Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IuniusBrutus posted:

If I am able to get a Pixel C for a good price, is that a bad idea at this point?
Partly depends what a good price is. But it's still the nicest Android tablet ever made and performs beautifully. The only question is how many OS updates Google have in mind for it as it's over a year old already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
My Pixel C actually has run better since Nougat. It's buttery smooth and apps run super fast. I'd still highly recommend it.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

BottleKnight posted:

My Pixel C actually has run better since Nougat. It's buttery smooth and apps run super fast. I'd still highly recommend it.

Wouldn't hurt to wait a few days in case they announce something at io.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FunOne posted:

Wouldn't hurt to wait a few days in case they announce something at io.
They don't really announce Android hardware at I/O these days. There was Home but that didn't turn up for another six months.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Tunga posted:

They don't really announce Android hardware at I/O these days. There was Home but that didn't turn up for another six months.

They haven't the last few years, but seriously, its tomorrow, it won't hurt to wait a day and see if they say anything.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

If I am able to get a Pixel C for a good price, is that a bad idea at this point?

Still the fastest Android tablet on the market. I love my pixel-c.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I just got a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro with the projector, and it's pretty sweet so far! I'm still installing and updating stuff though. It seems nice as-is, build quality, display, speakers, performance. That projector is the gimmick though, and without it I couldn't conclusively recommend it over a Pixel C or some other nice tablet as long as the prices were comparable.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Hmm I'm seriously thinking of picking up a $50 fire tablet for a friend.

Can these be easily customized these days with google play access or a custom launcher? Is it even worth it on such cheap hardware?

Either way, I figure I can't go wrong with it for $50, right?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Google Play is easily sideloaded via a few APK files. Custom Launchers are kind of a no-go though, as the Home button automatically takes you to the Fire homescreen. There are apps that can launch the replacement, but there's still a lag. If you are able to root the device, then it's possible to completely replace the launcher.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
yeesh, after looking at the specs of the device, I might just get my friend a google play gift card and tell her to stick with her phone (which has 4x the pixel density than the Fire 7)

I know it's a $50 tablet and all but yikes

Anyone who has one, are they passable as an e-reader/netflix machine or are the shortcomings going to be painfully obvious in 2017? I think my friend currently has an S7, I'm thinking the gap in quality will be too big

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KingSlime posted:

yeesh, after looking at the specs of the device, I might just get my friend a google play gift card and tell her to stick with her phone (which has 4x the pixel density than the Fire 7)

Anyone who has one, are they passable as an e-reader/netflix machine or are the shortcomings going to be painfully obvious in 2017? I think my friend currently has an S7, I'm thinking the gap in quality will be too big

It's been posted about a lot in this thread. The consensus seems to be it's fine as a basic content consumption machine. Almost a no-brainer for $50.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KingSlime posted:

If they want an ereader, get them an e-Ink Kindle, it'll be far better.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Reading+TV+comics/visual novels seems to be the main hook, so an e-ink display is a no-go (they're definitely the best as far as purely reading goes, for sure).

Maybe I should order one for myself as a trial run! God drat do I have a problem with buying cheap, lovely tech that I don't need "just for fun"

*looks at chinese android gamepad from 2015 that is collecting dust in a drawer somewhere*

E: Also I just saw that a minor refresh is around the corner, I might be better off holding off til reviews trickle in

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Honestly, the $50 Amazon tablets aren't that bad. Mine has some backlight bleed on the screen but actual hardware works well enough. It's easy to sideload the Play Store and it can play most games.

I upgraded to the 8 inch one and relegated my 7 to Swagbucks duty (since I dropped it a couple of times and bent the microusb)

KingSlime posted:

E: Also I just saw that a minor refresh is around the corner, I might be better off holding off til reviews trickle in

It's already out.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Really? I'm reading that they're out on June 7th though?

