Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Has anyone pointed out that it's irrelevant if they hate our foreign policy if our foreign policy keeps giving them all guns?

Sonderkraftfahrzeug 253 leichter Gepanzerter Beobachtungskraftwagen sounds kind of funny, and was also a german artillery observation vehicle in WW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ah, the old they hate our freedom bit. Lovely stuff.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

spectralent posted:

I just saw the loving beeb talk on it and it was a humming and hawwing "Hmm very controversial, yes. Opens him to attacks on politicising tragedy, hmm. Raises questions on his commitment to security. Says he won't do deals with IS but he didn't take press questions so he probably will." bullshit. I know the mail is always going to take that line but what the christ is happening when auntie's going with "With lack of any evidence (aside from the stuff he said against it), we're going to have to assume Corbyn's pro-ISIS"?

Actually thinking about it now "opens him to attacks" is my favourite bit of journalistic fuckery, it's a great way to imply a criticism of someone without actually having to defend it, on account of how it's not you that's making it but some theoretical third party that may or may not exist. good work

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Fans posted:

I hate to mention the Orange faced turd but Trump ran a very "Let's stop loving with the Middle East" campaign and it went down well with his base. I don't think there's any demographic that thinks our actions in the Middle East are not causing any issues even the usually hawkish ones

The Manchester bomber had links to Libya in North Africa, not in what is generally referred to as the Middle East. There has been some speculation that he traveled to Syria at some point after visiting Libya one time, but even then it is hard to establish how bombing the Middle East would have personally affected this 22 year old kid to radicalize him all by itself. Radicalization isn't just "they're not treated well in the UK" otherwise we'd have an amount of bombers from other ethnic/religious groups that are treated like poo poo. It also isn't solely "we bombed the Middle East" because not all of the people involved in terror even have a personal link to that place before they were radicalized.

Those above points are obviously contributing factors but it's (radicalization) a lot more ideological and amorphous a process than to simply say that the UK had it coming because we are the sole cause of it. The reason that line is unpalatable for many is not that it infers British responsibility, but also it naively omits to mention the mindset of the people who groom young people like Salman Abedi, and divorces them of their own responsibility. There are some very sick individuals that support ongoing attempts to radicalize British youth and they loving know how to make these individuals feel worse than any reality of living in the UK. The level of socio-cultural manipulation is off the charts.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Why the loving gently caress are the guardian listing Breivik as "other"? He's a right wing extremist you dense cunts

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Tesseraction posted:

Hang on, *looks at Montana special election* that's it! The Lib Dem Fightback just needs to be a literal fight. Farron needs to give May the peoples' elbow and they'll go right up in the polls!

That fight is over as soon as John "Two Jabs" Prezza gets tagged in.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Rakosi posted:

The Manchester bomber had links to Libya in North Africa, not in what is generally referred to as the Middle East. There has been some speculation that he traveled to Syria at some point after visiting Libya one time, but even then it is hard to establish how bombing the Middle East would have personally affected this 22 year old kid to radicalize him all by itself.

Agreed, Britain has never been involved with Libya in any way.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

TheRat posted:

Why the loving gently caress are the guardian listing Breivik as "other"? He's a right wing extremist you dense cunts

I think they're just comparing Islamist terror to other flavors of terror, not what qualifies as terror compared to mass murders or something.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

TheRat posted:

Because he's not a 'Jihadist'?

I mean, it's still misleading but they don't have a listing for 'Neo Nazi shitlords'

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rakosi posted:

I think they're just comparing Islamist terror to other flavors of terror, not what qualifies as terror compared to mass murders or something.

Why? What purpose does that comparison serve?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TheRat posted:

It doesn't fit the narrative, same reason the press were very insistant on not calling out Jo Cox's murderer's pretty blatant far-right beliefs.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Angepain posted:

Actually thinking about it now "opens him to attacks" is my favourite bit of journalistic fuckery, it's a great way to imply a criticism of someone without actually having to defend it, on account of how it's not you that's making it but some theoretical third party that may or may not exist. good work

If I were a teacher grading a piece of homework, "by whom?" would be in red pen next to that comment.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Spuckuk posted:

I mean, it's still misleading but they don't have a listing for 'Neo Nazi shitlords'

And I'm saying they should

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
tim farron has a level of gormlessness that's actually fascinating

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

TheRat posted:

And I'm saying they should

And I'm agreeing with you tbh.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Why? What purpose does that comparison serve?

