Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

pangstrom posted:

The rest of the panel seems surprisingly decent.

You have to be loving kidding me:

quote:

Bertha Madras, deputy drug czar to President Bush, told National Public Radio that users shouldn’t have access to naloxone because “sometimes having an overdose, being in an emergency room, having that contact with a healthcare professional, is enough to make a person snap into the reality of the situation and snap into having someone give them services.” Madras told another reporter: “It is not based on good scientific data … It’s based on what some people would consider the right thing to do. But the studies supporting it are so sparse it’s painful.” https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/12/the-fight-for-the-overdose-drug/383467/

quote:

Bertha Madras, deputy director of demand reduction for the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, called San Francisco’s consideration of such a [safe injecting] facility “disconcerting” and “poor public policy.”

“The underlying philosophy is, ’We accept drug addiction, we accept the state of affairs as acceptable,”’ Madras said. “This is a form of giving up.” http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21367579/ns/health-addictions/t/sf-considers-shooting-gallery-drug-addicts/#.WRZKplR_Wf0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

big cock Salaryman posted:

if you're wondering, there is a more potent opioid antidote than naloxone, it's called diprenorphine and they sell it in kits along with the carfentanil for large animals. it is a weird drug, i believe it's a mixed-agonist-antagonist so while it will pull someone out of carfentanil death it may get an opioid-naive person high? not alot of data on its use.
Sadly, not approved for use in humans.

Honestly, unless a carfentanil bomb lands in The Tracks in the middle of the night, we're okay -- most people are pretty easy to intubate and only once have I had no vents left (and that was brief). Generally speaking, the biggest problem with naloxone is that it's too effective with the run-of-the-mill overdose. At some point people decided to slam in 2mg with anyone who needed to be reversed, when the actual initial dose is one-fiftieth that. But hey, it comes in 2mg vials for a reason, right? And then you have people barfing and crapping all over the place (I once opened a door to a room and saw a ninety-pound woman in her early twenties stand up on the bed, bend over, pull up the back of her gown, and spray liquid poo poo on a wall that was four feet away), plus other more serious complications like post-obstructive pulmonary edema. The medics and some nurses, though, treat naloxone like a solely punitive measure instead of a life-saving device.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Serious question relating to the approach of giving addicts a safe/clean/free place to use.

How would this work for people with kids in America? Is there free childcare included with this service?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Danknificent posted:

Serious question relating to the approach of giving addicts a safe/clean/free place to use.

How would this work for people with kids in America? Is there free childcare included with this service?

I've no idea whether they allow or bar children at supervised injecting sites in other countries, but either option is still clearly superior to not having the sites at all.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

jabby posted:

still clearly superior to not having the sites at all.

Well, you say that. And I'm inclined to agree, at least for addicts who don't have kids. But for those that do, I'm just trying to think this through.

The childcare providers would have to be mandated reporters; so if parents actually went and made use of that childcare, that would result in a lot of hotlines and a lot of kids being taken into protective custody. So even if there was that option, a lot of parents wouldn't use it. So what would they do? Leave the kids unsupervised, which would lead to hotlines? Or leave the kids with someone else? If they have someone trustworthy, that works. If they don't, then they're taking a new risk, one which also has potential for hotlines. It seems like a lot of risk and hassle for parents to make use of something like that, and I imagine a lot of addicts would rather just stay home. Walking into one of these places with your kid would be like raising your hand and saying "That's what my life was missing; CPS,"

That's not to say these services couldn't do good, but addicted parents are a major subset of the addict population, and it's not clear to me how this could work for a lot of them. I don't know how many of them would see using in a safe environment in exchange for losing their kids as a net gain, and if they have to jump through hoops/take risks with their kids to use it, why not just stay home and keep doing what they're doing?

Just thinking out loud.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

No, that's a reasonable thought - the hard question is, do we decriminalize/legalize for everyone EXCEPT those who put others in danger with their usage? Including addicts with kids? I don't really care if my neighbor wants to spike some heroin every night, provided it means he's not out harming anyone, or abandoning his kids in the process. I'd feel bad for him and would wish he'd seek help but ultimately that's his choice.

So maybe an awareness campaign - "If you are an addict and want to use safely, we will help you. If you have kids and want to use safely, we will help you but your kids will be put into CPS/foster care until you can demonstrate that you've been clean and in some sort of program for X months. If you have kids and continue to use, and you get caught, your kids will still be put in the system and you will be prosecuted for child endangerment."

