Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

They think improving social support networks will hurt them. They vote against it because they don't want to be hurt. How is that not selfish? It does not matter that they are wrong, all that matters is what they THINK. They then use these thoughts to govern their actions. When they act in a way they think benefits themselves more than others, that is pretty much the dictionary definition of selfish.

People are not INHERENTLY selfish. They are trained to act selfishly through constant bombardment of bullshit. You're mistaking the result of indoctrination for the natural state of humanity.

The idea of "people are inherently selfish" vs "people are inherently cooperative" is the core of left vs right wing political theory. I personally believe that people are naturally cooperative, and elites are just very very good at convincing people otherwise. So good that people behave selfishly and truly believe it's natural, and that even those who say they are left wing believe it's true and a natural flaw to overcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

People are not INHERENTLY selfish. They are trained to act selfishly through constant bombardment of bullshit. You're mistaking the result of indoctrination for the natural state of humanity.

The idea of "people are inherently selfish" vs "people are inherently cooperative" is the core of left vs right wing political theory. I personally believe that people are naturally cooperative, and elites are just very very good at convincing people otherwise. So good that people behave selfishly and truly believe it's natural, and that even those who say they are left wing believe it's true and a natural flaw to overcome.

You could be right, I can only just speak from personal experience. Selfishness isn't unique to conservatives (again, in my experience), even the most liberal of my friends are always looking out for themselves first regardless of their rhetoric that would suggest otherwise.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Humans clearly are a very social species. If you go into some untold wilderness and discover a tribe of cannibals, they will be working together to get their meat. Cooperation is natural.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Septum piercings are never a positive addition to anyone's look.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Septum piercings are never a positive addition to anyone's look.

FTFY. And yes, I'm including earrings.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

FTFY. And yes, I'm including earrings.

I don't know, I think some earrings can be tasteful. The problem is when they draw attention to themselves over everything else. They should just be accessories at most, not features.

With that said, people can wear or pierce whatever they want to and I'd never tell someone they shouldn't wear their ugly bull ring thing. I'm just registering my apparently unpopular opinion based on other people my age that I think it looks bad.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It's a look, like having loud tattoos or brands or whatever. The goal is if anything to not be "tasteful", on purpose.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It's kind of hard to convince people to knowingly vote against their own interests though. I mean, they do it all the time, but they don't think they are.

I don't think it's hard to understand. If you told somebody they're voting against their own interests, I don't think it's controversial to suggest that the most probable response you'll get is going to be, "And who are you to tell me what my own interests are?"

It's not why Brexit happened, but it is why Remain lost.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I think almost all facial piercings look dumb. Dermal anchors are hilarious though, yeah lemme get this painful rear end piercing that's gonna get ripped out in a week.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah those anchors are gross and stupid as hell but so many people get them in the middle of their clavicle or on their forearm or somewhere stupid as poo poo.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

doverhog posted:

Humans clearly are a very social species. If you go into some untold wilderness and discover a tribe of cannibals, they will be working together to get their meat. Cooperation is natural.

To a point. You cooperate with your tribe, but not with other tribes*. Both of these things are in our nature and it's just a matter of where we set the tribal boundaries

* broadly speaking. Tribes form alliances and things all the time but the basic idea of an in-group and an out-group remains.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like every kind of earring. You can almost always make them work. (I say almost to dissuade the goon hastily GISing "ugliest earring" to PROVE ME WRONG. You literalist piece of poo poo.)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Those huge ear gauge things are dumb looking most kd the time. Same for any clothing or enhancement that makes you a hazard or hard to move around.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Horizontal nipple piercings are preferable to vertical nipple piercings.

