Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Texibus
May 18, 2008
Goons don't have to worry about consent, the answer is always no and go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Nuh-uh, one time at Gen-Con I met up with a woman from the Internet and we had a great time and then we were making out in the back seat of my car (gotta keep secrets from the roommates and all that [no offense roommates]) and after what seemed like literally five seconds she said something like "you can't keep kissing me the same way over and over" and I said "I think I would run out of kisses after a minute at that rate?" and though we laughed I thought to myself "there is no force on this planet that could grant me continued succeed in this worthwhile endeavor" but fortunately some randos suddenly started approaching the car making a lot of noise so we buttoned things back up and got out and that was pretty much that.

Totally cool lady, mind, but clearly operating under a constant haste spell if you know what I mean* :smug: Kill me immediately :smug:

On one hand I do not want to post this because I think a side conversation about awkward Gen-Con hookups might be the worst thing to ever happen to this thread, but I also cannot deny it would be kind of amazing.

* It is also possible I have been slowed by some sort of Appalachian curse

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Nuh-uh, one time at Gen-Con I met up with a woman from the Internet and we had a great time and then we were making out in the back seat of my car (gotta keep secrets from the roommates and all that [no offense roommates]) and after what seemed like literally five seconds she said something like "you can't keep kissing me the same way over and over" and I said "I think I would run out of kisses after a minute at that rate?" and though we laughed I thought to myself "there is no force on this planet that could grant me continued succeed in this worthwhile endeavor" but fortunately some randos suddenly started approaching the car making a lot of noise so we buttoned things back up and got out and that was pretty much that.

Totally cool lady, mind, but clearly operating under a constant haste spell if you know what I mean* :smug: Kill me immediately :smug:

On one hand I do not want to post this because I think a side conversation about awkward Gen-Con hookups might be the worst thing to ever happen to this thread, but I also cannot deny it would be kind of amazing.

* It is also possible I have been slowed by some sort of Appalachian curse

pls source your quotes

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Deviant posted:

pls source your quotes
:smith:

Unrelated I suddenly remembered that I used to follow the Indianapolis Goon Meets thread, and I see its last post was years ago. I have decided that the Gen-Con posts obviously killed that thread. I apologize.

Oh and I thought there was still no way to actually search for the 50th anniversary celebration events until I had the brilliant plan to find one and click on "company" so here is a default search for that if for some reason anyone else but me cares

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
There might be another event app going up on the Android market this year too. There hasn't been one for every year, but it made it easier to search for events on my phone, instead of digging out the program.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Dr. Quarex posted:

:smith:

Unrelated I suddenly remembered that I used to follow the Indianapolis Goon Meets thread, and I see its last post was years ago. I have decided that the Gen-Con posts obviously killed that thread. I apologize.

Oh and I thought there was still no way to actually search for the 50th anniversary celebration events until I had the brilliant plan to find one and click on "company" so here is a default search for that if for some reason anyone else but me cares

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032599&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It's no for Indiana and Michigan, but it works.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Is there a way to search for guest panels or celebrities for this year? A few years back I think there was a panel for Mystery Science Theater 3000 and I had no idea until it was too late.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I will switch to this one now that I have caught up on the Indianapolis thread. I loved the last two posts there: "Anyone going out tonight?" "No."

Slandible posted:

Is there a way to search for guest panels or celebrities for this year? A few years back I think there was a panel for Mystery Science Theater 3000 and I had no idea until it was too late.
Just looking through all the seminars is a decent start, but I doubt there is much more specific than that?

ALSO

Am I seriously the only person who, no matter what browser I use, has "Processing Please Wait..." appear when trying to add something to a wishlist...and then nothing ever happens? I might be desperate enough to post on the OFFICIAL FORUMS about this considering its prevalence on both desktop and mobile devices suggests something might be wrong with my account maybe? Maybe?!?!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So, how do people handle parking for GenCon? I'm driving up from Louisville, so only a couple hours way, and I have a hotel that's like 15 minutes from the center. I know parking will be a insane, but is there some place I can reserve parking that allows me to come and go as I please? I found one place I thought was reasonable, but it does not allow reentry, just park once and that's it, which doesn't work for me. I also know there is that Lot 10 parking thing on events page that SEEMS t be somewhat what I'm looking for, but all this logistics is confusing to me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You can park beside the stadium for $10-$15 a day and it's a 5 minute walk. Never had any trouble there last year.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Going to be making my other annual excursion to Indianapolis (Indy 500). My brother and I are going to be camping out at one of the ancillary race tracks the night before the race, and it got me wondering if anyone has ever tried camping for GenCon.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

