Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Empire's Free Company Militia are loving amazing. They're not much worse than swordsmen in melee but also are faster and have ranged attacks. They're amazing early game as skirmishers and ambush units.

Late game I find them pretty hilarious vs Norsca also. Chariots aside basically everything in the Norse roster either gets quickly shot to pieces and/or loses in melee to a big old stack of Free Company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Yeah, I'm completely stumped. I have no idea what I'm missing.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

god loving drat it norsca is such bullshit

edit: I had a turn 80 chaos invasion, earliest I ever seen, and sure enough skaelings with 2 full stacks of chaos chariots to annoy the gently caress outta me

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 26, 2017

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
reminder that the counter to chariots is horsies

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

No, it's auto resolve.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Plus norsca nerf mod

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah i prefer to nerf Norsca into "nuisance" level and buff Warriors of Chaos AI into truly doom levels of danger.

Feels more appropriate.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ASININE MORTAL

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

dead comedy forums posted:

edit: I had a turn 80 chaos invasion, earliest I ever seen, and sure enough skaelings with 2 full stacks of chaos chariots to annoy the gently caress outta me

Ever endgame i see the 3 chaos stacks and I think "doable but scary"
Then i see the four norsca stacks behind them.
gently caress, let the vamps/empire deal with that.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
I don't know what it is about Free Company for me but christ they level so much faster than other units, autoresolve or otherwise. I'm always chasing vet on my 250+ kill per fight Reiksguard and some random free company I plopped down are already Gold Rank (vet 7) when my starting Franz Reiks are finally hitting vet 4, despite not really being outstanding in combat and being purchased some number of turns later. What's with the experience weighting in this game?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I switched from greenskins to vampire counts and this was much easier

I now have two armies of those flying monsters and the only tactic i need anymore is "send them at the enemy until the enemy gets too scared to fight". If they got a ton of hard dudes i'll just summon some zombies to act as meatshields while my flying monsters swoop down and do their thing

It's actually even getting a bit boring

I might switch to bretonnia, are they any fun?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

dead comedy forums posted:

My last beastmen campaign was one of the stranger ones I've played because for some reason the vargs and skaelings just decided to chill out at home and didn't really attack anybody instead leaving me and the WoC to do all the heavy lifting.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Fartbox posted:

I now have two armies of those flying monsters and the only tactic i need anymore is "send them at the enemy until the enemy gets too scared to fight". If they got a ton of hard dudes i'll just summon some zombies to act as meatshields while my flying monsters swoop down and do their thing

If you do a Bret campaign, you should know ahead of time that you're really not meant to fight other Bretonnians. Foreigners and vampires are fair game, but otherwise you're expected to expand by confederation. Also, there's an event on turn 2 that screws your public order for a while, it's scripted and unavoidable, don't freak out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fartbox posted:

They are very fun imo

Probably the most well-done of the current factions, not surprising since they're the newest.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fartbox posted:

I'm also pretty new to the game here are my takeaways for the five non-DLC factions:

Dwarves have heavily armored infantry and great artillery but they're slow as poo poo and have no cavalry. Expensive and smaller but high-quality units. They're also not really into magic.
Empire is well-rounded with a focus on artillery (even better than dwarves?) and cavalry, but they have a moderately difficult starting position.
Vampires have tons of chaff backed by strong flying, monster, and cavalry units. Zero ranged, they're pure melee.
Greenskins are also well-rounded with a focus on offense, they're a bit squishy. Also a tricky starting position.
Bretonnia is all about the cavalry, baby. I haven't played them as much but their infantry feels flimsy, artillery is alright though.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

I'm also pretty new to the game here are my takeaways for the five non-DLC factions:

Bretonnia is all about the cavalry, baby. I haven't played them as much but their infantry feels flimsy, artillery is alright though.

With the Brets you can actually research stuff to make your basic cheapo peasants hit harder and have better leadership. Combine that with Blessing of the Lady and the buffs from high Chivalry and they turn into... acceptable tarpits, and they're cheaper to recruit than they are to maintain. Their archers (especially the fire and disease ones) can be pretty drat OP too.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Also if you feel like Vampire Counts are too easy, are you fighting the dwarves yet? Because you have zero armor piercing options until tier 3 buildings and they will gently caress you hard.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Don't need armor piercing when I'm so spooky their entire army just runs away

But yeah i already got high tier units. I just assaulted a castle with an all flying army of terrorgheists and those other flying -gheists + bats. I just flew over the walls and ate everyone inside while Isabella spammed zombies everywhere to slow down their soldiers until the SPOOK FACTOR routed all of them :frogbon:

There were so many flying monsters on my screen I could barely see what was goin on

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Fartbox posted:

Don't need armor piercing when I'm so spooky their entire army just runs away

But yeah i already got high tier units. I just assaulted a castle with an all flying army of terrorgheists and those other flying -gheists + bats. I just flew over the walls and ate everyone inside while Isabella spammed zombies everywhere to slow down their soldiers until the SPOOK FACTOR routed all of them :frogbon:

There were so many flying monsters on my screen I could barely see what was goin on

Are you playing on easy?