Also, thoughts on 7 vs 8? I'm kinda wanting to get one for myself just for fun now, esp at that price

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Also, thoughts on 7 vs 8? I'm kinda wanting to get one for myself just for fun now, esp at that price

The 8 has better hardware all around than the 7, including but not limited to the display. Note that it's not the "HD" 7, because they're using that to literally mean "720P", which is quite a low bar for their 8" tablet but the 7" only has a WSVGA display. :stare:
Here's some relevant hardware info.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

KingSlime posted:

Sorry, you can preorder it now but they don't start shipping until June. From a few articles I read, the new 7 is 20 ounces lighter, has slightly better battery life (rated 8 hours instead of 7 in mixed use) and dual-band wifi instead of single.

I like my 8 better. It's not a drastic upgrade but it feels better overall and the screen doesn't have any issues. If you're looking for something to goof around with, you can probably get away with just getting the $50 one.

I followed this tutorial to install google play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymz6B7dNrt4

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 19, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Upon my better judgement, I decided to buy a tablet for fun after all. This is after I sold my Asus Zenpad 8c a few months ago by the way, mostly because I never used it. But I'd always been dying to try out a 7 inch "skinnier" form factor so after getting excited over the Fire 7, I decided to spend more for something slightly better.

So I went for a Samsung Tab A 7 (I saw one for $120 during my lunch break), certainly not at the sweet price point for "impulse purchases" like the FIre 7 but hey, the extra screen resolution and RAM should be worth it, right?

Err, it absolutely is, and not in a great way! The device is decently snappy for the most part, but it's already chugged a few times, paritcuarly when browsing certain sites. The resolution is low, but passable. The screen itself is pretty solid and colors look great, especially at this price point.

I can't imagine anything lower than this though, especially that resolution... *looks sharply at Fire 7*. Overall it performs well enough, but I can tell how it might feel underpowered to someone who uses it as their main device. It's probably slower than your phone (I suspect 2.5ghz wifi could be a culprit here).

I mostly want to read books and have Netflix randomly so I'm pretty happy with it. As far as the form factor, it's perfect. I kinda got over the iPad ratio on my zenpad because it made the device a little clunkier than it had to be, so I'm glad I finally got to try on this form factor. It feels really great for books (kinda wish Asus had kept this aspect ratio for their latest zenpad refresh tbh).

Point is, I would have probably been really unhappy with the Fire 7 because this device barely "cuts it for me," even with its price point in mind. It will make for a great bedside and living room device/book reader/home spotify control center, etc. but not much past that.

Also I think I just like buying tablets and can't explain it :sigh:

Let's see how long I hold on to this one before I pawn it off on SA Mart! Day Zero impression however is postiive. I definitely like it! Will I use it reguarly? Hopefully.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 24, 2017

smr
Dec 18, 2002

KingSlime posted:

Upon my better judgement, I decided to buy a tablet for fun after all. This is after I sold my Asus Zenpad 8c a few months ago by the way, mostly because I never used it. But I'd always been dying to try out a 7 inch "skinnier" form factor so after getting excited over the Fire 7, I decided to spend more for something slightly better.

So I went for a Samsung Tab A 7 (I saw one for $120 during my lunch break), certainly not at the sweet price point for "impulse purchases" like the FIre 7 but hey, the extra screen resolution and RAM should be worth it, right?

Err, it absolutely is, and not in a great way! The device is decently snappy for the most part, but it's already chugged a few times, paritcuarly when browsing certain sites. The resolution is low, but passable. The screen itself is pretty solid and colors look great, especially at this price point.

I can't imagine anything lower than this though, especially that resolution... *looks sharply at Fire 7*. Overall it performs well enough, but I can tell how it might feel underpowered to someone who uses it as their main device. It's probably slower than your phone (I suspect 2.5ghz wifi could be a culprit here).

I mostly want to read books and have Netflix randomly so I'm pretty happy with it. As far as the form factor, it's perfect. I kinda got over the iPad ratio on my zenpad because it made the device a little clunkier than it had to be, so I'm glad I finally got to try on this form factor. It feels really great for books (kinda wish Asus had kept this aspect ratio for their latest zenpad refresh tbh).

