Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

wdarkk posted:

Can you safely put plastic that was clipped off a sprue in a sonic cleaner? I want to redo some stuff I painted where I messed up a bit with gloss medium and I was wondering if I could use my sonic cleaner to speed it up. The warning that it can damage soft gemstones like emerald gave me some pause. I assume it's a really bad idea to use it with resin.

I use it for plastic and resin miniatures without issues. For some reason it cleans resin way better than plastic for me, probably something to do with how paint adheres to resin I guess.
It can weaken glue, but thats about it in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nothing But Hate posted:

Thanks for that and yea the classic look is what I'll be aiming for. What would be best for basic highlights? I would hope I can achieve a step above "tabletop quality".

The necron compound is the highlights.

Leadbelcher - base
Nuln Oil - wash (shade)
Necron Compound - drybrush (highlights)

Necrons are the easiest models to paint in the universe. Flat base paint, shade, then drybrush, DONE. Its soooo freaking easy. I can crank out 20 necron warriors in the time it takes me to paint 1 ork boy or space marine.

I guess if you really wanna be fancy, just pick any color layer paint you want. A lighter silver like Runefang Steel can go over the leadbelcher, but necron compound and nuln oil is enough for most necrons other than like your HQs.

If you wanna go past basic necrons, pick a color scheme that isn't just silver and black. Add some teal or brass or gold.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 24, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Ceramic Necrons also look rad.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Or just mix poo poo up and go with something other than silver and green. Like, say, gold and red!

With some black accents!

And red-and-black living metal!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Been awhile since I've been able to paint anything, and it shows, but feels good to finish something.

It's a special PG-only model given out as a thank you when Privateer had to close the program, if you're wondering.

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness
Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys. I've put a bid on some assembled unpainted warriors so if I win that auction I'll start buying paints to suit. And I think I've found a place to get reasonably priced brushes in New Zealand which was an arduous task in itself.

Those gold, red and black necrons look sweet I might try and do one or two in a similar scheme when I see how the basic ones turn out.

One last question, is it worth paying $30 for a can of chaos black spray or is there a cheaper alternative with similar quality results?

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
There are always cheaper alternatives than GW, but a top tip regardless of what you get is to test the spray on some spare sprues/ metal to see if you got a bad batch. I use Army Painter colour primers, and while they arent the cheapest out there, they do the job well enough for me.

Edit: you can even look for a metal primer spray to cut yourself time for basecoating. Just spray, fix up missed bits, wash with black (for contrasting shadows) and/ or brown (dirt/ rust), drybrush or layer silver highlights, and you can crank out some Necrons blindingly fast!

The Impaler fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 25, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nothing But Hate posted:

Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys. I've put a bid on some assembled unpainted warriors so if I win that auction I'll start buying paints to suit. And I think I've found a place to get reasonably priced brushes in New Zealand which was an arduous task in itself.

You can get that army painter brush set I mentioned on Mighty Ape, just fyi

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

Nothing But Hate posted:

I've found a place to get reasonably priced brushes in New Zealand which was an arduous task in itself.

One last question, is it worth paying $30 for a can of chaos black spray or is there a cheaper alternative with similar quality results?

I get Army Painter rattle cans from Mighty Ape.
Just check the usage directions. I was using them from too far away like I would with GW cans and ended up with some sandy / gritty models.

+1 on that brush set GS mentioned too.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I've used might Ape before in Australia, good Co. with a surprisingly diverse range.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

How are scale 75 paints compared to other brands? I'm not about to switch my range over from Vallejo, but they've been looking very interesting

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Its a new look I'm experimenting with, never done anything large with it. Seems to work best with nice clean flat colors. So multiple thin layers to full coverage and NO WASHES

Cool, thanks!

Signal posted:

I dunno man, I don't think more color is really the direction you should be going.

I don't think you know my painting gimmick. I get extremely bored with painting drab, unsaturated colors. The skin was tolerable mostly because I mixed some red in there.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
So my personal experience is that they are awesome. The colors are rich and the extra-matte looks great and makes taking photographs easier, so if you like that aspect of mini painting, I think they're worth it. They also take longer to set so they are easier to blend/mix.

