Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

bike tory posted:

So how about that budget? Big tax cuts for everyone, no solutions to systemic problems.
Labour are trying to build four times as many houses we are on less money lol! That's somehow a burn on them and not on the fact we're garbage at spending and don't know how much houses are worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Sure am looking forward to the extra $20 a week or whatever it is I will be getting (in April of next year - lol) that I obviously so desperately need instead of investing that back into our infrastructure.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I have since been informed that I'll have an extra $32 a week, not $20. I retract my previous snarky tone and am now looking forward to the massive house in Auckland I will now be able to afford.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
That extra $5.12 a week is gonna go a long way. If I save for a month, and I can afford avocado on toast.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I have since been informed that I'll have an extra $32 a week, not $20. I retract my previous snarky tone and am now looking forward to the massive house in Auckland I will now be able to afford.

How much avocado on toast is that? Just so it is units I can understand.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Depends on how good the cafe is, or if you go diy.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

It's an incredibly unimpressive budget with very little to say about it beyond that it is clearly an election year budget.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That tax cut is going to get both me and the Mrs our own avocado toasts. Just to think, an avocado toast EACH.

This covers it pretty nicely I think:

quote:

While polling suggests tax cuts were not a high priority, in reality they matter a great deal in voting behaviour. Delivering the tax cuts in an election year makes perfect political sense.

Other areas of spending were largely catch-up spending. Spending in recent years in many government services were capped, but population and cost pressures continued to build. This has shown up in lots of different areas, including in health, mental health, emergency housing and social housing. This catch-up is very welcome, but they should not have been cut in the first place.

Increases in infrastructure spending is welcome, but we need to do a lot more.

The government is weirdly obsessed about not borrowing, even when borrowing costs are at historic lows and we need to increase infrastructure spending by around half again to close our infrastructure deficit in the next decade.

The spending on infrastructure remains myopically focused on roads, but rail is getting some more funding.

There are hints of using public-private-partnerships (PPPs) to build infrastructure. Seeing the dismal experience of PPPs in Australia, I would much prefer the government to borrow to fund infrastructure spending.

There were two big misses: housing and the social investment approach.

There was more money for the accommodation supplement and emergency housing. Both bottom of cliff stuff. There is no material and aspirational investment in significantly boosting housing supply.

While the government has talked a lot about its social investment approach, it has allocated more money to building prisons, and subsidies for film-makers than its social investment approach package.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/2...ews+Budget+2017

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Feel like we're finally seeing the effects of first-term policies

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

bike tory posted:

That tax cut is going to get both me and the Mrs our own avocado toasts. Just to think, an avocado toast EACH.

This covers it pretty nicely I think:

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/2...ews+Budget+2017

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/25-05-2017/the-rope-a-dope-budget-ben-thomas-reviews-budget-2017/

Why look at a somewhat balanced view of the budget, when Ben has a totally one-sided one?

I know you read these forums occasionally, Ben. I am going to hit you with a choke slam next time I see you. (Not even really related to the article - I just think you're due one).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Does he not realise that "social investment" is just a buzzword for using metrics previously protected under privacy laws to throw people off welfare?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
The social investment approach could be great, but with the Nats it's just going to used to do ultra-means testing

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

"social investment" is also a way of talking about new forms of state welfare that doesn't cause right wingers to have a heart attack

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11863232

Average family: 'You get quite despondent even reading Budgets' posted:

Kelly and Wayne Slattery, who pay $650 a week to rent a four-bedroom home in Botany, live on Wayne's base income of $92,000 a year plus bonuses - slightly above the median Auckland household income of $87,500.

quote:

The Slatterys will get a $20-a-week tax cut because of higher income thresholds for the two lowest tax brackets. But Wayne Slattery, who is in the top 33 per cent tax bracket, is unimpressed.

"When you get up to what I'm earning, it doesn't really give me anything, to be honest," he said.

"To me, a tax cut is the Government actually cutting tax, not saying we're going to give you a subsidy. It's actually saying you shouldn't be paying 33c in the dollar [income tax] plus 15c [GST] on just about everything you purchase. You are really paying half your income, 48 per cent, in tax.

