Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Advice:

Buy a Madone like a real man/woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcepG9Twa_8

NIO EP9 on the Ring. 06:45:90. Sounds like direct drive all the way.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I have heard the future, and it is gear whine.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrYenko posted:

I have heard the future, and it is gear whine.

So weird that they didn't pick more quiet drive train components or add sound deadening or even upholstery to a purpose built track car.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So a spec sheet for the Model 3 leaked. Per Autoblog:

• 0-60 miles per hour: 5.6 seconds
  • Driving range: 215+ miles
  • Overall length: 184.8 inches
  • Total cargo volume, front and rear trunks: 14 cubic feet
  • Less than 100 possible configurations
  • Looks like the driver's console won't be a digital display like in the Model S. it'll still have the large iPad-like center console though.
  • Pay per use Supercharging

The basic gist is it's going to be a de-contented, smaller Model S.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm curious to see where the eventual AWD one will land in price/performance once they start making them.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If we guesstimate an ideal consuption of 230Wh/mile, 215 miles range means a 50 kWh pack. 60 kWh if you figure 280 Wh/mile, which is easily achievable in a Model S. So by that logic I'm kind of leaning towards 50, but it would be absurd if Tesla launches a 50 after GM's 60.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Where did I get it in my head that they were aiming for 300miles+ range at base?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

El Grillo posted:

Where did I get it in my head that they were aiming for 300miles+ range at base?

I had that idea too, for some reason, but I think I might have been confusing it with the intended sub-$30,000 base price.

Speaking of which, have they specified exactly what you get for the lowest possible price? Is that gonna be just the strippo model that they legally have to have one of in stock but when you get to the dealership the boss's son already bought it every single time?

Thwomp posted:

• 0-60 miles per hour: 5.6 seconds
  • Driving range: 215+ miles
  • Overall length: 184.8 inches
  • Total cargo volume, front and rear trunks: 14 cubic feet
  • Less than 100 possible configurations
  • Looks like the driver's console won't be a digital display like in the Model S. it'll still have the large iPad-like center console though.
  • Pay per use Supercharging

The basic gist is it's going to be a de-contented, smaller Model S.

So compared to the Bolt, it's moderately quicker (vs 6.3s to 60), has a marginally shorter rated range (vs 238 miles), is twenty inches (!) longer (vs 164in), and has 20% less cargo space (vs 17 cubic feet).

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I had that idea too, for some reason, but I think I might have been confusing it with the intended sub-$30,000 base price.

Base price is $35000. Unless you were including tax rebate.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ClassH posted:

Base price is $35000. Unless you were including tax rebate.

I think it's always advertised net of tax rebate.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Thwomp posted:

So a spec sheet for the Model 3 leaked. Per Autoblog:

It's also been revealed that, contrary to previous speculation, Tesla will use a brand new platform for the Model Y instead of reusing the Model 3 platform. Hopefully, this means they'll be offer to offer more cargo space and/or battery power than would reasonably fit on the Model 3 chassis. Hopefully, this won't also drive up the price too much.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

Speaking of which, have they specified exactly what you get for the lowest possible price? Is that gonna be just the strippo model that they legally have to have one of in stock but when you get to the dealership the boss's son already bought it every single time?

So compared to the Bolt, it's moderately quicker (vs 6.3s to 60), has a marginally shorter rated range (vs 238 miles), is twenty inches (!) longer (vs 164in), and has 20% less cargo space (vs 17 cubic feet).

The 3 being all those things, also looks (imo), 100% better. This is GM's flagship EV and that's the best poo poo they can roll out visual design wise? poo poo.

In other news, I am closing in on an i3 w/ Range Extender and some type of oddly named premium package that comes with the fun wood interiors. The motorcycle esque tires have me a little concerned, handling wise. But all in all, the car seems stout.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I looked at the rumors for the 18 leaf and now I can't wait to trade in my 2011.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

The Sicilian posted:

The motorcycle esque tires have me a little concerned, handling wise. But all in all, the car seems stout.

I think sport motorcycle tires would have better grip tbh. The class you're looking at for the i3 is "wagon wheel"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I thought this was pretty impressive. Model X towing a trailer with a boat, 5000 lbs. Total weight around 5 tons, overtaking other cars going uphill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op2JZi7zMbM

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It lost 80km of range in 13km. I wonder how much it would recover going back down.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Powershift posted:

It lost 80km of range in 13km. I wonder how much it would recover going back down.

Yeah the consumption is pretty wild. Something you don't see as plainly when doing the same thing in a fossil car. It can regen max 50 kW and it uses way more than 50 kW uphill, plus aero and heat works against you both ways, so it would not recover anywhere near the same amount.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Ola posted:

Yeah the consumption is pretty wild. Something you don't see as plainly when doing the same thing in a fossil car. It can regen max 50 kW and it uses way more than 50 kW uphill, plus aero and heat works against you both ways, so it would not recover anywhere near the same amount.
The only reason you don't see it so plainly in an ICE vehicle is because ICE vehicles are only 20-30% efficient at the best while EVs are in the high 90s so the effect of your right foot has much more of an impact on overall range in an EV.

