Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

http://kotaku.com/far-cry-5-is-a-game-about-resisting-an-american-militia-1795576487

You can choose your gender and skin color and send in bears and cougars to fight for you. Also you have a dog I can't wait!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I like the Pastor as a character, if that's the main dude I'd be kind of down; that said, both that one and the girl one have this very uncomfortable switcharound when both characters go from being sentimental to extremely vicious, where I am intended to feel kind of pumped up and excited.

I did get excited when Jeff Bridges mechanic put a gatling gun on a plane, because that suggested that I can fly a loving crop duster around and shoot at meth-addled militia men. That could be a reason to play another Farcry game.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

nigga crab pollock posted:

i dont remember what mafia game i played but it was open world for some reason even though they clearly hadn't spent much time on the free roam so there was basically nothing to do except storyline missions and it was really fuckin bad

That was probably Mafia 2 and all the open world game play was pretty much ripped out before release than put back in as DLC I think..

But all this talk about mowing down a clan rally makes me want to pick up 3.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Middle eastern women gonna blow people up!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I hate that music in those trailers. It's not the right kind of music for what they're trying to do there.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
grizzled bar owner
preacher with a gun
crazy but goodhearted mechanic

is there a single original idea in this game. are they even going to do anything different from the last far cry games?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

No balls to just have them waving a cross. Gotta be a weird rear end symbol.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There is an ArmA 3 mod that is basically the nuFar Cry formula but in ArmA 3 and Id rather play that tbh.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

What mod is that?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

basic hitler posted:

I hate that music in those trailers. It's not the right kind of music for what they're trying to do there.

Agreed, Woody Guthrie cover is a bad choice of soundtrack for an exclusive bible cult murder group

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I said come in! posted:

Finally, a AAA game that lets me live out my fantasy of murdering white people who are also christian.

I can't tell if this is ironic, sarcastic, or sincere.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

basic hitler posted:

That wasn't the message at all. The politics were a backdrop to a story about how you and comstock and all other dewitts are a loving scourge no matter what reality you're in and so elizabeth decides to smother you. The revolutionaries are shown doing bad poo poo and being less than the sum of its parts but that's not loving surprising, it just mirrors real life, and isn't a value judgement but a gameplay and marketing choice lol
I was fine with how it ended until they hosed it up in Burial at Sea. That was just mean spirited and dumb.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Salt Fish posted:

I can't tell if this is ironic, sarcastic, or sincere.

Full sincerity. Full stop.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah in the original ideas/demos. you were supposed to see the vox go full san culottes on columbia and just execute everyone/show trials and they were neutral towards you, and it would be up to you if you wanted to intervene. they cut all of that because it needed to be a loving cod clone with more "depth". instead its them shooting cops and soldiers. which you have done the whole loving game. i get why levine tried to do but holy gently caress he did it stupidly.

anyway. far cry 5 looks cool enough. its pissing off right wing dicks and woke liberals(just like 4 did) so its good in my books.

The real message of Bioshock Infinite is that there are an Infinite amount of universes where every possible scenario has happened so nothing you really did mattered at all because there was another universe where the opposite choice you made happened.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

CharlestonJew posted:

grizzled bar owner
preacher with a gun
crazy but goodhearted mechanic

is there a single original idea in this game. are they even going to do anything different from the last far cry games?

well this got me thinking about alternatives...

preacher bar owner
crazy but goodhearted dude with a gun
grizzled mechanic

crazy but goodhearted bar owner
grizzled dude with a gun
preacher mechanic

there's something weirdly familiar about all them...

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012

naem posted:

Why do they all have 2010 hipster hair

Maybe you play as a mercenary hired by Budweiser to "persuade" a group of craft brewers in Montana to sell their breweries?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Fried Watermelon posted:

The real message of Bioshock Infinite is that there are an Infinite amount of universes where every possible scenario has happened so nothing you really did mattered at all because there was another universe where the opposite choice you made happened.

They screw that up by saying "some things are always constant" at the end, and by forcing a choice which wouldn't affect an infinite amount of universes.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 26, 2017

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Youtube commenter on the Bar Owner video posted:

I came here from the German Channel because there is more discussion here than on the German one. And I'm quite confused why it is censored here and not there, considering it is the same trailer with German subtitles. This beeping really ruins the whole flow of the video and the background music.

For comparison:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvJ2Qj53nSE

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

I was fine with how it ended until they hosed it up in Burial at Sea. That was just mean spirited and dumb.

The music itself doesn't fit and it frankly doesnt matter who wrote it

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Elukka posted:

It's sold mainly to westerners and it's easy for us to accept Random Fictional African Country or Random Fictional Asian Country and while you might be able to swing a fictional state it would be pretty jarring to have it set in Not-US.

