Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

What the gently caress. That broken rear end logic. :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MilesK posted:

Whichever Goon made up the leaked report that Croberts is obsessed with refactoring leather jackets did a good job.

For gently caress's sake they actually went back and refactored his jacket. :perfect:

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Hobold posted:

What the gently caress. That broken rear end logic. :psyboom:

And the person that pointed out his completely hosed logic, is at -4. He got down voted for pointing out stupidity.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

MilesK posted:

Whichever Goon made up the leaked report that Croberts is obsessed with refactoring leather jackets did a good job.

is it made up if its all true? in my opinion

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
everspace is cool and good btw

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also jesus christ this model has over 550,000 polys

550,000 polys that need to be lit and shaded in an MMO setting

for a single npc

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkk

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also 1.5g of texture memory

lol

loving lol

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

lol

loving lol

:catdrugs:FIDELITY:catdrugs:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Taintrunner posted:

edit: I've been playing a lot of Star Wars Mod for X3:AP, which is some guy slapping Star Wars into X3. It's good.

What kind of poo poo spaceship allows you to see out of the cockpit and get a good view of the battlefield?

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot

TheAgent posted:

lol

loving lol

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TheAgent posted:

for a single npc

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkk

Don't worry it will all be fixed after 3.0

No it won't

Shh

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
imagine them having to add another 50 to 100k polys for the hair lol

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

For those of us not in the know

What is an average # of polys for a character from a normal AAA game

Also does Chris plan on using any lod at all or is it basically full detail the second something hits your screen

I can't imagine he would take kindly to lod since he is all about everyone seeing every single pore on his creations from 1km away

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Jaxx Mcleary had hair. Most of it in one of his eyebrows.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
loving lol at these console peasants not running gaming machines with 128GB of ram.

Grow up, spend $8,000.00 to join the PCMR, and then buy $20,000.00 worth of spaceship jpegs.

You loving casuals holding back gaming make me sick.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What happened to Nytemar?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

Also does Chris plan on using any lod at all or is it basically full detail the second something hits your screen

I can't imagine he would take kindly to lod since he is all about everyone seeing every single pore on his creations from 1km away

This, also what is LoD besides a Derek Tamras production?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
so lets say you have 10 npcs with that level of fidelity and 20 player characters with that fidelity running around

without any other poo poo to call you are now pumping out 15m polys in characters alone in fidelity

but what about background, which has 20 or 30m fidelity polys thanks to what we've seen of the dev console interiors

for a very, very basic scene that means you're looking at drawing, shading and lighting over 60m fidelity polys

but oh, its chris roberts, coding genius to the rescue

nm

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
hidden nicely in the episode, you'll see that landing on planets/moons/whatthefuckever is still not possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZIzExVmZMo&t=815s

my prediction is this: next month is going to roll around and they are going to announce landing on surfaces still are not ready, mass refunds will begin, and CIG slowly slips into the void of the internet

quote:

...Additionally, they also spent time testing various multiplayer issues for the Stanton system, which included "moon collision testing."

nawledgelambo fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 26, 2017

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Daymar. More like Lame-ar. Another awesome name from Robert Space. Better than calling a planet Baker or Stanton I guess lol

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

cool new Polack jokes posted:

This, also what is LoD besides a Derek Tamras production?

Level of detail

So the further away you are from something the less detail the game loads in , might mean a space ship shaped object at max view distance. And as you close in the textures load in varying degrees of detail until finally you're close enough that all the glorious ship is there, And you see a head jutting from the side of the fuselage

Ahhh just like I dreamed

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Sappo569 posted:

Level of detail

So the further away you are from something the less detail the game loads in , might mean a space ship shaped object at max view distance. And as you close in the textures load in varying degrees of detail until finally you're close enough that all the glorious ship is there, And you see a head jutting from the side of the fuselage

Ahhh just like I dreamed

And then the ship explodes because you looked at it too hard.

Or because of the commando exiting via osmosis.

Or just randomly.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

average character for super detailed dudes runs about 150k nowadays, all the way up to a million.

games that render high poly counts like that are usually single player, and the 1m+ poly count models are used for in-game cutscenes

Aloy was around 300k plus an additional 100k for her hair, bringing the model up to around 400k. however, this is a model you are seeing constantly and devs who have 3rd person protagonists generally spend a lot of time and effort getting the models to look as good as possible, because thats what the player is going to see no matter what. 3rd person games also need a lot of polys because you're going to need a lot of points to base animations off of, especially if there's a lot of jumping/running/crouching/moving

no one in their right loving mind would ever put a 550k poly npc in an MMO. they probably wouldn't do that single player game either, unless the model was someone you are going to be spending a long, long time with (either a major villain or someone close to the main character). making a super detailed npc like that, putting hundreds and thousands of man hours into that single loving quest giver is absolutely nuts unless its only one of a few npcs that hands out quests. most "highly detailed" npcs for a role like this would be at max something like 80 to 150k. and that's pushing it. Ryse pushed out npcs around 100k and did a pretty good job having six to ten on screen at the same time (but they also did a lot of fakery with the surrounding world and culled a lot of background poo poo when you weren't looking).

even so, since this is an MMO, you're going to see a long line of commandos next to any questgiver which means that the game world will be flooded with super high detailed player character models. player character models are always going to be the most detailed in any 3rd person game as I mentioned above, so welcome to the engine trying to render dozens of super hi-poly models, all with different clothes, hair styles and weapons. now light and shadow and texture all that poo poo, and welcome to your entire engine making GBS threads itself.

now that your engine is making GBS threads yourself, the server now begins to poo poo itself, because the predictive model it uses is now useless as it tries to track a few dozen stuttering interactions and send it to the other dozen stuttering actors and everyone starts crouching and hopping around and running through tables and walls and oh gently caress welp the server crashed

there's a reason video games use a shitload of tricks with what renders, what the player can see and a whole bunch of other poo poo regarding art and characters and backgrounds: it works. trying to code stuff "realistically" leads to an absolutely massive shitshow of engine failure

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 26, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sappo569 posted:

Around 100k.. Nathan Drake in uncharted 4 has 80k. Final Fantasy XV pretty boyos have 100k

The loving T-Rex in Horizon : Zero Dawn is 550k, to give you an idea of just how stupid Star Citizen is.

