Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I'm personally biased because I was also raped, with my rapist attempting to paint me as the aggressor, so it stuck in my craw. I'm sorry to bring it up, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Under the vegetable posted:

I've mentioned it before. Zoe Quinn by her own description raped Eron Gjoni repeatedly, as well as engaged in other physical and emotional abuse. Later, she sexually harassed Wolf Wozniak at a wedding, upon which he was doxxed and harassed by Phil Fish and hundreds of online dudes, telling him he was never invited to the wedding, deserved whatever happened, etc. As far as I know, she's the only person involved w the "correct" side of the whole fiasco who is in fact a terrible person. Like, Anita makes cool videos, seems like a harmless person, I don't even know who else was involved. Obviously the dudes and nazis on the other side are guilty of many of the same things, and worse things, but to me, you can't excuse behavior like this just because someone is your ideological ally.

I don't have some sort of vendetta against anyone, this is just what happened. It's disgusting to act like this woman is a paragon of coolness and integrity when she's a rapist and abuser.

were you vaccinated

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I get my flu shot every year dude.

Serf
May 5, 2011

so how about them chapo boys

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
:chloe:

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
the newsroom episode was very funny.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I've mentioned it before. Zoe Quinn by her own description raped Eron Gjoni repeatedly, as well as engaged in other physical and emotional abuse. Later, she sexually harassed Wolf Wozniak at a wedding, upon which he was doxxed and harassed by Phil Fish and hundreds of online dudes, telling him he was never invited to the wedding, deserved whatever happened, etc. As far as I know, she's the only person involved w the "correct" side of the whole fiasco who is in fact a terrible person. Like, Anita makes cool videos, seems like a harmless person, I don't even know who else was involved. Obviously the dudes and nazis on the other side are guilty of many of the same things, and worse things, but to me, you can't excuse behavior like this just because someone is your ideological ally.

I don't have some sort of vendetta against anyone, this is just what happened. It's disgusting to act like this woman is a paragon of coolness and integrity when she's a rapist and abuser.

hmm on the other hand

this is every single person who claims to be victimized by gamergate on the internet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Yes, originally I assumed it was all bad people trying to manipulate others for personal gain, and then I realized there actually were a large number of total losers on the internet i had never interacted with and most of it was real.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i would rather watch the newsroom than read :tinfoil: about gamergate

take for instance this very reprehensible and relevant bit that they talked about in the episode that is still even worse than they make it out to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLKNjlVInhA

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

I'm personally biased because I was also raped, with my rapist attempting to paint me as the aggressor, so it stuck in my craw. I'm sorry to bring it up, honestly.

I'm really sorry to hear that. To me at least, it sounds like on some level you take the Gamergate case to be a direct reflection on the validity of your personal experience, which it absolutely should not be; your experience is valid and, indeed, personal. I hope you can find real support in dealing with it, people on the internet aren't going to be too helpful on that front.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Videogames

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Shut the gently caress up about gamergate and read this cool article by Felix in the Washington Post about the Gianforte fight and about how we're all Ben Jacobs, in that we're all soft doughy wimps who have never thrown a punch in our lives:

https://twitter.com/byyourlogic/status/867804163782168576

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

Delany rules. The New Republic just reviewed his new diaries, btw. I haven't read it yet but here you go.

read Dhalgren. it's the sci-fi equivalent of being awake at 3am in a fever-induced fugue state as you sit on the toilet, making GBS threads and weeping

it's real good

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Don't do this

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Shut the gently caress up about gamergate and read this cool article by Felix in the Washington Post about the Gianforte fight and about how we're all Ben Jacobs, in that we're all soft doughy wimps who have never thrown a punch in our lives:

https://twitter.com/byyourlogic/status/867804163782168576

Felix Biederman is a co-host of the podcast Chapo Trap House, the co-creator of Cafe.com's Carl Diggler, and a leading mindset expert.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
felix has had his fair share of fights on the street. presumably over the virtues of twin snakes

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Felix Biederman is a co-host of the podcast Chapo Trap House, the co-creator of Cafe.com's Carl Diggler, and a leading mindset expert.

Hahaha was this actually in the Post or just on their website

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Slanderer posted:

read Dhalgren. it's the sci-fi equivalent of being awake at 3am in a fever-induced fugue state as you sit on the toilet, making GBS threads and weeping

it's real good

Little bit of a trigger warning here as one of the primary themes of dhalgren is how much samuel r delaney wants to gently caress little boys

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Clipperton posted:

Hahaha was this actually in the Post or just on their website

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Besides the fact that's it's funny it's also a good article.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

prefect posted:

Forgot to mention he's a notorious valor thief.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

No I meant is it in the Post's print edition or just the Post website

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/867815669580038146

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
How did Felix get onto the Free Jared thing anyway? Just something he thought was funny one day, or part of his brave pro-pedophilia anti-Gamergate stance?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Clipperton posted:

No I meant is it in the Post's print edition or just the Post website

I'm assuming it's web only

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Halloween Jack posted:

How did Felix get onto the Free Jared thing anyway? Just something he thought was funny one day, or part of his brave pro-pedophilia anti-Gamergate stance?

Everything has to be about irony for your generation, huh? The man has principles.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I realize the episode is like a month old by this point, but Jay Nordlinger can eat a dick. Just got finished going through the museum of African American history and it was exceptional.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I realize the episode is like a month old by this point, but Jay Nordlinger can eat a dick. Just got finished going through the museum of African American history and it was exceptional.
Is it still so popular that you have to reserve tickets?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Lmao shut up nerd

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Is it still so popular that you have to reserve tickets?

Yup! As we were walking up to the entrance there was a family of three being sadly turned away from the door by the ticket taker. If his explanation was right same day tickets go on sale at 6am and are almost always completely sold out by 9.

My only criticism was that John Brown only got about 3 sentences and a single image in the pre-civil war section. The man at least deserves a portion of a full-wall display :(

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1) if the harvard ep was any indication, it was felix's dig at "campus free speech" bullshit by trying to come up with the most ridiculous, most reprehensible idea possible and i guess it kinda grew from there.

2) the best left-leaning video game is the physics-based pipe-smoking simulator calm down, stalin! which tries to encapsulate the difficulties of balancing the threat of thermonuclear war with smacking around a faulty lamp that will not stop with that goddamn flickering

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 25, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

Thread favorite Jeet Heer wrote about all that poo poo in the New Republic in April 2015. I read it with a :chloe: expression the entire time. Science Fiction's White Boys' Club Strikes Back
This led me to a John C. Wright post about Jack Vance, and I am now angry. As a Jack Vance fan I'm pretty sure there's no liberal conspiracy against the works of Jack Vance.

Then it led me to this and holy poo poo, "Gates of Vienna?" Chapo has shown me the Yellow Sign.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

InequalityGodzilla posted:

My only criticism was that John Brown only got about 3 sentences and a single image in the pre-civil war section. The man at least deserves a portion of a full-wall display :(

John Brown should be up there with the Founding Fathers and Lincoln, easily. edit: I mean in people's minds of 'important American heroes', not 'you know who should be on a wall in the Museum of African-American History? THOSE GUYS WHO OWNED SLAVES AND DIDN'T SEE MUCH OF AN ISSUE WITH IT'

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

1) if the harvard ep was any indication, it was felix's dig at "campus free speech" bullshit by trying to come up with the most ridiculous, most reprehensible idea possible and i guess it kinda grew from there.

2) the best left-leaning video game is the physics-based pipe-smoking simulator calm down, stalin! which tries to encapsulate the difficulties of balancing the threat of thermonuclear war with smacking around a faulty lamp that will not stop with that goddamn flickering

They've been on that Fogle tip since before the Harvard episode. I think they just find his story funny and it ballooned from there.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
https://twitter.com/Simon_Barrett/status/867843205328388096

Hell yeah The Guest rules.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Neolib goes on Tinder

https://m.imgur.com/a/2S7Gm

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

that has to be at least a year old, where did you find it?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Breadallelogram posted:

that has to be at least a year old, where did you find it?

Posted today to Chapo subreddit

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

That newsroom episode was hilarious, I have never watched a minute of that show but it does make that stupid rear end willmacelvoyACN twitter account a thousand times funnier in context

Also:
https://twitter.com/JevenSteakobson/status/867852098582573056

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

shut the gently caress up