Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

Serious question: Why can't the budget just call for like a 1% spending cut to every single department instead of picking and choosing?

That's kinda sorta what sequestration did, and it's dumb. Some departments can more or less downsize projects or missions in a logical way using a generic cut. Others are already running at more or less minimum possible funding without major poo poo getting hosed up.

I'm not bored enough and/or currently read up on it all enough to post in depth analysis, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TBeats posted:

Serious question: Why can't the budget just call for like a x% spending cut to every single department instead of picking and choosing?

Not all spending is discretionary

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Flipping through channels at my parents house, and Fox is definitely spinning the reporter thing as a positive.

I'm not gonna link fuckin huffington post but they went around asking Rs about it and most of them were spinning it as positive. Vaping fucktard Duncan hunter tweeted some joke about the dude deserving it, some other guy said he could sympathize cause he feels like punching reporters sometimes, etc

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

psydude posted:

Only part of Wisconsin I've been in is Ft. McCoy and it is indeed in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah, the bulk of the state's population is in the Southeast corner centered around Milwaukee and to the west in Madison. The Chicago metro area basically ends in southern WI so they kind of just bleed into each other.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

DoktorLoken posted:

You say that, but WI actually is fairly populated. It's not Nebraska or North Dakota, but I could see that kind of attitude being prevalent in rural areas.

Milwaukee has 600,000 people and is basically a mini Chicago:

Same can be said for a lot of places though. I grew up south of Chicago in Cornfieldia. At one point I lived 8 miles from the nearest town, and it had 1000~ people. The closest place with more than 10,000 people was at least a 30 minute drive. Illinois might be one of the more populous states, but there's a whole lot of nothing in those state lines.

And Wisconsin is both smaller in population and land area. Scaled proportionally, it's just as lovely as Illinois.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
FBI is peeking under Kush's skirt to see if there's any Russia up in there.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Same can be said for a lot of places though. I grew up south of Chicago in Cornfieldia. At one point I lived 8 miles from the nearest town, and it had 1000~ people. The closest place with more than 10,000 people was at least a 30 minute drive. Illinois might be one of the more populous states, but there's a whole lot of nothing in those state lines.

And Wisconsin is both smaller in population and land area. Scaled proportionally, it's just as lovely as Illinois.

On the contrary, Illinois is unpopulated and flat; driving from Chicago to St. Louis is awful. The bulk of Wisconsin outside of the populated area is littered with lots of nice small towns in an area with tons of rolling hills, forests, etc. It's actually a pretty beautiful state which is why we're basically weekend vacation land for Chicago.

phuzzylodgik
Oct 20, 2005

Fuck this filter shit.

DoktorLoken posted:

On the contrary, Illinois is unpopulated and flat; driving from Chicago to St. Louis is awful. The bulk of Wisconsin outside of the populated area is littered with lots of nice small towns in an area with tons of rolling hills, forests, etc. It's actually a pretty beautiful state which is why we're basically weekend vacation land for Chicago.

As a Chicagoan, I can say that this dude has it dead to rights.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Southern Illinois is beautiful. Once you're south of Mt. Vernon, it's rolling hills and places the ice didn't scrape flat. But you have to be heading to Kentucky on I-24, or south of St. Louis down I-57. The Wabash Valley is nice also, but that's more western Indiana.

The rest of Illinois sucks balls and has small dying towns scattered everywhere.

Enough comparing midwest shitholes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-poppy-plants/

"I guess you're here for the opium."

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 26, 2017

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I think we can all agree Kansas might as well be post apocalyptic America

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Kansas, Nebraska, and eastern Wyoming/Colorado are horrible.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Southern Illinois is beautiful. Once you're south of Mt. Vernon, it's rolling hills and places the ice didn't scrape flat. But you have to be heading to Kentucky on I-24, or south of St. Louis down I-57. The Wabash Valley is nice also, but that's more western Indiana.

The rest of Illinois sucks balls and has small dying towns scattered everywhere.

Enough comparing midwest shitholes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-poppy-plants/

"I guess you're here for the opium."

I want to know how many pods those cops ate to decide 1.5 acres was worth 1/8th of Afghanistan's entire crop. (Total weight of uprooted wet plants + soil) * street price of heroin?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

I want to know how many pods those cops ate to decide 1.5 acres was worth 1/8th of Afghanistan's entire crop.

I imagine being able to cut out middlemen and not having to smuggle it all the way around the world would raise its value significantly.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That guy probably would have gotten away with it if he didn't lead off with "here bout my drugs, I guess?"

Who in the gently caress in backwoods Carolinas would even know what opium looks like. Dude was seriously lacking some confidence in holding his farming job.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That guy probably would have gotten away with it if he didn't lead off with "here bout my drugs, I guess?"

Who in the gently caress in backwoods Carolinas would even know what opium looks like. Dude was seriously lacking some confidence in holding his farming job.

I bet they were there for the fighting chickens and dogs. Bound to happen at that point.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Chicagoan here. The rest of Illinois is a wet fart.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah. Not exactly laying low and building a small drug empire when you're actively participating in other stupid poo poo.