These are the cons:
- you gotta shake this poo poo like you wouldn't believe (it stays mostly shook for a few days after tho)
- Color range isn't as wide as Citadel/Vallejo
- I've never seen them in a store, so you'll have to order them
- Cost more than Vallejo (but still less than Citadel)
- The color indicators on the box sets are totally inaccurate, you'll have look at the bottles themselves
- No "Extra Opaque" options, but you can use other paints for that since you're painting over it anyway

I'm trying out some yellows now. Bizarrely, the bright yellow seems to get better coverage than the brown yellow

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Where should I order Scale 75 from in the US?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

mango sentinel posted:

Where should I order Scale 75 from in the US?

I'm shocked two people want to know this at 9:15 on a Thursday morning, but I sure got EFB'd here.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I get it from Noble Knight Games on Ebay because they ship it so quickly. There are other sellers that sell it for a bit less

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
One last thing: I haven't actually tried to game with any minis painted with Scale 75. It MIGHT need a varnish to protect it. Maybe someone else can weigh in on that? (one of the things I like about Citadel paints is that they seem virtually indestructible on plastic models)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does anyone happen to have a link to the older miniature painting threads? I'm trying to see if I ever wrote down how I paint my vehicles.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

w00tmonger posted:

How are scale 75 paints compared to other brands? I'm not about to switch my range over from Vallejo, but they've been looking very interesting

They are pretty the best I have used, for the most part. I did just invest in a paint shaker to help with them, but I haven't had a ton of problems with regular old shaking by hand so far. But I figure now that I want to fully switch over I might as well grab one.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Does anyone happen to have a link to the older miniature painting threads? I'm trying to see if I ever wrote down how I paint my vehicles.

The one from 2009 to 2015 is in the op.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Began working on my Howling Griffons Stormcast Eternal Liberators.

Yellow is hard. I tried doing it a different way on 2 of the guys and hosed it up. Thinking of going back to my base + glaze, then just highlight with a brighter yellow.

The group

The Prime

Does the armor look okay? instead of doing an all around of Runefang Steel, i instead built up layers from Leadbelcher Spray>Drakenhof Nightshade>Leadbelcher>Ironbreaker>Runefang Steel.

I'm debating if it's worth it or if i should just do two coats instead.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I really wanted the red to work but it looked like a McDonalds themed army. I hit it with a red wash and now it's just a bit poo poo and in the middle. I tried a different scheme aligned with pre-heresy Imperial Fists and I think it's a bit nicer. I'm considering going much darker with the red with lots of weathering to see if that saves it, and kind of considering a Dark Angels green too, thoughts?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Anyone know of a US source for Harder & Steenbeck airbrushes/compressors? Dickblick doesn't carry them and my gogglefu is real bad.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Southern Heel posted:

I really wanted the red to work but it looked like a McDonalds themed army.

It bums me out how McDonalds has ruined the red+yellow color scheme.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx

What can I turn this into? I think I miscalculated on scale again. I got a 1/35 steam engine years ago with the idea of using it for parts. But I got the idea I could 40k-imperialise the coal hopper since it has nice armour panel lines and with a bit of side-skirts the obvious rail carriage could be made into tracks.

But the thing is bloody huge, like that top could carry a regular tank, the height is 2.5x of a rhino, and I don't know what to turn it into now. It's not stupid-huge, so my initial idea of a Leviathan won't work either. Any suggestions or ideas? I think it has potential still so I'm not wanting to just give up on it.

I became ambitious after the SoB Exorcists turned out well (I'll post update shots of them once I'm done, just working on cutting/assembling tracks and still trying to figure out how to make nicely curved hatches). And I always thought a FW Valdor Tank Hunter would be suitably ridiculous for an Ecclesiarchy based army. It's turned out better than I expected. Still quite a ways to go with rivets/treads/cabling to be added, but the overall structure of this one went together fairly quickly.

