Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Straight up, if they included a line about Malcador advising Guilliman to do it THIS time, It'd be mad respect. The line about him asking/chastising the Emperor about this silly man-only thing was always one of the best from the Heresy series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They should leave vat grown primaris marines male, but make it that regular space marines that get biglied turn into females.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

RagnarokAngel posted:

It didn't say who or what was in the vat :tinfoil:

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

JBP posted:

They should leave vat grown primaris marines male, but make it that regular space marines that get biglied turn into females.

This would be perfect, it would be a bigger nerd triggering than the original AoS introduction

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Hey, for all we know the Marines in those huge suits of armor could be female! You do not need boob-plate for a model to be female.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

NORTH-HALL posted:

Shokk attack guns would be a good are the best ork sniper weapon ??

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Khisanth Magus posted:

Hey, for all we know the Marines in those huge suits of armor could be female! You do not need boob-plate for a model to be female.

Once injected with a gently caress ton of steroids and god knows what women would basically look the same anyway.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They're all men until fluff states otherwise.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Vat grown big marines are basically 6 year old child soldiers going to all boys school. If they see a lady they screech, run, and hide

I hope in the fluff an ogryn has more intelligence

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Xarlaxas posted:

Silenced Noise Marine weapons. :colbert:

Bass is felt, not heard.

WUB FOR THE WUB GOD

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Liquid Communism posted:

Bass is felt, not heard.

WUB FOR THE WUB GOD

Not emptyquoting.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I thought the process to become a marine included getting rid of unneeded body parts like testicles and penises so who the gently caress cares what they are. If they retconned or it's part of a drug and alcohol fueled memory then whatevs.

SUCH AN HONOR TO BECOME THE ULTIMATE (sexless) HUMAN!!!! I FIGHT FOR A HUMANITY I NO LONGER TAKE A PART OF!!!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xarlaxas posted:

Silenced Noise Marine weapons. :colbert:

Ultrasonic marines

Pawl posted:

They'll play at a pitch that only wild dogs can hear

^

S.J. posted:

things will get loud now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsGRsDe3iRw&t=4s

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

LingcodKilla posted:

I thought the process to become a marine included getting rid of unneeded body parts like testicles and penises so who the gently caress cares what they are. If they retconned or it's part of a drug and alcohol fueled memory then whatevs.

SUCH AN HONOR TO BECOME THE ULTIMATE (sexless) HUMAN!!!! I FIGHT FOR A HUMANITY I NO LONGER TAKE A PART OF!!!!

Who cares about the gender of men who are repeatedly referred to as men and can only specifically be men, yes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you cut off a man's penis he isn't a man any more :shepface:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Also I mean, the lore is pretty inconsistent on that anyway. I dont think there's a single good answer on it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RagnarokAngel posted:

Also I mean, the lore is pretty inconsistent on that anyway. I dont think there's a single good answer on it.

Young boys of a wargaming introductory age become big violent fantasy supermen.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't think that has ever been mentioned in the lore. People have just made that up and it's somehow stuck around.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Safety Factor posted:

I don't think that has ever been mentioned in the lore. People have just made that up and it's somehow stuck around.

The lore around every single chapter is that they take kids boys for training followed by gene manipulation at age 9-15 depending who wrote it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

JBP posted:

The lore around every single chapter is that they take kids boys for training followed by gene manipulation at age 9-15 depending who wrote it.

Oh no, I'm not talking about that part. The part about cutting their dicks off. I imagine having a weird cocktail of chemicals shot into you very well might make you sterile but I don't think they castrate them.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
They don't and I am sad I can know enough about this to say that. It's not even been a thing some weird chapters do.

And even then the notion that this would make them somehow not explicitly gendered male in literally everything written about them is :psyduck:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think everyone looks at "can't reproduce" and imagines that means "no penis" because they are first exposed to this information at age 9 with no understanding of how penises generate more humans.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So apparently the Dark Imperium box is not the starter set. It's just a new edition bundle.