Try a Vargulf, those are pretty fun to watch.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
I'm really enjoying Steel Faith. It is a lot of fun particularly because you get a ton more winds of magic to play with and improves a lot of buildings. Settlements are now mini fortresses but the catch is that the towers don't have unlimited range anymore.

There are lots of changes to units but it's hard for me to tell exactly what (be nice to have a specific breakdown of the changes compared to stock). The goal seems to be to make all the units in your roster relevent, so even late game those chaff units have utility (having a units utility be 'they're cheap' becomes irrelevant late game when you're swimming in money).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Holy poo poo, the Legendary Lords Remastered mod's solution to Kemmler being a sad garbage fire is so simple that it's brilliant. Aside from the various campaign level tweaks, in combat they made him start with *every* Raise Dead spell; the default one, Helman Ghorst's Grave Guard/Wight King one, and the Strigoi Ghoul-King's Crypt Ghouls/Crypt Horrors one. He's still a piss weak baby who dies to anything that touches him, but he can pull so many dirty tricks with all the various undead units he's allowed to raise and given enough time and winds he can basically conjure an additional stack out of the ground if he's allowed to. It's an amazingly fun and thematic way to make him relevant and powerful while making playing him feel really different from playing a normal vampire lord.

The fuckin Lichemaster!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Kemmler's appearance makes me imagine there's these Necromancer Amish sect living in Sylvania that raises zombies to perform tedious tasks like barn raising or making the seasons fruit preserves. :kimchi:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Panfilo posted:

Kemmler's appearance makes me imagine there's these Necromancer Amish sect living in Sylvania that raises zombies to perform tedious tasks like barn raising or making the seasons fruit preserves. :kimchi:

I'm pretty sure this is canon.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
So how are you supposed to play the beastmen in the grand campaign? The lack of a stable income from cities is really throwing me off. I can snipe some poorly defended towns and get some cash no problem. But at some point my horde will get hunted down by an AI army I can't avoid and after I win that fight I just get into a catch22 situation where I need to sack cities in order to get money to rebuild my horde, which I can't do because my horde is too weak. Every attempt at a Beastmen campaign just ended in a downward spiral I couldn't get out of.
I guess CA's intent was for the Beastmen to abuse their default stance and lure armies to ambushes, but that seem doesn't work because AI blatantly cheats and always knows exactly where you at all times.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Raygereio posted:

So how are you supposed to play the beastmen in the grand campaign? The lack of a stable income from cities is really throwing me off. I can snipe some poorly defended towns and get some cash no problem. But at some point my horde will get hunted down by an AI army I can't avoid and after I win that fight I just get into a catch22 situation where I need to sack cities in order to get money to rebuild my horde, which I can't do because my horde is too weak. Every attempt at a Beastmen campaign just ended in a downward spiral I couldn't get out of.
I guess CA's intent was for the Beastmen to abuse their default stance and lure armies to ambushes, but that seem doesn't work because AI blatantly cheats and always knows exactly where you at all times.

they don't

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Well for some reason my Mod decided to poo poo the bed and break every part of it. Which means I'm starting trying to do custom abilities from the beginning again.

I should, SHOULD, have everything here to make the ability, assign it to Franz and lock it properly

Course, I have no idea.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Raygereio posted:

They really don't. The AI has no ability to follow hidden stances unless it has a garrison, agent or army nearby. Do note that Beast-Paths do not count as a hidden stance.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Panfilo posted:

I'm really enjoying Steel Faith. It is a lot of fun particularly because you get a ton more winds of magic to play with and improves a lot of buildings. Settlements are now mini fortresses but the catch is that the towers don't have unlimited range anymore.

There are lots of changes to units but it's hard for me to tell exactly what (be nice to have a specific breakdown of the changes compared to stock). The goal seems to be to make all the units in your roster relevent, so even late game those chaff units have utility (having a units utility be 'they're cheap' becomes irrelevant late game when you're swimming in money).