I'd love to see bodycam footage of that discussion though.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Illinoisan here. Chicago is also a wet fart, but it styles itself as a "rugged and bohemian" wet fart

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The only person who didn't want a 3rd Obama term was Obama (both?). Poor dude was an attractive 50-something with black hair when he got elected. Look what we did to him. :(

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
The only good part of Illinois outside of Chicago are the 24 hour bars in East Saint Louis, that's your gauge for quality there.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Yeah. Not exactly laying low and building a small drug empire when you're actively participating in other stupid poo poo.

I'd love to see bodycam footage of that discussion though.

There was no drug empire, if he personally converted every poppy in that garden to heroin and sold it by the gram he would have made at best a few hundred thousand. More likely he was scraping the opium and selling it for a fraction of that, he was just a petty criminal with some cockfighting on the side.

Law enforcement just makes poo poo up when it comes to values of drug busts :monocle:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Quist looks like he's gonna lose MTAL special election.

Joke's on me for ever having hope. Nothing matters. :smith:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

shame on an IGA posted:

I want to know how many pods those cops ate to decide 1.5 acres was worth 1/8th of Afghanistan's entire crop. (Total weight of uprooted wet plants + soil) * street price of heroin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i_XfgdNUUk

also if you haven't watched The Guard go and do it immediately.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Does anyone have links/sources for the hosed up security clearance forms from Trump's people? I want to show a buddy who worked doing clearances, but didn't save the links.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Handsome Ralph posted:

he was going to lose that election before his opponent superslamed a guy

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

he was going to lose that election before his opponent superslamed a guy

Yeah, I know. Still, he seemed like a decent enough guy that I was hopeful for a brief moment. After having family living in Billings and knowing a guy that was a rancher in Bozeman, he seemed the kind of candidate that might do well with people who would otherwise normally vote GOP.

Oh well, on to the next one.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

The only good part of Illinois outside of Chicago are the 24 hour bars in East Saint Louis, that's your gauge for quality there.

i lived in Decatur for a year and a half and I will never go back ever

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Handsome Ralph posted:

If he loses by less than 5% that's close enough to give the GOP something to worry about. In 2016 it went red by 16 points.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
If conservative voters are really so far gone as to vote in a millionaire psychopath that assaults reporters the day before the election, where the gently caress does that leave us as a democracy? Is there a constructive path forward that sane-minded Americans can take or is it all just a slow descent into division and violence from here?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

If conservative voters are really so far gone as to vote in a millionaire psychopath that assaults reporters the day before the election, where the gently caress does that leave us as a democracy? Is there a constructive path forward that sane-minded Americans can take or is it all just a slow descent into division and violence from here?

Over 65% of the votes were cast before he attacked a reporter.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

serious post: there's hope thanks to demographic shifts but it isnt going to be near as quick as what people think and never discount the Democrats ability to shoot themselves in the foot like they just did over the 8 past years

non-serious serious post: hope the GOP gets its way on healthcare and a sudden epidemic wipes out a large portion of their voter base, the old and stupid

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

i lived in Decatur for a year and a half and I will never go back ever

Whenever we used to drive places as a kid, Decatur was our measuring stick for "well, at least now we're only a couple of hours from civilization."

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
loving hell, does everyone live in Illinois at some point?

Champaign to Kankakee, the great corn abyss.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Have you guys hoping the GOP tank healthcare ever been around poor sick people? Cuz they'll def die. Like alot of people. Millions even.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Have you guys hoping the GOP tank healthcare ever been around poor sick people? Cuz they'll def die. Like alot of people. Millions even.

lol they dont even have healthcare now

:(

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah, and they're the same people saying that they hate Obamacare but love the ACA.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah. Probably. Because darkest timeline and all.

Just a bunch of noseless people falling over dead from simple things. Gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Well I don't want them dead because their tax dollars and the tax dollars of their Lord's pay my goddman welfare!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Historical numbers suggest that lack of access to healthcare kills about 1%/yr of people in that group.

AHCA is something like 7 9/11s. Annually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

America is a violent and brutal nation. Always has been. Most of our founding fathers literally owned other humans, and were not unfamiliar with killing. Aaron Burr was the sitting Vice President when he killed Alexander Hamilton. Andrew Jackson liked nothing more than to step outside, and had killed a man in a duel before he became our 7th President. He then went on to ignore the Supreme Court and instigate something that we still refer to, not inaccurately, as "The Trail of Tears." Preston Brooks' constituents re-elected him after he beat Senator Charles Sumner unconscious with a cane, leaving wounds that required three years of recuperation. (He was aided and abetted by Laurence Keitt, who brandished a pistol in the Senate chambers to keep onlookers from coming to Sumner's aid, and Henry Edmundson, who had previously been arrested by the Sergeant at Arms for assaulting another Senator.)

We might try to he better than our bloody legacy, but it is always there, below the surface.

• Locked thread