Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah I mean separate art from the artist at will but the dude definitely longs for ye olde asia co-prosperity sphere and has said some dumb bullshit to that effect and it's a large part of why I don't read AoT anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I wanna make a joke about where AoT fits on the Popular-ish Anime Fascism Scale, with 10 being Gate but I can't think of a 1.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Man Fallen Idol was one of the lowest points of LA Noire for me, because after enough all I wanted to do was go postal on most of the people involved in that one.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dias posted:

I wanna make a joke about where AoT fits on the Popular-ish Anime Fascism Scale, with 10 being Gate but I can't think of a 1.

Nier Automata.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dias posted:

I remember when Woolie was talking up Gate for a couple of weeks. He would talk about how it was "military people owning fantasy monsters" and then I would look it up and it looked like the most generic crap.

I wonder if he ever finished watching it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
military people owning fantasy monsters and then COLONIZING the fantasy world as is JAPAN'S GOD GIVEN RIGHT while the filthy AMERICANS and CHINESE try to TAKE THEIR LAND

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gate was the one where they see or incapacitate or something anyway a black soldier and go "Aha, only america has THE BLACKS in their spec-ops!" right?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Keep those filthy americans and chinese out of our colonized monster slave world

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
good: woolie matt and pat roasting that lady's pants for five minutes straight
bad: every other choice woolie makes on this case

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Matt and Pat are sabotaging Woolie by giving him "helpful suggestions" so he can maximize the amount of people shot.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

HGH posted:

Matt and Pat are sabotaging Woolie by giving him "helpful suggestions" so he can maximize the amount of people shot.

They saw him in Heavy Rain, they know they need to satiate the bloodlust somehow.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Two clowns guide the hips of a hair trigger loose gun

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Depths posted:

Two clowns guide the hips of a hair trigger loose gun

Don't leak my indie movie script.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

the art in attack on titan is some of the worst in any major manga

Isayama's love of Japanese colonialism is a known quantity
how much have you actually read/watched?

initially I thought that about Isayama due to him idolizing a wartime monster of a man, but AoT takes a very harsh turn after where this season ends. Spoiler: they straight up overthrow the fascist regime. This is the thing Pat refers to and I don't get why he wouldn't want to see that, especially if someone spoiled him on the details of it.

also his artwork of humans is garbage yes, but all of the titans as well as titan fights are really really good. The titans are just so god drat creepy.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

how much have you actually read/watched?

about half the manga, though not straight through, I popped back in post-basement and popped out once the questions were answered because it's still bad

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

Gate was the one where they see or incapacitate or something anyway a black soldier and go "Aha, only america has THE BLACKS in their spec-ops!" right?

Yep, thats the one.
I really wish Gate was more global espionage tinted by Japanese racism and less anime tropey fetish nonsense.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

military people owning fantasy monsters and then COLONIZING the fantasy world as is JAPAN'S GOD GIVEN RIGHT while the filthy AMERICANS and CHINESE try to TAKE THEIR LAND

It's funny how Cole Phelps said the opposite, after World War 2, It is AMERICA that shall the rule the world, son. What a tool.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Man Woolie got Ornstein'd n' Smogh'd so godamn hard by that case. :eyepop:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

davidHalestorm posted:

It's funny how Cole Phelps said the opposite, after World War 2, It is AMERICA that shall the rule the world, son. What a tool.

this is why I'm fine with Woolie not getting all the cases right, because I can just pretend Cole Phelps is the one loving up as penance for being such a loving douchebag.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Belgian Waffle posted:

Yep, thats the one.
I really wish Gate was more global espionage tinted by Japanese racism and less anime tropey fetish nonsense.

I kinda wanted the opposite where it's just a dumb fun show about magic fantasy nonsense versus the smallest modern army in the world (but still a modern army), with no real world politics dirtying that up. And a main character I can actually like, while we're dreaming.

Grouchio posted:

Man Woolie got Ornstein'd n' Smogh'd so godamn hard by that case. :eyepop:

LA Noire has the same problem all mystery games do, where you know he's lying but sometimes it's not obvious which piece of evidence the game wants you to use to show that. Only it's way worse here compared to something like Phoenix Wright or Danganronpa because the game gives you no second tries.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

ApeHawk posted:

this is why I'm fine with Woolie not getting all the cases right, because I can just pretend Cole Phelps is the one loving up as penance for being such a loving douchebag.

