Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
C-ROC has a release date. 6/8 in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

AndyElusive posted:

How long ago did they say that?

FFG posted a whole Turn Zero article last year that focused entirely on blocking.

I can't find the interview at the moment, it might have been on video and therefore largely unsearchable. It would have been well before last year, possibly while Jay Little was still lead designer. The general gist was that the designers didn't see blocking becoming a strategy, and once players figured it out they liked the depth that it added to the game, even though that depth was accidental and thematically it's a little backwards. The point being that guessing designer intent is a fool's errand where one player's design depth is another's cheap move.

The tool the designers have to express their intent to us is the rules of the game. I fully expect the rules of the game to be changed to prevent TIE Agressors from using the IG-2000 title, but they would need to be.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The same rule that allows all TIEs to use the Mk 2 engine is the same one that would allow both aggressors to use the title, so I don't know why this is a problem.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Poopy Palpy posted:

I can't find the interview at the moment, it might have been on video and therefore largely unsearchable. It would have been well before last year, possibly while Jay Little was still lead designer. The general gist was that the designers didn't see blocking becoming a strategy, and once players figured it out they liked the depth that it added to the game, even though that depth was accidental and thematically it's a little backwards. The point being that guessing designer intent is a fool's errand where one player's design depth is another's cheap move.

There's a pretty big difference between "we didn't predict this interaction when we designed the core rules, but we like how it affects the gameplay" and "this interaction is against the spirit of the rules."

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

canyoneer posted:

FINALLY.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'm now seeing people banning Jumpmasters at non-FFG events. Also saw 6 seperate posts on FB with people saying they needed nerfed along with mindlink, Assaj and Fenn. Try to talk about how Biggs, Miranda and Adv Slam being part of the problem and people just stick their fingers in their ears and go lalalalala.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Yeah, this is the hardest i have seen people overreact to something in X-Wing in a while. People bitching and moaning online about every little thing that needs to be 'nerfed' is making me rethink why I even play this game. Thankfully, my local players aren't caught up in this type of stupid talk.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I've had to take a break for a few weeks due to Biggs & Miranda. This game is not very balances compared to other mini games I've done, but I still can have fun losing to a good player. Losing to a bad player that can have a list auto play itself is so infuriating.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

canyoneer posted:

Should mean it's legal for store champs yeah? Anything in there that might make a splash?

Genesis Red seems like a pretty good addition to Parrattani.

Genesis Red (19)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Pulsed Ray Shield (2)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Cannon) (2)

Asajj Ventress (37)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Latts Razzi (2)

Fenn Rau (28)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Autothrusters (2)
Concord Dawn Protector (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'm not OCD or anything, organizing my stuff and putting it in foam felt good. Reallllll good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Also if anyone is on the fence about going to the Aus Open they just announced the grand prize for the winner. It's a $2000 Flight Centre gift card. That's enough to get to World's + accom then some. Still 12 places open

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Is that the pluck foam The Combat Company sells?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

NTRabbit posted:

Is that the pluck foam The Combat Company sells?

Yeah, it worked great. My flgs had the "Battalion" case and swapped out the foam till it had what I wanted. Still have a bunch of unused foam for future expansions and imperial assault. The 1.5 inch foam fits everything except Ghost, Kylo's shuttle, Bossk and Lambda. I just used the 2 inch for that. Things like J5K, Arc and K-Wings have enough room to stack on top of each other in the 1.5 too.

Also I think I found the greatest youtube channel ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsrAGjesyYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fRs5-heDK4

Raged fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 25, 2017

radlum
May 13, 2013
Is Most Wanted still worth getting? I saw an OK priced one in my FLGS and I was thinking of getting it along with a Protectorate Starfighter.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

radlum posted:

Is Most Wanted still worth getting? I saw an OK priced one in my FLGS and I was thinking of getting it along with a Protectorate Starfighter.

Yeah there are a bunch of good cards that come with it. Plus having a couple of z-95's and a y-wing is always useful

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Think Biggs could be fixed if his ability was changed to "Once per turn, other friendly ships at Range 1 cannot be targeted by attacks if the attacker could target you instead?"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

IronSaber posted:

Think Biggs could be fixed if his ability was changed to "Once per turn, other friendly ships at Range 1 cannot be targeted by attacks if the attacker could target you instead?"

If Biggs goes away without some serious changes made to the rest of the Rebel lineup, the only viable Rebel archetype left is fat turrets and bombers.

Would anyone really prefer that?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Still two more archetypes than imperial have right now.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

canyoneer posted:

If Biggs goes away without some serious changes made to the rest of the Rebel lineup, the only viable Rebel archetype left is fat turrets and bombers.

Would anyone really prefer that?

If Biggs goes away I wouldn't even be confident that those archetypes are still good.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

IronSaber posted:

I think that would make him even worse to fly against. Imagine Biggs with that ability + R2D2. Double regen rebels (miranda/poe/arc) where 1 enemy ship is basically wasted all game shooting a regening biggs.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

banned from Starbucks posted:

I think that would make him even worse to fly against. Imagine Biggs with that ability + R2D2. Double regen rebels (miranda/poe/arc) where 1 enemy ship is basically wasted all game shooting a regening biggs.

wat? It's an objectively worse ability. How could it possibly make him worse to fly against?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Worse in double regen lists. Having to split fire on regenning ships vs nuking them down with concentrated fire.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

banned from Starbucks posted:

Worse in double regen lists. Having to split fire on regenning ships vs nuking them down with concentrated fire.