Also, you shouldn't think about regen like that. Regen is icing on the cake, the cake is driving up hill and then coasting down the other side. As long as the starting and ending elevations are the same, there won't be very much loss compared to doing the same distance on a flat road. Sure it takes 2x more energy to get to the top of the hill, but then it takes 2x less energy to come back down. Regen is only to be used to keep you from exceeding a target speed or from hitting other traffic, otherwise the most efficient driving style downhill is to coast in neutral.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When grades are moderate, up/down mostly cancel.

When the slope is steep enough, you can be at max regen and overshooting your desired speed. At that point, you’re wasting energy in drag and/or the friction brakes.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If anyone can deal with the limitations of a Leaf and needs a new car, now may be the time to buy if you're in a state that stacks state rebates with utility company discounts like Colorado. I got one for a bit more than $4,500 before sales tax and after federal tax credit because it had the poo poo kicked out of it with a bunch of hail, but you can get undamaged ones for $7.5-8k around here after all credits/rebates. I can light this car on fire after five years and it will have paid for itself, even with our low gas prices and $0.11/kWh electricity.

Also, re: slopes: if you're in CO, get up to the top of Mt. Evans (elevation: 14k+ ft, highest paved road in North America) and see how much you regen on the way down. I was able to make it to the top with 5% SOC, and ended up in Denver 35+ miles away with 20% SOC

call to action fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 31, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

call to action posted:

$0.11/kWh electricity

Cherish that.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

Cherish that.

Nah, I'll cherish my $0.08/kWh off-peak rate instead :D

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Mine is even cheaper... (Duke Energy in Indiana)

9 cents for the first 300kWh, 5 cents for the next 700kWh, and 4 cents for every kWh over 1,000. This applies to all single-phase residential service.

There are some additional riders that make it more like 10.5, 6.5, and 5.5 respectively and an $9.50 connection charge.

Peak/Off-peak and time of use is not even an option here. I would imagine this is because none of the utilities are allowed to use Smart meters. The state regulatory commission just recently (a year ago) approved Duke and other utilities to use smart meters. So I would imagine such pricing schemes will eventually be available.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

call to action posted:

Nah, I'll cherish my $0.08/kWh off-peak rate instead :D

Ohio, $0.05 all the time. I honestly couldn't even tell when we started charging the volt full time, even multiple times a day.

ClassH fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 31, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My $0.26 CAD ($0.20 US) kWh are sad-making.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
0.00/kWh, I get free electricity from work (enough for the round trip), and only charge maybe twice a month out of the garage. Owns.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, when I lived in California I didn't even have a charger at home for the first 6 months. Charging at work and superchargers worked just fine.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Am I the only one that favors the Hyundai IONIQ? Looks good (shame about the lack of a grill though), seems good, good price.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

Am I the only one that favors the Hyundai IONIQ? Looks good (shame about the lack of a grill though), seems good, good price.

Nope, I think it seems like a great choice, particularly for regular commutes and home charging, although a screaming deal on a Leaf like call to action describes might be too good to pass if range requirements are low. It charges faster than the Bolt as well, if you can find a CSS charger that delivers more than 50 kW. It could do with a wrap of sorts over the non-grill.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Had to see what a maxed out one costs here. It's $43k (after our government discounts), a bit high for something that I'd imagine would be a bit plasticy. Still my favourite of the current non Tesla EV cars though. Might have to go and test drive one actually.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Set to cruise at 26 mph, the Bolt can do 387 miles on one charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EaEvIqaj4k

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Pretty interesting study by the Swedish Environmental Research Institute about the CO2 emissions of electric cars:
http://www.ivl.se/download/18.5922281715bdaebede95a9/1496136143435/C243.pdf

Exerpt from conclusion:

quote:

How large are the energy use and greenhouse emissions related to the production of lithium-ion batteries? The results from different assessments vary due to a number of factors including battery design, inventory data, modelling and manufacturing. Based on our review greenhouse gas emissions of 150-200 kg CO2-eq/kWh battery looks to correspond to the greenhouse gas burden of current battery production. Energy use for battery manufacturing with current technology is about 350–650 MJ/kWh battery.

But that's how it is currently, they emphasize that with better technology and more non-fossil electricity it'll go down. Like using the electricity "mix" we have in Sweden would reduce it massively.

Long_Tine_Spork
May 21, 2009
If anyone here is interested in more of a DIY EV, EVTV has a great deal on a Siemens electric motor:
http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=1PV5135

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Anybody interested in the Tesla solar roof?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

CharlesM posted:

Anybody interested in the Tesla solar roof?

Sort of? They don't give you enough info to make an informed decision, and what they do give you makes it look incredibly uneconomical compared to a more traditional setup.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Do the solar roofs use that newfangled perovskite solar panel technology? Or is that poo poo too new?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm interested enough to give it a serious look the next time I need a new roof but not interested enough to think about replacing my roof early.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bull3964 posted:

I'm interested enough to give it a serious look the next time I need a new roof but not interested enough to think about replacing my roof early.

This is the great big asterisk for me. My roof is currently fine, but probably not going to last to 2028, so I'm in their market, but I don't have a reason to pull the trigger just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I ran their estimator; the savings on my house was over negative $20k. Doesn't seem like a good deal for me.

• Locked thread