I'm p sure the main guys developing and focus-grouping Far Crys are a million times more likely to have the vaguest idea what Tibet or "Africa" are actually like than they are Montana

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
im the censoring of naughty words in a trailer about murdering hundreds of people and looting their corpses

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Life is starting to suck now that im not in the 18 to 25 demo everything is aimed at.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Im the goon trying to find meaning or social commentary in a Far Cry game.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Come to think of it, the only way the premise could possibly work (armed cult kidnaps unwilling citizens from US town, does not get supressed by FBI/National Guard in return) is if society has already broken down to the extent that there is no state or federal authority ready to intervene.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

Come to think of it, the only way the premise could possibly work (armed cult kidnaps unwilling citizens from US town, does not get supressed by FBI/National Guard in return) is if society has already broken down to the extent that there is no state or federal authority ready to intervene.

We turned of the cell phone towers, the nearest town is real far. If we see you leave the area we will kill the hostages. Probabaly not 100% realistic, but enough to buy into for the game.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kopijeger posted:

That's already just Tuesday in Utah brah

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Seems like they'd be better off just going back in time 50-150 years during the colonial heyday and setting games in that period. Sure it would encroach on Assassin's Creed and its dumb poo poo but would probably fit the whole "human beings become savage in exotic and extreme situations" things a lot better if you were a Belgian mercenary in the Congo Free State or some British twerp in Afghanistan during the Opium Wars or whatever.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Seems like they'd be better off just going back in time 50-150 years during the colonial heyday and setting games in that period. Sure it would encroach on Assassin's Creed and its dumb poo poo but would probably fit the whole "human beings become savage in exotic and extreme situations" things a lot better if you were a Belgian mercenary in the Congo Free State or some British twerp in Afghanistan during the Opium Wars or whatever.

But guns back then only shot one bullet, and console gamers can't aim

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

what is the loving through-line with these games anyhow beyond "hey here's generic first-person shooter please enjoy."

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
This game looks balls deep good.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Just give them more guns

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

what is the loving through-line with these games anyhow beyond "hey here's generic first-person shooter please enjoy."

The graphics are good and you get yo roam a rounf a huge island ambushing mercs with good ai. Then the mutant monkeys show up

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how the plot is going to explain why the US doesn't just send the army in?

Though that would be a fun final chapter, you alert the government and the FBI, ATF and National Guard show up and just wipe everyone out.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

MeatwadIsGod posted:

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

It's already violent wish fulfillment. I say lean into it. Your character falls into a time warp along with a truck fully stocked with military grade small arms. You land in colonial New England. Time to gently caress up King George's poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The graphics are good and you get yo roam a rounf a huge island ambushing mercs with good ai. Then the mutant monkeys show up

Ok. I remember the first Farcry was a tech demo for the engine and it looks like that's been pretty much consistent then?

Blazing Ownager posted:

I wonder how the plot is going to explain why the US doesn't just send the army in?

Though that would be a fun final chapter, you alert the government and the FBI, ATF and National Guard show up and just wipe everyone out.

I'm guessing there isn't much of a Federal government in this world or it has been co-opted by religious extr- :stonk:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

fishing with the fam posted:

It's already violent wish fulfillment. I say lean into it. Your character falls into a time warp along with a truck fully stocked with military grade small arms. You land in colonial New England. Time to gently caress up King George's poo poo.

wasn't this that game about Pompeii or something that sucked rear end

MeatwadIsGod posted:

uh that poo poo literally all still happens in the modern day my dude, they're just getting further and further away from 'realistic' settings because actual massacres are depressing and everyone's seen it

nobody blinked when Far Cry was about African bush wars cause it was just a sanitized-for-tv version of the news with less out-there psychopaths than General Butt Naked or Bob Denard

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 26, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

They are related like final fantasies are relate. so not. Beyond gameplay and themes

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bombadilillo posted:

They are related like final fantasies are relate. so not. Beyond gameplay and themes

ooooh so the purple hair femmey guy gets recast as a different villain in each one?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

wasn't this that game about Pompeii or something that sucked rear end

You may be thinking of Darkest of Days, the game where you play as a soldier snatched (through time travel) from the Battle of Little Big Horn shortly before the Indians would have killed you and wind up fighting in the US Civil War, WWI's Eastern Front (where tanks drive around years ahead of time and Imperial Russian soldiers wear Soviet medals and shout "Death to the occupiers" while being on German territory) and, indeed, one level set in Pompeii while Vesuvius is erupting where you are free to gun down all the fleeing resident because they will die anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I want a far cry game set in a fantasy universe. Some dark wizard looking through a crystal finds a loaded arsenal on present day earth and opens a portal that sucks stockpiles of assault and sniper rifles and light machine guns and armed jeeps and all the usual far cry stuff and he hands it out to a bunch of orc followers. You're a commando dude who gets sucked in as well, and a good wizard finds you and teaches you Bioshock/Skyrim type hand weapon magic. You'll take down orks armed with AKs with either guns or magic and hunt dragons and griffons and manticores.

• Locked thread