Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
actually, god doesnt exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

actually, god doesnt exist

Thank you for enlightening us.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Oh, I just posted about this the other day in another thread:

Neopie posted:

Do tell!

quote:

Aggadata refers to all of the Talmud's nonlegal discussions, including such varied matters as medical advice, historical anecdotes, moral exhortations, and folklore. One particularly well-known bit of aggadata is found in the talmudic tractate Bava Mezia 59b. The aggadata follows a halakhic discussion in which the rabbis debated whether an oven that had become impure could be purified. While almost all the sages felt it couldn't be, Rabbi Eliezer, a lone voice but a great scholar, disagreed:

"On that day, Rabbi Eliezer put forward all the arguments in the world, but the Sages did not accept them.

"Finally, he said to them, 'If the halakha is according to me, let that carob­tree prove it.'

"He pointed to a nearby carob-tree, which then moved from its place a hundred cubits, and some say, four hundred cubits. They said to him 'One cannot bring a proof from the moving of a carob-tree.'

"Said Rabbi Eliezer, 'If the halakha is according to me, may that stream of water prove it.'

"The stream of water then turned and flowed in the opposite direction.

"They said to him, 'One cannot bring a proof from the behavior of a stream of water.'

"Said Rabbi Eliezer, 'If the halakha is according to me, may the walls of the House of Study prove it.'

"The walls of the House of Study began to bend inward. Rabbi Joshua then rose up and rebuked the walls of the House of Study, 'If the students of the Wise argue with one another in halakha," he said, "what right have you to interfere?'

"In honor of Rabbi Joshua, the walls ceased to bend inward; but in honor of Rabbi Eliezer, they did not straighten up, and they remain bent to this day.

"Then, said Rabbi Eliezer to the Sages, 'If the halakha is according to me, may a proof come from Heaven.'

"Then a heavenly voice went forth and said, 'What have you to do with Rabbi Eliezer? The halakha is according to him in every place.'

"Then Rabbi Joshua rose up on his feet, and said, 'It is not in the heavens' (Deuteronomy 30:12).

"What did he mean by quoting this? Said Rabbi Jeremiah, 'He meant that since the Torah has been given already on Mount Sinai, we do not pay attention to a heavenly voice, for You have written in Your Torah, 'Decide according to the majority' (Exodus 23:2).

"Rabbi Nathan met the prophet Elijah. He asked him, 'What was the Holy One, Blessed be He, doing in that hour?'

"Said Elijah, 'He was laughing and saying, "My children have defeated me, my children have defeated me.""'

The British-Jewish scholar and writer Hyam Maccoby has commented: "This extraordinary story strikes the keynote of the Talmud. God is a good father who wants His children to grow up and achieve independence. He has given them His Torah, but now wants them to develop it...."
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/halakha-aggadata-midrash

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

the greatest sagas of Midrashim

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This is actually the most interesting this thread has been in weeks

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There is literally a story in the Talmud/Mishna where a bunch of rabbis basically out-logic God and God literally goes "lol drat you got me, nice job guys"

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 22:06 on May 23, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kelp Me! posted:

There is literally a story in the Talmud/Mishna where a bunch of rabbis out-logic God and God basically goes "lol drat you got me, nice job guys"

Look up a few posts.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Judaism; the Gooniest of religions???

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

A theology where it's almost a requirement to be pedantic as gently caress? Sounds about right to me

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

No, that's atheism

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

A theology where it's almost a requirement to be pedantic as gently caress? Sounds about right to me

That's a pretty negative way of interpreting a religion that welcomes group discussions/debate as an integral part of the whole thing

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Low Desert Punk posted:

No, that's atheism

Specifically new atheism

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah the "well technically" aspect has been present for millennia, it's not merely a coping mechanism for dealing with modern society. It certainly comes off as silly, as all superstitious rituals do, but at the very least it's not new.

I feel like you can see it getting more and more complex throughout Leviticus because people are wondering "why is bad stuff still happening at about the same pace even though we're keeping the law?" and Moses or whoever has to be like "oh no i forgot the one about, uh... you can't give head. You can't fuckin do it anymore, you were never supposed to but now you know" Probably this is not a popular view within Judaism.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Can't believe we don't have a hot take on Job yet.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPHi-8DSJbo

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

swamp waste posted:

I feel like you can see it getting more and more complex throughout Leviticus because people are wondering "why is bad stuff still happening at about the same pace even though we're keeping the law?" and Moses or whoever has to be like "oh no i forgot the one about, uh... you can't give head. You can't fuckin do it anymore, you were never supposed to but now you know" Probably this is not a popular view within Judaism.

