Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Clive and Mathilda's supports are 5/6

Clive: you killing people gives me a boner
Mathilda: i know babe

so any ending that doesn't let Mathilda get her murder on dooms their marriage, I fear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, would you want to have sex with clive

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
As much as I'd have sex with any man I guess there doesn't seem to be anything particularly undesirable about him and I could see why Mathilda likes him

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Endorph posted:

he knows his place, that's the most important thing you can get from a man

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Endorph posted:

I mean, Clive's thing is that he's charismatic and good at relations (he gives passive supports to pretty much the entire Deliverance) but isn't that good at stabbing people.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Didn't Gray hype him up as the best knight in Zofia or something

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

blizzardvizard posted:

Gray is kind of an idiot to be fair.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Gray is kind of an idiot to be fair.
shut up, tobin.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Well, beat thabes labyrinth - without the overclass DLC I should add - and the game crashed just after I saved once I beat the last boss.

I'm not actually sure I missed anything since it seemed to have saved properly and I got the last turnwheel and everything, though I do have to say, I was under the impression there was a Awakening tie in at the end? I mean beyond the fact that the "Creation" is obviously Grima. I just wonder if there's anything more to it.

Word of advice for Thabes though - when you're molding your final team, make sure they support one another. I basically just picked my ten best dudes, and that proved difficult at times.

Also definitely double up on healers. Brought my dread fighter saber and there was actually shockingly few mages I needed to fight.

On the other hand my Dealthea and Sonya with ladyblades were by far my MVPs. Delthea had something crazy like 35 attack, plus 20 from the ladyblade. Sonya's entrap totally saved my rear end multiple times as well. That, and I could (and did) turnwheel away their deaths, which I couldn't do for Alm and Celica.

Try to avoid any fights with Entombed if at all possible, make sure they're 1v1s with no reinforcements, or retreat. There would occasionally be fights with 4 entombed, 2 deimoses, 2 dragons and one of those evil villager types and oh my god, ridiculously brutal. The Entomed could literally 1 round every single one of my characters. I only had to deal with that situation twice - cheesed the hell outta it with archery and mages. Generally speaking mages in particular are worth their weight in gold. My Tobin was fairly useful throughout, but his lack of strength (19+9 from the Parthia) was occasionally an issue.

Bring a fair bit of food since exhaustion can be an issue.

Um. That's mostly it, honestly.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 26, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

Even if he's basically the smartest of the villagers Gray's lived in Ram his whole life, he only knows the word that's spreading.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Actually Gray is the only one who leaves the village semi-regularly to go buy stuff from town.

Hence him starting at level 5 while everyone else is at 1.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Actually Gray is the only one who leaves the village semi-regularly to go buy stuff from town.

Hence him starting at level 5 while everyone else is at 1.

Well, Tobin's at level 3 and Kliff used to go to school in the big city.

Anyway, I just remember from Gray's last base conversation he talks about how his whole family line just spent their entire life in Ram and such.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'm mostly liking this game so far but I feel like the promotion system could maybe use a bit of work. I'm midway through Act 3 and I keep doing a lot of inadvertent grinding because I keep having to head back to the Deliverance hideout to promote people. By the time I'm back to where I was, a bunch of generic enemy squads have spawned, and by the time I've killed them it's time to promote someone else.

Is there really no way to promote people in the first half of Act 3 other than walking all the way back to the shrines in the previous Acts? This is getting rather annoying.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

You can always just leave them be until you get to the next shrine ahead, you know?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

You can always just leave them be until you get to the next shrine ahead, you know?
yeah this is the intended idea. if you're midway through act 3 the sylvan shrine is, like, right there.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Pureauthor posted:

But if I go back to promote Clair now she'll gain 10 HP :smith:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

But if I go back to promote Clair now she'll gain 10 HP :smith:

those hp are waiting for her, safe and sound and also you won't be fighting anything where the falcon knight benefit will be a huge deal before you get to the next statue.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

i mean if clive dies she takes up his post, and there's plenty of female endings where they go back to war or w/e, so i think it's just a character thing for mathilda.

edit: also what japanese dude is married to a carol

Steve. They bonded over their weird names.

Honestly, I think it's a Kaga thing, not an IS thing. Pretty much every ending in Tearring Saga is that way, and in FE3 he went from "Minerva is a hardened badass who killed her own brother to take the throne over his bloody corpse" to "Her brother lived and she quit being a warrior-queen to work in an orphanage".

Considering modern IS has Flavia ruling a country and Severa continuing to kill people for money, I'm willing to chalk things up to it being in the original.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eh im all for punting on kaga and that dude is super weird about women buuuut i dont think it's really sexist or Bad for a lady to go 'okay, i dont wanna kill anymore dudes,' at the end of a game where everybody is really sad about the people they killed. a whole bunch of guys retire, too. like abel just opens up a shop after fe3. im glad, that the ladies have variety in their endings.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

gaaaaaaaiiiiiinnn speeeeeeeed alllllllllllllm

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Double Lion doesn't care about speed so it's okay (ish)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ruggington posted:

gaaaaaaaiiiiiinnn speeeeeeeed alllllllllllllm

He doesn't really want it honestly, compared to some other stats at least.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

eh im all for punting on kaga and that dude is super weird about women buuuut i dont think it's really sexist or Bad for a lady to go 'okay, i dont wanna kill anymore dudes,' at the end of a game where everybody is really sad about the people they killed. a whole bunch of guys retire, too. like abel just opens up a shop after fe3. im glad, that the ladies have variety in their endings.