There's also parkwiz, which definitely lets you come and go.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

SirPhoebos posted:

Going to be making my other annual excursion to Indianapolis (Indy 500). My brother and I are going to be camping out at one of the ancillary race tracks the night before the race, and it got me wondering if anyone has ever tried camping for GenCon.
There are some great stories in 40 Years of Gen Con about people camping out in their vans in nearby lots and washing up in public bathrooms and stuff, but those stories are also all from the earlier Milwaukee days. I have not really heard of anyone trying for the camping lifestyle for Gen-Con these days, though I do still keep meaning to try to watch this sometime, as it does seemingly cover the subject quite well.

Unless you mean like camping legally in a camper, in which case...what sort of mad wizard are you?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dr. Quarex posted:

There are some great stories in 40 Years of Gen Con about people camping out in their vans in nearby lots and washing up in public bathrooms and stuff, but those stories are also all from the earlier Milwaukee days. I have not really heard of anyone trying for the camping lifestyle for Gen-Con these days, though I do still keep meaning to try to watch this sometime, as it does seemingly cover the subject quite well.

Unless you mean like camping legally in a camper, in which case...what sort of mad wizard are you?

I mean tent camping. That documentary looks interesting too.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Hobocon is... interesting. They start off all for it but clearly get very tired of their experiment after day 1. If nothing else its a good time capsule of what it was like to attend Gen Con in 2008.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

nesbit37 posted:

Alright, goons, which one of you made this event a necessity?

This kind of thing is standard convention faire almost everywhere

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
As a heads up, the stadium parking pricing may be going up / be harder to get now and in the future since True Dungeon has moved into Lucas Oil. If nothing else all the volunteers for that event will rush that area so they don't have to walk a while after doing their shifts.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What are the True Dungeon Events like? I'm tempted to give one a try, but $62 a ticket is too much to spend blind.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

LLSix posted:

What are the True Dungeon Events like? I'm tempted to give one a try, but $62 a ticket is too much to spend blind.

I thought the puzzles were alright, though some of the physical related ones are pretty difficult, but the combat itself was trash.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

LLSix posted:

Its worth doing at least once. Think of it as a haunted house only where you play quasi D&D inside. A lot of how good it is depends on the group you run with so if you can plan ahead and either go with friends or people that have run several times before.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

nesbit37 posted:

Its worth doing at least once. Think of it as a haunted house only where you play quasi D&D inside. A lot of how good it is depends on the group you run with so if you can plan ahead and either go with friends or people that have run several times before.

Bunch of goons in the groupme are organizing to do a run twice. From what i have heard its like an escape room, only good if you do it with goons and you can ignore the price.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Exmond posted:

Bunch of goons in the groupme are organizing to do a run twice. From what i have heard its like an escape room, only good if you do it with goons and you can ignore the price.

Eh, more like 7 mini-escape the rooms if some of them were shuffleboard and the others puzzles.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I will switch to this one now that I have caught up on the Indianapolis thread. I loved the last two posts there: "Anyone going out tonight?" "No."

thought about trying to wrangle up some folks to go to an Indy 11 game once, then thought better of it.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

LLSix posted:

I did it last year with the same idea in mind, why not try it once. Myself and just about everyone in our group walked out dissapointed. It might be fine at like 25 30 bucks, but I did not feel like I got much out of it at 60 dollars. Basically a two hour haunted house with puzzles instead.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I just noticed that Mayfair games is running over SIX HUNDRED events and none of them are for new players. That's a boldy unfriendly choice. I guess they're not much interested in getting new people to buy their games.

nesbit37 posted:

Slandible posted:

I did it last year with the same idea in mind, why not try it once. Myself and just about everyone in our group walked out dissapointed. It might be fine at like 25 30 bucks, but I did not feel like I got much out of it at 60 dollars. Basically a two hour haunted house with puzzles instead.
I like puzzles but I found haunted houses at best tedious. Thanks for the info!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Does anyone have any events they highly recommend you try and get into this year? My overall list is pretty light other than the 50th anniversary special stuff. I think I may actually take Gen Con kind of easy this year, do my talk, get in a little D&D and a round of True Dungeon and then just chill for once.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Apparently there's a Delta Green LARP this year. I thought about volunteering for it, but it was a pretty big time commitment. I met the guy who's running it (he GM'd my Delta Green game last year) and I think he's got a great head on his shoulders. He also runs LARPs pretty regularly, so I'm confident he knows how to make it work well.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

nesbit37 posted:

Does anyone have any events they highly recommend you try and get into this year? My overall list is pretty light other than the 50th anniversary special stuff. I think I may actually take Gen Con kind of easy this year, do my talk, get in a little D&D and a round of True Dungeon and then just chill for once.

Its my second year so Im looking at all the nifty new things coming out of gencon, I expect to be dissapointed but...

Hero Realms is doing some kind of coop campaign?
Legend of the five rings is launching at gencon

Infinity (miniature game) is releasing their new boardgame at gencon.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Radio Free Walrus posted:

As a heads up, the stadium parking pricing may be going up / be harder to get now and in the future since True Dungeon has moved into Lucas Oil. If nothing else all the volunteers for that event will rush that area so they don't have to walk a while after doing their shifts.

TD moved to Lucas Oil last year? :confused:

edit: http://www.gencon.com/press/stadiumexpansion

fordan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 26, 2017

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
TD is worth doing at least once just to see if you like it. I wouldn't suggest doing the lower priced one as your first time because that's a separate 'True Grind' event with is just your group fighting a bunch of monsters. It is definitely not for everybody, and it is vastly improved if you have a decent sized group of people you know playing it with you. It can also be a little touch and go based on who is volunteering, as our first run last year had a completely disinterested NPC who was with us for the first four rooms. Second run had a succubus who was singing songs with me (party bard) and a metal fallen angel.
For what it's worth this year is also heavily influenced by Patrick Rothfuss, which may add or subtract to the appeal depending on your personal opinions of him.
And as always, if you pull something that doesn't have Black Green or Red text for the name find a reputable buyer and sell it to them, don't give it away for free.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

fordan posted:

TD moved to Lucas Oil last year? :confused:

Unless I'm completely mis-remembering yes, they've moved into a lower section of it in order to get more space. They've also got the prep and game sections split by walls now, so there's much less light bleed. You can still get there from the convention center completely inside although it's a bit more of a walk than it was prior. There are also a few anime booth things nearby there, gencon is just kind of spreading like a city-sized parasite.

edit: Also, it has much better AC than the convention hall / AC that is actually present during setup.

Radio Free Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 26, 2017

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
I still stand by when TD was $25-$30 it was worth doing. But at this point it's just a silly amount of money.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The best gencon experiences are all free: gaming with goons, bringing beer in a hydroflask to wander the vendor hall while getting sloshed, and taking pictures of awkward people passed out in awkward positions. That's my guide to a successful and enjoyable weekend.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

The best gencon experiences are all free: gaming with goons, bringing beer in a hydroflask to wander the vendor hall while getting sloshed, and taking pictures of awkward people passed out in awkward positions. That's my guide to a successful and enjoyable weekend.

Sounds good to me. I read somewhere that vendors will run free demo games too so we're thinking about not signing up for many board game events. True or False?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

LLSix posted:

Sounds good to me. I read somewhere that vendors will run free demo games too so we're thinking about not signing up for many board game events. True or False?

It's true! That's how I discovered Tragedy Looper. For the most part though, demo games are abridged versions of the games (basically enough to get you on your feet if you play it for yourself).

Just don't wait for Plaid Hat. The people there will tell you that they insist on their demos being full games. I actually suspect it's part of their marketing pitch, because people get really dumb when they have to wait for something. If people are waiting for it, it has to be good, right?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

LLSix posted:

Some companies make you sign up for certain high demand games but places like Fantasy Flight you just walk up and sit down once the previous people are done.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

LLSix posted:

Make sure to use groupme.com to chat with goons and organize board games.

Also come out to Shot Wednsday

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
AW DANG UNOFFICIAL GEN CON 2017 FOR ANDROID JUST UPDATED

HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOO

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

My schedule Wed - Sunday so far. Am I doing it right? I think I may have scheduled too much time for eating and sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Hey thats my event, gently caress yeah

• Locked thread