Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Phanatic posted:

140F for an hour, wrap in prosciutto and pan-sear.

Yep, same time/temp I was going to suggest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Random Hero posted:

Sous vide halibut, asparagus and spinach risotto:

I put butter in with vegetables (though I don't think it does much but pre-sauce it), but I stopped doing that with proteins. I read that fat-soluble ~~flavour compounds~~ moved from meat to butter, making it less flavourful. I haven't done science, though.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Anyone have a good pork tenderloin recipe? I have 2 so I want to do something different on both.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

blarzgh posted:

I needed it done quick (30 minutes, instead of an hour), and I wanted to see how it came out.

Verdict: excellent. better than sending it straight to the grill. It firmed up the meat and made it soft enough to cut through with a butter knife.

but.... you can cook a chicken cutlet... in a pan... in under 5 minutes??

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

5436 posted:

Anyone have a good pork tenderloin recipe? I have 2 so I want to do something different on both.

I made a sauce/wet rub with some Dijon, maple syrup and soy sauce and rubbed it down then tossed in some sprigs of rosemary and thyme. Went for two hours at 145. Came out really nice. Used the bag juice to make a quick pan sauce with a little butter.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

rockcity posted:

I made a sauce/wet rub with some Dijon, maple syrup and soy sauce and rubbed it down then tossed in some sprigs of rosemary and thyme. Went for two hours at 145. Came out really nice. Used the bag juice to make a quick pan sauce with a little butter.

I'm too lazy now to make any thing so I'm just doing shallots, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, finishing with butter in the cast iron with some juices + herbs.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

but.... you can cook a chicken cutlet... in a pan... in under 5 minutes??

I was already going to have charcoal lit for the grill, and the Anova had just finished the flank steak. Timing wise, it worked out to try it in the water, and finish on the grill; why make another pan dirty?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Cutlets are even better on a grill.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

5436 posted:

I just busted up peppercorns, rosemary, and mustard seeds in a molcajete and rubbed them on pork tenderloin. My girlfriend declared it to be entirely, fully acceptable.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
equal parts good mustard and good curry powder makes one of my favorite things to put on pork tenderloin

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Phanatic posted:

140F for an hour, wrap in prosciutto and pan-sear.

This sounds great. :) Thanks!

2 questions:

1) Is this the kind of thing you can make ahead and then refrigerate (say for a night?) and then sear and it's better off for it? (or at least no worse off?)

2) Can I put a slice of good cheese between the prosciutto and chicken? Hmmmmmm?

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

ulmont posted:

The Joule should probably be included as well at some point.

I love my joule...the smart device app-only thing does tend to piss me off when it gets flaky, but when it works it is fantastic.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Spair ribs on sale at the local grocery for 5$. Figured it's worth the experiment in BBQ with SV that I've been doing. Any suggestions before I just dive head on to this.

Rubs, Mops, etc?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

5436 posted:

I've made this twice and it was fool-proof and delicious: http://pinkbrandywine.tumblr.com/post/132042546613/pork-tenderloin-with-rosemary-garlic-maple-glaze

This is just a pic I had of it on my phone, zero plating etc etc:

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 22, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Feenix posted:

This sounds great. :) Thanks!

2 questions:

1) Is this the kind of thing you can make ahead and then refrigerate (say for a night?) and then sear and it's better off for it? (or at least no worse off?)

2) Can I put a slice of good cheese between the prosciutto and chicken? Hmmmmmm?

1) I'd just do the chicken ahead of time and then wrap/sear later. I get BSBs in the family pack from Wegman's, it's 10 of them and they're all already individually vacuum-sealed so I just do a few on Sundays and take them out of the fridge to finish off however during the week.

2) I don't see why not.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Add salt and pepper, 140F for an hour, wrap in prosciutto and pan-sear.
FTFY

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Chicken trip report. I had like breast cutlets or something... I followed Kenji's chicken salad recipe and did 150 for about 1.5h

Maybe they were just too thin or maybe I seared slightly too long because it's stringy. At least the thinner piece
I tried. Oh well... try again another day! :)

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Feenix posted:

Chicken trip report. I had like breast cutlets or something... I followed Kenji's chicken salad recipe and did 150 for about 1.5h

Maybe they were just too thin or maybe I seared slightly too long because it's stringy. At least the thinner piece
I tried. Oh well... try again another day! :)

Yeah, the 150 is really for on-the-bone where it's going to be chilled. His sous vide take on bang bang ji is one of my go-to recipes for breasts. Also, never sous vide something thin enough to wrap anything else in.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah it was all just too think. Totally my bad. Will try again soon.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I tried the chicken breast wrapped in prosciutto at 140 for an hour.

Just to confirm, you cook the chicken, then wrap the cooked chicken in prosciutto and then seat it right?

