Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Tei posted:

The terrorist sweet dream is for senpai to say "Ok, [brave warrior, freedom fighter] let sit together in a table, and talk about your needs".

Isn't that what basically happened with Sinn Fein as well as the PLO? They were given legitimacy and became political entities instead of car bombers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

You know I've been reading politoons too long because my first thought here was "that doesn't look like Ariana Grande at all!"

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Now sit right down and let me tell you all about Ben Ghazi's Emails.

What happens when a right winger ventures to a different channel where they just report the news.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/may/25/margaret-court-vows-to-stop-flying-qantas-over-marriage-equality-stance

Junior's not impressed with grandpa's acid flashbacks.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Delonas is such a turd

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Sandpuppy posted:

I have no idea what is happening there but I dig it.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

Sandpuppy posted:

Kids today with the emojeeeeez and the txtspk just cannot speak in indecipherable psychedelia.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Delonas is such a turd

He's also clearly never been on a subway in his life

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How many comics has this guy made about the exact same thing now?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A more poignant question is: why doesn't he just trace a photo of a steaming turd and write 'the democratic party' on it.
He could stop working altogether.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I thought we were gonna cut back on the megaposts.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tei posted:

Edit:
I think this thread will love this photo:

Title is: First Gentleman of Luxembourg, Who’s Married to World’s Only Openly Gay Prime Minister, Poses With Spouses of World Leaders.

I do love that photo, but isn't it lovely to say he's "posing with the spouses of world leaders" when he himself is also the spouse of a world leader, something that's pointed out in the caption? I can't tell if it's being shittier to him or the women there but it's weird to separate them. Maybe if it just said "other spouses of world leaders," or just sort of subtly pointed it out in the 'from left to right' bit that usually accompanies group shots like this. I don't normally worry this much about this sort of thing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

How many comics has this guy made about the exact same thing now?

When the brain implant in your head sends a painful electric shock to your brain stem for just thinking about criticizing Trump, your options are limited.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Sandpuppy posted:

Now sit right down and let me tell you all about Ben Ghazi's Emails.

I feel like some day we'll look back on comics like this the way we look back on comics like this:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Cpt.Americant posted:

I feel like some day we'll look back on comics like this the way we look back on comics like this:

this cartoon is so good, always happy to see it show up.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Lord Hydronium posted:

I mean, the goal of terrorism is to induce terror, usually far beyond the scope of those directly killed or injured; mocking and diminishing them instead of building them up as a terrifying threat can rob them of that power.

The thing is, these people making the "terrorists are pussies" cartoons are also desperately afraid of them, and support poo poo like the Muslim ban because of it, so it comes off as weak posturing instead. And as we saw during the Obama administration, they're just as willing to hype up ISIS as the most dangerous and scary thing ever when it suits them politically.

Good point. I remember when John Kerry said in 2004 that we should handle terrorism in a rational way, and get to the point where they're not considered an existential threat but more of a "nuisance," like organized crime. Naturally, the right went nuts talking about how he just didn't understand the threat.

Sandpuppy posted:

What happens when a right winger ventures to a different channel where they just report the news.

I don't even get what's wrong with this. Does she say that's not the reason? Does she say that it's better not to have a job? "She actually said this?" So what?

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 26, 2017

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Sandpuppy posted:

I don't understand why Lester is so mad about this report.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

He thinks political opponents of the current regime are making up reasons to complain about an improving economy, even though the economy improving is an inarguable good thing

Also: irony is dead

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Johnny Walker posted:

It could be he's mad that a woman is speaking.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Thing is Good, ergo thing is 0% Bad and 100% Good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

tbf I really hate those kinds of stupid news reports that are basically "studies show that good thing could have incredibly minor bad side effects"

It's pure fluff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tei posted:

I think this thread will love this photo:

Title is: First Gentleman of Luxembourg, Who’s Married to World’s Only Openly Gay Prime Minister, Poses With Spouses of World Leaders.

Who's the woman on the left? She looks like she's ready to break into a run.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

tbf I really hate those kinds of stupid news reports that are basically "studies show that good thing could have incredibly minor bad side effects"

It's pure fluff.