I'm not going to argue against that kind of ending in general, but it's kind of weird in this specific case.

Like, Clive and Mathilda's support is him being all "Seriously, I'm at full mast watching you rip that guy's spine out. Don't stop. Ever.", and if Clive bites it, she keeps on keeping on. Feels weird to have her quit something she enjoys to support Clive when the guy specifically says that he doesn't want her to worry about it.

Like, Sumia? Yeah. Her going "Yep! I'm done!" makes sense, because she's got a bunch of supports and dialog saying she doesn't dig this whole "violence" thing. Someone like Genny, I wouldn't blink. Mathilda, though, is odd enough that I look at other games for context. And the "Woman quits soldiering, does housework" is common enough in Kaga games it feels like a reasonable guess for the original.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think you're just clive if im being honest, and if you catch my drift

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clive is always shown to be the charismatic leader guy so he becomes the charismatic leader guy, and his wife who is more skilled than him and better at murdering becomes the secret force acting behind the scenes. Like the ending would probably make more sense if Mathilda was treated as being skilled in politics or something other than just being the strongest and the best warrior, but I don't think it comes off as completely out of place.

E: Mathilda's ending doesn't say 'she retires and becomes a housewife', it's 'she retires and supports Clive from behind the scenes', is I guess what i'm saying.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like how the whitewings' endings are just "play FE12, nerd"

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I'm curious, has Valbar put in any work for you guys? Right now I feel like even deploying him is worse than not because well, witches.

e: ok tbf this is a blitzkrieg run so ofc he's gonna be useless but even in my first run he's never done anything of note

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 26, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I love Valbar on maps that work with his strengths, which there are increasingly few of as I go through Celica's side of things.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Valbar boosts Leon's crit rate, so that's pretty cool.

Leon seems to crit for me way more than his listed rate would indicate anyway. I liked him initially just from his character design, but goddamn this dude is my main man now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I love Leon. With a Killer Bow he's right up there with my favorites.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Recruit Sonya or Deen?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Deen is another Jesse support, but Sonya is Genny's. I went Sonya and she's...okay, but I certainly wouldn't mind taking Deen next time around.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Clive is always shown to be the charismatic leader guy so he becomes the charismatic leader guy, and his wife who is more skilled than him and better at murdering becomes the secret force acting behind the scenes. Like the ending would probably make more sense if Mathilda was treated as being skilled in politics or something other than just being the strongest and the best warrior, but I don't think it comes off as completely out of place.

E: Mathilda's ending doesn't say 'she retires and becomes a housewife', it's 'she retires and supports Clive from behind the scenes', is I guess what i'm saying.

Dude, he was making a joke.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Oh boy I got to the swamp last night, guess it's time to play through Vanquish then maybe come back and do the swamp again.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can someone spoil the details of the awakening connection in Thabes? It sounds pretty unfun to do it myself

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Can someone spoil the details of the awakening connection in Thabes? It sounds pretty unfun to do it myself
The final boss is Grima.

It's not actually named as such, it's called "The Creation" and is described as a monster created by ancient alchemy or somesuch but it's Grima and his sigil is on the floor of the arena. When you win the portal that teleports you out has the Ylissean Brand in it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

hi

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The final boss is Grima.

It's not actually named as such, it's called "The Creation" and is described as a monster created by ancient alchemy or somesuch but it's Grima and his sigil is on the floor of the arena. When you win the portal that teleports you out has the Ylissean Brand in it.

There's really no more details than that? That's pretty lame tbh

e: Apparently the credits song is called "Heritors of Arcadia" so I wonder if they're planning to shoe-horn in a connection like that when they remake FE6

The most sensible single-timeline theories put the Elibe games before the Archanea games so it's not wildly implausible Mila and Duma came from Arcadia, I guess

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

There's really no more details than that? That's pretty lame tbh

e: Apparently the credits song is called "Heritors of Arcadia" so I wonder if they're planning to shoe-horn in a connection like that when they remake FE6

The most sensible single-timeline theories put the Elibe games before the Archanea games so it's not wildly implausible Mila and Duma came from Arcadia, I guess

It's incredibly dumb, but there was a bunch of connections for FE 1/2/3 to Awakening from Awakening.

e: oh I misread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cuntellectual posted:

It's incredibly dumb, but there was a bunch of connections for FE 1/2/3 to Awakening from Awakening.

e: oh I misread.

I mean, there were a bunch of connections from Awakening to every game in the series to that point. Except maybe Sacred Stones? I can't remember.

• Locked thread