Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Oberleutnant posted:

get in the bin

Pretty sure you he's making fun of jbreton's dumb as gently caress "terrorists will always exist so it doesn't matter what we do overseas so no point in basing policy around terrorism" statements.

...Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Getting high as gently caress off these pills that mostly just make my dick not work

SSRIs?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

This is very dumb, my friend are you alright?
I'm very warm and exhausted and I think that counterterrorism is one of those things that's probably made too simple and too complex at times but that I should probably be way more humble about my own level of insight than it would appear I am being by the wailing and gnashing of teeth and so on that my opinions have provoked

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

It's not that I shouldn't try to improve my posting, because I probably ought to,

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Yep. That was my main impression of them. Sertraline dick

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jBrereton posted:

I'm very warm and exhausted and I think that counterterrorism is one of those things that's probably made too simple and too complex at times but that I should probably be way more humble about my own level of insight than it would appear I am being by the wailing and gnashing of teeth and so on that my opinions have provoked

Realtalk, have you been drinking?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yep. That was my main impression of them.

Yeah I noticed the same. Apparently there is research in using them for people with premature ejaculation. If you don't have PE then it just makes it ridic.

But it should go away after a few months and your body gets used to the new serotonin level.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

It's less wailing and gnashing of teeth and more absolute bafflement over how dumb your opinions are, hth.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Miftan posted:

Pretty sure you he's making fun of jbreton's dumb as gently caress "terrorists will always exist so it doesn't matter what we do overseas so no point in basing policy around terrorism" statements.

...Right?

Ah, well, I don't read jbreton's posts so I'm missing all this garbage.

Sorry Lt Danger, your joke went right over my head.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/robert_stenson/status/868056376601436160

Tesseraction posted:

Those were new recruits, as I recall a vast portion of the regime army took to insurgency.

Wasn't ISIS basically formed from baath + iraqi army?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

Realtalk, have you been drinking?
no I'm high on the drug of too much heat + not being able to sleep properly for days + suppressed hope that corbyn might? maybe? could actually win? how good would that be. But it probably won't happen so it's like uh y'know anti-christmas or something and we're smack bang in the middle of advent

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is this a genuine Corbyn/Labour bounceback we're seeing or are the polls going to turn out like they were in the last general election?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Entropy238 posted:

Is this a genuine Corbyn/Labour bounceback we're seeing or are the polls going to turn out like they were in the last general election?

yes

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheRat posted:

Them and also people detained without charge in internment camps during the insurgency who radicalised together and created an informal communications network by writing contact details down and sneaking them out in the lining of their clothes to get past checks.

Daesh were largely formed by the collective stupidity of the Bush administration's post-Hussein lack-of-plan.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Entropy238 posted:

Bit of both probably.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Tesseraction posted:

Those were new recruits, as I recall a vast portion of the regime army took to insurgency.

In which case christ and also lol.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Entropy238 posted:

It appears you've not taken a good, soul-searching look at the Hope Is A Lie plaque for a while.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

TheRat posted:

ISIS in Iraq was, its how they went from having no territory to within a week controlling half the country. But ISIS was around before that in Syria and was a rag tag bunch of extremists estimated at the time to be less than 5000, its why them suddenly massively growing and almost taking over Iraq was such a shock.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

spectralent posted:

I had thought the Iraqi army were re-hired during reconstruction?

They were re-hired eventually, after a large number of young, angry, armed men had been put out to pasture overnight when the expectation had been that the army was going to stick around. This on top of the fact that around the same time it was announced that everyone who had ever held Ba'ath party membership could never have a job in the government, ever again. Note that you had to be a party member to do pretty much anything in the Iraqi government, so in one fell swoop everyone who knew how the country's ministries worked was out on their rear end.

The other thing about the dissolution of the pre-invasion army was that is was non-sectarian and credited as a unifying force in the country, as it binded all the ethnicities of the country together into a single national body. Disbanding it probably did a whole lot to foster the ethnic tensions that built up pretty rapidly after the invasion.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

dispatch_async posted:

I've no idea either.