This is true for male and female bodies, lest any of you think I'm some kind of pervert.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Being able to down drinks really quickly isn't something to be proud of or a sign of an "experienced drinking" any more than a professional speed eater is some sort of foodie. Also shots are stupid, if you don't like the taste of something enough to savour it you should drink something else. Speed drinking shows a total unappreciation for the drink and that the person only drinks to get drunk rather than enjoy their beverage.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Being able to down drinks really quickly isn't something to be proud of or a sign of an "experienced drinking" any more than a professional speed eater is some sort of foodie. Also shots are stupid, if you don't like the taste of something enough to savour it you should drink something else. Speed drinking shows a total unappreciation for the drink and that the person only drinks to get drunk rather than enjoy their beverage.

*tips fedora*

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I'll disagree slightly on the grounds that sometimes getting drunk is its own reward. Otherwise, agreed. Also, drinking games are moderately obnoxious in College, and people older than that who still play drinking games are just shameful.

Just play poker or ping pong and drink at your own drat speed, you'll always have more fun.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Twitch posted:

I'll disagree slightly on the grounds that sometimes getting drunk is its own reward. Otherwise, agreed. Also, drinking games are moderately obnoxious in College, and people older than that who still play drinking games are just shameful.

Just play poker or ping pong and drink at your own drat speed, you'll always have more fun.

https://www.amazon.com/DRINK-PALOOZA-Board-Game-old-school/dp/B008RQ1PSK

Caufman
May 7, 2007
My favorite drinking game is finding a dark room to drink alone in.

My favorite reefer game is wake 'n bake.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Caufman posted:

Horizontal nipple piercings are preferable to vertical nipple piercings.

This is true for male and female bodies, lest any of you think I'm some kind of pervert.

I have never seen or heard of a vertical nipple piercing.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I mean I get drinking games. They are a good way to break the ice in the first couple of hours. But there is a point where it's like ok we've played this poo poo enough let's move on.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

lol

People like you that say "I don't drink alcohol to get drunk, I drink it for the taste :smuggo:" are so full of poo poo and everyone knows it including you. I mean I enjoy a cold beer as much as anyone, but there's plenty of value in doing shots too. I do shots when I want to jumpstart my buzz without consuming a bunch of empty calories mixing it with soda or whatever

bradzilla has a new favorite as of 22:41 on May 25, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Why not both?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Baronjutter posted:

In my circle of friends shots have always been a celebratory thing, like birthday/getting married/ had a kid. Don't get me wrong we used to bang them down back in the day but we'll still do one or two occasionally for nostalgias sake. It's not about catching a buzz at all honestly.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

starkebn posted:

Why not both?

Only two?

Freaking lightweight.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

starkebn posted:

Why not both?

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The best drinking game is putting on a lovely movie and "Drink every time [x]."

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Das Boo posted:

The best drinking game is putting on a lovely movie and "Drink every time [x]."

Put on a white zombie or rob zombie album and drink everytime he says "yeah!"

It's a very short game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I know you're probably thinking this stuff is isolated to the South because you're jastiger, but people are inherently selfish and will usually only help others if it doesn't hurt them in a meaningful/major way to do so.

Yeah, to be 100% honest I only really care on an emotional level about myself and my family and close friends. While I would still make myself vote for the greater good, it would be because I'm forcing myself to adhere to something I rationally realize is more "morally correct" rather than an actual desire on my part. And even then, there are limits to how far I'm willing to go.

Fortunately, it turns out that stuff like helping minorities or providing for the poor doesn't actually have any noticeable negative impacts on anyone other than the rich (who can easily absorb the cost), so this moral dilemma rarely becomes an issue. I think that most people are willing to help others provided that they haven't been convinced that doing so will harm themselves in the process (which is basically what Republicans have managed to convince a bunch of white people about helping minorities). This is why it's so important for Democrats to actively make the case for how they can help people, rather than just relying on everyone voting against Republicans for the greater good. If the Democrats aren't selling an actual positive message, it's easier for folks like Trump to swoop in and say "Yeah I'll make things better for you" and for people to believe them.

It depends how you define "selfish." I think it's definitely true that most people are not willing to noticeably suffer for the sake of others they don't personally know, but I also think people can be convinced to cooperate provided their own needs are already met.

