Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rigel posted:

We will not be able to spin a loss in Georgia. The best we can say is "eh, maybe we can still barely win the house in 2018"

If the GOP really is vulnerable for 2018, we really should win that Georgia seat given the quality of candidate we have and the partisan makeup of the district.

I'm not as confident in a win there as others but I do agree that that one's a real enough race that a loss there is really and truly a disappointing loss. Not the most disappointing of losses or anything, but a very real shot that you don't want to miss.

It won't be the end of the world like Covok and his ilk will spin it as, but it will be a real and true setback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Pakled posted:

I'm inclined to say that the one that had him up by 7 is an outlier.
Why? SurveyUSA are a good pollster,.
I agree that all polling of a special election is inherently unreliable, but it's still a good result within the information we have.
And yea, Georgia would be disappointing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Hasn't the DNC been pouring money into that race, unlike in Montana?

Yes, it's already the most expensive house race ever

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Pakled posted:

Yeah, that's a reasonable analysis. Out of this year's crop of Trump appointee special elections, GA-06 has always been the best chance for the Democrats.

holy poo poo is that why so much money is being dumped there :thunk:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Jack Kingston on CNN about the "bodyslam":

"We all know these things happen in politics."

Also "he was snarky and asking for it."

He's being ripped to shreds as anyone who makes this argument will be.

The next six months are going to be amazingly horrifying in the regard to all the new and escalatingly brutal ways reporters are gone get assaulted in the wake of this. Mark my words.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

axeil posted:

Their CEO has explicitly said they want to be the next FOX News.

I have a source that heard him explicitly saying that to their Board.

I have a series of texts and screenshots but no true smoking gun. They are very litigious and it would be very clear who leaked it to me and I would legit worry about their career and safety.

I think with enough concerted effort we can make sure "being the next fox news" means floating off into obscurity as the media market changes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

We will not be able to spin a loss in Georgia. The best we can say is "eh, maybe we can still barely win the house in 2018"

If the GOP really is vulnerable for 2018, we really should win that Georgia seat given the quality of candidate we have and the partisan makeup of the district.

I'm pretty sure both counties in Ossoff's district went Hillary. Cobb County hadn't gone for a Democrat in forever before 2016. Fulton is Atlanta, so I think it goes Democrat every election.

The biggest things they keep hammering Ossoff on is Nancy Pelosi and the fact he doesn't live in the district he's running in. It's all probably going to come down to the debate.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

The next six months are going to be amazingly horrifying in the regard to all the new and escalatingly brutal ways reporters are gone get assaulted in the wake of this. Mark my words.

This is the one thing I think we can be certain of, except not just reporters. Anyone perceived to be anti-republican.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

skylined! posted:

holy poo poo is that why so much money is being dumped there :thunk:

Dailykos identified it early as the juiciest prime opportunity and raised millions for that race. After a while, the DCCC came around and agreed with that conclusion.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

empty whippet box posted:

This is the one thing I think we can be certain of, except not just reporters. Anyone perceived to be anti-republican.

So what are we going to do about it?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Hasn't the DNC been pouring money into that race, unlike in Montana?

Yeah but Handel is a total shitbird of a candidate nobody likes and the Sixth is actually less of a solid +R these days than previous elections would indicate. There's no silver lining or "we tried :unsmith:" to that race.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Sinclair is pretty worrying. People consistently rate local news as more trustworthy than any other news source. Plus, it's harder to criticize Sinclair because their programming is distributed, unlike Fox News or Breitbart. They don't brand their content, so you probably don't know they're behind your local news station unless you specifically look it up. And when a Sinclair-owned station does something stupid, it doesn't resonate with a national audience the way that, say, Sean Hannity spouting dumb poo poo does, because people don't care about what happens on a local news station on the other side of the country.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Just because one psycho snapped and actually attacked a reporter does not mean that open season has begun and that is going to just start happening on a regular basis. Jesus.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RuanGacho posted:

Well, short term, phonebank for Ossoff.

Long term won't be a concern after Trump burns the sky

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

I think with enough concerted effort we can make sure "being the next fox news" means floating off into obscurity as the media market changes.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

People still watch local news?!?

I mean, hell, olds, but I'm old and to me Sinclair sounds like a plot to set up a conservative rotary phone network

That's my hope. I still keep up to date on my local news and all the good reporting is done by local-focused blogs these days. TV news is for the Olds.

That's my hope at least :ohdear:

Pakled posted:

Sinclair is pretty worrying. People consistently rate local news as more trustworthy than any other news source. Plus, it's harder to criticize Sinclair because their programming is distributed, unlike Fox News or Breitbart. They don't brand their content, so you probably don't know they're behind your local news station unless you specifically look it up. And when a Sinclair-owned station does something stupid, it doesn't resonate with a national audience the way that, say, Sean Hannity spouting dumb poo poo does, because people don't care about what happens on a local news station on the other side of the country.

Fun fact: they were fined a shitload of money by the FCC for not properly designating that stories were playing on local news that came out of the main office.

Their bid winning for the Tribune is in the words of John McCain "deeply troubling"

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 26, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Oh look, the polling places in Fulton have been shaken up.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/fulton-changes-district-poll-spots-after-unforeseen-circumstances/kU9onYZzOOPXFCqw1kKGoM/

quote:

Voters in north Fulton County must go to a different polling place to cast their votes in the upcoming runoff.

Fulton County announced on Wednesday that is changing the locations of 12 polling places for the June 20 election when voters will decide if Jon Ossoff or Karen Handel will fill the congressional seat in Georgia’s 6th District.

The county cited “unforeseen circumstances” as to why the locations changed.

