Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

tithin posted:

Allegedly

You beat my edit! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
David Cameron hosed a dead pig.

e: Allegedly.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Do you think David Cameron's alleged copulation with a putrid porcine carcass affect the vote for Brexit?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Do you think David Cameron's alleged copulation with a putrid porcine carcass affect the vote for Brexit?

I do not believe it has had any effect

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
In today's Patriarchal society, would May pegging a boar have a positive or negative effect on the polls?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

staberind posted:

In today's Patriarchal society, would May pegging a boar have a positive or negative effect on the polls?

I prefer to think she'd rather crush kittens beneath her heels, although "Theresa May pegged a Wild Boar" (allegedly) does have a nice poetry to it.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I see her more as "bite the head off of pigeons" type but indeed.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
never forget

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Prime Minister Jeremy Corbyn

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Kurtofan posted:

would be glorious but not gonna happen

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

Omg, JC, A Bomb!

Quotey posted:

never forget

Guy on the right : nonplussed,
Guy on left : checkiddout

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Prince John posted:

I'm a bit confused about the maths on this one.

How can their manifesto claim a real terms increase, if its a real terms cut of 3% according to the IFS, or is this just an easily falsifiable claim in their manifesto?

Pretty standard political numbers-mangling. Say the budget for a thing is a billion pounds, and inflation is two percent. You have a couple of options:

Raise the budget by 1 percent. Don't mention percentages, say instead "We're putting in an extra 10 million pounds a year!" or even "We're putting in an extra 50 million pounds!" by pledging to raise the budget every year. Those are big numbers and sound very impressive.You can even say "We're spending more money on <thing> than ever before" and it'll probably be true because that's the nature of inflation.

Raise the budget by 2 percent. Use the tricks above and also blithely mention it's going up by inflation. Depending on the exact numbers you can even truthfully say "this is the largest budget increase in the history of <thing>" and make comparisons with how much the other party raised the budget by when they were in power.

Raise the budget by 3 percent. Then you can say "We're raising the budget by 10 million pounds a year in real terms!" and it's actually accurate if the real terms are "inflation". However if the usage of the thing is going up by 4% or you're actually asking the thing to do more things with that money by cutting elsewhere, the actual budget is dropping by 1% and when the thing begins to fail you can make stern speeches about how the public sector is inefficient and you need to hand it over to the private sector.

All of these scenarios should sound plenty familiar after the last 7 years.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
@Bye Felicia.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Woke up this morning and checked the main BBC headline. I'm pleased that Corbyn is highlighting cuts on police and A&E, but I'm not sure it's the best time to be proposing a change in foreign policy, and nuances. The nuance could be lost and he could come off looking as weak on an area he is already seen as weak on.

I agree with him on fewer wars abroad etc., but his timing and messaging on this could be better - he needs to play to his strengths in the time remaining.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Milotic posted:

Woke up this morning and checked the main BBC headline. I'm pleased that Corbyn is highlighting cuts on police and A&E, but I'm not sure it's the best time to be proposing a change in foreign policy, and nuances. The nuance could be lost and he could come off looking as weak on an area he is already seen as weak on.

I agree with him on fewer wars abroad etc., but his timing and messaging on this could be better - he needs to play to his strengths in the time remaining.

Yeah, play up the bits people are actually interested in, save the nuance for when you're in power.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Tbf they should just start playing that teresa may interview for 5 minute as a party political broadcast.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FClwh6hmRTE

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
With the speech Corbyn is meant to be making today I think we will see the gain in the polls melting away.

The speech overall reads fine but this section is going to go down like a lead balloon.

"That assessment in no way reduces the guilt of those who attack our children. Those terrorists will forever be reviled and held to account for their actions.

But an informed understanding of the causes of terrorism is an essential part of an effective response that will protect the security of our people that fights rather than fuels terrorism.

We must be brave enough to admit the ‘war on terror’ is simply not working. We need a smarter way to reduce the threat from countries that nurture terrorists and generate terrorism."

The British public do not seem open to taking a nuanced position on terrorism at the moment.

Labour should have just let UKIP jump up and down about police cuts, whilst pointing at their own policy to increase police numbers by 10,000.

deletebeepbeepbeep fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 26, 2017

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I think a lot of commentators will say that 'This is bad for Corbyn' but the public actually dislike sending troops into conflicts without clear aims or goals, and the media have effectively masked our role in current ME conflicts. If Labour hammer home 'why the gently caress are we at war with Yemen and why won't Theresa May tell you about it? it'll poll well.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe mention that the tory's still hate kids since thatcher, first school milk, now school dinners, as y'know, nourishment is not so important for poors.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Let the tories keep shooting themselves in the foot, and may their more overt racists find a more suitable political demagogue within ukip.

