Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

They actually showed a frozen corpsicle just now. Everyone on this thread should be watching them.
If you refuse to install snapchat you can follow them here with some delay: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXby3aZQjOzfkFRvnnBwlBQ/videos

Edit:
NSFW/dead body:

http://i.imgur.com/aETFrtjm.png

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe we should just stop the deathpool entirely, it only causes problems.

the country of Take a Hike! generates so many posts annually from the death pool, it's a real problem since the Take a Hike! subforum has so few other sources of posts due to its naturally landlocked location within the bounds of a dead, gay comedy forum, meaning that Take a Hike! will probably never close down the death pool.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Business posted:

the snapchat guys are leaving soon for the summit. I am rooting for them because they are doing hard mode without oxygen tanks and it seems like hell

In the middle of the night? It was around 1am in Nepal at the time you posted.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Doctor Malaver posted:

isn't this pretty common?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

I have no idea.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

Yeah I thought people usually left like 4am or something but maybe because it's such slow going when you can't breathe

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I think it's like a whole lot easier to go up in the dark (starting lower so it's not as difficult, you're rested, etc) than it is to descend in the dark (fried from the altitude, exhausted, night is coming on, harder to climb down) so that's why people go real early in the morning

Was just reading that Ed Visteurs book about K2 and that's basically what he says...he would always try to get out really early and if he was on schedule to summit in the late afternoon then he'd bail and head down because of how dangerous it gets to descend in those conditions

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think weather reports are also taken into account. E.g., it's more important to avoid high wind and bad weather than to be climbing during daylight.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yeah, descending in the dark is really dangerous, more so than ascent. Especially on Everest where you're severely fatigued and lacking oxygen. Considering most mountain accidents are on descent, the risk factor on that mountain isn't worth it.

They're also very proud of their slow and steady approach to things, and talk about its benefits often. They're actively trying to keep their heart rate at a minimum so they'll have to leave earlier than normal. They did the same on Kilimanjaro.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

As for weather, generally speaking bad weather usually rolls in in the afternoons when the sun has provided enough energy into the system to generate storms. Here it happens like clockwork in July and August, we get severe thunderstorms pretty much materialize at 3 p.m. The rest of the year the sun is too low an angle or there aren't enough daylight hours to provide enough energy for them to build. Since it's close to monsoon season, I can see there being an issue of storms forming in the afternoons there as well. And at that elevation, it's going to be a blizzard.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Picnic Princess posted:

My mountains have incredibly diverse causes of death. There are many different ways to fall. In the past few years there's been several scramblers, rock climbers not tying knots in the ends of their ropes :wtc:, alpinists falling into crevasses, and uncontrollable glissades, and freesoloers found the next day by hikers because they went by themselves. There's been a few river and lake deaths where people fall in while kayaking or canoeing or walking on ice. BASE jumpers are on the increase. Every winter people get swept away in avalanches, usually triggered by them. Bear attacks happen sometimes, but I think there's only been one fatality in the last 5 years. Then of course there's car accidents and sometimes a murder because some of the biggest highways in the country pass through. I think someone got hit by a train too. That's the problem with a highly accessible yet still seriously dangerous mountain range. It's easy for people to go in and die at a high rate.

All of these stories get posted about by public safety sections on social media to hopefully prevent a repeat incident through education.

Many climbers come from the eastern Canada/US, where there's often nothing more than a single <25m pitch, AKA something that you never need to worry about a 60-70m rope not reaching the bottom as long as the mid is through the rap ring - these people come west and have a bad habit, and hopefully do their BRAKES.

The rockies have a lot of exposure issues, but mostly people just go under-equipped. Some jorts, a cotton t-shirt and converse shoes aren't appropriate for 99.9% of things in the mountains, especially longer hikes or unpredictable weather conditions. I'm honestly surprised there aren't more deaths on mountains like Athabasca, because nothing is stopping you from renting some crampons and an axe and aiming for the top.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Landsknecht posted:

The rockies have a lot of exposure issues, but mostly people just go under-equipped. Some jorts, a cotton t-shirt and converse shoes aren't appropriate for 99.9% of things in the mountains, especially longer hikes or unpredictable weather conditions. I'm honestly surprised there aren't more deaths on mountains like Athabasca, because nothing is stopping you from renting some crampons and an axe and aiming for the top.