Just quoting to say everyone should try out Steel Faith. I'm not an authority but overall it seems a lot more fun and well-made than the usual Total War overhaul. It still plays like the base game, just better. Way better than your radious or lorehammer or europa barbarorum.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
If they don't, then they sure act like they do. I've had armies and agents walk up to my hordes while they're hidden and patiently wait one or two turns until the RNG decides my horde is revealed. :shrug:

Regardless, what are people's starting moves for the Beastmen campaign?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Steel Faith is real good but it can be extremely difficult on higher levels. A lot of the Empire factions get wiped out really fast. On VH or Legendary it routinely takes me 20-30 turns to consolidate Reikland because of how stacked garrisons are. Vampire factions are also a lot harder to deal with since vampires themselves are buffed, their units are larger, and I think cheaper too. It's not uncommon to have a single vampire faction invade your territory with 5-7 full stacks of troops. If you're at war with more than one vampire faction at the same time, good loving luck.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Raygereio posted:

To start a new game as dwarves

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Avoid any and all armies and capitals until you at least get Minotaurs, but even then, avoiding capitals is a good plan. Hop around sacking undefended cities and make sure you encamp in the woods to improve your ambush chances, because they definitely do NOT know where you are. You can bait garrisoned armies out easily by simply hiding and then sacking the city behind them when they leave it, or smashing armies in open field ambush battles and roaming wild through their lands while they rebuild. If you have to flee enemy armies, head for areas you know that have terrain that will let you use the Beastpaths to buy yourself some breathing room to replenish. Your moon events are absurdly powerful, too. Running no-replenish +growth as much as possible until you're on your last legs then going for the full replenish/no growth option gets you into a massive boom/bust cycle and changes what you do on the campaign map. Definitely pay attention to the moon phases, because they can turn a limping battered horde into a juggernaut in a turn and if you plan ahead for it, a pyrrhic victory can easily be a huge win in your book, while some of the +melee skills will let you absolutely smash armies you should have no business defeating.

Also, don't clear out areas. If you've got a huge burned out swathe of land behind you, you don't have anywhere to go if you get in trouble, but weakened defeated countries will give you someone weak to beat up on when you need some more sweet cash. Overgrazing is a good way to starve: you want your enemies to be able to resettle behind you.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In my wood elf campaign I am finally about to wrap things up. Highlight of the game was marching my growing armies east to get ready to face chaos and after a bloody 3 on 2 stack battle against Archon the game was basically over. Of course the fucker was still alive but then I chased him up north and got to enjoy watching Danuu, a Dragon and a Treeman team up to beat him into a bloody pulp. There really is something fun about moving Wood Elf armies through devastated lands as the moment an outpost goes up then attrition from battle just stops mattering anymore.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Raygereio posted:

If they don't, then they sure act like they do. I've had armies and agents walk up to my hordes while they're hidden and patiently wait one or two turns until the RNG decides my horde is revealed. :shrug:

Depends on your starting lord. I usually recommend merging your hordes and deleting the second one because you won't have enough upkeep to maintain both in the early game while maintaining Bray-Herd creation levels (17+ units). Pick Gorebull with the event that gives you a hero and the go for Minotaurs, unless you are Morghur, in which case beeline for Chaos Spawns and then create your second horde earlier than usual because your main army will be practically free. My general advice is to create a second horde when you have at least 20K in the bank and enough inertia to keep the sacks coming.

Khazrak should kill Estalia and then either go through the sea and land North of Carcassone (you don't want to get close to Athel Loren until you have two or three hordes) or through the Border Princes and begin to kill the Empire. As Morghur you should destroy Middenland and move to try to snipe the Empire while it is still coping with the Secessionists. If you wait for the moon event you can time your assaults or big battles to when you get to pick your bonuses, you can win some ridiculous sieges if you take the one that gives your whole army +melee attack in exchange for campaign speed, and you can recover very quickly from battles with the one that exchanges growth for recovery.

In any way, your focus should be to kill the main Bretonnian and Empire factions in the craddle to prevent confederations, then you can pick and choose your targets. The Chaos Hordes that spawn in the mid-game will be allied with you, so you can count on them and Norsca to burn down the whole map. Time is on your side, so pick fights at your convenience.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Depends on your starting lord. I usually recommend merging your hordes and deleting the second one because you won't have enough upkeep to maintain both in the early game while maintaining Bray-Herd creation levels (17+ units). Pick Gorebull with the event that gives you a hero and the go for Minotaurs, unless you are Morghur, in which case beeline for Chaos Spawns and then create your second horde earlier than usual because your main army will be practically free. My general advice is to create a second horde when you have at least 20K in the bank and enough inertia to keep the sacks coming.