Point is, I would have probably been really unhappy with the Fire 7 because this device barely "cuts it for me," even with its price point in mind. It will make for a great bedside and living room device/book reader/home spotify control center, etc. but not much past that.

Also I think I just like buying tablets and can't explain it :sigh:

Let's see how long I hold on to this one before I pawn it off on SA Mart! Day Zero impression however is postiive. I definitely like it! Will I use it reguarly? Hopefully.

I've bought and sold back two Pixel C's since they first came out (REALLY like it, but holy gently caress is the lack of a fingerprint reader a dealbreaker for me now) and the only other tablets that I feel are even worth considering are the K1 (but drat is that one getting old now), and the Galaxy Tab S line. I have a Fire 7 just for dicking around (and yeah, that screen is hot garbage, but the rest of the package is compelling) and a Tab S2 8.0 which... I surprisingly like quite a lot.

I got it used off of Swappa for like $220 and I'm fine with it being my standard Android tablet. Screen is frankly great, I was able to shut off the stupid auto-lightup on the Samsung hardware buttons, and the version of Touchwiz that's ontop of Android 6 here is somehow way less annoying on a tablet than it is on a phone for me (this is my first Samsung device since the original Nexus). Rumors of it even getting Nougat soon seem to be getting louder, which, if it happens, will probably fix the last few niggles I have with it.

So, I dunno, if the lesser Tab is almost there for you, you can probably find a Tab S2 8.0 used on Swappa for about what you paid for the Tab A new, and you'll like it a lot more methinks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I also currently have a Tab S2 8.0 and like it a lot too. It's a pretty good deal when you can get it under $300.

I also have a Pixel C and I really want to like it more than I do. It performs great, but it's just a tad bit too chunky and a tad bit too heavy.

It also has bad screen uniformity that bugs me more than anything else. The edges all dim just a little too much and they have a yellow tinge on white and grey screens. It's "within spec" according to Google and many others have reported it. The screen is otherwise nice with high brightness, high dpi, and good colors. But the yellow tinge around the edges makes me not want to use it.

My SP3 developed the same issue, I got it replaced about a year after I bought it, but now the new one is starting to show the same problem.

At this point I may sell off everything except the Tab S2 (including my Chromebook) and just get a new Surface Pro. Small (phone), medium (Tab S2), large (Surface Pro.)

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

My main complaint about the current Kindle Fire 7 is that it's too slow. Will the new fire 8 be noticeably faster?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Acer announces new 10-inch tablets, one with a pseudo-quantum dot display.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I got really excited when I saw that this morning, except that it's Acer and they have a very consistent habit of abandoning the poo poo out of their Android tablets, and a lot of their earlier models had serious problems with sleep of death.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

N7 '13 is about to die and I've been looking at serious alt to the 7-8" lineup but I'm wondering why is the Shield 16GB approx $300 on ebay when it's an old tablet? Did they stop manufacturing them a few months ago which caused a price jump? Is it the FOR GAMERS label that's boosting prices?!

In related news, I checked out some Fire tablets in-person and I'm considering the 8" one as my replacement once I save up funds and root it to remove dumb apps.

Virtue posted:

My main complaint about the current Kindle Fire 7 is that it's too slow. Will the new fire 8 be noticeably faster?

How slow is too slow? I'm just reading some ebooks, checking email, and watching LPs on YT not editing PDFs.

Alder fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 29, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Alder posted:

N7 '13 is about to die and I've been looking at serious alt to the 7-8" lineup but I'm wondering why is the Shield 16GB approx $300 on ebay when it's an old tablet? Did they stop manufacturing them a few months ago which caused a price jump? Is it the FOR GAMERS label that's boosting prices?!

It may be old, but it's still pretty much the best tablet for game stuff, and it's very popular. That keeps the prices high.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Nvidia can't seem to keep up production to always have it in stock either.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Alder posted:

N7 '13 is about to die and I've been looking at serious alt to the 7-8" lineup

Same and I've read some rumours about a N7 2017 coming in oct/nov. Anyone got more info on this?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Same and I've read some rumours about a N7 2017 coming in oct/nov. Anyone got more info on this?