There's two peaks near here that get rescue calls almost every weekend in the summer, sometimes more than one per day. Ha Ling Peak and Mt. Yamnuska. They're both considered easy scrambles/difficult hikes, and pretty much anyone who hikes regularly has been up them at least once each. Since they're so popular and well-known, beginners think that it's easy to just bang up and back down without any issue. Except for when they take a wrong turn on Ha Ling and get cliffed out, or fail to realize just how big Yam really is and are still at elevation towards sunset and didn't bring a light. Both have really tall vertical cliffs as well, there's been a few people who got too close to the edge and fell off.

My favourite story is from Barrier Mountain, across the valley from Yamnuska. A group of people and their chihuahua decided to hike up in I think March or April, there was still snow on it. They were in jeans and sneakers, and usually it's really easy with a wide trail that from being one of the most popular and easiest summits in the area. Somehow they managed to get lost anyway, and were in snow up to their thighs, way off route. They called for a rescue because they were starting to go hypothermic. And their dog was probably going to die.

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 26, 2017

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Landsknecht posted:

Many climbers come from the eastern Canada/US, where there's often nothing more than a single <25m pitch, AKA something that you never need to worry about a 60-70m rope not reaching the bottom as long as the mid is through the rap ring - these people come west and have a bad habit, and hopefully do their BRAKES.

Here in the UK hillwalking still occasionally kills people because they don't expect it to suddenly get snowy/rainy and windy as a weather system rolls in from the Atlantic. They've gone for a nice stroll up a mountain in shorts and tshirt, brought a bottle of water and a bar of chocolate and suddenly they're drenched and cold and one thing leads to another. Usually a couple of stories like that every year on our very old very worn down mountains.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Sounds like the story of the four dead climbers in their tent may have been bogus? Instead of four bodies, it's now being reported that four different people may have just seen one body and misinformation got out.

quote:

The same people that reported 4 bodies – 2 Sherpas, 1 foreign woman and 1 foreign male – were found at the South Col now say they got it all wrong.

I spoke live with both key sources last night.

Managing Director at Seven Summit Treks, Mingma Sherpa, who provided the the information to Himalayan Times reporter Rajan Pokhrel who wrote the story. Both now say it was a mistake and were no 4 new bodies.

I also confirmed with another Nepali operator Navin Trital plus long time Everest climber and guide, Willie Benegas of Benegas Brothers contacted me from the South Col and said no new bodies. He said he checked every tent.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

gohuskies posted:

Sounds like the story of the four dead climbers in their tent may have been bogus? Instead of four bodies, it's now being reported that four different people may have just seen one body and misinformation got out.

Ah...the fog of war...

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Looks like Cory from EverestNoFilter is turning around as of within the last hour. Adrian and Sherpas are still going on, they're above the Second Step.

Cory had a pretty serious look at a body attached right on the path - really drives home how people die attached to the line.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Anya posted:

Looks like Cory from EverestNoFilter is turning around as of within the last hour. Adrian and Sherpas are still going on, they're above the Second Step.

Cory had a pretty serious look at a body attached right on the path - really drives home how people die attached to the line.

Nope! Going back up, but with oxygen

edit:
I came into the snapchat train late last year, what happened with those two?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I think Corey summited last year but Adrian had to turn around.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Adrian had to turn back last time because he was developing hypothermia, hence all the references to him being warm this time.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Everyone made the summit! Hope they're safe on the way back down.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

So are they streaming? How can they have internet up there?

I overcame my disgust with puppy face filters and wanted to install snapchat but it turns out there's no PC version and my phone is small and old.

There's a summit push video on their YT but it's short and vertically recorded with a phone.

gently caress this poo poo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Doctor Malaver posted:

So are they streaming? How can they have internet up there? There

Ncell has 3G coverage in Base Camp and apparently from the summit.

Everestlink blankets the mountain in wifi coverage.

