Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!

s.i.r.e. posted:

The guy that goes into the spoopy dungeon with the large alien, flowering nutsacks that open up to expose their living flesh interiors and then peers into them isn't dumb? lol

Excuse mne, it's a large alien, flowering vagina :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

The guy that goes into the spoopy dungeon with the large alien, flowering nutsacks that open up to expose their living flesh interiors and then peers into them isn't dumb? lol

Nope. Like I said, my child, he's a man of doubt in a position of authority. He's a brow beaten figure looking for alleviation from his faith, which is why he willingly follows David below into hell the egg nursery.

The devil waits to embrace you with open arms.

E: I wonder what other Catholics think of this movie. As a man of faith, I adore it with all my heart.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hodgepodge posted:

Excuse mne, it's a large alien, flowering vagina :colbert:

My mistake.

ruddiger posted:

Nope. Like I said, my child, he's a man of doubt in a position of authority. He's a brow beaten figure looking for alleviation from his faith, which is why he willingly follows David below into hell the egg nursery.

The devil waits to embrace you with open arms.

Sounds like a moron to me.

For the "Giger's Alien" book everyone is talking about, there seems to be 2 on Amazon I'm assuming it's the one that's 660 pages as opposed to the one that's 70~? They both seem to be $90 or so in hard cover, want to make sure I'm getting the right one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ruddiger posted:

E: I wonder what other Catholics think of this movie. As a man of faith, I adore it with all my heart.

I'm an extremely lapsed Catholic (I've been to Mass a grand total of once in the past decade), and while I thought it was just okay in the moment, reflecting on it has made it one of my favorite movies of the year.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

s.i.r.e. posted:

My mistake.

Sounds like a moron to me.

For the "Giger's Alien" book everyone is talking about, there seems to be 2 on Amazon I'm assuming it's the one that's 660 pages as opposed to the one that's 70~? They both seem to be $90 or so in hard cover, want to make sure I'm getting the right one.

This is the book I've got:
Giger's Alien https://www.amazon.com/dp/0962344702/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_I04jzbMD9HAAT

I got it when it was semi-new and I certainly didn't pay $100 for it. Is it worth $100? I guess it depends on how much you like Giger's artwork and what kind of premium is acceptable to you for an out-of-print book.

It looks like this is the 600 page one you mentioned and I'm honestly not familiar with it:

Alien https://www.amazon.com/dp/3905929457/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_b44jzbK0KN037

$100 for over 600 pages of Giger's diary notes, production photos, and drawings doesn't sound like a totally bad deal when the Alien Covenant art book is $25 and just under 200 pages. I guess it would depend on the ratio of diary notes to photos, and the quality of the reproduced photos/artwork.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Yep that's the one! Large format and beautiful images.

I haven't seen that second one either.

e: I'm watching Alien3 now - the Special Edition is NOT the Assembly Cut right? Little guy just popped out of the bull.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's the right one yes

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Good, good. I think this is the only version I've seen.

Definitely got some 90's cheese but It's alright so far!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Covenant is so, so loving good. The great thing about it is that, whereas Prometheus functioned as a spiritual, 'better than' remake of Alien vs. Predator, this movie functions as a 'better than,' condensed remake of Aliens, Alien 3, and Alien: Resurrection.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

superh posted:

Good, good. I think this is the only version I've seen.

Definitely got some 90's cheese but It's alright so far!

I'll say that it's worth watching both versions; although the Assembly Cut is the stronger movie overall, the theatrical cut has a bunch of alternate scenes that I prefer. My ideal version of Alien3 would be a mix of the two versions.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

K. Waste posted:

Covenant is so, so loving good. The great thing about it is that, whereas Prometheus functioned as a spiritual, 'better than' remake of Alien vs. Predator, this movie functions as a 'better than,' condensed remake of Aliens, Alien 3, and Alien: Resurrection.

How so?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

K. Waste posted:

Covenant is so, so loving good.