There is no perfect solution - some people will always buck the system. But if it gives parents with an addiction an option, let's try it.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
perhaps one can have their kids if they have enough rapport in a methadone program to have take-home doses so they dont drag their kid to the clinic every day? this also demonstrates several months of passing drug tests and generally taking poo poo seriously and not using needles

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

KingEup posted:

You have to be loving kidding me:
I would expect she's come around on at least some of that in the last 10 years but she's the worst one, yeah.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Danknificent posted:

Well, you say that. And I'm inclined to agree, at least for addicts who don't have kids. But for those that do, I'm just trying to think this through.

The childcare providers would have to be mandated reporters; so if parents actually went and made use of that childcare, that would result in a lot of hotlines and a lot of kids being taken into protective custody. So even if there was that option, a lot of parents wouldn't use it. So what would they do? Leave the kids unsupervised, which would lead to hotlines? Or leave the kids with someone else? If they have someone trustworthy, that works. If they don't, then they're taking a new risk, one which also has potential for hotlines. It seems like a lot of risk and hassle for parents to make use of something like that, and I imagine a lot of addicts would rather just stay home. Walking into one of these places with your kid would be like raising your hand and saying "That's what my life was missing; CPS,"

That's not to say these services couldn't do good, but addicted parents are a major subset of the addict population, and it's not clear to me how this could work for a lot of them. I don't know how many of them would see using in a safe environment in exchange for losing their kids as a net gain, and if they have to jump through hoops/take risks with their kids to use it, why not just stay home and keep doing what they're doing?

Just thinking out loud.

This is just a catch-22 with no perfect solution. If an addict makes themselves known to services and they have kids, those services have to assess whether or not the child is in danger. You can't not do that, even if it will inevitably put some addicts off presenting themselves.

The best solution of course is to provide as much support as possible with housing, welfare, healthcare, addiction management etc. to enable addicts to keep their kids with them and the kids to be safe.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

jabby posted:

The best solution of course is to provide as much support as possible with housing, welfare, healthcare, addiction management etc. to enable addicts to keep their kids with them and the kids to be safe.
There is part of me that would love for you overseas docs to come visit me at work to see what it's like here, but a larger part of me is just so embarrassed by how poorly Americans treat ... anyone who isn't themselves, really.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

tetrapyloctomy posted:

There is part of me that would love for you overseas docs to come visit me at work to see what it's like here, but a larger part of me is just so embarrassed by how poorly Americans treat ... anyone who isn't themselves, really.

hell you dont even need to be at a hospital to see it. free viewing everywhere

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

big cock Salaryman posted:

hell you dont even need to be at a hospital to see it. free viewing everywhere

Remember that time a wealthy suburban community tried to get rid of a statue of Jesus as a homeless guy on a bench because they initially didn't realize what it was, then because they were pissed off at the implications that they'd do exactly what they'd tried to have done?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Sadly, not approved for use in humans.

Honestly, unless a carfentanil bomb lands in The Tracks in the middle of the night, we're okay -- most people are pretty easy to intubate and only once have I had no vents left (and that was brief). Generally speaking, the biggest problem with naloxone is that it's too effective with the run-of-the-mill overdose. At some point people decided to slam in 2mg with anyone who needed to be reversed, when the actual initial dose is one-fiftieth that. But hey, it comes in 2mg vials for a reason, right? And then you have people barfing and crapping all over the place (I once opened a door to a room and saw a ninety-pound woman in her early twenties stand up on the bed, bend over, pull up the back of her gown, and spray liquid poo poo on a wall that was four feet away), plus other more serious complications like post-obstructive pulmonary edema. The medics and some nurses, though, treat naloxone like a solely punitive measure instead of a life-saving device.

poo poo, we get it as 0.4 mg up here in Canada. Even that'll wake someone way the hell up if they're down on morphine or hydromorphone or whatnot. Takes two or three vials to reverse a fentanyl shot though.

It's kind of funny seeing the number of people these days who come in saying they want to get on suboxone to get off the 'heroin.' So I test their urine, and without exception the 'heroin' is just fentanyl, as in it's the only opioid in their system. No carfentanil yet, thank God.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Albino Squirrel posted:

poo poo, we get it as 0.4 mg up here in Canada. Even that'll wake someone way the hell up if they're down on morphine or hydromorphone or whatnot. Takes two or three vials to reverse a fentanyl shot though.

It's kind of funny seeing the number of people these days who come in saying they want to get on suboxone to get off the 'heroin.' So I test their urine, and without exception the 'heroin' is just fentanyl, as in it's the only opioid in their system. No carfentanil yet, thank God.
0.04mg supposedly is enough to get someone breathing without waking them up or throwing them into withdrawal. I say "supposedly" because I've never been able to convince a nurse to use less than 0.4mg except in one case where a guy with a ruptured large bowel got just a touch too much analgesia and I wanted him to breathe but not be in pain. In any case, if EMS brings someone in they've bothered to reverse, that patient has received 2mg at minimum no matter the route. (The worst was someone they gave 4mg intranasal ... three times. She was the color of wet spackle and started barfing and making GBS threads juuuuuust as they put her in a room.)

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I have to wonder why the dealers aren't honest about it. It seems like they could make more money selling it as fentanyl rather than cutting it with a bunch of poo poo and passing it off as heroin. You don't even need to inject it, which would make the market even larger.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Konstantin posted:

I have to wonder why the dealers aren't honest about it. It seems like they could make more money selling it as fentanyl rather than cutting it with a bunch of poo poo and passing it off as heroin. You don't even need to inject it, which would make the market even larger.
Some people do abuse fentanyl -- steeping analgesia patches to make fentanyl tea, for example. As an injection drug, though, it's not the best. The high reportedly is fantastic, but very short duration, which is why it's common to use fentanyl plus midazolam for conscious sedation when, say, reducing dislocation hips and such.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The high reportedly is fantastic, but very short duration, which is why it's common to use fentanyl plus midazolam for conscious sedation when, say, reducing dislocation hips and such.

Yea, in Vice's documentary on fentanyl abusers pretty much everyone on it would rather be on heroin because they could go longer without getting sick.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Someone tested drugs supplied by users at a safe injection site in Toronto and found that 80% of the cocaine and methamphetamine contained fentanyl.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/05/15/safe-injection-site-tests-show-approximately-80-of-drugs-contain-deadly-fentanyl

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
fentanyl deaths in Massachusetts averaged about 5 a day last year.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
The tide continues to rise on this insanity- now two addiction counselors at a halfway house were found dead of fentanyl overdose.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...2ddb_story.html

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dmitri-9 posted:

Someone tested drugs supplied by users at a safe injection site in Toronto and found that 80% of the cocaine and methamphetamine contained fentanyl.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/05/15/safe-injection-site-tests-show-approximately-80-of-drugs-contain-deadly-fentanyl

What the gently caress? Why would Coke and meth have fent cut into it? I don't mean to sound too conspiratorial but I can't think of a reason a dealer would do that. That's something you do if you want to kill people.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

empty whippet box posted:

What the gently caress? Why would Coke and meth have fent cut into it? I don't mean to sound too conspiratorial but I can't think of a reason a dealer would do that. That's something you do if you want to kill people.
I don't really know the street scene but seems like you would at least sell them as speedballs. Sometimes dealers don't really know what they have and fentanyl is cheap as heck to make though so that's probably part of why it's showing up in everything.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

empty whippet box posted:

Helps increase the chance of you getting addicted.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

According to reports it's been popping up in an apparently non-insignificant amount of MDMA in Toronto also.

One theory is dealers aren't exactly the most safe when it comes to cross-contamination (i.e. it could be accidental). And with something that potent that's loving spooky.

Regardless, it's been occasionally killing club kids lately.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/04/08/1-dead-four-others-in-hospital-following-ecstasy-overdoses.html

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 25, 2017

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Yeah, speedballs are popular in my hospital's catchment area. And as stated, I'm going to guess street-level dealers aren't all that concerned with cross-contaminated product.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Maybe it's just a harder story to write about and/or the condition is less-reliably recorded but it seems like there should be a lot of brain damaged people who almost-fatally OD'd.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Funny you should mention it ...

I'm sure there are better data out there than some intensivist spitballing "90% of overdose survivors in the ICU," but it certainly doesn't sound too great, does it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
lol fentanyl. That's weak poo poo. Here in New Hampshire people are overdosing on Carfentanil. Which is 100x stronger. Its sole purpose is for tranquilizing large game such as elephants.

http://www.unionleader.com/social-issues/Officials-Six-carfentanil-OD-deaths-in-NH-this-year-05242017

:smith:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm sure there are better data out there than some intensivist spitballing "90% of overdose survivors in the ICU," but it certainly doesn't sound too great, does it.

What the gently caress?

How is this not a bigger deal? Everyone talks about the tragedy of OD deaths, but apparently we're creating a exponentially greater number of brain-damage victims? They were already desperate and addicted before, adding in brain damage seems like a slow death sentence for them and everyone in their communities. And now the GOP wants to cut Medicaid by 800 billion...

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
There's a good amount that "survive" an OD and end up being in a coma with little to no brain left and needing a breathing machine. They'll "live" in a nursing home until an infection from a pressure sore or pneumonia gets them. There aren't any good statistics about how many people end up like this and they may not eventually be included in the number of overdose deaths.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

the black husserl posted:

What the gently caress?

