Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

"I would have liked to see montana... turn blue." *gets choke slammed off a big huge real mountain*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

axeil posted:

Yeah I am absolutely baffled by it too. Governor I get...sort of. Local state issues can be different from the national environment. I mean, Maryland is one of the bluest states in the nation and it elected a Republican as Governor and he's fairly popular.

Senate is the real :psyduck:

Candidates matter!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Zwabu posted:

Why is this MT special election being held in the first place? Did someone retire or join the Trump admin?

The latter. Trump presumed this race wouldn't be close.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Khanoisseur/sta...band-job-615886

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ein Sexmonster posted:

The vast majority of Americans aren't. The rest were already garbage people.

"The vast majority of Americans" were supposed to see pussy-grabbing as a deal breaker. No, shut the gently caress up about the loving emails, if our democracy were even on the same planet as healthy no amount of hemming and hawing about a goddamn email server should have been enough to save a candidate who was recorded talking about how much he loves raping folks.

We keep sitting around waiting for the electorate to realize that the GOP is a bunch of psychotic assholes as if that hasn't already happened and largely been met with a shrug.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Zwabu posted:

Why is this MT special election being held in the first place? Did someone retire or join the Trump admin?

The previous rep was named Sec of Interior

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zwabu posted:

Ryan Zinke was picked by Trump for Secretary of the interior

edit: efb

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zwabu posted:

Its Ryan Zinke's seat after he was named Secretary of the Interior. The idea being you choose someone whose seat will stay safely red.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

fsif posted:

This seat was going to be largely symbolic anyway, but unfortunately, instead of symbolizing "uh oh, maybe we gotta taper back on killing our constituents and our deference to the insane corrupt toddler", it symbolizes "ha! gently caress off, journalists.”

Montana only has one congressman in the House. It is apples to apples.

Yeah, people are forgetting this means its open season on journalists. You can win an election while literally body slamming a reporting. Doesn't mean they'll assault them now, but it sure means they know they don't have to respect or fear journalists. In the most symbolic way possible, the free press in America is neutered. Not from this event, but the slow erosion in confidence due to Republicans politicizing the concept of facts that make it so the people we need to turn against Trump will gladly vote for him due to misinformation.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

"The vast majority of Americans" were supposed to see pussy-grabbing as a deal breaker. No, shut the gently caress up about the loving emails, if our democracy were even on the same planet as healthy no amount of hemming and hawing about a goddamn email server should have been enough to save a candidate who was recorded talking about how much he loves raping folks.

We keep sitting around waiting for the electorate to realize that the GOP is a bunch of psychotic assholes as if that hasn't already happened and largely been met with a shrug.
I'm still waiting for a point. Unless you're just kvetching about the US.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

axeil posted:

Yeah I am absolutely baffled by it too. Governor I get...sort of. Local state issues can be different from the national environment. I mean, Maryland is one of the bluest states in the nation and it elected a Republican as Governor and he's fairly popular.

Senate is the real :psyduck:

Tester is a big square-jawed buzzcut man's man tough guy who can just barely win in Montana.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TildeATH posted:

Wait who are the broke brains now? The people who think losing is winning or the people who think losing is losing?

The people who think there was anything more than a slim chance of a Dem winning an R+20 seat.

I mean, you gotta try. I myself got a bit overenthusiastic after the assault but when 2/3rds of the electorate has voted before they knew about it, its hard for it to matter.

We lost, but by way less than we "should have" which means people in districts that are only R+2 like Barbara Comstock just poo poo a massive brick.

The Dems don't need to win 330+ seats to take the House. They need to win 218, and tonight's results are in line with the last 3 specials that imply the Dems taking around 270.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Wait I just had a brainstorm. It's a retarded drunken idea but bear with me.

What if the democrats all just jumped ship and joined the republican party, and then voted for the least lovely republican in all the primaries? We'd be a one party system but we are heading to that anyway because half the country would vote for Satan if there was an R by his name. Why are we not funding this?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

8/10/3.5

that's a lot of toilets per person

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A lot of people saying it's a good sign it was a close race and shows good signs for other races, but it was a race against a guy who violently assaulted a reporter the day before election day, do you really think future races are going to be handed such a freebie the day before the election?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BardoTheConsumer posted:

What if the democrats all just jumped ship and joined the republican party, and then voted for the least lovely republican in all the primaries? We'd be a one party system but we are heading to that anyway because half the country would vote for Satan if there was an R by his name. Why are we not funding this?

