Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

GaussianCopula posted:

So what about Greece and Italy, who have failed the union by not securing their borders or caring for the refugees they are responsible for?

As it is very often, the answer is redistribution :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GaussianCopula posted:

So what about Greece and Italy, who have failed the union by not securing their borders or caring for the refugees they are responsible for?

I don't know about Greece, but after the UK bows out, Italy is something like 1/3rd of the entire EU-space program. I don't think ESA would like it very much if we slash their budget by ca. 33%. We're already spending only a tiny fraction of NASA, if we're spending even less, we could just close down shop and send what is left to the US. Or China. I'm sure the Chinese space progam could use some help, too.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Corbyn has a nice voice.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Libluini posted:

I don't know about Greece, but after the UK bows out, Italy is something like 1/3rd of the entire EU-space program. I don't think ESA would like it very much if we slash their budget by ca. 33%. We're already spending only a tiny fraction of NASA, if we're spending even less, we could just close down shop and send what is left to the US. Or China. I'm sure the Chinese space progam could use some help, too.

Not sure where you see a connection between border security and ESA? Satellite surveillance?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GaussianCopula posted:

Well the answer is obvious, when you actually bother to think about it.

This is a union with free movement of people. As far as defense is concerned, the outer borders of the European Union are the outer borders of every single country in the union. Therefore, Italy's borders aren't Italy's responsibility alone. Greece's borders aren't Greece's responsibility alone. Italy's borders and Greece's borders are the EU's borders, and securing them is the EU's duty.

It's not Italy and Greece who failed the Union; it's the Union who failed Italy and Greece, and therefore, all the other countries.

If we look at a map of the EU mainland, it is blatant that there are some countries that can afford to be idle in the protection of their borders because they're safely cushioned by having a bunch of other countries all around them. Since these countries are situated at a position where they cannot offer a direct contribution to collective defense, they should offer an indirect contribution, in the form of subsidizing the border guards of the countries that do. In other words, countries such as Germany, Denmark, and the Benelux should help fund the Greek, Italian, and Spanish defense budget.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The issue is that the union has a treaty which clearly states who is responsible - you might think it's a bad treaty, but it was unanimously accepted, although at a time where the largest group of refugees did not come across the Med but from the east.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Therein lies the rub.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
"It was agreed, terefore what if reality changed? It was agreed. " god are GC and Schauble cynical

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GaussianCopula posted:

The issue is that the union has a treaty which clearly states who is responsible - you might think it's a bad treaty, but it was unanimously accepted, although at a time where the largest group of refugees did not come across the Med but from the east.

I just signed a treaty abolishing gravity, hopefully you will disappear into space the next time you step outside.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

This is a union with free movement of people. As far as defense is concerned, the outer borders of the European Union are the outer borders of every single country in the union. Therefore, Italy's borders aren't Italy's responsibility alone. Greece's borders aren't Greece's responsibility alone. Italy's borders and Greece's borders are the EU's borders, and securing them is the EU's duty.

It's not Italy and Greece who failed the Union; it's the Union who failed Italy and Greece, and therefore, all the other countries.

If we look at a map of the EU mainland, it is blatant that there are some countries that can afford to be idle in the protection of their borders because they're safely cushioned by having a bunch of other countries all around them. Since these countries are situated at a position where they cannot offer a direct contribution to collective defense, they should offer an indirect contribution, in the form of subsidizing the border guards of the countries that do. In other words, countries such as Germany, Denmark, and the Benelux should help fund the Greek, Italian, and Spanish defense budget.

Frontex got a reform about a year ago, giving them more money and powers. They now have a rapid response team that can drop wherever and fingerprint brown people on demand

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

"Ei greece, you've been overspending, please slash your budget and destroy a third of your economy. Now spend more money on border control"
"Ei Italy, i know you've warned us about Lampedusa since 2013 and we've been collectively twiddling our thumbs, but the rules are the rules."
"Ei germany, how come there are so many refugees around? did someone invited them here or something?"
"ei man, how do loving magnets work?"

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Frontex got a reform about a year ago, giving them more money and powers. They now have a rapid response team that can drop wherever and fingerprint brown people on demand

What do they need the extra funds for?

https://theintercept.com/2017/04/01/europe-keeps-its-rescue-ships-far-from-the-coast-of-libya-where-thousands-of-refugees-have-drowned/

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

GaussianCopula posted:

Two responses:

1. If we're to be a union it isn't Greece and Italy's border, but EU borders. Did Greece and Italy get sufficient support from the rest of the EU to even be able to accomplish this monumental task? Ofcourse they didn't, they instead got their state apparatus' hijacked and their countries put on fire for the benefit of, wait for it, loving bankers.