So you just shoot Biggs.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

admanb posted:

So you just shoot Biggs.

Which begs the other question; in that case, what's the point? If you're shooting Biggs until he dies because of pilot ability, or you're shooting Biggs until he dies because you have to shoot him once, and there's no point in splitting fire, either way, if Biggs is on the table, you need to burn him down first.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

TheCenturion posted:

Which begs the other question; in that case, what's the point? If you're shooting Biggs until he dies because of pilot ability, or you're shooting Biggs until he dies because you have to shoot him once, and there's no point in splitting fire, either way, if Biggs is on the table, you need to burn him down first.

Sure. I don't know that reducing it to 1/turn would be sufficient to remove Biggs from the game (which I assume is what people want out of a nerf) but it's still an objectively weaker ability. There are plenty of situations when you'd be okay with losing one shot into Biggs in exchange for open options on the rest of your shots.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Biggs could probably be fixed and become more thematic if:

A) He had to be closer to the opponent's ship than the target they intended to shoot. So "between" the attacking ship and the target

OR

B) He had to be obstructing any part of an opponent's ship's attack against another friendly target for his ability to trigger.

Both could potentially result in Biggs having to fly somewhat out of formation and more dangerously (kind of like in the movie) in order to get his benefit. With either of those abilities you could take or leave the friendly R1 requirement, I think.

It would keep him relevant but require more precise flying for Biggs, versus just flying him close to the ships you have full control over.

edit: me write gooder

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 25, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

make him only protect T-65s :haw:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Strobe posted:

I love how FFG's response to "Bombs are hard-countering aces and killing the meta" is to double down on loving up aces with Lieutenant Kestrel, who forces them to play the naked dice game against a TLT with no autothrusters and no focuses.

I'm more and more convinced that FFG's game balance design is about a year behind the meta.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm more and more convinced that FFG's game balance design is about a year behind the meta.

Considering their design cycle, they pretty much are working around 8-10 behind the current meta.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

thespaceinvader posted:

It probably is, very literally.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

That's true of pretty much all games. The issue is that their playtesters didn't catch the Jumpmaster problem in the first place, and once you start doing errata NONE of your playtesting mattered.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

admanb posted:

That's true of pretty much all games. The issue is that their playtesters didn't catch the Jumpmaster problem in the first place, and once you start doing errata NONE of your playtesting mattered.

Didn't they do all the play testing on Jumpmasters then add the EPT after the fact, without further testing?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Didn't they do all the play testing on Jumpmasters then add the EPT after the fact, without further testing?

I think that was a rumor going around, but the developers would never admit it and the playtesters can't publicly confirm it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

TheCenturion posted:

It doesn't change anything in the specific instance of Regen Biggs + Regen + Other. It changes things significantly in the Rebel Toolkit where Biggs takes one shot, and then you blow the gently caress out of the HWK that makes it work.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Baaaaaaah

I'm second guessing my list for the Aus Open next weekend. Planning on Dengar/Tel since I have been flying it for about 2 months off and on. I probably have 20-25 games with and haven't lost yet and probably could fly it in my sleep. It's a drat good list and watching world's really improved how I flew it. Hell in the last 5 games I only had to use my damage deck twice.

However I have the following misgivings about running it.

1. Out of 90 players I fully expect to see a lot of people flying this list because of world's and other people will expect it. A recent store tourney where I am going had 6 people flying it.
2. I hate the idea of flying two ships list in a tourney. It cuts down on your options for misdirection and baiting.
3. I have tankier scum lists and lists with more firepower that I have just as much or more experience with.

Baaaaaah any advice or should I just get out of my own head?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Raged posted:

Baaaaaaah

I'm second guessing my list for the Aus Open next weekend. Planning on Dengar/Tel since I have been flying it for about 2 months off and on. I probably have 20-25 games with and haven't lost yet and probably could fly it in my sleep. It's a drat good list and watching world's really improved how I flew it. Hell in the last 5 games I only had to use my damage deck twice.

1. Out of 90 players I fully expect to see a lot of people flying this list because of world's and other people will expect it. A recent store tourney where I am going had 6 people flying it.
2. I hate the idea of flying two ships list in a tourney. It cuts down on your options for misdirection and baiting.
3. I have tankier scum lists and lists with more firepower that I have just as much or more experience with.

drive your car off a cliff instead of playing stupid jumpmasters

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

alg posted:

Whoa hey, easy there buddy.

So for my local FLGS tournament, I'm thinking of flying either a Kanan-Biggs-Jess squadron, a Braylen-Jess-Biggs-Rex Squadron, or the Comfortably Numb squadron I've seen bouncing around this thread.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

IronSaber posted:

So for my local FLGS tournament, I'm thinking of flying either a Kanan-Biggs-Jess squadron, a Braylen-Jess-Biggs-Rex Squadron, or the Comfortably Numb squadron I've seen bouncing around this thread.

Go with your second squad.
100 points is not enough to build out Kanan to where he's worth the points if you're also paying for Jess.
A 39 point Ten Numb is a points pinata in the last squad. It clowns on aces lists, but nobody runs those because everything clowns on aces these days.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

alg posted:

Show me on the doll where the jumpmaster touched you.

IronSaber posted:

The Braylen/Jess/Rex/Biggs list can really work wonders if you can fly it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Raged posted:

Baaaaaaah

Be a man. Fly this.

Prince Xizor (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Virago (1)

Guri (30)
Predator (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Black Sun Enforcer (25)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100