I think there have been rumors of a new Nexus 7 every year.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You know, I was thinking about upgrading to the N7 2017, but now I'm thinking I'd rather get the N7 2018. Thoughts?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Alder posted:

In related news, I checked out some Fire tablets in-person and I'm considering the 8" one as my replacement once I save up funds and root it to remove dumb apps.

The new Fire HD 8 comes out in a week, but there's a good chance it won't be rootable for a while, if ever.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LastInLine posted:

You know, I was thinking about upgrading to the N7 2017, but now I'm thinking I'd rather get the N7 2018. Thoughts?

I'm holding out for the N7 2020, myself.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Google didn't announce anything in I/O so I'm going to presume it's over for N7 series which is a shame :(

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The new Fire HD 8 comes out in a week, but there's a good chance it won't be rootable for a while, if ever.

drat, I enjoyed rooting my devices for no reason too much to give that up. I guess I can deal with my old N7 for another few months.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Alder posted:

Google didn't announce anything in I/O so I'm going to presume it's over for N7 series which is a shame :(

Android tablets, in general, are dead outside of the Fire series, some really cheap Chinese poo poo, and the occasional Samsung fling.

As far as Google is concerned, the future of Android tablets is convertible Chromebooks. The Samsung Chromebook Plus and Pro are what's viewed as the future of these devices.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Honestly Nvidia could just slap another 2GB of RAM into the Shield tablet to bump it up to 4 and it would do wonders. It's fast enough most of the time, but there's been a few times where Google Music gets kicked out of memory or something like that because I brought up a heavy website or some bullshit

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, the K1 chip is pretty long in the tooth at this point.

That said, refreshing with an X1 would be pretty nice, but Nvidia is out of the portable game (outside of providing the chips to Nintendo and building existing products.)

The Shield tablet and ShieldTV are well supported devices from Nvidia, but they've made it clear they aren't going to be developing new products for this market.

The sad part is that we have extremely nice middle end products from Qualcomm now that would make a pretty bitching middle of the range tablet. The newer Snapdragon 600 processors with a 1440 screen of decent quality would be 99% of a tablet most people would need and really wouldn't be all that expensive.

I just want Google to make it so it gets regular updates.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Just the same rumor mill that's been a source of disappointment for the last few years. So hey, what's one more. :dance:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw the new Fire HD 8 tablet doesn't have a gyroscope

That's going to make a lot of games/apps useless, I reckon

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 31, 2017

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ASUS quietly unveils the ZenPad 3S 8.0 at Computex

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Price will determine whether or not that is worth it. It's gotta be sub $300. It's essentially a Galaxy Tab S2 8.0. Specs are pretty much the same aside from the 4gb/64gb option. Same SoC, same resolution screen. The Tab S2 has an AMOLED display though which gives it a leg up. You can easily snag a Tab S2 under $300 on sale right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google's efforts for Android on ChromeOS are not going smoothly.

As of right now, only 6 Chromebooks have Android support in the Stable channel and only a handful more in the beta channel (my HP Chromebook 13 just recently got support in beta rather than dev.)

Sales of the Samsung Chromebook Pro have essentially halted due to some dire bugs that are causing devices to restart on their own.

It seems that Google is having a hard time getting Android support working well on Intel Chromebooks, which means you should really look for an ARM Chromebook if you want max Android speed and compatibility. However, Intel Chromebooks obliterate ARM Chromebooks in ChromeOS performance. For example, my HP Chromebook 13 gets about 3x the octane score of the new Samsung Chromebook Plus.

It seems there just aren't a lot of good choices now.

In other news, $100 has been lopped off the Galaxy Tab S3 already.

That's actually enticing. I'm still in my return window for my Tab S2 8.0 and $200 more for a newer tablet is getting me to consider it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 5, 2017