I'm not totally sure what idea you're advancing (though I'd love to hear :) ), but the idea that G-d is more present in the early Torah and becomes less obviously present over time, and the relationship of sin to outcome, both of those are pretty important themes in the Torah and in Jewish thought. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_in_Heaven

Deuteronomy 30 posted:

כִּי הַמִּצְוָה הַזֹּאת, אֲשֶׁר אָנֹכִי מְצַוְּךָ הַיּוֹם--לֹא-נִפְלֵאת הִוא מִמְּךָ, וְלֹא רְחֹקָה הִוא.
11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not too hard for thee, neither is it far off.
יב לֹא בַשָּׁמַיִם, הִוא: לֵאמֹר, מִי יַעֲלֶה-לָּנוּ הַשָּׁמַיְמָה וְיִקָּחֶהָ לָּנוּ, וְיַשְׁמִעֵנוּ אֹתָהּ, וְנַעֲשֶׂנָּה.
12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say: 'Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, and make us to hear it, that we may do it?'
יג וְלֹא-מֵעֵבֶר לַיָּם, הִוא: לֵאמֹר, מִי יַעֲבָר-לָנוּ אֶל-עֵבֶר הַיָּם וְיִקָּחֶהָ לָּנוּ, וְיַשְׁמִעֵנוּ אֹתָהּ, וְנַעֲשֶׂנָּה.
13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say: 'Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, and make us to hear it, that we may do it?'
יד כִּי-קָרוֹב אֵלֶיךָ הַדָּבָר, מְאֹד: בְּפִיךָ וּבִלְבָבְךָ, לַעֲשֹׂתוֹ. {ס}
14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it. {S}

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

syscall girl posted:

God's an rear end in a top hat?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

And you just lost the game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

syscall girl posted:

And you just lost the game.

Sorry I have a platinum angel. I can't lose the game.

:smug:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

syscall girl posted:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Specifically new atheism

Glad I'm an old atheist, then. :smug:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Len posted:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hogge Wild posted:

about the goons with hosed up eating habits; didn't the death march guy who wanted to walk through america and didn't get out from the park he started in have some really wonky diet?

In addition to him eating like a kindergartner normally, I remember reading his thread up through the point where he passed out on the trail. All he did was eat a few handfuls of nuts and raisins over two days because he didn't understand how long distance hiking impacts your metabolism.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

In addition to him eating like a kindergartner normally, I remember reading his thread up through the point where he passed out on the trail. All he did was eat a few handfuls of nuts and raisins over two days because he didn't understand how long distance hiking impacts your metabolism.

As I remember that story there were a great many things he didn't understand.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

As I remember that story there were a great many things he didn't understand.

He originally planned to walk across the Texas panhandle in August

Edit-

Oh there was also this bit:

tuyop posted:

75l pack, 35 pounds dry and no camping stove? Hahaha :bravo:

Muerte posted:

I've survived until the age of 26 and I've never cooked a single thing on a stove, actually I have cooked macaroni before. Stop acting like a dipshit. I can pick up a stove at any point if I decide I want one.

Nuns with Guns has a new favorite as of 03:15 on May 24, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nuns with Guns posted:

Edit-

Oh there was also this bit:

I'm glad (he thinks) he's able to lift a stove, but what good will that knowledge do him in the wild? :iiam:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Low Desert Punk posted:

No, that's atheism

Atheism isn't a religion it's a lack of--ah gently caress you got me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm glad (he thinks) he's able to lift a stove, but what good will that knowledge do him in the wild? :iiam:

It shows he has the whole body strength needed to physically fight back against hunger and cold. An important trait for any serious outdoorsman.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Who was that kid who was convinced he was gonna make a great new mmo that was gonna be the best mmo ever? He was gonna build it in Unity and mostly he had a zbrush model of a goblin?

And a logo?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Snak posted:

Who was that kid who was convinced he was gonna make a great new mmo that was gonna be the best mmo ever? He was gonna build it in Unity and mostly he had a zbrush model of a goblin?

And a logo?

It's not Bob's Game, but remember Bob's Game?

:allears:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Snak posted:

And a logo?

Crimson Haze?

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Snak posted:

And a logo?

oh man, I remember this and it was hilarious but I can't remember what it was. wasn't it from one of the Kickstarter threads maybe?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

Crimson Haze?

Yes.

It was before kickstarter was a thing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's not Bob's Game, but remember Bob's Game?

:allears:
Hey, Bob's Game came out!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/529720/bobs_game/

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

That actually looks awesome.

Except that by "every puzzle game" he means "lots variations of tetris."

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
does anyone remember another hosed up goon game

it's name was dragoon something

the game files were filled mostly with language packs

the game cost 25$ and because the developer had studied economics he knew better than other goons how to price his lovely game

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Hogge Wild posted:

does anyone remember another hosed up goon game

it's name was dragoon something

the game files were filled mostly with language packs

the game cost 25$ and because the developer had studied economics he knew better than other goons how to price his lovely game

The Demon Rush
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I Said No posted:

The Demon Rush
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

The same genius behind this masterpiece.

https://youtu.be/U3vr4El4cmI

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Ludicro posted:

The same genius behind this masterpiece.

https://youtu.be/U3vr4El4cmI

I thought Cube wasn't real, but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Imagine four goons on the edge of a cliff