Yeah, those are the kinds of fun facts you want to find in a Wikipedia article but not in broadcast news. It happens a lot during the Presidential election. It's interesting how long the candidate who has won Ohio has won the presidency, but it makes me roll my eyes when a newscaster will say it as if it's some sort of predictive metric.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's pure fluff.

I agree but I also think it's worthwhile to realize and admit that good things can have bad aspects, and learn to accept those. A lot of people go all in on things and plug their ears when you bring up things they don't want to hear and it's at least part of why the politics in the US are so hosed right now. It also leads to the dumber kind of tribalism you see on the internet like people losing their poo poo if you suggest their favorite video game has a flaw of some kind.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If nothing else, that statistic should serve to remind people that cars are an extremely stupid, very unsafe, environmentally unfriendly, ancient technology that we can't seem to divest ourselves from because we've built our entire infrastructure around them, and that somebody really should have invented better transportation at this point.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jedit posted:

Brigitte Trogneux, I think?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bicyclops posted:

we've built our entire infrastructure around them, and that somebody really should have invented better transportation at this point.

The human cannon has been around for ages :shrug:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jedit posted:

the french first lady.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Words

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Johnny Walker posted:

The american centrist bowed his head solemnly and spoke. "People working is really good, people dying is only a little bad. You imbecile. You loving moron."

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, those are the kinds of fun facts you want to find in a Wikipedia article but not in broadcast news. It happens a lot during the Presidential election. It's interesting how long the candidate who has won Ohio has won the presidency, but it makes me roll my eyes when a newscaster will say it as if it's some sort of predictive metric.

Broadcast news necessarily must fill its airtime/column-inches, or at least must grasp the consumer's attention on a regular basis. If nothing important is happening, they have to make the things happening seem important.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cpt.Americant posted:

I just need to confirm: is this real? Or have I been pranked? Because if it is real it's almost too perfect, it's basically the exact opposite of what ended up happening.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I just need to confirm: is this real? Or have I been pranked? Because if it is real it's almost too perfect, it's basically the exact opposite of what ended up happening.

That happens a lot with political cartoons. Usually those ones end up in history books with the caption "look how wrong they were".

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Yes. Weirdly enough, the only pre-Trump Campaign source I can easily find for it is this undergraduate English paper from 2014. If you wanna confirm it, you could buy a subscription to the New Orleans Times-Picayne to get access to their archives to see it but I don't wanna do that.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sandpuppy posted:

You know they COULD have reported on all the people who had insurance rates that weren't going to go up :smuggo:

Christ, even in Lester's world these people are dying before they even get to work, I'll give the choice of "live or have a job" to a group of people and see how many choose the latter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:discourse:

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Is he implying that Greg Gianforte is going to murder his family and then hang himself?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

It's what happened every time people thought Conservative politicians would be able to protect people.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Lurdiak posted:

I seriously don't understand why the kneejerk for all the warhawk cartoonists is to call terrorists pussies. Like do you think you're going to hurt their feelings? They're not doing this poo poo to prove how macho they are or impress you.

terrorists operate not just in physical space, but in the world of ideas. by using acts of outrageous violence, they hope to gain the public spotlight as a means of recruiting adherents and influencing public policy. if a government cannot be cowed into acceding to the terrorists' demands, then it can be deprived of legitimacy (through its failure to stop attacks) or alienated from its populace (through overreach and overreaction). by painting terrorists as cowards and losers, you deprive them of that platform. they cease to be an unknowable evil in the eyes of the public. they cease to be a "classic sci-fi underdog battling a seemingly all powerful Evil Empire America against impossible odds" in the eyes of potential sympathizers.

they are exactly "doing this poo poo" to "prove how macho they are [and] impress you" because that's how terrorism works. if you want to delegitimize an organization, then making fun of them is not a bad approach to take.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

QuoProQuid posted:

they are exactly "doing this poo poo" to "prove how macho they are [and] impress you" because that's how terrorism works. if you want to delegitimize an organization, then making fun of them is not a bad approach to take.

Any form of public acknowledgement is a boon to their cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

QuoProQuid posted:

Pointing out that the noble warriors of Jihad just valiantly killed a whole lot of innocent young girls is a good way to make some people who slightly sympathize them think differently. The true believers don't care of course.

• Locked thread