Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And also there were YoRHa elements that could piece together that humanity was no longer there based on say shipping logs showing that most of the freight was empty, for example. It was easier to wipe the board clean than to hope the E-types would never turn, considering how 2B and A2 turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Whooo boy. That start of route C is uh... is something. After Nier I went in fully expecting this game to punch me in the balls at some point but after the first two endings I was starting to think Yoko Taro was going soft.

Quick question: A2's dash move ends with that little red burst of light. I was curious and looked it up and apparently that's a damage boost. Does the boost take effect as soon as the dash ends, or do I have to attack as the light is flashing?

Also auto-use item doesn't work when you're in berserk mode. I was really hoping I'd be able to fully stock up on healing supplies and then just charge through the entire route in berserk mode, constantly draining and healing hp :(.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Whooo boy. That start of route C is uh... is something. After Nier I went in fully expecting this game to punch me in the balls at some point but after the first two endings I was starting to think Yoko Taro was going soft.

Quick question: A2's dash move ends with that little red burst of light. I was curious and looked it up and apparently that's a damage boost. Does the boost take effect as soon as the dash ends, or do I have to attack as the light is flashing?

Also auto-use item doesn't work when you're in berserk mode. I was really hoping I'd be able to fully stock up on healing supplies and then just charge through the entire route in berserk mode, constantly draining and healing hp :(.

What you want is the health restore on killing and/or dealing damage. If you get a good chip, you can keep going forever.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, I figure that that one S unit you gather the chips for for that one dude is probably one of those S units that is starting to figure things out, and was exterminated because the obvious.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Hunt11 posted:

So why exactly was YoHRa designed to self destruct? As in why was the idea of an eternal war so appealing to those who created the organization.

No.9, the guy who put in the backdoor program, was pretty insane in the cyberbrain. The original creator of YoRHa just wanted an iconic group of elite warriors to represent the newly installed Council of Humanity

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Well, in case this helps anyone else since no one weighed in on if the freezing problem was just me or not, it looks like after a couple more freezes in the second recovery unit , which does not have saves in it and a slew of hacking to do which really was tiresome doing them four more times then I had to, I changed to windowed mode and I haven't froze again.

The freeze is weird because the screen freezes but I can tell that the game is still running behind it. If I COULD save, I could have navigated to the save menu by sound alone but of course they don't let you save. After googling a whole bunch of people had the problem but the strange part is that this hasn't happened to me at all yet and 40 hours in, only in this location, I started having the problem. I wish I could play full screen since it is on my tv but I can deal with windowed mode if it means I can just finish the game and be done with it and not have to repeat any more content.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This is my first Yoko Taro game. After finishing the first two endings I was really enjoying the game and started looking up Yoko Taro stuff because he seemed like a delight. Now that I've played more of the game I would just like to know what I ever did to this man that he would find it acceptable to hurt me like this?

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Viridiant posted:

This is my first Yoko Taro game. After finishing the first two endings I was really enjoying the game and started looking up Yoko Taro stuff because he seemed like a delight. Now that I've played more of the game I would just like to know what I ever did to this man that he would find it acceptable to hurt me like this?

There's a very infamous description of a childhood event that explains... an awful lot about Yoko Taro's worldview.

When he was a kid, he watched one of his best friends slip off a building roof and die, going out with a comically prominent erection.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
I beat the level 99 Flooded City DLC arena challenge.

gently caress.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

rear end-Haggis posted:

I beat the level 99 Flooded City DLC arena challenge.

gently caress.
I haven't done ending D/E because I want to 100% the game first and I'm positive my last 1% unit data is the last two guys in that arena. The tank keeps loving me up.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

RanKizama posted:

I haven't done ending D/E because I want to 100% the game first and I'm positive my last 1% unit data is the last two guys in that arena. The tank keeps loving me up.

Pretty sure none of the DLC counts for the Unit Data for obvious reasons.
It's almost undoubtedly one of the rarer black/red enemies or one of the ~hidden~ machine fights.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Morbi posted:

There's a very infamous description of a childhood event that explains... an awful lot about Yoko Taro's worldview.

When he was a kid, he watched one of his best friends slip off a building roof and die, going out with a comically prominent erection.

the quote in question:

"I'll digress with a short story, of when a friend was misbehaving, at the shopping district's arcade I was walking with my friends across a tall roof, and one of them fell from the roof, causing him to die.
So, the fallen boy wasn't twitching nor moving, yet his "thing" was getting erect.... Seeing that, despite the horrific circumstances everyone started to laugh, the story is left me with a disturbing memory."

Source of the translation

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

the quote in question:

"I'll digress with a short story, of when a friend was misbehaving, at the shopping district's arcade I was walking with my friends across a tall roof, and one of them fell from the roof, causing him to die.
So, the fallen boy wasn't twitching nor moving, yet his "thing" was getting erect.... Seeing that, despite the horrific circumstances everyone started to laugh, the story is left me with a disturbing memory."

