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUflIq_4gNs I don't have a second controller to test it, and I'd love to see if the Cultist has a past. That exact video was actually the first I'd seen of the game

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

The Door Frame posted:

And hey Scruffy, does this still work post Supply Drop? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUflIq_4gNs I don't have a second controller to test it, and I'd love to see if the Cultist has a past. That exact video was actually the first I'd seen of the game

Haven't actually tried it post supply drop, but there are a couple of problems with that When you have a dead teammate in coop all chests become "revival chests" which revives the dead teammate. Also, the cultist can't actually pick up the bullet that kills the past. If he fires it, he rewinds to earlier that day and then the cultist and player 1 duel.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

The Door Frame posted:

It's not really much of a spoiler, but I don't plan on showing it off.

If you're dedicated you can play as the Cultist, it just requires two methods of control and killing off one of the players a lot. The problem with that is that in co-op mode, if you've got a dead player, every chest will be a revival chest. So you don't have as many upgrade opportunities.

The Cultist's past is a one-on-one gunfight with the main character. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mW2uhkjrWo

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Oh, you hadn't talked much about the cultist before, so I spoiler-tagged it, but I can definitely see why you didn't say much... There just isn't that much to say

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
That video was absolutely magical, Scruffy. An obvious no-win situation, but oh my god, the suspense.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

It's not really much of a spoiler, but I don't plan on showing it off.

If you're dedicated you can play as the Cultist, it just requires two methods of control and killing off one of the players a lot. The problem with that is that in co-op mode, if you've got a dead player, every chest will be a revival chest. So you don't have as many upgrade opportunities.

The Cultist's past is a one-on-one gunfight with the main character. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mW2uhkjrWo

Oh my god he gets a little apple costume! How cute!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
stuck in shortcut factory send help

More Shortcuts!/Polsy

Who is next to ENTER THE GUNGEON?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
You left money on the floor next to the first boss.

Welp, I didn't know.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 25, 2017

glagglag
Mar 28, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

You left money on the floor next to the first boss.

Credits are automatically collected when you leave the room. You can see the collection symbols after he teleports.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Scruffy never bothered to wait on opening a chest to use the chest teleporter though. Might as well have sold it and bought bullet time for all the good he let it do him.

e: Of course it's the last floor before he dies he gives it a shot.

e2: To contribute a little more, teleported chests either show up in the starting room or boss foyer - the boss foyer is where it'll be upgraded, otherwise it stays whatever rank it had been. On the plus side, chests with broken locks courtesy of Trusty Lockpicks that get teleported will be fully opened on the next floor.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 25, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, a Brent Weeks reference is something I wasn't expecting tbh

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm surprised you didn't use that muncher in 3rd floor shop.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm not critiquing your skills at this game, since you are v. good at it, but I know on a jammed run I'd be using other weapons besides the basic pistol much more frequently, even on early levels.

Edit: Re. the BFG; there's no need to be coy; we're all adults here.

The 'F' stands for friendly!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 26, 2017

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Ha ha, noticed for the first time that poor Smiles' teeth get punched out all over the floor with a little tinkling noise when you KO him.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
Finally got around to picking the game up due to your lp. I've done reasonably well, learning the boss patterns is what's been ending most of my runs, but it is getting better. I can't remember, but did you have any runs where you ran into the shadow magician? All of a sudden I've hit him like every other run the last six or seven runs. Not terribly difficult, but a bit of a surprise the first time I wandered in and saw him.

Anyone know what this door is? I've run into it twice in a row now, wasn't able to enter the first time, it booted me out and took a half heart. Just ran into it again on the next run.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

amishjosh posted:

Finally got around to picking the game up due to your lp. I've done reasonably well, learning the boss patterns is what's been ending most of my runs, but it is getting better. I can't remember, but did you have any runs where you ran into the shadow magician? All of a sudden I've hit him like every other run the last six or seven runs. Not terribly difficult, but a bit of a surprise the first time I wandered in and saw him.

Anyone know what this door is? I've run into it twice in a row now, wasn't able to enter the first time, it booted me out and took a half heart. Just ran into it again on the next run.

It's a grand market. Need at least one curse or 100 shells to enter. All the shopkeeps are there with half price items.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

amishjosh posted:

If you ever come across this door again, shoot it with a water-based weapon for some fun times.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

amishjosh posted:

Unfortunately the Shadow Magician came up in the Lost Episode(tm). Hopefully I'll run into him again soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you ever come across this door again, shoot it with a water-based weapon for some fun times.

What happens? (In spoilers, plz)

• Locked thread