:agreed:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

This is a good post.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The dropship sequence, prep, and hopeless optimism (I just need to know one thing "where they are"/"O ye of lil' faith") is reminiscent of Aliens, the fatalistic ending of Alien 3, the playful "Don't let the bed bugs bite" steals the tone from Resurrection.

Ridley's dunking on these hoes.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 26, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you're talking about AvP, the comparisons are almost to the point of plagiarism. It's kinda funny.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

Don't tell me you didn't think for a second that would be the safest option. If you didn't, fine, but the logic was perfectly sound.

"I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability."

Name the movie! The name is ironic in relation to the quality of an alien movie plot.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

"I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability."

Name the movie! The name is ironic in relation to the quality of an alien movie plot.

That Jack Nicholson movie with Helen Hunt!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

If you're talking about AvP, the comparisons are almost to the point of plagiarism. It's kinda funny.

What were the Christ allegories in AvP again?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm an extremely lapsed Catholic (I've been to Mass a grand total of once in the past decade), and while I thought it was just okay in the moment, reflecting on it has made it one of my favorite movies of the year.

:same:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Maybe the next movie, another colonists can be like the focal point of the movie with another religion. Surely Hindu and aliens would go together.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Space Hindis finds a crashed alien spaceship with a decayed alien carcass wearing a human shaped helmet, but it turns out to be Vishnu underneath. :eek:

Then Vishnu rapes them.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

ruddiger posted:

Then Vishnu rapes them.

Hot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

What were the Christ allegories in AvP again?

Story and plot wise they're pretty much the same. Until the midway point where Prometheus branches off.

I guess you can say Scar Predator is Christ or something. Dying for the sins of the Predators and being reborn as a predalien. But that wasn't what I was talking about.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Boy, we are in for some interesting readings ITT when SMG's probe is up, aren't we

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Damon Lindelof posted:

Here’s the thing. Ridley invented this. He created this Alien universe. He birthed it out of his own heart and soul. So he gets to do whatever it is he wants to do and he wanted to use Weyland as a conduit in the story, and was not interested at all when I said to him, “You know, Weyland was a character in one of the Alien Vs. Predator movies,” he just sort of looked at me like I had just slapped him in the face. That was the beginning, middle and end of all Alien Vs. Predator references in our story process.

ruddiger posted:

I am Ridley's empty stare when asked about Aliens canon from AVP.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm not talking about canon. K. Waste is right that Prometheus is a good remake of AvP. They both have a very similar through line running through. Weyland looking for immortality. Both Weylands are dying, and despreate for something to live on past, whether it means being alive forever, or having a lasting legacy.

Also they both have a similar opening. Main characters dig around in ruins. Main characters have a meeting with Weyland briefing them on their mission. Main leads both ask why the need for guns. Heck Milborn and Fifiled are very similar to Miller and Verheiden. It's an odd coincidence.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

K. Waste posted:

So the boring and completely unnecessary fight with the Alien on the Covenant, that's the masterful remake of the iconic Queen vrs Ripley fight? Really? The scene that even people who like the film, are saying should be cut?

Trying to cram all of his remakes into one movie has made it A) poorly paced B) gives poo poo motivations to characters who are trying to ape older scenes

And the movie suffers quite a bit for it

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I'm not talking about canon. K. Waste is right that Prometheus is a good remake of AvP. They both have a very similar through line running through. Weyland looking for immortality. Both Weylands are dying, and despreate for something to live on past, whether it means being alive forever, or having a lasting legacy.

Also they both have a similar opening. Main characters dig around in ruins. Main characters have a meeting with Weyland briefing them on their mission. Main leads both ask why the need for guns. Heck Milborn and Fifiled are very similar to Miller and Verheiden. It's an odd coincidence.

Lance Henriksen plays a better Weyland.

There, I said it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He played a nicer Weyland. Both are interesting though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just like the Covenant novelization "fixed" issues with the movie. :xd:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
The Weyland scene at the start of Covenant was pretty perfect.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He kinda snarls at David, doesn't he?