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 23:16 on May 25, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Back this up please, because I'm just as willing to say people are INHERENTLY selfish and have to learn cooperation. Have you ever had to raise kids?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

bradzilla posted:

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at.

Getting drunk as poo poo is awesome and fine, just why not drink something you enjoy rather than a thing you have to seemingly endure? "ewww yuck I gotta drink this tequila really fast then lick this poo poo to get the icky taste out of my mouth!". If you aren't savoring every sip of your tequila drink something else or give it to me. There's no shame in not liking certain hard liquor, just drink something else.

It's like ordering a bunch of really nice sushi then swallowing it all down like a seagull because "oh god I hate the taste of raw fish, I just want to get full really fast!". Order food you like you dumbshit, get full AND enjoy the process.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Getting drunk as poo poo is awesome and fine, just why not drink something you enjoy rather than a thing you have to seemingly endure? "ewww yuck I gotta drink this tequila really fast then lick this poo poo to get the icky taste out of my mouth!". If you aren't savoring every sip of your tequila drink something else or give it to me. There's no shame in not liking certain hard liquor, just drink something else.

It's like ordering a bunch of really nice sushi then swallowing it all down like a seagull because "oh god I hate the taste of raw fish, I just want to get full really fast!". Order food you like you dumbshit, get full AND enjoy the process.

I think you might be projecting your own thoughts of why people are doing what they're doing on to them and then getting mad at them.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Field Mousepad posted:

Put on a white zombie or rob zombie album and drink everytime he says "yeah!"

It's a very short game.

Better game: put on a KMFDM album and drink every time they name check themselves. Finish your drink every time they say that they suck. Have a friend on hand to call an ambulance.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Better game: put on a KMFDM album and drink every time they name check themselves. Finish your drink every time they say that they suck. Have a friend on hand to call an ambulance.

Put on a Skinny Puppy album and drink anytime you don't understand what the hell a lyric is supposed to mean.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

starkebn posted:

Back this up please, because I'm just as willing to say people are INHERENTLY selfish and have to learn cooperation. Have you ever had to raise kids?

It's one of the oldest arguments of all time, but our success as a social species is pretty good evidence.

And get with the times and play a switch / wii based drinking game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Twitch posted:

I've found as I've gotten older that when a drinking game pops up it's usually really half assed and people just do what they want. Also a drink usually means take a sip of your beer, which I was going to do anyways and probably did 10 times before I had to. and then if you don't do it no one says anything.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Solice Kirsk posted:

Put on a Skinny Puppy album and drink anytime you don't understand what the hell a lyric is supposed to mean.

One time I had a fever so bad I was delusional and in that state Skinny Puppy lyrics made perfect sense to me. Sadly this understanding ended with the fever.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I've found as I've gotten older that when a drinking game pops up it's usually really half assed and people just do what they want. Also a drink usually means take a sip of your beer, which I was going to do anyways and probably did 10 times before I had to. and then if you don't do it no one says anything.

Same, I usually drink beer pretty fast because I like most beers very cold. A couple weeks in Yorkshire did give me an appreciation for a nice hand-pumped ale served at cellar temperature, though. (edit: that last bit counts as a PHUA, at least in America)

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

It's also possible to slam back alcohol you like. I like bourbon but I also want to get drunk, so I'm not gonna just sip at the bottle, I'm gonna down that poo poo or pour some shots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have a really hard time sympathizing with people born in privileged or exciting areas. Like say someone spins a sob story about growing up working-class in the Bronx, all I can think is "oh my god, cry me a river. You know how many of us working-class folks from rear end in a top hat of Nowhere, West Texas would literally commit murder to grow up in New York Fuckin City?"

Kids who grow up where I'm from get all the meth and corrupt police, but also have never seen the ocean, or a building over four stories, or a restaurant that isn't subway, mcdonald's, or sonic. Our home is never on tv. No one ever immigrates there, unless maybe they're a day laborer on the down-low. A lovely apartment in a real city might as well be Beverly Hills to hicks like us.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 04:34 on May 26, 2017