Actually a great metaphor for the stability of the pound post-Brexit

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jBrereton posted:

It's not that you shouldn't try, because you probably ought to, it's that there will always be one complaint or other for the recruiters of terrorists to blame, so it isn't a good thing to build policy around.

jBrereton posted:

So while I agree that reducing the amount of wars going on and that is good just on a moral level and as a way to move the discourse away from hasty violence, doing it to reduce the sum amount of terrorism seems a bit spurious.
"The perfect is the enemy of the good' is supposed to be an aphorism, not a life philosophy.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

MikeCrotch posted:

They were re-hired eventually, after a large number of young, angry, armed men had been put out to pasture overnight when the expectation had been that the army was going to stick around. This on top of the fact that around the same time it was announced that everyone who had ever held Ba'ath party membership could never have a job in the government, ever again. Note that you had to be a party member to do pretty much anything in the Iraqi government, so in one fell swoop everyone who knew how the country's ministries worked was out on their rear end.

The other thing about the dissolution of the pre-invasion army was that is was non-sectarian and credited as a unifying force in the country, as it binded all the ethnicities of the country together into a single national body. Disbanding it probably did a whole lot to foster the ethnic tensions that built up pretty rapidly after the invasion.

A: I did think it was like a "You're temporarily suspended rather than fired indefinitely, while we check you out" situation, so, lol at that.

B: It's amazing how some of these exact issues were encountered and fixed during denazification. The guidebook on that already exists!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

TACD posted:

"The perfect is the enemy of the good' is supposed to be an aphorism, not a life philosophy.

Looks like you've never met an academic philosopher.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Conservatives cancel election campaign relaunch as poll lead over Labour evaporates

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

spectralent posted:

In which case christ and also lol.

It's worth noting that the army America had put in place were not the grizzled veterans they were fighting against, which is why when Daesh first swept into Iraq the US-trained army literally dropped their weapons and fled in the face of the oncoming enemies.

When the Peshmerga reinforced the northern areas there's an instance I remember from mid-2014 where their commander found the Iraqi commander, took one look at him and just told him to go home.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

dispatch_async posted:

I've no idea either.

Kez, what are you doing? Seriously, what? Aside from yelling NO REFERENDUM and CORBYN BAD I have no idea what Kezia Dugdale is for.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Entropy238 posted:

It's always smart to be skeptical of polls, especially surprising ones with little corroboration, but bear in mind that the polling companies did adjust their models after the 2015 fiasco. According to the UKPR commenters on last night's YouGov poll (only the most trust sources here at OttoMonster Inc), this sample would be showing Labour at 40% under the 2015 model.

dispatch_async posted:

I've no idea either.

It's nice to know the even in The Age of Corbyn Victorious SLab couldn't find competence with a loving map. :cripes:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hmm leaning into the nosedive, this seems like good campaigning

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Getting high as gently caress off these pills that mostly just make my dick not work
If you are serious ask the doc for some of those special blue ones as well while you are there, I had the same problem years ago and he was agreeable :)

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

dispatch_async posted:

I've no idea either.

"Smash the NHS pay freeze"

I wonder how Corbyn's poll rebound will translate in Scotland.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

He really does have an unfortunate face, doesn't he?

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/868063612757319680

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Get hosed you Tory-lite oval office

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

dispatch_async posted:

I've no idea either.

I... what?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TheRat posted:

He constantly looks like someone's digging a gun into his back.

Was the #fightback just taking him hostage?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TheRat posted:

Someone please do Tim Farron a favour and push him into the sea.

The loving homophobic dickwaggle.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Thanks for the advice but that was a couple of years ago and my dick is fine these days.

~UKMT~

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

^^^ The rebound when I came off sert was trippy as gently caress. For a few weeks whenever I turned round my tongue went numb. Apparently that's normal.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Daily Mail have gone with "Corbyn faces furious backlash over 'inappropriate and crass' bid to exploit Manchester bombing by blaming British warmongering".

The top rated comments say he's right, I'm really surprised to hear a good word about Corbyn in the Mail comments.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Thanks for the advice but that was a couple of years ago and my dick is fine these days.

~UKMT~

Glad to hear that your knob's all in working order now. God bless :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
You can all update your spreadsheets.

• Locked thread