Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Fulchrum posted:

So how long til the Covoking stops?

come back next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
A last word of advice. If you're of the philosophical type you may have been thinking of foraging in the brush for hemlock and going out like a certain Athenian. Bear in mind that the man in question was a foreign barbarian, a supporter of tyrants, and a traitor to his own Republic. If such a man should be your role model, why bother? Your true compatriots are on the other side of the battlefield.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Majorian posted:

What it would suggest, IMO, is that the whole idiotic "Panera Bread" strategy needs to be discarded.

Can confirm. My dad loving loves Panera bread, and he would vote for that foreboding black sphere of burning death from the Fifth Element if it whispered "tax cuts" over the radio.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DariusLikewise posted:

Ahahhaha as a guy who sucker punched and choked out a reporter got elected, what the gently caress is wrong with Montana

The same thing that's wrong with the rest of your country. Now tune in next week when Marsha Blackburn pepper sprays Andrea Mitchell and then throws her down a flight of stairs because she said the word "Russia" within a ten foot radius of her.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
When is Trump due back so we can see his bad tweets again?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

60% of the vote was cast before body-slam gate. Can we get that in giant 100 point bold font with sirens flashing around it?

Doesn't matter. People want to bitch.

Fulchrum posted:

I think Trump comes home on Saturday so as soon as he gets on a phone.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Rigel posted:

The whole poet-musician thing was fun, but yeah, I guess we still need to insist on serious high-quality candidates.

https://twitter.com/pkcapitol/status/867950123871080448

Wrong

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dirk Pitt posted:

Because that is more appealing than a Democrat. Democrats have a serious messaging issue.

The only issue democrats have is their message doesn't reach people who get their news from right wing outlets.

That's not a MESSAGING issue and it's high time the fairness doctrine returned.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fulchrum posted:

As soon as I confirm, 100% for sure that the race is over, I'm not coming back to this thread till like loving Monday.

edit: barring big news of course

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
if the dems want to win they'd better start eating mac and cheetos god drat it

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Raylen posted:

When is Trump due back so we can see his bad tweets again?

I wonder if they told him his phones don't work in Europe.

If no one made this joke yet; smh.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chilichimp posted:

The only issue democrats have is their message doesn't reach people who get their news from right wing outlets.

that's a fine catch-22 you've reasoned yourself into

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

Because that is more appealing than a Democrat. Democrats have a serious messaging issue.

When voters are at all receptive to a message of "I'm going to loving eat people. Just not you. (probably)" I think it's fair to say that there's problems on both ends.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rigel posted:

As soon as I confirm, 100% for sure that the race is over, I'm not coming back to this thread till like loving Monday.

edit: barring big news of course

Man, we all need to take a long holiday weekend from this thread and let Covok and his ilk wallow alone. I'm doing beer, bbq, and people I love the next few days.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

60% of the vote was cast before body-slam gate. Can we get that in giant 100 point bold font with sirens flashing around it?

I think the people who care enough to post in a thread about the live results of a Montana special election are likely already aware of this.

It's possible that one can know this information and still conclude it's a disappointing evening or that it probably wouldn't have made a difference in the election even if it happened two weeks ago.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

I Am Not Spor posted:

God, that would be hilarious if they told him that the Saudis believe cellphones are blasphemous

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Chilichimp posted:

No, they have a messaging issue. Their messaging is largely geared towards voters like those found in GA-6: white, affluent, professional-class suburbanites. That is why they are not in power anymore. That is why the Republicans are in power, and why you will never see a return to the fairness doctrine until the Dems improve their messaging.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is Sinclair? I've never heard of them before.

Dinosaur media

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rigel posted:

The whole poet-musician thing was fun, but yeah, I guess we still need to insist on serious high-quality candidates.

https://twitter.com/pkcapitol/status/867950123871080448

do we really think a "high quality candidate" would really have done better than Quist in this election? And does a "high quality candidate" who wants to be House Representative from the state of Montana potentially for just 18 months even exist?

what we really need to do is make sure our opponents assault journalists, but not so close to the election that the effect isn't really felt.

On the bright side I wouldn't be surprised if we see states that don't already have them pass laws allowing people who voted early to void their vote in case of emergencies (like their choice of candidate assaulting a journalist)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I Am Not Spor posted:

"Sorry Mr President, they don't have cell phones in the Middle East or Europe yet."

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

do we really think a "high quality candidate" would really have done better than Quist in this election? And does a "high quality candidate" who wants to be House Representative from the state of Montana potentially for just 18 months even exist?

what we really need to do is make sure our opponents assault journalists, but not so close to the election that the effect isn't really felt.