But it's good to see that guy from crysis 3 has survived a few centuries and is still around in Star Citizen

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

TheAgent posted:

for a single npc

But it will work because croberts is gonna rewrite the gpu drivers to make them more efficient.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sappo569 posted:

lmao, it looks like this has already been done for us

http://wccftech.com/ryse-polygon-count-comparision-aaa-titles-crysis-star-citizen/

So he is more than three times graphically intensive than an unoptomised Ryse.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Exinos posted:

loving lol at these console peasants not running gaming machines with 128GB of ram.

Grow up, spend $8,000.00 to join the PCMR, and then buy $20,000.00 worth of spaceship jpegs.

You loving casuals holding back gaming make me sick.

Truth, bruh. gently caress all them muslcasuals!

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

TheAgent posted:

average character for super detailed dudes runs about 150k nowadays, all the way up to a million.

games that render high poly counts like that are usually single player, and the 1m+ poly count models are used for in-game cutscenes

Aloy was around 300k plus an additional 100k for her hair, bringing the model up to around 400k. however, this is a model you are seeing constantly and devs who have 3rd person protagonists generally spend a lot of time and effort getting the models to look as good as possible, because thats what the player is going to see no matter what. 3rd person games also need a lot of polys because you're going to need a lot of points to base animations off of, especially if there's a lot of jumping/running/crouching/moving

no one in their right loving mind would ever put a 550k poly npc in an MMO. they probably wouldn't do that single player game either, unless the model was someone you are going to be spending a long, long time with (either a major villain or someone close to the main character). making a super detailed npc like that, putting hundreds and thousands of man hours into that single loving quest giver is absolutely nuts unless its only one of a few npcs that hands out quests. most "highly detailed" npcs for a role like this would be at max something like 80 to 150k. and that's pushing it. Ryse pushed out npcs around 100k and did a pretty good job having six to ten on screen at the same time (but they also did a lot of fakery with the surrounding world and culled a lot of background poo poo when you weren't looking).

even so, since this is an MMO, you're going to see a long line of commandos next to any questgiver which means that the game world will be flooded with super high detailed player character models. player character models are always going to be the most detailed in any 3rd person game as I mentioned above, so welcome to the engine trying to render dozens of super hi-poly models, all with different clothes, hair styles and weapons. now light and shadow and texture all that poo poo, and welcome to your entire engine making GBS threads itself.

now that your engine is making GBS threads yourself, the server now begins to poo poo itself, because the predictive model it uses is now useless as it tries to track a few dozen stuttering interactions and send it to the other dozen stuttering actors and everyone starts crouching and hopping around and running through tables and walls and oh gently caress welp the server crashed

there's a reason video games use a shitload of tricks with what renders, what the player can see and a whole bunch of other poo poo regarding art and characters and backgrounds: it works. trying to code stuff "realistically" leads to an absolutely massive shitshow of engine failure

Yeah well that's like, your opinion man :colbert:

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Loxbourne posted:

I always love this. Someone, possibly Sandi herself, put CIG's opinion of her job right in her character's name. "Pusher". It's so audacious you don't realise she's mocking her ability to sell JPGs to people as if they were hard drugs and she's doing it in plain sight.

Seriously, when the tell-all memoirs come out and the grave, grey discussions of the Great Star Citizen Scam get published, people are going to refuse to believe anyone could so openly declare their contempt for their customer base.

I didn't even think about this until you brought this up. I bet her role in the game is to literally try and sell you poo poo for cash monies during missions.

"If only we had bigger missiles with which to take on this enemy!"

"Their lasers cut straight through our standard shields - we need upgraded ones!"

(The game is never coming out, but that is what would have been intended).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Player: It's an unusual codename, where did you get it from?
Shepard Twentyfive: It's pretty straightforward, Kid. You know Shepard from Mass Effect? Imagine twentyfive of them all bundled into the same lovely leather jacket, and that's me, your MMO quest giver.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Do we still have a tally on the number of ships goons have purchased?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
I wonder if croberts tried to do real-time ray tracing, it seems like the kind of dumb immersive thing that's right up his alley

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think I might've solved all of CIGs problems!

https://sellfy.com/p/fo6a/

just layer on the fidelity over that

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Perfect thanks for the info.

So basically crobberts is an idiot

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Sappo569 posted:

Shocking but true!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

it jives with what a few ex-employees said about how he only cares about how something looks and its "cinematic feel"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

TheAgent posted:

it jives with what a few ex-employees said about how he only cares about how something looks and its "cinematic feel"
The end product will be shipped on rolls of film.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TheAgent posted:

Perfect if he only ever delivers pre rendered videos and cut scenes

Almost like if it was a movie.... wait a minute !!

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
I bet they're not even planning to use that jacket asset. I bet they modeled it for the sole purpose of taking a screenshot to post on Twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

SelenicMartian posted:

Daymar

Fighter of the Nytemar

Champion of the FUD

He's a master of fidelity, and scamming...like everyone