Didn't know that we actually don't have tax brackets and that if you earn over 60k you suddenly have 33% tax on all your income. Thanks herald! Thanks average NZ family (who earns above the average auckland wage plus bonuses)!

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Breaking news: Well above median income NZ family are morons

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You can tell they're an average family because their single-earner brings in more than double-income homes.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

There should be a law that in order to get an income in a higher tax bracket you need to demonstrate you understand how tax brackets work.
Also any journalist who writes about taxation and doesn't show an understanding of tax brackets is exiled to the Auckland Islands.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Also $650/week for a four bedroom? Dude should consider himself lucky, that would barely get you a three bedroom in Wellington these days.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

$20 will get you a top quality smashed avocado on toast, so I don't know why he's bitching that he can now afford to own a home.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
ahah I was just going to post that stupid gently caress from the herald

"When you get up to what I'm earning, it doesn't really give me anything, to be honest," he said.

get hosed dude, your wife is in education and you probably hear every day about how some of the kids are coming in hungry and you still bitch over $20 a week

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Jeff Sichoe posted:

get hosed dude, your wife is in education and you probably hear every day about how some of the kids are coming in hungry and you still bitch over $20 a week

She is a board of trustees chair in howick, 100% Nat voter who couldn't actually give a poo poo about hungry kids.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Jeff Sichoe posted:

"When you get up to what I'm earning, it doesn't really give me anything, to be honest," he said

The best part about it all is that the dude is loving poor - he is just too dumb to realise it. He's not even on 6 figures, the loving dolt.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Yup, that income in Auckland and you might as well be on the fuckken benny

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

megalodong posted:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11863232

Didn't know that we actually don't have tax brackets and that if you earn over 60k you suddenly have 33% tax on all your income. Thanks herald! Thanks average NZ family (who earns above the average auckland wage plus bonuses)!

That's some top notch maths right there too.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Varkk posted:

There should be a law that in order to get an income in a higher tax bracket you need to demonstrate you understand how tax brackets work.
Also any journalist who writes about taxation and doesn't show an understanding of tax brackets is exiled to the Auckland Islands.

I read this as Exiled to Auckland, and thought that seemed it way too harsh.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

redleader posted:

That's some top notch maths right there too.

Then you see the byline...

The Nuzillund Harold posted:

Simon Collins is the Herald’s education reporter.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

http://i.imgur.com/11Ley.gif

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I'm happy with my extra $60-something a fortnight finally my family will be able to afford booze

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/winstonpeters/status/868221872537649152
https://i.imgur.com/PgU8gkR.png

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Truly the racist grandfather of NZ politics. But the abusive alcoholic kind, not the lovable bumbling kind.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Our very own Ed Balls.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

love too be economically credible

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Finally putting the Right's narrative of them being bad at the economy to some political use.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

exmarx posted:

love too be economically credible

I can't spend the 10 seconds required to correct your misleading Greens shitposts if there's no way to tell where it's even sourced from.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Greens are supporting the budget, Labour are not. It was news a few days ago, just google it

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.maoritelevision.com/news/regional/greens-and-nz-first-oppose-budget

They aren't supporting the budget. They supported the low income tax threshhold bit specifically on the basis that a can of corn is better than nothing(and optics for low info voters)and Stuff et al blew it up into an opposition in shambles story that you guys bit on immediately.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I never took it as "opposition in shambles", I was disappointed that the greens are backing a regressive change to our tax brackets. I didn't realise they could back bits of the budget but not the whole thing though - I thought it was presented as a single bill?

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

I never took it as "opposition in shambles", I was disappointed that the greens are backing a regressive change to our tax brackets. I didn't realise they could back bits of the budget but not the whole thing though - I thought it was presented as a single bill?

Pretty sure it's split into about 10 parts, Vote Health, Vote Education etc.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

And then aren't there seperate bills introduced later to implement specific parts as well?
E.g the budget allocated the funds but then a later bill creates the legislation to actually do the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/metiria/status/868591823475793921

• Locked thread