On the bright side I wouldn't be surprised if we see states that don't already have them pass laws allowing people who voted early to void their vote in case of emergencies (like their choice of candidate assaulting a journalist)

A big reason why Tester wins, aside from his strong optics, is that he first served in the state legislature for a while before he tried to win a Senate seat. People got used to voting for him and seeing him as a serious person (even if he was from that other party) before he made the big ask.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Voiding your vote laws would be loving awful and is the dumbest idea.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Some anti-Covoking:

David Wasserman posted:

The idea that Gianforte will win this race makes a lot of Democrats’ stomachs turn. But believe it or not, as long as the margin stays in the 5 to 10 percent range, I’m still of the mind that this result will bode well for Democrats nationally. Keep in mind what Nate said at the beginning of the night: “A few weeks ago, [5 to 10] would probably have been regarded as a good result Democrats. But to the extent that expectations matter, Republicans had done a better job of managing them even before the body-slam incident. So this might be interpreted as a fairly poor result for Democrats, even though it could be a pretty good one by the numbers.”

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Voiding your vote laws would be loving awful and is the dumbest idea.

Hilariously we might actually get some real ~*VOTER FRAUD*~ out of it

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

To this point wasn't it more an issue that no one wanted to run in the first place? So when Quist came within striking distance his personality "defects" came to the fore.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Reminder that while we have allies in the world, there are literally foreign nation states aligned against progressive values and trying to import them to the US. Not that it has anything to do with Montana but we are fighting more than our neighbors and the struggle must be considered as such.

We will still win.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

When Ossoff wins, if ever.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What's going on with Kushner and the FBI are they actually really looking into his meetings?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

OK, its over. I don't know why the networks haven't called it yet, but I'm out.

We now have enough to say that the choke slam did definitely move votes to Quist on election day, but it wasn't nearly enough for Quist to win. Whether its because there were too many early votes or because Montana is loving awful, we'll never know.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

withak posted:

"Sorry Mr President, they don't have cell phones in the Middle East or Europe yet."

This story is going to break any day now.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

"Covoking" has officially replaced "Arzying" as the way this thread expresses anxiety

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
The part that blows me away isn't as much the body slam- I mean we all know Republicans in this country are big fans of violence against people they dislike. It's that he was able to put out a statement full of complete and total lies and 100% get away with it. His campaign basically said that he was goaded into an attack and that he was defending himself, which the audio completely disproves.

Yet he won't face any consequences for openly lying to the public about a crime he committed.

It's not so much that Democrats have a "messaging problem" it's that half of the country are unrepentant scum that would vote for a Republican pederast over any Democrat.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

SamuraiFoochs posted:

When Ossoff wins, if ever.

Ossoff isn't going to win.

Look, I want to offer a measured response about Montana. It's a conservative state. The 11th hour came WAY too late and even so did move votes. 2/3s had already voted.

But the fact is the American left is dead and our democracy soon behind it. Before our children are grown, we'll be the ranting old communists on college campuses or being lined up against the wall. Elections will survive in the Russian or Chinese style and the authoritarian American Wasteland will amount to something like 30% of the population and 100% of the governing power.

They won't govern, of course. Taxes will be collected from the poor to fund the Military Industrial complex while everything else crumbles around us. There will be a few holdouts, but eventually San Fransico tech bros will show us the error of our ways and progressives will morph into libertarians.

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 26, 2017

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Unzip and Attack posted:

It's not so much that Democrats have a "messaging problem" it's that half of the country are unrepentant scum that would vote for a Republican pederast over any Democrat.

To be fair, there isn't a whole lot that could get me to vote for a Republican. You could give me the most reprehensible Democrat in the world and I'd still vote for them over a saintly Republican if I knew that both people would be working in line with their party platforms.

I don't know. poo poo's broken.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Unzip and Attack posted:

The part that blows me away isn't as much the body slam- I mean we all know Republicans in this country are big fans of violence against people they dislike. It's that he was able to put out a statement full of complete and total lies and 100% get away with it. His campaign basically said that he was goaded into an attack and that he was defending himself, which the audio completely disproves.

Yet he won't face any consequences for openly lying to the public about a crime he committed.

Most of the votes were already in before that happened. You probably would have seen a closer or reversed result without that. As far as consequences, he's getting misdemeanor assault, which is fair by the standards of assault in the state.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Unzip and Attack posted:

Republican voters vote for what they imagine their candidates to be, not what they are. One of the ways we can start to fix this is turning their own messaging against them.

For example, if 10 million people may die from loss of health insurance coverage over the next decade, why is the GOP in favor of killing more Americans than 3300 9/11s?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Unzip and Attack posted:

As others have pointed out, most Montana voters voted before the bodyslam. The notion that all voters who went for Trump are irredeemables who the Dems can't ever win, so they shouldn't try, is both a cop-out and a self-defeating mindset.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Ossoff isn't going to win.

He's got a better shot than Quist but this thread should manage its expectations because it's going to be v close

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Unzip and Attack posted:

What consequences did you want him to face oly 30% of the votes were cast after the event....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm no Yank, but I thought Montana was a deeply R state. If this Quist dude managed to lose by a small margin, then shouldn't you guys condier that a win? Especially if that dumb healthcare bill gets passed, then all you have to do is wait for the Great Republican Self Genocide and/or voter anger to carry 2018.

• Locked thread