140 was just a little low for me, but otherwise it was good. However, I get like it needed a sauce. Maybe like a lemon butter sauce or something like a Marsala-any ideas?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Someone needs to make a site called "same temperature as..." so you can see what other common recipes use the same temperature for doubling up on using your water bath...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Feenix posted:

Someone needs to make a site called "same temperature as..." so you can see what other common recipes use the same temperature for doubling up on using your water bath...

I'd buy that app.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

blarzgh posted:

I was already going to have charcoal lit for the grill, and the Anova had just finished the flank steak. Timing wise, it worked out to try it in the water, and finish on the grill; why make another pan dirty?

but.... you can cook... a flank steak.... *and* a chicken cutlet.... on a grill... in less than 5 minutes?

why the gently caress was the anova even involved? I get it for thick cut ribeyes or tenderloin or something where even cooking to a precise temperature is hard(ish), but pounded chicken cutlets and flank steak? literally I think last time I grilled a flank steak it was about a minute and a half per side max. a pounded cutlet is like 45 seconds per side maybe. I feel like you'd lose any sousvide benefit on a hot grill, unless you had icebathed them before throwing them on or something - otherwise you're probably overshooting your sousvide temperature

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I make burgers in my sous vide sometimes. Come at me

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Norns posted:

I make burgers in my sous vide sometimes. Come at me

Gross, soggy buns and hot lettuce.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
How do you do that?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Randyslawterhouse posted:

Gross, soggy buns and hot lettuce.

the buns get their own bags and you dunk the lettuce in liquid nitrogen before serving, dumbass

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I grill my buns souse vide. Put a little liquid smoke in the bag, basically the same as doing it on a grill.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

For funsies, I did burgers 4oz sous vide 130°F for 45 min, finished on screaming hot stainless pan on my grill side burner. I then did 2x 2oz patties ultra-smashed on the same pan.

They were each good separately. I served the SV one to a friend who prefers juiciness, and I at the smashed because I prefer crispiness. Next time I'm putting them all on the same bun for extra complicated deliciousness :getin:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, if you prefer the thick, rare, diner-style burger patty s-v works fine---cook the patty to rare in the water bath, finish on a griddle. I use a cheap-rear end Rival that just barely compresses the ground beef even if you just let it go, but I just watch it and seal as soon as most of the air's gone (same way you do liquids in a non-chamber sealer). If you prefer ultra-thin, charred, fast-food-style burger patties then there's no real advantage to using s-v.

The other what-the-gently caress-ish thing I semi-regularly do with the puddle machine is meat for stir-fry (assuming it's a slab of something I'm going to chop first---not ground meat). It's not at all a traditional (i.e. velveted) presentation, but you get the same advantages of uniform rare+sear that you get out of general protein done s-v.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
You can get that nice smoke ring on a burger bun by adding 150 grams of salt to the bag.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Feenix posted:

You can get that nice smoke ring on a burger bun by adding 150 grams of salt to the bag.

lol

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I like sv burgers deep fried.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I like sv burgers deep fried.

I'm gonna make the modernist cuisine burg one of these days just for the hell of it

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Serious post: how do you gents and lasses get your mason jars not to do the hokey pokey all over the puddle bucket?

Mine is just doing laps and I fear a tip over.

Edit I guess I can't upload animated gifs to imgur.
*shrug*

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 26, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any of you folks ever made the chef steps dot com gummie candy recipe?

I used 3 packets of Knox (which measured the appropriate .74 ounces) and I know what gelatine is made of but man it's cooling now and it smells like wet dog rear end.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Feenix posted:

Serious post: how do you gents and lasses get your mason jars not to do the hokey pokey all over the puddle bucket?

Mine is just doing laps and I fear a tip over.

Edit I guess I can't upload animated gifs to imgur.
*shrug*

If you put a lead weight in the bottom of the jar it should hold it down.

Alternatively some sort or wire rack would hold it in place.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Any of you folks ever made the chef steps dot com gummie candy recipe?

I used 3 packets of Knox (which measured the appropriate .74 ounces) and I know what gelatine is made of but man it's cooling now and it smells like wet dog rear end.

In my experience some batches of gelatine smell beefier than others. Normally can't tell once it's cooled though and there should be enough other flavored in there to cover any residual taste.

I've only ever used it for marshmallows though. I would think gummies would have even more flavor to cover any off tastes/smells.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

In my experience some batches of gelatine smell beefier than others. Normally can't tell once it's cooled though and there should be enough other flavored in there to cover any residual taste.

I've only ever used it for marshmallows though. I would think gummies would have even more flavor to cover any off tastes/smells.

I've used it for panna cotta before and although it smells once bloomed, the recipe never does.

I'm waiting for the candies to chill overnight, but even with orange essence and tartaric acid it was still notable. (It was at like 130F still, though...)

Also this called for 3 packs whereas the panna cotta is only one.

We'll see...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Feenix posted:

llllllllelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll