Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Blazing Ownager posted:

I wonder how the plot is going to explain why the US doesn't just send the army in?

Though that would be a fun final chapter, you alert the government and the FBI, ATF and National Guard show up and just wipe everyone out.

Eh after Trump became pres I can p much buy anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

id be down for a game based on 1632 if it was like some squad-based thing or a strategy game instead of a COD/Far Cry-style manshoot

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

ooooh so the purple hair femmey guy gets recast as a different villain in each one?

Pagan Min was a literal anime villain yeah.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ive enjoyed every Far Cry game and this looks fun but I really hope they tone down on the crafting that poo poo gets tedious imo

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Earwicker posted:

Ive enjoyed every Far Cry game and this looks fun but I really hope they tone down on the crafting that poo poo gets tedious imo

To craft the master wallet you will need 2 bible covers, 4 pitbull skins, and an empty can of chew.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Maybe they will have a shop that only accepts human hands as payment

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah gently caress the crafting. Makes me spend an hour or so upgrading everything. I cant just play and hunt when I see stuff. I don't want just 1 weapon slot, are you kdding me?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kopijeger posted:

Come to think of it, the only way the premise could possibly work (armed cult kidnaps unwilling citizens from US town, does not get supressed by FBI/National Guard in return) is if society has already broken down to the extent that there is no state or federal authority ready to intervene.

Not really. There are parts of Wyoming that become basically cut off from the rest of civilization throughout a lot of the winter and spring because of the snow.

On the other hand, this game appears to take place during the early fall so :shrug:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

there was literally a whole thing right around when this game started getting developed where Montana hillbillies were strutting around with ARs on national TV drawing down on feds and the government went to enormous pains to not do poo poo about it or upset them in any way even after they'd literally started occupying territory and drawing loonies from all over the country by preaching violent revolution against the illegitimate government that wouldn't let them steal poo poo and start forest fires.

if the Bundies had bothered get one of their weird hick clan in the sheriff's office or something they'd be running a few counties right now.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 26, 2017

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

fishing with the fam posted:

To craft the master wallet you will need 2 bible covers, 4 pitbull skins, and an empty can of chew.

:golfclap:

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

nigga crab pollock posted:

death of the author is ultimately a lame postmodernist copout that lets ideologically minded jerkoffs separate their work from the context of the reality it was authored in and makes it vastly easier to sniff your own farts. it's not like its a bad concept, authorial intent is't always what a work ends up depicting, but its bred this acceptable attitude of ignorant agnosticism of the artist which usually ends up just being abused in fallacious arguments like this one where people jump up and say the dissonance between the story and gameplay is the whole point of the game when in actuality its just an artefact of the game trying to be six things at once and developed by a studio with a high turnover rate on a max time crunch attempting to re-bake the half cooked game concept that got dumpstered

I'm framing this poem.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Universe Master posted:

I want a far cry game set in a fantasy universe. Some dark wizard looking through a crystal finds a loaded arsenal on present day earth and opens a portal that sucks stockpiles of assault and sniper rifles and light machine guns and armed jeeps and all the usual far cry stuff and he hands it out to a bunch of orc followers. You're a commando dude who gets sucked in as well, and a good wizard finds you and teaches you Bioshock/Skyrim type hand weapon magic. You'll take down orks armed with AKs with either guns or magic and hunt dragons and griffons and manticores.

Primal was kind of close to fantasy it was basically a riff on the Beastmaster movies but set in caveman times

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Kopijeger posted:

You may be thinking of Darkest of Days, the game where you play as a soldier snatched (through time travel) from the Battle of Little Big Horn shortly before the Indians would have killed you and wind up fighting in the US Civil War, WWI's Eastern Front (where tanks drive around years ahead of time and Imperial Russian soldiers wear Soviet medals and shout "Death to the occupiers" while being on German territory) and, indeed, one level set in Pompeii while Vesuvius is erupting where you are free to gun down all the fleeing resident because they will die anyway.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I could see this working so far back as the '90's. Like, with cell phones and Facebook there's no way you could have a clandestine takeover of a county by religious extremists, the viral video would tank it all. But before then, if you had key members of the county authority: Sheriff, all of the commissioners, probably the biggest city's chief of police and his whole retinue, and most of the mayors or town council leaders, then sure, you could kind of quietly over time assert this power and start vanishing people from view without much hubbub.

Problem is gonna be when you have helicopters shooting missiles around Buckwheat County Montana, in a contemporary setting with smart phones, you're gonna beggar belief.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

8-Bit Scholar posted:

you're gonna beggar belief.

The recent Far Cry games are not really known for serious realism and believability at all times.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Problem is gonna be when you have helicopters shooting missiles around Buckwheat County Montana, in a contemporary setting with smart phones, you're gonna beggar belief.

