Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

Fair enough. Don't blame him, with the god awful twitter activations cap he pretty much has to.

Twitter has been making exceptions for popular developers for a while now.

bull3964 posted:

All this stuff is already happening. Target made headlines years ago when they accurately predicted someone in a household was pregnant before that teen told her parents.

Turn off ad personalization in your Google account, don't keep location history, and don't use a logged in browser when doing product research and you are fairly invisible to marketers.

I would also recommend using cash in any store though because retailers are already tracking your purchases and tailoring advertising around it.

I legitimately wonder why anyone would care about "being tracked". As you point out you already are being tracked and the "fix" is to disable everything useful on the internet and live in a foil-lined cardboard box under a bridge.

Also I genuinely laughed at the suggestion of "using cash". Why yes, I'll forgo consumer protections afforded to me by my credit card so I can avoid EVIL TRACKING. Or wait, maybe instead I'll use my paper bitcoins for the only things it's good for which are illicit drug purchases and sexual favors and paying ransoms and just keep on using my card for everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Have an Xperia X. After updating to Android 7.0 or something it will no longer be recognized by anything if I try to connect via USB which is a pain in the rear end for Android Auto and the like. Is this a common problem?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

No notification pops up asking to use it as a storage device?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I'll use my paper bitcoins for the only things it's good for which are illicit drug purchases and sexual favors and paying ransoms.

You might have just made me a bitcoin fan

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Twitter has been making exceptions for popular developers for a while now.

I legitimately wonder why anyone would care about "being tracked". As you point out you already are being tracked and the "fix" is to disable everything useful on the internet and live in a foil-lined cardboard box under a bridge.

Also I genuinely laughed at the suggestion of "using cash". Why yes, I'll forgo consumer protections afforded to me by my credit card so I can avoid EVIL TRACKING. Or wait, maybe instead I'll use my paper bitcoins for the only things it's good for which are illicit drug purchases and sexual favors and paying ransoms and just keep on using my card for everything else.

Not to mention the irony of someone who worries about being tracked using Android in the first place.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Blue Train posted:

No notification pops up asking to use it as a storage device?

Nope. Used to, but not anymore and my computer says there's a problem with my USB device and it was not recognized

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Desk Lamp posted:

Not to mention the irony of someone who worries about being tracked using Android in the first place.

Also, mention the "free open-source OS" meme long enough and everybody forgets about Google's very own closed-sourced ecosystem monopoly running on top.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Pixel XL here. Anyone else having issues with the mini browser never loading web pages fully? Things like the shortcuts to tracking packages in inbox, urls in the awful app, and links on Twitter are all not working 90% of the time lately.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sextro posted:

Pixel XL here. Anyone else having issues with the mini browser never loading web pages fully? Things like the shortcuts to tracking packages in inbox, urls in the awful app, and links on Twitter are all not working 90% of the time lately.

Are you using an adblocking solution of some kind?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Sextro posted:

Yeah just noticed that a couple of weeks ago. Twitter being the biggest offender

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently Project FI started blacklisting the IMEIs on all of those resold pixels from a few months ago.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/05/25/resold-pixel-phones-originally-purchased-project-fi-imeis-blacklisted/

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Thanks to those who recommended Light Flow. My phone will unlock with a thumbprint (maybe a retina scan too? :lol:) but can't be hosed with the complexities of making a flashy light when I got notifications. Suck my balls Samsung. Or Android. Or VZ. Or all 3!

Also whoever recommended AdHell a while back. Thank you. I can finally click horrible click bait and not devastate my phone!!

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

fartzone_42069 posted:

Thanks to those who recommended Light Flow. My phone will unlock with a thumbprint (maybe a retina scan too? :lol:) but can't be hosed with the complexities of making a flashy light when I got notifications. Suck my balls Samsung. Or Android. Or VZ. Or all 3!

Also whoever recommended AdHell a while back. Thank you. I can finally click horrible click bait and not devastate my phone!!

Even better than AdHell (or in addition) is using the Samsung Browser instead of Chrome. It's way the gently caress faster, it has built in extensions including content/ad blocking, uses less battery and you can finally sync your bookmarks with Chrome. Plus it allows biometrics for logging into webpages.

Normally I'd never suggest a Samsung app that's an alternative to a Google one but it's night and day based on my last 24ish hours of switching.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

LastInLine posted:

It makes some people feel uncomfortable? :shrug:

If a feature gives me some real benefit then I'll leave it on but otherwise why would I not disable it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

It makes some people feel uncomfortable? :shrug:

If a feature gives me some real benefit then I'll leave it on but otherwise why would I not disable it?

Because it's a false sense of security and overly paranoid. You're already being tracked, disabling that isn't going to help.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You gotta root your phone install lineageos don't run gapps and install a firewall that blacklists traffic by default including system processes and only whitelist apps that need to connect out, to start with

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

ubuntu phone + richard stallman's emacs scripts that requests websites you're interested in and emails the content to you. emacs is also the email client.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Because it's a false sense of security and overly paranoid. You're already being tracked, disabling that isn't going to help.

So because they know one aspect about me I should just let them know all aspects regardless if I benefit at all from giving up that data? That's dumb.

If I've got the option to turn something off I don't use why wouldn't I?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 25, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

You gotta root your phone install lineageos don't run gapps and install a firewall that blacklists traffic by default including system processes and only whitelist apps that need to connect out, to start with

bitch you haven't even seen my hosts

because i can't get it out of there

how did this thing unroot itself!?!?

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Godinster posted:

Samsung Browser

Whoa this is nice! Thanks. :)

Stays open when I close all tabs. Option to download things to SD card. Catch up Chrome!