For the reader to decide I suppose. I'm guessing it's along the the lines of "Islamist terror kills more than the sum of all other kinds" but we knew that since 9/11 anyway.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Daily Mail 03 June 2006: Iraq war 'to blame for 7/7 attacks'

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

lmao

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Spuckuk posted:

And I'm agreeing with you tbh.

Norway is more egregious for that than Britain anyway.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Spectator: The most dangerous thing about Jeremy Corbyn’s speech today, blaming terror attacks in Britain on wars we have fought abroad, is that it is partly true.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
You know the myth / story about pandoras box? The one where all the horrible poo poo in the world now was once locked inside a box that pandora opened out of curiosity.

Never forget that hope was in there as well. Hope was in with depression, war, hatred, famine, pain, sadness and all the other horrible poo poo. Hope was in there for a reason. It was released last for a reason.

Its the worst of them.

Vote Corbyn, prepare for May.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

TheRat posted:

you could put them all under that tag really

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

ukle posted:

ISIS in Iraq was, its how they went from having no territory to within a week controlling half the country. But ISIS was around before that in Syria and was a rag tag bunch of extremists estimated at the time to be less than 5000, its why them suddenly massively growing and almost taking over Iraq was such a shock.

Lol this is incredibly wrong

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

DesperateDan posted:

I dunno, find relevant red dwarf quotes then butcher them into an image using paint in a vague attempt at mimicry if I had to guess

NUREEK

RETUT

HANUNGA

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Imagine being a Lib Dem in 2017. Imagine supporting that jibbering chimp as party leader.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

Imagine being a Lib Dem in 2017. Imagine supporting that jibbering chimp as party leader.

to be fair it's not as if they had a lot of people left to choose from.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

"We need a leader to drag us out of the mire of having broken our backs to support the Tories. I know, let's appoint the guy who looks like he's constantly realizing he's left the oven on."

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

"We need a leader to drag us out of the mire of having broken our backs to support the Tories. I know, let's appoint the guy who looks like he's constantly realizing he's left the oven on."

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

I like how he switches it up at the end with the underhand grip.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

I like how he switches it up at the end with the underhand grip.

I prefer a mixed grip myself.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Plenty to criticise him on except 'he looks weird', which isn't how political discourse should operate.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It shouldn't. But it does.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

number one pta fan posted:

Plenty to criticise him on except 'he looks weird', which isn't how political discourse should operate.

Well it's not like his intended policies will ever be relevant.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Considering the amount of scruffy confused jam grandad comments there have been in this thread its a bit late to start complaining now

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

His entire party's purpose is to be indecisive, wishy-washy and banal.

Also he looks weird.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
His policies are a joke and his pissy little tiptoing around his anti-abortion stance and homophobia is pathetic.

There isn't really much to discuss about Farron beyond him looking like a stunned newt.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

if the newspapers were leading with him looking silly i'd agree that's not on, but i hold this thread to a different standard. Speaking of looking silly,

dispatch_async posted:

I've no idea either.

https://twitter.com/scottishlabour/status/868078347376578562

yes, that is a random Labour campaigner dressing up in a SNP rosette in order to get beaten in a photo op. Glamorous work.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Angepain posted:

if the newspapers were leading with him looking silly i'd agree that's not on, but i hold this thread to a different standard. Speaking of looking silly,

https://twitter.com/scottishlabour/status/868078347376578562

yes, that is a random Labour campaigner dressing up in a SNP rosette in order to get beaten in a photo op. Glamorous work.

ScotLab is the most petty, rinky-dink national party and it's loving incredible. I'm genuinely impressed that their entire platform is "We're Not The SNP".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MrFlibble posted:

Vote Corbyn, prepare for May.

Vote defeatism, prepare for fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

ScotLab is the most petty, rinky-dink national party and it's loving incredible. I'm genuinely impressed that their entire platform is "We're Not The SNP".

I am going to laugh so, so hard if Corbyn successfully forms a coalition with the SNP to form a government. The only thing that would make it better would be for Corbyn and Sturgeon to tag team poo poo on Kezia Dugdale's desk.

• Locked thread