Source of the translation
:yokotaro:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So where can you find pearls for weapon upgrades?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Flooded City item pickups. Someone sells them later in the game but I don't remember who.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Has this been recreated in a game yet?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Morbi posted:

Pretty sure none of the DLC counts for the Unit Data for obvious reasons.
It's almost undoubtedly one of the rarer black/red enemies or one of the ~hidden~ machine fights.
I've cross-checked the enemy list like five loving times. It has to be them.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

RanKizama posted:

I've cross-checked the enemy list like five loving times. It has to be them.

You've obviously missed something; none of the DLC enemies count.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CJacobs posted:

Machine on a Break really should have its own side story DLC. All you do is stand around in that alley and do nothing while all your machine friends turn into machine zombies. But not you because you're on your break right now.

edit: Then you unlock a jester hat for the player characters

It's pretty obvious that he's not just standing around. He's very... distracted by what he's doing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Would not be the first Yoko Taro venture where jerking off became a pretty critical plot point for a short time.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

...! posted:

You've obviously missed something; none of the DLC enemies count.
If I post my unit list, can you guys give me a hand? The wiki list seems marked off from what I can tell. :(

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RanKizama posted:

If I post my unit list, can you guys give me a hand? The wiki list seems marked off from what I can tell. :(

I think the wiki list leaves off Emil, so that might cover a percent or so.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

chiasaur11 posted:

I think the wiki list leaves off Emil, so that might cover a percent or so.
Nope did all that. I am 100% on everything except unit data and it's at 99%. Is there anything in ending D/E that counts towards the total?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

RanKizama posted:

Nope did all that. I am 100% on everything except unit data and it's at 99%. Is there anything in ending D/E that counts towards the total?

You know, that's what I've been wondering. I don't think so but it's possible that the final enemy of route D/E might count. You could always check then decline the game's request at the end.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

...! posted:

You know, that's what I've been wondering. I don't think so but it's possible that the final enemy of route D/E might count. You could always check then decline the game's request at the end.

I'm pretty sure A2's entry updates, and I know Nines has an entry on route C. Can't think of anything for route E, though. Except an archive.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

...! posted:

Yeah, I know. I was just trying to save that for the very last thing I did.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh snap.

https://twitter.com/MelloMakes/status/845089847253647360

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"Well, finally got my first two playthroughs done. Now it's time to see if this third playthrough is as crazy as people say..."

":stare:"

":eyepop:"

":psyboom:"

Jesus, the opening credits rolling there totally make sense.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

"Well, finally got my first two playthroughs done. Now it's time to see if this third playthrough is as crazy as people say..."

:stare::hf::stonk:
My man.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

:stare::hf::stonk::hf::stonklol:

26 hour prologue.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, that was a good "Oh gently caress, that was only the WARM UP? :jebstare:"

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That was pretty brilliant. And the fact that (I am
assuming) a large portion of people will not play through ending B thinking it is just a NG+ and there is no new content is highly amusing since so much poo poo goes down after that. I just got to the black box revelation and 9S is ending up like o'brien in ds9 times 1000 with how much he is getting poo poo on.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Sorry for the double post but I have a question. I just got the 3rd key in playthrough C. After killing 210, and killing the robot boss, all of the brother robots came out - like the one at the beginning of playthrough B. Before I realized what was going on, I attacked and it went to a cutscene of A2 killing them all in one strike. Was that an option? Could I have talked to them or left them alive? I feel like I missed something and I don't know if that was the only option or if there were other ones I could have taken. If there were other options, how do they affect the story, if at all?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I was able to just leave via the elevator, which also slightly changed the database entry for the big and small robros. No other changes i think, but it's a nice touch.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

iospace posted:

Yeah, that was a good "Oh gently caress, that was only the WARM UP? :jebstare:"

My favorite part was how fast it fulfilled the preview... then completely defied everything you'd expect from it. Set it up looking like 2B is going rebel against YoRHa for knowing too much... and then things go the way they go.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Route C is the best thing in video games. Scroll through any blind playthrough and see how the player reacts. It's amazing.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I just started as A2 and yeah, poo poo goes bananas real quick.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Someone else probably already posted about this and/or I am being a crazy person but I've been obsessed with this OST since it came out and just the other day I noticed this and I really don't know if I'm reading too far into this so I needed to post it somewhere.

Kind of spoilery I guess for the end-end-end-end-end-ending :

On the Weight of the World - End of YoRHa mix a few seconds after after 4 minutes in the lyrics cut out... and the line they cut out on, what the singer would normally say, with what happens in the game when you hear this is either the best coincidence I'm reading too far into, or just part of Yoko Taro's insanity, or both.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

questions for after ending, spoiler stuff

who exactly formed YoRHa? i thought maybe it was the machines so they could collect combat data

i figure the machines are the ones who made the androids because who else would do it? all the replicants would have died off without pop/dev to recycle old ones

some of the entries in the tower support this theory but i didn't see it explicitly stated, thinking i might have just missed it

i wish replicant nier had shown up at the end just cos

also the patterns on 2Bs skirt look a lot like the big tree in nier 1's forest of text adventures

also ending thing 2B why didn't you store 9S memories in your sword every time you killed him so that you could give them back after you died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Route C is incredible, and Ending E even more so.