I'm convinced that it's going to be revealed at some point that Cole has some serious PTSD issue and he's overcompensating in his work as a result

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

davidHalestorm posted:

I'm convinced that it's going to be revealed at some point that Cole has some serious PTSD issue and he's overcompensating in his work as a result
He also likes Blondes.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

LA Noire has the same problem all mystery games do, where you know he's lying but sometimes it's not obvious which piece of evidence the game wants you to use to show that. Only it's way worse here compared to something like Phoenix Wright or Danganronpa because the game gives you no second tries.

The thing is you really need to get into the mindset of "Use Doubt when lacking evidence". So like the situation here, you know the guy is falsifying pink slips because you just mowed down a bunch of his men, but all your evidence is completely legitimate ones

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

hoobajoo posted:

Which is why I hated the doubt system, since there was no evidence to back it up and you just had phelps go off and make these bizarre statements. You think you should try the lie option, since you have evidence, but the game only allows the evidence to be used for a very specific purpose.

I think LA Noire is a great concept with mediocre execution.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
It seems like it'd work better if Lie was combined with Doubt, rather than having two different options to use when people are lying or concealing the truth. If your doubt needs evidence then it would automatically bring that up. That'd probably not be perfect but it'd definitely be better than Phelps going "whoops, my mistake" all the time.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the system should be expanded to include half-truth, lie by omission, and no doubt my man no doubt

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I love the whiplash of Yakuza. Serious plot where a guy pulls a gun on his sworn bro, the one eyed gangster man is trying to unravel plot from the tragic blind girl, and then suddenly, old lady w/ a purple fro.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIMrFnl5NiA

New Castlevania show looks like it might be pretty cool.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

HGH posted:

The thing is you really need to get into the mindset of "Use Doubt when lacking evidence". So like the situation here, you know the guy is falsifying pink slips because you just mowed down a bunch of his men, but all your evidence is completely legitimate ones

Sometimes it's hard to know whether or not you actually have evidence though. For example, the crate of blank pink slips seems pretty incriminating, but whether or not the game considers that good enough evidence to use with "lie" is ambiguous. Every sort of mystery game has this problem to some extent, and never getting a second chance feels really bad, because you knew the right answer, you understood the mystery, but just because you had trouble proving that to the game that, bam, you lost the case and a character shouts at you and calls you stupid for a full minute. loving awful.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rhonne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIMrFnl5NiA

New Castlevania show looks like it might be pretty cool.

Which one's my girl Aria?

edit: i saw the trailer a few hours ago on twitter, but this thing's extended with a segment of a dude putting up a netflix cartridge into a NES and that is the greatest thing :allears:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I am suddenly very disappointed that Pat didn't have Majima do the hustle in that cult mission.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I've found it very cute how Woolie's clearly been getting more and more into Night in the Woods as it's gone on.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Oxxidation posted:

I've found it very cute how Woolie's clearly been getting more and more into Night in the Woods as it's gone on.

I feel like he was In after the drunken party fiasco

his voice acting in that scene was Too Real

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

I kinda wanted the opposite where it's just a dumb fun show about magic fantasy nonsense versus the smallest modern army in the world (but still a modern army), with no real world politics dirtying that up. And a main character I can actually like, while we're dreaming.

Gate can be accused of many things, but the politics being "real world" certainly isn't one of them

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Gate is wish fulfillment with real world politics which is actually worse.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I didn't mind the anime one bit despite being a political analyst.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"the Yakuza with the bat tattoo smells of sunflowers" not getting nearly enough credit

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

Gate can be accused of many things, but the politics being "real world" certainly isn't one of them

Fair enough, but you know what I meant.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gate is not good and but it's hilariously bizarre how the author is a real world military fetishist and huge nationalist, but at the same time, makes the protag to be this otaku guy who manages to get a harem of anime tropes, since you gotta have wish fulfilment to be a successful series these days. The tonal difference is so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If you pay attention, in a few minutes, you'll hear the Ginger Orgasm

https://twitter.com/Dystify/status/867913592565379072