Hope is a lie, but also right now (within strictly defined boundaries, mind) pessimism and despair are taking a significant kicking.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Corbyn's speech focusing on anything but the police cuts is an extremely risky strategy, but at least The Sun's headline seems to be "Jeremy Corbyn sparks outrage by claiming Britain’s war on terror is to blame for Manchester Arena terror attack", which I think could read better among the UK public than they think.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

People are jaded as gently caress by the 'war on terror' since it clearly isn't working, so it'll be interesting to see how they respond. Obviously the swivel-eyed crowd aren't going to accept anything except turning the middle east to glass, so some amount of outrage is unavoidable.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

corbyn should do a speech where he just lists all of the times he's been proven right on interventions imo

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...e-a7756421.html

Hope is a lie.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Milotic posted:

We all know that regardless of this attack in Manchester that this change of foreign policy direction would happen if Corbyn & Labour win right?

Nah, maybe it's not great politics but gently caress, it needs to be said even if people refuse to hear. Our foreign policy for centuries has consequences! Somehow this is a controversial statement?

PS even with the lead closing over the past week of polls, Labour are still a long way short of actually winning this so let's not kid ourselves. Until potential Tory voters start falling away it's going to be a huge struggle even with Labour gaining a bigger percentage than they got in 2005.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
So you reckon Corbyn will still be made to resign even if he gains seats?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

what's the track record on the labour right getting corbyn to resign?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

forkboy84 posted:

We all know that regardless of this attack in Manchester that this change of foreign policy direction would happen if Corbyn & Labour win right?

Nah, maybe it's not great politics but gently caress, it needs to be said even if people refuse to hear. Our foreign policy for centuries has consequences! Somehow this is a controversial statement?

PS even with the lead closing over the past week of polls, Labour are still a long way short of actually winning this so let's not kid ourselves. Until potential Tory voters start falling away it's going to be a huge struggle even with Labour gaining a bigger percentage than they got in 2005.

I'm expecting a Tory majority, but I don't want it to be a large one, and I have an interest in Corbyn staying on so as to continue to present a left wing opposition. I agree with deletebeepbeepbeep - now is not the time for nuance.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Aint no one can make Corbyn resign, and they aint got no one who can legitimately challenge him for leadership

I don't believe he'll ever stand down.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

labour will be fine with whatever they say in the speech because they're setting and controlling the narrative in this election.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I reckon the odds are good that parts of the PLP will try to make corbyn resign if he loving wins it

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Milotic posted:

This. Please please please don't gently caress it up again now JC.

Total Meatlove posted:

I think a lot of commentators will say that 'This is bad for Corbyn' but the public actually dislike sending troops into conflicts without clear aims or goals, and the media have effectively masked our role in current ME conflicts. If Labour hammer home 'why the gently caress are we at war with Yemen and why won't Theresa May tell you about it? it'll poll well.
If Labour were actually hammering home that then it might help.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

staberind posted:

@Bye Felicia.

flip cloth diapers

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

:toot:
https://twitter.com/LBC/status/868028943659524096

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

DesperateDan posted:

I reckon the odds are good that parts of the PLP will try to make corbyn resign if he loving wins it

Well yeah, it's constantly shifting. When it looked like Labour would get a hiding, they say he should go if he leads Labour to a massive loss. When it looked like they'll exceed the vote share of the last election, that isn't a yardstick and Labour should be aiming to improve on that. Now it looks like Labour will improve on that the issue will suddenly become that Labour should be winning most seats and if that seems likely that they should be winning a majority and if that ever seems likely that they should be winning a large one. Nothing will ever be good enough to shut up the Labour right.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Excellent.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

What prompted this? The "final solution" tweet?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

With the speech Corbyn is meant to be making today I think we will see the gain in the polls melting away.

The speech overall reads fine but this section is going to go down like a lead balloon.

"That assessment in no way reduces the guilt of those who attack our children. Those terrorists will forever be reviled and held to account for their actions.

But an informed understanding of the causes of terrorism is an essential part of an effective response that will protect the security of our people that fights rather than fuels terrorism.

We must be brave enough to admit the ‘war on terror’ is simply not working. We need a smarter way to reduce the threat from countries that nurture terrorists and generate terrorism."

The British public do not seem open to taking a nuanced position on terrorism at the moment.

Labour should have just let UKIP jump up and down about police cuts, whilst pointing at their own policy to increase police numbers by 10,000.

No they shouldn't. There are still behind and probably by a distance. They need to take risks.

Time will tell re. the line above but I don't think the UK public has any particular love for the war on terror. The first two things that come to mind when I hear that phrase are Blair and America. No-one wants to be associated with either at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

:toot:

Friday is starting well.

• Locked thread