I dont think these games have ever been meant to be particularly realistic except for arguably the second one

in Far Cry 4 you could destroy an entire enemy compound by riding an elephant around ffs

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Dennis System posted:

Why is far cry 5 pissing off woke liberals? The prospect of getting to virtually kill hundreds of white redneck "nazis" is a woke liberal's wet dream.

violence and poo poo mostly.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/24/15685670/far-cry-5-setting-art-e3-2017-ubisoft

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/867854636518166528

moralists dips are gonna whine no matter what.

anyway. the game is more about fighting FLDS/branch davidian/christian ISIS mixed with prepper militias more then alt right dickheads. honestly looks more interesting.

Kopijeger posted:

You may be thinking of Darkest of Days, the game where you play as a soldier snatched (through time travel) from the Battle of Little Big Horn shortly before the Indians would have killed you and wind up fighting in the US Civil War, WWI's Eastern Front (where tanks drive around years ahead of time and Imperial Russian soldiers wear Soviet medals and shout "Death to the occupiers" while being on German territory) and, indeed, one level set in Pompeii while Vesuvius is erupting where you are free to gun down all the fleeing resident because they will die anyway.

the game is fun bad. the ww1 germans have swastikas on their uniforms and the blimp level is broken but using a lock on machine gun and flame thrower on confederates never gets old.

Fried Watermelon posted:

The real message of Bioshock Infinite is that there are an Infinite amount of universes where every possible scenario has happened so nothing you really did mattered at all because there was another universe where the opposite choice you made happened.

pretty much. i like alot of the ideas of infinite but it basically got remade like 4 times apparently and it loving shows.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Universe Master posted:

I want a far cry game set in a fantasy universe. Some dark wizard looking through a crystal finds a loaded arsenal on present day earth and opens a portal that sucks stockpiles of assault and sniper rifles and light machine guns and armed jeeps and all the usual far cry stuff and he hands it out to a bunch of orc followers. You're a commando dude who gets sucked in as well, and a good wizard finds you and teaches you Bioshock/Skyrim type hand weapon magic. You'll take down orks armed with AKs with either guns or magic and hunt dragons and griffons and manticores.

Metal Gear: Survive is ~TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION~ but with weird zombie monsters so that's halfway there.

Wait, you're basically wanting Call of Duty: Army of Darkness aren't you? drat, now I really want that too.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The recent Far Cry games are not really known for serious realism and believability at all times.

yeah.

The series started with Island of Dr Munroe monsters with rocket launchers strapped to them. Literally.

2 got serious.

3 was frat boy becomes batman

4 was batman with helicopters

Blood dragon happened.

There was 1 point where things got sort of realistic or close to believable. Why do people expect this series to do things it doesn't do?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

jonathan mcintosh's shtick is to react to every single game that gets attention and cry about it. if tetris came out today he's be whining about the destructive power of the phallic 4x1 as it penetrates rows of pieces to erase them

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I could see this working so far back as the '90's. Like, with cell phones and Facebook there's no way you could have a clandestine takeover of a county by religious extremists, the viral video would tank it all. But before then, if you had key members of the county authority: Sheriff, all of the commissioners, probably the biggest city's chief of police and his whole retinue, and most of the mayors or town council leaders, then sure, you could kind of quietly over time assert this power and start vanishing people from view without much hubbub.

maybe. i kinda view it like, there are tons of areas controlled by hardliner churchs/cults. lookd at the FLDS, they control entire towns and counties. and the conservative reps who are elected by them turn a blind eye to what they do and the ATF/FBI treads realy lightly these days ever since ruby ridge and WACO. yeah they arnt this open about it. but looks at the bundy fuckheads and how they just got repeated slaps on the wrists for taking over places and threatning violence.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Maya Fey posted:

jonathan mcintosh's shtick is to react to every single game that gets attention and cry about it. if tetris came out today he's be whining about the destructive power of the phallic 4x1 as it penetrates rows of pieces to erase them

Go on...

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

lol this is what bioshock infinite wanted to do and they're gonna do it better without even trying

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

tone of the cult dude reminds me a bit of Paul Dano's character in There Will Be Blood

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

They made a casca game???

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

lol this is what bioshock infinite wanted to do and they're gonna do it better without even trying

lol you're putting faith in ubisoft to not poo poo this up somehow

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Ubisoft makes good games sometimes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Maya Fey posted:

he has actualy been actually left leaning of late but then Red dead 2 got pushed back and he bitched about how awful and evil rockstar was and he got a ton of positive attention for making a meh tropes video. and plante the verge author is loving dumbasshole.

Bombadilillo posted:

yeah.

The series started with Island of Dr Munroe monsters with rocket launchers strapped to them. Literally.

2 got serious.

3 was frat boy becomes batman

4 was batman with helicopters

Blood dragon happened.

There was 1 point where things got sort of realistic or close to believable. Why do people expect this series to do things it doesn't do?

weirdly enough they all have weird "depth" to them, cept 1.

2 is a depressing game about people loving a dying central African country to death. all your missions are basically damaging or destroying any remaining infrastructure, like water purification, food stuffs, oil prediction, train yards. all the factions are basically just dickhead ex government officials armed with mercs who are basically killing each other over scraps. everyone you know is monster and then everyone dies.

3 is about a dumb douchebag who is gaslighted into thinking he is some magical savior by a bunch of natives who are using him as a expendable soldier and jizzbank for some crazy priestess whos brother(also possible lover) went nuts because of drugs and now runs a native gang who work as violent henchmen for some dickhead crime boss.

4 is some kid going back to his nepalese home and seeing it in a civil war where the dictator in charge might be the best person there. the rebels are either hindu fundamentalists who want to gently caress kids and have purity laws or woke revolutionaries who want the main economy to be drug cartels. also your dad was backwards dickfuck.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Scyantific posted:

Ubisoft is really good at making Ubisoft games, if you like to clean all the icons off a huge map then you will probably enjoy most everything they've made since 2008. If that sounds like the worst poo poo ever then you will not.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Buckwheat County Montana, in a contemporary setting with smart phones

These are mutually exclusive.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

Ubisoft is really good at making Ubisoft games, if you like to clean all the icons off a huge map then you will probably enjoy most everything they've made since 2008. If that sounds like the worst poo poo ever then you will not.

Naw. If you arent ocd and can not care about clearing them off the map its fun too.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Scyantific posted:

no its gonna be a really really lovely game but its going to effortlessly nail the religious undertones that bioshock tried to aim for in the 3 or so scripted storyline sequences this game contains, and unilaterally get 10/10 goty even though its going to use the same engine and gameplay code from the last 4 far cry games and be basically identical

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

no its gonna be a really really lovely game but its going to effortlessly nail the religious undertones that bioshock tried to aim for in the 3 or so scripted storyline sequences this game contains, and unilaterally get 10/10 goty even though its going to use the same engine and gameplay code from the last 4 far cry games and be basically identical

The game's director said that the entire gameplay model is designed to be a gigantic version of one of the outposts from the earlier games, so if what he says rings true you may only climb up and zip line off of one water tower in the whole game. Pretty groundbreaking stuff.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Metal Gear: Survive is ~TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION~ but with weird zombie monsters so that's halfway there.

Wait, you're basically wanting Call of Duty: Army of Darkness aren't you? drat, now I really want that too.

Yeah, zombies have been done to death, but going full Modern Warfare on a fantasy world would be a really new experience.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

big nipples big life posted:

the core problem with ubisoft games is the icons, it removes the suspense and uncertainty from the game world and im sorry i don't play games to be bombarded with a visually overwhelming but ultimately mindless stream of stimuli, i like suspense and uncertainty. like far cry 3 might even be a good game if they didn't literally point out every wild animal in a 15 mile radius of dense jungle with giant neon arrows and expect you to find them threatening

like they run counter to what you would expect the design goals of these games to be and the fact that its a repeated thing they do in every game betrays the fact that they have no interest in making game design decisions based on gameplay, they just churn out games to a design specification

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

Ubisoft makes good games sometimes.

They make awful games and their PC ports are awful. Not sure how they sell games in the millions. They were never a good company and UPLAY sucks dick.

Maybe Assassin's Creed 2 was good, maybe, thats it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the core problem with ubisoft games is the icons, it removes the suspense and uncertainty from the game world

agreed but you easily can just turn them off so its not really a big problem

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

the core problem with ubisoft games is the icons, it removes the suspense and uncertainty from the game world and im sorry i don't play games to be bombarded with a visually overwhelming but ultimately mindless stream of stimuli, i like suspense and uncertainty. like far cry 3 might even be a good game if they didn't literally point out every wild animal in a 15 mile radius of dense jungle with giant neon arrows and expect you to find them threatening

like they run counter to what you would expect the design goals of these games to be and the fact that its a repeated thing they do in every game betrays the fact that they have no interest in making game design decisions based on gameplay, they just churn out games to a design specification

sounds like you are the second half of what i said

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You can turn off most or all of the HUD options in 4, if I recall correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

they make the same game over and over and it's all the same tedious open world busywork poo poo with mediocre and repetitive gameplay. at this stage i wonder if it's even worth it, people actually cry when games are too long now so they might be better off working on well designed discrete levels rather than making giant empty open worlds to do 600 identical fetch quests in

• Locked thread