How is this not a bigger deal? Everyone talks about the tragedy of OD deaths, but apparently we're creating a exponentially greater number of brain-damage victims? They were already desperate and addicted before, adding in brain damage seems like a slow death sentence for them and everyone in their communities. And now the GOP wants to cut Medicaid by 800 billion...

quote:

Senator Jim Lankford (R-Oklahoma) was speaking to Chuck Todd about the CBO report this afternoon. When Todd asked him about CBO’s esitimate that 23 Million people would lose healthcare under Trumpcare, his response was (and I had to rewind to make sure I heard it correctly) “That really doesn’t bother me”

Our Government-NOT OUR PROBLEM *rolls around on money

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Lote posted:

There's a good amount that "survive" an OD and end up being in a coma with little to no brain left and needing a breathing machine. They'll "live" in a nursing home until an infection from a pressure sore or pneumonia gets them. There aren't any good statistics about how many people end up like this and they may not eventually be included in the number of overdose deaths.

People don't realize this enough. You go into the ICU for any reason you are hosed unless proven otherwise. It's a last ditch effort to keep you alive and oftentimes ends in that same sad scenario of slow, painful decline and inevitable death by inches.

I can't see fentanyl being intrinsically more prone to causing anoxic brain injury than other opiates, the mechanism is the same. The difference is the circumstances of the overdose, time down and the wildly variable potency that makes ODing so commonplace

ODs are the number one source of brain death and spare parts for the transplant machine at my hospital. We are a rich white people hospital so not a lot of ODs are dumped on our doorstep, but we get more than a few ICU transfers for neuro eval or MRI or what have you from the less rich less white parts of the state that had overdoses on some flavor of opiates.

It's always tragic and miserable for everyone involved. The transfers are the worst because coming here gives the family false hope and these people are usually young and for the most part healthy-ish. A lot of the time we just keep their organs alive long enough to be transplantable.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

They are treating fentanyl like a drug problem but they should be treating it like an industrial contaminant or chemical weapon and crack down on the super labs that are making this stuff.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dmitri-9 posted:

They are treating fentanyl like a drug problem but they should be treating it like an industrial contaminant or chemical weapon and crack down on the super labs that are making this stuff.

No, this won't help. It is not something you need a 'super lab' to make, and even a kilo of fentanyl or worse, acetyl/carfentanil is enough for millions of doses. The only solution that will ever actually work is the end of the war on drugs. If people could take these drugs in safe environments, knowing what they were getting and its potency, there would be zero or close to zero overdose deaths. Opiates are not some loose cannon that you simply can't control - they are made that way by prohibition and the drug war.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dmitri-9 posted:

The "super labs" are in the same places that legitimate fentanyl &c come from. Namely, China, India, etc.

Cracking down on precursor manufacture basically made qualuuddes go away entirely but I don't see that with fentanyl or anything else as there are legitimate uses for those drugs as well as for their precursors.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

pangstrom posted:

I don't really know the street scene but seems like you would at least sell them as speedballs. Sometimes dealers don't really know what they have and fentanyl is cheap as heck to make though so that's probably part of why it's showing up in everything.

Cross-contamination is a massive, massive issue with something as strong as fentanyl, though. You can be killed by somebody opening a bag of it in the same room as you. That stuff does not gently caress around. It doesn't take much of it at all accidentally finding its way into something else to make people die. Aside from the opioid epidemic police in some places now just carry naloxone everywhere they go because fentanyl is so deadly. Get a call for an overdose, find a dead person, get a bit of fentanyl in your system, now you're dead too! Hurray! With it becoming increasingly common it's actually kind of horrifying.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Cross-contamination is a massive, massive issue with something as strong as fentanyl, though. You can be killed by somebody opening a bag of it in the same room as you. That stuff does not gently caress around. It doesn't take much of it at all accidentally finding its way into something else to make people die. Aside from the opioid epidemic police in some places now just carry naloxone everywhere they go because fentanyl is so deadly. Get a call for an overdose, find a dead person, get a bit of fentanyl in your system, now you're dead too! Hurray! With it becoming increasingly common it's actually kind of horrifying.

That's a little extreme, but the stuff is dosed medically in micrograms. Look up the phenazepam threads in TCC if you want an idea of what a great idea it is to eyeball something that potent.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Rhandhali posted:

The "super labs" are in the same places that legitimate fentanyl &c come from. Namely, China, India, etc.

Cracking down on precursor manufacture basically made qualuuddes go away entirely but I don't see that with fentanyl or anything else as there are legitimate uses for those drugs as well as for their precursors.

There are a hundred research chemicals you can't get any more because they are controlled in both China and the US.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That literally happened to an officer somewhere in my region recently. I'll have to find the news report though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Carfent isn't a drug problem, it's a chemical weapons problem.