Khazrak should kill Estalia and then either go through the sea and land North of Carcassone (you don't want to get close to Athel Loren until you have two or three hordes) or through the Border Princes and begin to kill the Empire. As Morghur you should destroy Middenland and move to try to snipe the Empire while it is still coping with the Secessionists. If you wait for the moon event you can time your assaults or big battles to when you get to pick your bonuses, you can win some ridiculous sieges if you take the one that gives your whole army +melee attack in exchange for campaign speed, and you can recover very quickly from battles with the one that exchanges growth for recovery.

In any way, your focus should be to kill the main Bretonnian and Empire factions in the craddle to prevent confederations, then you can pick and choose your targets. The Chaos Hordes that spawn in the mid-game will be allied with you, so you can count on them and Norsca to burn down the whole map. Time is on your side, so pick fights at your convenience.
The only thing I'd change is to not destroy the second horde. Leave it with a single card of some cheap fast units so that if the Lord gets assassinated you don't lose the horde, but deleting it basically robs you of free growth if you prioritize the +growth/-replenishment events, plus the lost growth for horde creating. Have it just shadow your main horde so the lord can soak experience and passively grow. If you push for +growth effects, you can replace him with an LL when they become available and your LL will step into commanding a pretty large horde and your original secondary lord can go on to kickstart a third horde.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Just quoting to say everyone should try out Steel Faith. I'm not an authority but overall it seems a lot more fun and well-made than the usual Total War overhaul. It still plays like the base game, just better. Way better than your radious or lorehammer or europa barbarorum.

It's probably the best Major Overhaul mod, and I do use it, but there are a few things I don't like about it. I'm a big fan of the "Infinite range towers" thing, and Steel Faith removes that. I also don't like how many things get Charge Defense vs All now. Makes charges feel less cool

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Is there a website that breaks down all the changes it makes to units?I'm playing empire with it right now but can't tell how much different units are.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Beastmen are best played as a nuisance rather than as a 'real' faction. Are you ending your turns in the encampment stance? The normal movement stance gives you a chance to ambush somebody you attack, but it does not hide you at all. The moment you see some doom stack(s) headed your way you should just move elsewhere (75% move + encamp). Wait until two factions are at war and hit them at home when their armies are away. Keep in the back of your mind that other factions can accomplish your goals for you (greenskins, warriors of chaos, norscans, wood elves, estalia, border princes, etc)

Also, one thing I did in my last campaign was take the 'minus whatever turns siege and + attrition' blue line on my secondary general and then use him to siege walled cities with my main army in support. With the overall '-2 turns for sieges' tech you can attrition out a lot of walled cities pretty fast which is especially handy for fighting dwarfs since they get pretty powerful garrison troops.

The only thing I really hate about the beastmen is the long campaign objective of sacking 50 different cities. It takes forever, and it's easy to get locked out of it if the warriors of chaos are too effective (and/or the computer AI refuses to re-settle ruins). I think sacking 50 cities (total) would probably be a decent objective.

You can basically win the beastman campaign with just a mediocre army and a lot of time as long as the other factions don't destroy every city before you reach your 'cities sacked' goal. I like to spend a lot of time building up my horde and feeding on weak armies and towns before splurging for the -upkeep buildings once I have my base building requirements handled (full gor/ungor line, full mino line, bray shaman / cygor building, +armor buff buildings).

e: also like the other poster said gorebulls are insanely powerful so pick one of them. Massive buffs and excellent fighters make them one of the best heroes in the game. Every beastman lord gets insane buffs as well which really make them a strength (+20% weapons strength for the whole army? crazy). I tended to get assassinated a lot so it's nice switching to 2 LL led hordes when you get the chance since LLs can never be permanently killed even on critical assassination success.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 26, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

GoLambo posted:

I don't know what it is about Free Company for me but christ they level so much faster than other units, autoresolve or otherwise. I'm always chasing vet on my 250+ kill per fight Reiksguard and some random free company I plopped down are already Gold Rank (vet 7) when my starting Franz Reiks are finally hitting vet 4, despite not really being outstanding in combat and being purchased some number of turns later. What's with the experience weighting in this game?

IIRC Total War hands out XP based on price differentials of kills, so a cheaper unit will gain XP faster than a more expensive one if they're both killing midrange units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

StashAugustine posted:

IIRC Total War hands out XP based on price differentials of kills, so a cheaper unit will gain XP faster than a more expensive one if they're both killing midrange units.

Yep. If you start as Karl you can get your starting handgunners to gold chevrons in the first few turns by having them snipe commanders when you fight secessionists and do the quest battle.

• Locked thread