2. Go gently caress yourself, we're talking about legitimate refugees, we do not need to be "secured" from them.

GaussianCopula posted:

So loving what? If the EU is ever going to work, it's going to be through appealing to people's ideals, not through legalistic ratfucking.

So you and yours either start selling people a narrative with some loving vision, or you can start preparing for the day you get to argue that the collapse of the EU wasn't *technically* your fault, while half the drat continent crumbles around you.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 26, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cat Mattress posted:

What the hell?? Denmark borders a source of refugees, that's why we're always putting up border security. Wouldn't be fair if we had to pay for Mediterranean border guards too.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I think Rutte is close to opening negotiations with Wilders.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What the hell?? Denmark borders a source of refugees, that's why we're always putting up border security. Wouldn't be fair if we had to pay for Mediterranean border guards too.

I wouldn't call the Malmö commuters refugees exactly. Well, not until they decide to return to Sweden anyway.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I wouldn't say Greenland borders the US, at least technically.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Please do not downplay all the political refugees from Germany.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Shibawanko posted:

Don't disappoint me now Rutte. I've been calling VVD-PVV-CDA-X from the start.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Shocking noone.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
The Belgian record is tough but i have confidence that 4 day negotiation weeks and repeated breaks for reflection are the tactics that will take us there.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Isnt it eye opening that many capitals of europe now being patrolled by the professional soldiers?

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
That's why I'm happy that the Bundeswehr can hardly be called professional.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We're just coming over for your cheap beer.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/868419494162681856

quote:

Soldiers deployed to support the police will be stood down on Monday night, at the close of the bank holiday weekend.

*laughs in état d'urgence permanent*

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

LeoMarr posted:

Isnt it eye opening that many capitals of europe now being patrolled by the professional soldiers?

Yeah our leaders are cowards with no vision so we all get to play security theatre instead.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
europe right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

aint even a big deal anymore either

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Wild Horses posted:

europe right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

aint even a big deal anymore either

what's happening

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah our leaders are cowards with no vision so we all get to play security theatre instead.

I'm finding it darkly funny that Theresa May is the one to stop this stupid poo poo after just a week.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Kurtofan posted:

what's happening

bombs are happening

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What European capitals are patrolled by soldiers? Did the UK use soldiers after the Manchester attack? Is he talking about that or did I miss a coup or something?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Wild Horses posted:

bombs are happening

where?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What is going on, should I be hysterical?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

What is going on, should I be hysterical?

Yes, also consume more, vote for whoever will help multinationals and cheer on the destruction of any right you have. Otherwise terrorists win.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

What European capitals are patrolled by soldiers? Did the UK use soldiers after the Manchester attack? Is he talking about that or did I miss a coup or something?

Very briefly the UK used soldiers after Manchester, at least partially coz when Theresa May was Home Secretary we didn't fund the police enough. At least partially it was probably because our PM thought that soldiers on the streets with their guns would help her image of looking strong & stable, and that's so far been her sole policy this election.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Can someone explain to me why soldiers (or any other state force) patrolling the streets is bad, given that we are living in liberal democracies? They are not used to suppress the opposition or for any other nefarious reasons. In the UKMT I read that officials were warned from 5 different sources about the latest attacker, which makes it very obvious that we are not dealing with a situation where the security forces are too oppressive.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
What is their purpose? Like, what are they actually doing other than standing around with a gun?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

doverhog posted:

What is their purpose? Like, what are they actually doing other than standing around with a gun?

Mostly just that I guess. Stand around with your gun and do nothing - the don't have any special martial law powers where they are allowed to shoot people on sight.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Grownass man asks why untrained country bumpkins with assault rifles performing police duties is actually a bad thing. loving unreal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GaussianCopula posted:

Can someone explain to me why soldiers (or any other state force) patrolling the streets is bad, given that we are living in liberal democracies?

Mostly because we are living in liberal democracies & soldiers patrolling the streets is actually usually not the sign of a stable liberal democracy?

Never mind that they just aren't trained to do basic policing, they are trained to kill people.