I just realised - do in-progress shots of scratch building fit in here? I mean I gotta build it before painting, and the creativity in here is great for advice.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I, for one, really enjoy WiP scratch build stuff. Please do.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Anyone have any paint recommendations for painting Indigo, or any blue-purple really. I can't really think of anything.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Whenever I feel bad about how lovely my painting can be I just screw around with some Orks because I usually don't give a poo poo what they look like in the end.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Anyone have any paint recommendations for painting Indigo, or any blue-purple really. I can't really think of anything.

I'm fond of Reaper's Sunset Purple.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Anyone have a good female dwarf mini they can recommend? The husband is looking at playing a female dwarven battle rager based on the WWE wrestler Bayley ("She's a hugger!") but I can't find any that would work. Anyone have any ideas, or barring that, battle rager minis that aren't obviously men?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Ceramic Necrons also look rad.

Trufactz. I was thinking about a ceramic necron army with silver metallic marbling for a long time.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

GoingPostal posted:

Anyone have a good female dwarf mini they can recommend? The husband is looking at playing a female dwarven battle rager based on the WWE wrestler Bayley ("She's a hugger!") but I can't find any that would work. Anyone have any ideas, or barring that, battle rager minis that aren't obviously men?

My first thought was Reaper's Figure Finder, but I figured you might have already tried that. By "battle rager," are you looking for something with weapons? (Side note, your search reminded me I need to find some dwarf women as well, to add some diversity to a dwarf-themed Frostgrave band.)

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

Dr. Gargunza posted:

My first thought was Reaper's Figure Finder, but I figured you might have already tried that. By "battle rager," are you looking for something with weapons? (Side note, your search reminded me I need to find some dwarf women as well, to add some diversity to a dwarf-themed Frostgrave band.)

A Battle rager out of Sword Coast Adventures is a subclass of.... Barbarian, I think. They've got spiky armor and attack by hugging. (I think? I've never read the entry. The husband was describing them to me.)

Adimeadozen
Apr 6, 2004
Not That Guy

GoingPostal posted:

Cheesecake-y but maybe? http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=hayden~hfd027&category=fantasy-%26%0D%0Asteampunk~fantasy-dwarves

Edit: Oh, spiky armor? I don't think HF has anything for you there- here's a dwarf with gender generally concealed behind pointy armor: http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=yevrah-natow~hfd200&category=fantasy-%26%0D%0Asteampunk~fantasy-dwarves

Adimeadozen fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 27, 2017

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Chance II posted:

Whenever I feel bad about how lovely my painting can be I just screw around with some Orks because I usually don't give a poo poo what they look like in the end.

Nice humblebrag, these are great duder

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm not sure where else to ask this but I am getting into Konflict 47. I used to play 40k but I used tackle boxes to carry my minis. I still have those tackle boxes, but I am thinking about getting a case with some foam to transport my army. I have some vehicles as well. I know about the expensive army transport cases, but I want to know if there's a cheaper solution than the purpose built cases?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Field herr cardboard cases

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Is there a trick to flocking bases with snow? Normally I hit them with wood glue then dip in whatever, but since this stuff is white I used Elmer's (the non-kiddy kind). It looked ok for a day, then it basically ate the snow and now it looks like fuzz or something :confused:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
There are guides online. There's some weird mixture with household items that looks really good. Will try to find the tutorial I'm thinking of.

Baking soda and pva. http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/04/hobby-create-realistic-snow-in-3-minutes.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm not sure where else to ask this but I am getting into Konflict 47. I used to play 40k but I used tackle boxes to carry my minis. I still have those tackle boxes, but I am thinking about getting a case with some foam to transport my army. I have some vehicles as well. I know about the expensive army transport cases, but I want to know if there's a cheaper solution than the purpose built cases?

A big thing I have started doing is magnetic base bottoms. For skirmish scale stuff I just get a wide shallow stackable container and stick a sheet of Flex steel at the bottom. Makes it super easy to store anything too.