Guy Pierce is so good in that role.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The looks, too. When David says "May I please ask a question?" and Weyland says sure but the look he's giving him could peel paint off the wall

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

weyland growling out "ambulate" is a good one-word indicator that he is in fact a dick

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I think David deserves respect because he did genetic engineering with charcoal, glowing rocks and flutes.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

It helps that Alien 3 already begins as a 'condensed' version of Aliens - which is to say, it begins with the protagonist of the first film waking up to discover that her family is dead. In Covenant, this narrative is streamlined so that Newt's biological mother and Newt's adoptive mother are the same person.

The explorers arrive on a planet that, explicitly, has already been colonized. There is wheat growing, someone had to plant it. They don't know that, retroactively, wheat is actually an alien organism, and that it only appears on Earth because the space jockeys cultivated it first. Much like in Aliens, the objective of the colony is that it represents the hope for 'new earths,' to 'build better worlds.' Covenant streamlines the events of Aliens so that what happens to the marines and what happens to the colonists occurs simultaneously.

Progressing further, and despite the crediting of the performers as 'neomorphs,' it is revealed that the xenomorphs themselves are 'clones' or the genetically engineered offspring of the originals/neomorphs. David himself assumes the role of the post-Weyland-Yutani military operation which clones Ripley and the alien queen. Again, the narrative is streamlined: Rather than concocting an entirely new organization and military-industrial order, Covenant simply says that Weyland's son (David) made aliens from researching other aliens.

The climax of the film cycles back to Aliens, explicitly referencing both it and Alien with Daniels plan to just isolate the xenomorph and shoot it out of the airlock. The twist that Covenant adds is that, now, the synthetic is actually aligned with the xenomorph against the humans. David/Walter/Bishop now embraces the "perfect organism," as opposed to human beings, who are consumed by "duty" rather than "love."

Unoriginal Name posted:

So the boring and completely unnecessary fight with the Alien on the Covenant, that's the masterful remake of the iconic Queen vrs Ripley fight? Really? The scene that even people who like the film, are saying should be cut?

Trying to cram all of his remakes into one movie has made it A) poorly paced B) gives poo poo motivations to characters who are trying to ape older scenes

And the movie suffers quite a bit for it

Lol, the climax of Aliens was already 'unnecessary.' Ripley already saved her adoptive daughter from the feminine monstrous, and on the Sulaco she does it again, this time in a giant robot suit.

This is the problem one encounters when, instead of straightforwardly discussing the formal elements of the film, you instead beat around the bush and talk about anecdotal feelings. Covenant has the same climax as Aliens, but the conclusion is more interesting and horrific: Bishop betrayed Ripley after all. All that "not bad for a ... h-u-u-u-man" poo poo was just a put-on.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I think David deserves respect because he did genetic engineering with charcoal, glowing rocks and flutes.

Iron Man Covenant

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, that's actually a good question, David kept doing these experiments... how the gently caress exactly? That lab looked extremely low-tech for a genetic engineering lab, and the way black goo creatures breed would seem to preclude low-tech artificial selection.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the cave did have automatic mood lighting so presumably the primitive cave decor was an artful choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, that's actually a good question, David kept doing these experiments... how the gently caress exactly? That lab looked extremely low-tech for a genetic engineering lab, and the way black goo creatures breed would seem to preclude low-tech artificial selection.

Joke answer: David is an artist, man, not a scientist.

Serious answer: David is an artist, man, and a stand-in for H. R. Giger against the pedantic, biological realism of Alien fans. He's also archetypically harkening back to Dr. Morbius from Forbidden Planet.

alf_pogs posted:

the cave did have automatic mood lighting so presumably the primitive cave decor was an artful choice

David learned enough about space jockey technology that he could use mood-lighting in a far-flung attempt to seduce Walter.

This is why this movie is dope as gently caress, and why I feel really bad for cats who get hung up upon 'necessity.'