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 25, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My brain is trained to swipe down from the address bar on mobile chrome to open a new tab or swipe between them, so Samsung Browser might not be usable for my broken brain :(

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Regarding the conversation on purchasing privacy, keep in mind the reason a bunch of retail giants eschewed NFC secure elements and tried to midwife The Payment System Formerly Known As ISIS is because Apple Pay etc wouldn't leave a recurring identity that they can then track your purchasing history through.

These services send an encrypted packet to the store's card processor machine, which then passes the encrypted packet along to the financial institution. The financial institution has the key to open the encrypted packet, read your consistent ID number for the system and then say "okay, ID #1284850 is Bob, tied to his Visa card number 1440-etc", and then processes it.

This is why your bank has to support Apple/Android Pay, because the bank buys equipment that handles a lot of the data that used to be handled internally on the in-store equipment until Target et al found out how terrible that is.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 25, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
How often will google refresh its nexus/pixel line? Is it due for an update?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Calaveron posted:

How often will google refresh its nexus/pixel line? Is it due for an update?

Every fall. You will see leaks, rumours, etc, but it'll be out in October.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Because someone on the internet might get cross with you.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

Again, they have that data anyway. Also they make the telephone, so they can do what Microsoft does on Windows 10 and just say it's disabled while still actually collecting the data. The only thing the option does is deny any benefit to you, which is fine if you want to do that, lots of people want stupid things.

If you want proof, just look at the statement that started this derail: Google captures 70% of credit card transactions. The fact that they're not a bank or payment processor and Android Pay isn't exactly setting the world on fire should indicate the degree to which they can track people who aren't even directly engaging with a particular service. It's not like there's going to be an option to "Disable Google just inferring poo poo about me."

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So, if you folks can tolerate a 'behind the times' post...

I've never ever used a podcast app/RSS feed/something similar to automagically download regularly scheduled episodes. Now that I'm a Mon-Fri working joe, I feel like it'd be nice to wake up to a little morning news blurb while i zombie shuffle around my apartment.

So, what I'm asking is, can anyone recommend a podcast app that's easy to program/set up? I've been using BeyondPod for the past few years purely for things I download via my browser anyway (mainly WeHateMovies), but I wouldn't mind something a bit more modern for my entry-level rear end. :shobon:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Morter posted:

I've never ever used a podcast app/RSS feed/something similar to automagically download regularly scheduled episodes. Now that I'm a Mon-Fri working joe, I feel like it'd be nice to wake up to a little morning news blurb while i zombie shuffle around my apartment.

So, what I'm asking is, can anyone recommend a podcast app that's easy to program/set up? I've been using BeyondPod for the past few years purely for things I download via my browser anyway (mainly WeHateMovies), but I wouldn't mind something a bit more modern for my entry-level rear end. :shobon:

Pocket Casts has worked fine for me for podcasts.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Morter posted:

If BeyondPod has been working fine, why look for a different app?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Morter posted:

If you're already using Google Music, the app has podcast capabilities built in. It's missing many of the better fine-tuning features of these other apps, but it works fine for my purposes.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Not a podcast app but as far as a "morning news blurb": if you have Google Assistant ask it "what does my day look like?" On first use (and I assume in some settings you can access later) you'll be prompted to select some news sources like NPR or ESPN from which it will compile short audio daily briefings (as well as a summary of your calendar, weather, etc.)

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

The guess what I want to do/type based on your massive data mining and pinpoint location mapping is actually quite helpful if you're really drunk or otherwise hosed up.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

hooah posted:

If BeyondPod has been working fine, why look for a different app?

I only use BeyondPod for a specific thing (playing manually downloaded mp3s) but even that is a pain in the rear end, so I'm looking to change it. I've never actually used it for it's podcast fuction, but at a cursory glance seems obtuse, hance why asking for something easier.

Is it worth trying out?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Not a podcast app but as far as a "morning news blurb": if you have Google Assistant ask it "what does my day look like?" On first use (and I assume in some settings you can access later) you'll be prompted to select some news sources like NPR or ESPN from which it will compile short audio daily briefings (as well as a summary of your calendar, weather, etc.)

You can also just say ok Google read me the news

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Morter posted:

I only use BeyondPod for a specific thing (playing manually downloaded mp3s) but even that is a pain in the rear end, so I'm looking to change it. I've never actually used it for it's podcast fuction, but at a cursory glance seems obtuse, hance why asking for something easier.

Is it worth trying out?

I think it works pretty well. I've been using it for quite a while, though, so I may be used to some things that are more obtuse to someone just starting out with the podcast functionality. I think the basic stuff is pretty straightforward, though. PocketCasts is also good, however, so take your pick.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pocketcasts is fantastic but I've only ever used it for podcasts.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

There's a reason the Android app thread subtitle for a long time was "Just get Pocketcasts."

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Morter posted:

Is it worth trying out?

How is it obtuse? Search for the podcast, subscribe to it and choose how many episodes you want to keep etc.

It's certainly going to be a tonne less effort than manually managing audio files

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

LastInLine posted:

The only thing the option does is deny any benefit to you, which is fine if you want to do that, lots of people want stupid things.

You got a real superiority complex ain't you?

I've said several times. I'm not using these features I've turned off, I lose out on nothing. Yes Google can still infer stuff about me in different ways but those ways have their limits, and I'd rather just not hand it all to them on a platter when I get nothing out of it. If they made their voice search actually work for me maybe I'll reconsider but as it stands features like OK Google are just an annoyance that randomly gets triggered by my radio and sat nav.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

You can also just say ok Google read me the news

And you can customize the feed in the Home app. The blurb I use is the NPR News Summary. If you go to your podcast app and add the podcast then set it to keep only the latest one it will always be available.

Alternately, you could just ask Google Assistant what the news is and it will do that all automatically.