So we must not have seen everything yet?

susan
Jan 14, 2013
I do wonder if a woman could transition to a baseline-enough man to become Astartes. I mean, if it's a matter of hormones, we can kinda fix that part now, much less 28k years from now. Space Marine bodies are so altered by the process already, it couldn't be that hard.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I wonder how much it would cost me to commission a Tom of Finland style series depicting His Holy Space Marines loving each other in skull adorned Roman bath houses.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Zuul the Cat posted:

So apparently the Dark Imperium box is not the starter set. It's just a new edition bundle.

So we must not have seen everything yet?

What would be the difference?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

susan posted:

I do wonder if a woman could transition to a baseline-enough man to become Astartes. I mean, if it's a matter of hormones, we can kinda fix that part now, much less 28k years from now. Space Marine bodies are so altered by the process already, it couldn't be that hard.

I don't see why you'd even have to transition. Its gene therapy and organ implants, gender shouldn't really matter... unless one of the organ implants is like power testicles or something :haw:

The only reason there aren't lady marines is because of dumb religion and tradition. But the same dumb religion created the sisters of battle so its a wash.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

The only reason there aren't lady marines is because of dumb religion and tradition. But the same dumb religion created the sisters of battle so its a wash.

This would be a good argument if the imperium was an actual place with actual rules enforced by real people, but it's actually just a big gay story made up for miniature gaming.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

The only reason there aren't lady marines is because of dumb religion and tradition. But the same dumb religion created the sisters of battle so its a wash. insular, pasty male nerds who created the setting in the 80's not really thinking of anyone but themselves and who still drive the setting with outdated ideas.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JBP posted:

This would be a good argument if the imperium was an actual place with actual rules enforced by real people, but it's actually just a big gay story made up for miniature gaming.

Hey I said it was dumb, just pointing out the hypocrisy :)

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
In my head Marines are both male and female but just call each other "brother" because all the Primarchs (that we know of) were dudes and they're just cargo-culting that poo poo

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If the lore ever covered dick chopping I must have missed it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

adamantium|wang posted:

In my head Marines are both male and female but just call each other "brother" because all the Primarchs (that we know of) were dudes and they're just cargo-culting that poo poo

How about lady Space Marines but they all talk like the woman police chief from Futurama?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If the lore ever covered dick chopping I must have missed it.

Yeah I've never even heard this apocryphaly before tonight.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 26, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

JBP posted:

If you cut off a man's penis he isn't a man any more :shepface:

If you cut off a mans useless penis, inject him with buckets of hormones, implant a layer of armor under his skin, give him the ability to absorb memories by eating the brains of his victims, supply him with acid saliva, install a second heart, put in a growth that reproduces all the organs that are needed to create another marine from a host volunteer, create the whole idea from fantasy sci-fi then yes, you no longer have a man you have a loving nightmare.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

LingcodKilla posted:

If you cut off a mans useless penis, inject him with buckets of hormones, implant a layer of armor under his skin, give him the ability to absorb memories by eating the brains of his victims, supply him with acid saliva, install a second heart, put in a growth that reproduces all the organs that are needed to create another marine from a host volunteer, create the whole idea from fantasy sci-fi then yes, you no longer have a man you have a loving nightmare.

man space marines are metal as gently caress.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
All marines should be male but they should also all have huge tits.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hihohe posted:

Indeed.

Though they may still have a useless and shriveled organ. Never seen anything about them having kids. Castrating your super-warrior class would help prevent them from trying to establish kingdoms based on bloodlines.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I've heard people extrapolate some of the stuff as meaning that they're chemically castrated, but that's not actually in the fluff anywhere.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

LingcodKilla posted:

Indeed.

Though they may still have a useless and shriveled organ. Never seen anything about them having kids. Castrating your super-warrior class would help prevent them from trying to establish kingdoms based on bloodlines.

If you weren't immediately struck dead by a literal anvil falling on you after making this post then irony is dead.

What the hell even is a Space Marine Chapter but a kingdom based on bloodlines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hihohe posted:

but chaos marines are even more metaler!

• Locked thread