And why don't they make the whole plane out of the black box, huh????

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Because this is literally the worst idea

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Spiritus Nox posted:

The electorate doesn't pay attention enough have a collective awakening, and is purely reactionary.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And yet this congressional seat was +20R. Compare apples to apples.

I don't see how comparing it to the presidential vote is apples-to-apples.

The Republican won the 2016 Montana House election by 16 points.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

A lot of people saying it's a good sign it was a close race and shows good signs for other races, but it was a race against a guy who violently assaulted a reporter the day before election day, do you really think future races are going to be handed such a freebie the day before the election?

Most of the votes was early voting

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Trump's Interior Secretary is the guy who formally held the seat.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I'm still waiting for a point. Unless you're just kvetching about the US.

The point is that I'm loving sick of people assuming that because the loving psychopath only won by 5 points or whatever this time that we're sure to get 'em next time.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BardoTheConsumer posted:

I am sober enough to confirm that this is a great idea

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Most of the votes we were talking about were early votes. The swing was there before today.

Spiritus Nox posted:

The point is that I'm loving sick of people assuming that because the loving psychopath only won by 5 points or whatever this time that we're sure to get 'em next time.

Nothing is 'sure'. But ignoring the data because you're obsessed with winning now is stupid.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Montana voters swing heavily towards early voting. About 2/3 of voters cast their ballots before the chokeslam even happened.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

In a place where most of the voting was done early and those voters cannot change their votes? Yeah.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If instead of saying "I'm sick and tired of hearing about your drat emails" Bernie had said "I'm so loving tired of hearing about your God drat emails, Jesus loving Christ who gives a poo poo" then none of this would be happening.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

BardoTheConsumer posted:

lol, you just drunk yourself stupid

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

Spaced God posted:

Because this is literally the worst idea

But if we manage to lose in 2018 and 2020 it might be the only idea.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pakled posted:

Montana voters swing heavily towards early voting. About 2/3 of voters cast their ballots before the chokeslam even happened.

Politicians and voters will still see this as validation of the chokeslam, though.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rigel posted:

No, this is silly.

A 5% loss here is good because that points to victory in 2018. Losing in 2018 points to nothing but "we're loving doomed unless we get someone as incredible as Obama to carry us in 2020"

No, look, it is totally legitimate for people to be disappointed in close losses like this and it's getting ridiculous how quickly this thread jumps on anyone who says so as if they're posting Covok-level doomsday nonsense.

The point is that a close loss in an election actually gains the Democrats nothing and it doesn't really provide any new information. It confirms to some degree that there's a shift in sentiment happening, but we already know that. We know that from Donald Trump's approval ratings, we know that from polling in this race, and we know that from polling in GA-06. It's absurd to act as if a loss actually matters in any way because it really doesn't. It also makes no sense to act like the sky is falling because a deep red seat stayed red, but you're not going to get anywhere insisting that people should be happy to lose.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I can't believe all of the reporters are going to be repeatedly punched tomorrow

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It's over. Montana is bad, this country is bad, time to drink.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I wonder if Gianforte could have actually shot Jacobs in the middle of Fifth Avenue and still got elected.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

skylined! posted:

I am sober enough to confirm that this is a great idea

Too drunk to understand sarcasm, and am therefore taking this as legitimate encouragement.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Nothing is 'sure'. But ignoring the data because you're obsessed with winning now is stupid.

The data is exactly what's frightening, actually.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Gubneratorial elections are often more about the candidate than the party. There's lots of 'crossover' candidates across the nation.

Which is actually pretty rational. Most House members are basically rubber-stamps for party leadership large percent of the time, but governors get to do what they want. (And Senators tend to be somewhat in between).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

2/3rds of the votes were submitted before the assault and that's probably much of what we already know about the results.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Spiritus Nox posted:

Politicians and voters will still see this as validation of the chokeslam, though.

Some will, admittedly.

We call those Trump voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Josh Lyman posted:

time to drink.

You are late, that was about an hour ago when early returns sucked

• Locked thread