Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Casca says she "needs to go see someone", which could be her baby or Griffith I guess. She's assured she will be.

It's probably her first real line of dialogue in like 20 years at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Casca says she "needs to go see someone", which could be her baby or Griffith I guess. She's assured she will be.

Do you think she'll start to break apart again when they finally set into The Eclipse? This may be a good way to demonstrate the exact problem of Casca whether the initial damage itself was the biggest problem or if the doll's unraveling at the darkest moment of her life is proof that Madness is a defense mechanism for her to avoid the reality that she has been stuck in for 20 years.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think that's pretty unlikely regarding breaking up again but honestly, none of this has played out like I thought it would so I wouldn't like to pretend I know where this is going except that when Miura kicks, he's going to kick extremely hard.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I'm guessing it's Griffith and that's going to be the whole point I suppose. She's going to have to realize and accept(?) what Griffith did and turned into. Because even back when they met at Godo's place Caska was still trying to go and hug him or something. I don't think she realizes he was responsible for the Eclipse.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Almost every memory is Guts, Griffith, or Guts and Griffith. She was obsessive.

Remember what happened. Guts walked off in the snow and she didn't follow, then Griffith was captured so she couldn't follow him anymore either. She runs the Hawks until Guts returns, at which point she tries to give up, but Guts brings her back (prevents her suicide). They get Griffith, then the dream gets destroyed, but not Griffith's dream. Guts split from Griffith, so Griffith splits from him to get some revenge, Casca has been torn asunder. Guts got her body, Griffith "took the rest".

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
On the memory fragments page, what's the one in the upper left? Haven't placed it just yet.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

i actually think she is saying she needs to see guts- but that may not be for even remotely warm and fuzzy reasons. She cares for Griffith, but she meant it when she said she loved *guts* and what we've seen so far makes that clear.

It may well be that she wants to see guts in order to tell him that she needs to have him let her go- either let her be, period, or let her go to Griffith for whatever she's cooked up in there.

But yeah i have no idea because i never expected it to go like this.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dear Evil Genius Translator Dude/Overall Cool Guy Who is Loved by Women and Envied by All Men Because He is Incredibly Good-Looking,

Please hurry, soshite hairygato!!

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I hear your call! We're still waiting for scans - we tend to get them early, but Young Animal hits shelves on Friday.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In the grand scheme of Berserk waiting, the better chunk of a week is nothing to wait at all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://imgur.com/a/3POLn

Korean scans with every page to have a looksie at

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Korean scans with every page to have a looksie at

Given how the content is richly tied to the conversation in this sequence, I shall control myself and await the great translators. They are so efficient and awesome that my speculation over the pictures is not worth it.

Now if there happen to be some action pages and Rickerto badassery showing up, well that doesn't get lost in the translation as much. Do we think he'll put in a teaser in that story line before the next, well, you know... I can't say it... "disappointment"?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

God drat, I've done plenty of criticizing about the new anime series but honestly if it had the level of quality seen in the most recent episode (and perhaps the last one or two?) I may have actually been one of the people that was like "Ehhh, it's still Berserk" and gotten over the animation, someone must have told the director to calm the gently caress down with the camera at some point because it's watchable and there are stretches where its entertaining at least

It's definitely mediocre and the studio should watch the 97 series to learn how to do pacing\editing better for this series though, but I'm seeing tiny flashes of improvement but I guess when you're working up from "utter poo poo" to "decent" that's to be expected

edit: also lmao at them changing Grunbeld's originally ridiculous eyes to red for the next episode

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 25, 2017

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm enjoying the anime for what it is. Not saying it's great, but they're trying harder and I appreciate that.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Agreed, the last few episodes have gotten much better. Maybe it's just cool as hell to see this stuff animated. The Slan episode was.. dare I say it... good??? :stare:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

3 episodes ago was when it crossed the threshold for me. The camera stopped being as crazy, the poses got better and animation less floaty, and it's keeping in all the manga material. It sucks that the Conviction arc got the short shrift as being the 'test season' but I'd watch many more seasons of Berserk at this quality.

Of course, if they suddenly get a better budget or schedule and the quality improves even more that would be great. And if this show is destined to only be 2 seasons, that's fine too.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

I could almost pretend last episode was acceptable, but then we'd see an entire scene of frozen mime-trolls skulking around behind Guts and company.

I think you guys are really suffering from Stockholm syndrome. We've gone from "utterly unwatchable" to "pretty bad" and after gritting our teeth through the abortion of the Conviction arc almost any improvement seems incredible.

Any hope for a decent Berserk adaptation anytime in the near future is over for me. Maybe somebody will finally step up when I'm in my early 50s and the manga ends.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Doing a really amazing Berserk adaption is probably always going to cost more than anyone is willing to spend. Even if technology improves and they make another go with CG, the difficulty is finding good enough, fast enough artists at the price they can afford. They probably couldn't even pull of a 2D series on the level of the 90s show since the stable of talented 2d animators in Japan has shrunk over the past 20 years from its heights in the 80s.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ccs posted:

Doing a really amazing Berserk adaption is probably always going to cost more than anyone is willing to spend. Even if technology improves and they make another go with CG, the difficulty is finding good enough, fast enough artists at the price they can afford. They probably couldn't even pull of a 2D series on the level of the 90s show since the stable of talented 2d animators in Japan has shrunk over the past 20 years from its heights in the 80s.

i mean there are 2d anime made every season that look better then the 90s show

that said a good anime adaptation is an impossible dream and i dunno why people care so much. it already exists in the medium it's most suited for.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
If I force some optimism, perhaps the show will be enough to raise visibility to the point where an awesome ending leads to a great western adaptation. Remember, Americans must have an ending, which is probably one of the reasons they won't touch it right now. If Miura somehow creates an ending so profound that everyone starts gushing (blood, haha, seems likely), then you know a bunch of boring Hollywood adaptations aren't far behind.

Unfortunately this stuff is so terribly dependent on timing.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

great western adaptation.

haha, nice one my dude

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Who do i have to sacrifice to get an english translation of the latest chapter?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Captain_duck posted:

Who do i have to sacrifice to get an english translation of the latest chapter?

You must give up Miura and Hirasawa to perform the Invocation of Doom.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vedius Pollio posted:

I could almost pretend last episode was acceptable, but then we'd see an entire scene of frozen mime-trolls skulking around behind Guts and company.

I think you guys are really suffering from Stockholm syndrome. We've gone from "utterly unwatchable" to "pretty bad" and after gritting our teeth through the abortion of the Conviction arc almost any improvement seems incredible.

Any hope for a decent Berserk adaptation anytime in the near future is over for me. Maybe somebody will finally step up when I'm in my early 50s and the manga ends.

I think we all accept that it's always going to look bad with crappy sound and direction, it's just that they've reined in the absolute worst parts and it's adapting a part which is extremely good which helps a lot.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cake Attack posted:

haha, nice one my dude

again, if they kept it small-scale, followed a group of rando redshirts, and basically treated Guts like a not-evil slasher villain fighting some other Gross Evil Thing and based the state of the setting/Guts/etc roughly off Black Swordsman era, it could be rad as gently caress.

the trick would just be finding the right Guts and the right director.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ccs posted:

Doing a really amazing Berserk adaption is probably always going to cost more than anyone is willing to spend. Even if technology improves and they make another go with CG, the difficulty is finding good enough, fast enough artists at the price they can afford.

I do wonder just how much of the shitshow is dependent on the budget and how much is dependent on the team actually making it. I mean, every anime has a lacking budget and tight deadlines, particularly nowadays with dozens of shows being made per season. Is budget really the deciding factor here? Or is it that the production team are using tools they don't understand, with a director who doesn't know what pacing is?

Berserk '98 was also given a shoe string budget with really obvious cut corners, yet people loved that one. Budget is not the issue.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This week was definitely back to being pretty bad. Sometimes we're seeing scenes that are a solid 3 FPS.

Some of the iconic parts are well done though.

I think next week might be filler?

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Christ the animation was terrible yeah. If they even bothered to try moving the mouths for speech it looked absolutely atrocious.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This week was definitely back to being pretty bad. Sometimes we're seeing scenes that are a solid 3 FPS.

That part where Guts is walking past the camera when Scheirke senses the barrier is down is just :ughh:

They didn't even animate any kind of motion in his arms or head, they literally staggered the character model back and forth awkwardly in place, what the gently caress

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Hey how about something good instead. The 350th good.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

LordMune posted:

Thanks for your service.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Fitting that most of what's missing is the heart.

Christ this is going to be brutal.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

LordMune posted:

lol at oh! You shouldn't see this!

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

lol at oh! You shouldn't see this!

but..for research purposes!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LordMune posted:

Thanks, you guys are the best.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Man, Miura is really on fire lately. I guess hellscapes and eldritch monsters are his wheelhouse.

It's really cool seeing all these golden age scenes from Casca's perspective. I wonder if the monsters aren't her mind's defense system trying to prevent them from getting to the eclipse... or it could be the curse of the brand or whatever.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

LordMune posted:

You made my friday, thanks!

Seriously this chapter's loving great and so far the trip into Casca's mind has been really interesting. I also kind of wonder if some of the monsters thus far were actually casca's attempts at keeping everyone away from the eclipse.

I'm really glad to have this stuff from Casca's POV - it is not a surprise since her feelings were quite clear I thought but since I still see rogue remarks from folks about how she doesn't "really" love Guts, now it's made abundantly clear. Of course she loves Guts. She clearly cares for Griffith deeply too, which isn't like this terrible awful thing for her to care about, but Guts is first and foremost in her mind.

I do think that I have to walk back what I thought about her clear desire to see Guts. That's obviously how it's interpreted but I can't really tell if that's what she's truly saying or if they just jumped to that because of what they'd just experienced through her mind. But maybe it is that straightforward and she does want to talk to Guts again and that's that.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Please pick a random number every 4 minutes between 10 and 60

that will be the fps for that scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Third World Reggin posted:

Please pick a random number every 4 minutes between 10 and 60

that will be the fps for that scene