“The locations will either be undergoing renovations or have scheduled events. The timing of this election is causing us to make these changes,” Richard Baron, Fulton County’s director of registration and elections, said in a statement. “I strongly encourage residents to take a moment to verify if they are affected by the changes prior to Election Day.”

Fulton County says it mailed 109,296 notification letters to voters on Monday and that concerned residents should check online to find out if the changes affect their polling place.

Who could have ever expected this.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What is Sinclair? I've never heard of them before.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
If you find the blade too unnerving under any circumstance, kneel down and dig a hole big enough for your head and insert it. Cover and wait. This nifty trick has saved the dignatas of many a common soldier.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 26, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Just because one psycho snapped and actually attacked a reporter does not mean that open season has begun and that is going to just start happening on a regular basis. Jesus.

Yeah, I find the idea that this is some gate that just got broken down to be highly questionable. Besides the fact that I'm not convinced there's THAT many uncontrollably violent idiots in elected office the GOP is already tripping over themselves trying to figure out how to deal with one guy who did it. The overwhelming stuff I've seen on Fox News has been negative towards Gianforte and even Kayleigh McWhatsherface said he should resign his seat.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's part of a rising tide that will be lifting all boats shortly.

RuanGacho posted:

:killing:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Broadcast_Group

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

shitfuck babby broadcast media empire that is getting a special helping of gop enabling

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Rigel posted:

What it would suggest, IMO, is that the whole idiotic "Panera Bread" strategy needs to be discarded. The Democratic Party's hopes for electoral success aren't going to be found in affluent white suburbs, or among the professional class. It's time to win back the working class, of all races, ethnicities, and religions.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They own about half of all local news stations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Broadcast_Group

They are evil.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Its a media company that owns a ton of local TV channels. Lately they seem to have been growing in scope and focused conservative messaging.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Schizotek posted:

If you find the blade too unnerving under any circumstance, kneel down and dig a hole big enough for your head an insert it. Cover and wait. This nifty trick has saved the dignatas of many a common soldier.

I'm really appreciating these tips.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A company that owns a large amount of local news stations that in recent years has been pushing a more and more conservative line.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

skylined! posted:

I'm really appreciating these tips.

The tidbit about the bowels is particularly useful.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Decision Desk has called it for Gianforte and I can't disagree. There is now enough votes in for the larger counties to see that although there was probably a post-slam Quist vote wave, it is just not going to be enough to win.

It mattered, but it did not matter enough to win. Things still look good for 2018.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
First the Penguins win and now Gianforte probably

life is hell

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Ahahhaha as a guy who sucker punched and choked out a reporter got elected, what the gently caress is wrong with Montana

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

STAC Goat posted:

Its a media company that owns a ton of local TV channels. Lately they seem to have been growing in scope and focused conservative messaging.

From the Wikipedia:

quote:

Sinclair often mandates its stations to air specific reports, segments, and editorials, referred to as "must-runs". The practice has been criticized by the news staff of some of Sinclair's stations due to the viewpoints that they propagate; newsroom employees of KOMO in Seattle told The New York Times that they felt the pieces were low quality, and were too politically skewed for the city's progressive audience. One employee admitted that they had tried to reduce their prominence by deliberately scheduling them during lesser-viewed portions of newscasts (such as around commercial breaks).[109][110][111] Following the September 11 attacks, Sinclair ordered its stations to read editorials in support of President George W. Bush's response to the attack. The Baltimore Sun reported that the staff of Sinclair's Baltimore station, WBFF, internally objected to the editorial, as they felt that the endorsement would "undermine public faith in their political objectivity". The station, however, complied with the mandate.[112][107]

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A company of assholes trying to monopolize local broadcast television and well on the way to doing so thanks to deregulation from their good buddy President Trump.

Instead of being on Fox news, they get to inject their bullshit directly into local syndication including guest spots from their cool new Political Analyst, Boris Epshtyn.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/03/business/dealbook/sinclair-media-expansion-fox-conservative-media.html

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Chilichimp posted:

gently caress Gianforte. Why does a guy who assaults reporters get to sit in the house of representatives.

gently caress this gay earth.

Because that is more appealing than a Democrat. Democrats have a serious messaging issue.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Sinclair is also likely buying out Tribune after the FCC decided to loosen up market share regulations last month.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Low Desert Punk posted:

First the Penguins win and now Gianforte probably

life is hell

Only half of this is a bad thing

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

60% of the vote was cast before body-slam gate. Can we get that in giant 100 point bold font with sirens flashing around it?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

Instead of being on Fox news, they get to inject their bullshit directly into local syndication including guest spots from their cool new Political Analyst, Boris Epshtyn.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/03/business/dealbook/sinclair-media-expansion-fox-conservative-media.html

Who was definitely not hired as a kickback to the Trump admin to mysteriously make their FCC fines go away and approve their acquisition of the Tribune.

Nope.

Definitely not.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

60% of the vote was cast before body-slam gate. Can we get that in giant 100 point bold font with sirens flashing around it?

Use my example from earlier.

axeil posted:

There is an election between A and B with 11 voters.
8 of them vote before the election and split 5-3 in favor of A.
A blows up a church the day before the election.
B wins the election day 2-1.

B still loses by 1 vote, despite winning 66%-33% on election day.

This is what has occurred. The church blowing up didn't matter because most of the electorate had already voted, and B needed 100% of the outstanding votes to win, which never happens.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The whole poet-musician thing was fun, but yeah, I guess we still need to insist on serious high-quality candidates.

https://twitter.com/pkcapitol/status/867950123871080448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So how long til the Covoking stops?

• Locked thread