Vice wrote way too many words about the subject.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 27, 2017

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Nice to wake up and see they both made summit and everyone is almost back down. Looks like oxygen use was the motive.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Malaver posted:

So are they streaming? How can they have internet up there?

I overcame my disgust with puppy face filters and wanted to install snapchat but it turns out there's no PC version and my phone is small and old.

There's a summit push video on their YT but it's short and vertically recorded with a phone.

gently caress this poo poo

One of their (girl?)friends is doing updates. I just skipped through them as they were quite dull but it is amusing to see her getting more and more knackered looking as she awaits news.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Yeah, she's very, very boring but I still want to hear the updates so I suffer through it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

She's boring because she was up all night posting. She exhausted, I was watching the bags under her eyes grow. She's also a super badass climber who's also been up Everest. It's actually where she and Adrian met. I think she's awesome.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We both reached for the same section of rope when going around a frozen corpse on the Hillary Step.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

She's boring because she was up all night posting. She exhausted, I was watching the bags under her eyes grow. She's also a super badass climber who's also been up Everest. It's actually where she and Adrian met. I think she's awesome.

I get that that was why she looked haggard as gently caress. I'm sure she is cool but it was video after video of her face and I got bored of looking at her. I was watching them all in one big wedge so i just wanted to hear if they'd summitted and see pictures of the mountain, not a tired girl. I liked the bits where she was outside climbing and chatting. That was cool.

Anyway good on them all for summiting!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

I have an idea! Nepal could announce that say year 2020 will be a Year of Respect and that the season will be entirely devoted to removing all bodies from the mountain. There would be no summits that year.

It would be a right thing to do and I'm sure plenty of climbers would be interested. Since they are still "using" the mountain, Nepal could charge them for some reduced permits although overall they would earn less from permits that year. However this noble cause might attract some sponsor money. And to celebrate they could charge more for permits for casuals from 2021 on so any temporary loss would soon turn into a gain.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Doctor Malaver posted:

I have an idea! Nepal could announce that say year 2020 will be a Year of Respect and that the season will be entirely devoted to removing all bodies from the mountain. There would be no summits that year.

It would be a right thing to do and I'm sure plenty of climbers would be interested. Since they are still "using" the mountain, Nepal could charge them for some reduced permits although overall they would earn less from permits that year. However this noble cause might attract some sponsor money. And to celebrate they could charge more for permits for casuals from 2021 on so any temporary loss would soon turn into a gain.

That's a really good idea but neglects the fact that more bodies will eventually = higher mountain.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Imagine how many people would die trying to remove bodies, it'd make for a refreshing death pool for sure.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

You'd have a better starting point (fewer casuals, fewer guides for casuals, less feces, less bickering, no competition, more space, etc), and teams that would plan and prepare for this with full focus for the entire year. It would still be dangerous but so is regular summiting.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
It would cost an immense amount of money and people either don't care or are even against it.

Not saying it's never gonna happen because who knows, but I don't see it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

You'd have a better starting point (fewer casuals, fewer guides for casuals, less feces, less bickering, no competition, more space, etc), and teams that would plan and prepare for this with full focus for the entire year. It would still be dangerous but so is regular summiting.

This seems very optimistic!

I'd bet 1 death for every two bodies returned personally.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Rondette posted:

One of their (girl?)friends is doing updates. I just skipped through them as they were quite dull but it is amusing to see her getting more and more knackered looking as she awaits news.

Yeah pretty much tap tap tap through her

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Imagine how many people would die trying to remove bodies, it'd make for a refreshing death pool for sure.

Net change in number of bodies

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Mr. Despair posted:

I'd bet 1 death for every two bodies returned personally.

Bobby Digital posted:

Net change in number of bodies
Zeno's deathzone . . .

The Deathzeno

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
How to be the the Highest Altitude Dickhead in the World? Steal other climbers Oxygen bottles, of course.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11865414

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Distorted Kiwi posted:

How to be the the Highest Altitude Dickhead in the World? Steal other climbers Oxygen bottles, of course.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11865414

quote:

The first group of climbers summited the mountain on May 15 and it didn't take long for reports of the suspected thefts to come in.

Mystery solved???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

y'all are a bit morbid, drat

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 29, 2017