Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

TheBigAristotle posted:

He was a fuckin weirdo in the football thread as well. Ever hear that story of Leicester City winning the English Premier League last year on 1000-1 odds? Guess who was suddenly a fan that season? (He's not anymore, naturally)

Also he's one of these "I'm not a pedo, I just like teenage girls" types. Avoid this poster at all costs.

Is he a Chelsea fan again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Moose. Terrifying? Not really. You'd have to be in three feet of cedar swamp to even get close to one. I've interacted* with moose on like a dozen occasions, and they tend to just ignore you because you're not an immediate threat. Moose on the road are bad though.

*been relatively close to in the woods

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Javes posted:

Matt's point about the connection between gamer culture and libertarianism is interesting.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Which is so loving weird to me, because pro-consumerist ideas are antithetical to libertarian ones.
Maybe I misunderstand you, but I find that all libertarians have extremely rosy ideas about their position as a consumer in their theoretical libertopia of choice.

There's a weird pseudo-libertarianism at work in a lot of gaming culture--for example, a guy will complain that a game he perceives as "liberal" doesn't deserve to succeed because it won't succeed in the marketplace. If it does succeed, he whines about an SJW conspiracy of "virtue signaling" as the only reason people bought it. When this leads to him getting banned from a privately-owned Internet forum, he will then whine about censorship. I've seen this a hundred times.

It's an ideology that overlaps libertarianism and liberalism: God is the Market, and you pray to Him via the Internet. The Market will answer your prayers if you post enough--whether you pray for more female action movie heroes, or for video game protagonists to be brown-haired white men for the next millennium, the approach is fundamentally insane.

SMP posted:

Matt is mostly right as hell about video games but I'm still going to play them. I don't think video games are any more of a dead end than any other medium at the moment though. They might have a bigger hurdle to clear than movies/tv/books, but I think at some point we'll get to that horizon Alex claims is there. Probably after the completely collapse of the AAA industry due to untenable budgets/profit margins.
I just listened to the podcast. Doesn't he say that all art is reactionary? I get that the media industry is very liberal in its ideology, but that's pretty grim. What's the call to action there? The Internet is, in his words, a "poo poo tornado," so it's not like we can switch to consuming only the modern equivalent of zines.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What I mean is that gamers often have this pro-consumer ideology regarding companies not loving them over, and that protection only comes from solid regulations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What I mean is that gamers often have this pro-consumer ideology regarding companies not loving them over, and that protection only comes from solid regulations.

Gamers think that pro-consumer just means bigger boobs and/or jiggly boob pre-order bonuses in the games that they have to spend hundreds of dollars in microtransactions and DLC to be able to fully experience\, because 'gamers', the ones who take on the media they consume/buy as their only identity, are all stupid as poo poo.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 26, 2017

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Lord Frisk posted:

Moose. Terrifying? Not really. You'd have to be in three feet of cedar swamp to even get close to one. I've interacted* with moose on like a dozen occasions, and they tend to just ignore you because you're not an immediate threat. Moose on the road are bad though.

I've had them wander through camp, we just kind of froze and it kept going, no big deal. On the other hand one charged at my jeep as we were driving an old forest service track, it backed off after getting within a few feet, but speaks to their temperament, and it was big enough that if I was on foot it would have hosed me up super bad.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

If it's rutting season or if they have calfs, they are incredibly dangerous.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Lord Frisk posted:

https://youtu.be/xct0WYyY2jk

Serf
May 5, 2011

even a loving deer will gently caress you right up if you get close to it like a moron

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I just listened to the podcast. Doesn't he say that all art is reactionary? I get that the media industry is very liberal in its ideology, but that's pretty grim. What's the call to action there? The Internet is, in his words, a "poo poo tornado," so it's not like we can switch to consuming only the modern equivalent of zines.
I listened to this while in the middle of a tiring commute this morning so I may have misheard a few things, but I think he had to reluctantly accept the host saying that he thought that all forms of art are inherently useless. Which is really ridiculous to me, even though I almost entirely agree with his arguments against gaming.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Gamers literally believe that if there was only one digital distribution platform on PC (steam) and one console (pick you poison) they would actually have better and cheaper games. Also gamergate lmao.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
video games

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sandweed posted:

Gamers literally believe that if there was only one digital distribution platform on PC (steam) and one console (pick you poison) they would actually have better and cheaper games. Also gamergate lmao.

Yes this type of jagoff certainly haunts the video game threads.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Gamers kick rear end.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

coathat posted:

Gamers kick rear end.

Gamers suck poo poo and I love to beat them up and shove them into the girl's bathroom so the girls freak out hahaha

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/868179341246685189

Wait, holy poo poo traister is back
https://twitter.com/Bro_Pair/status/868194503781384192

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 26, 2017

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mr. Lobe posted:

If it's rutting season or if they have calfs, they are incredibly dangerous.

This goes for pretty much any ungulate

SMP
May 5, 2009

Gamers still think steam and valve is their friend.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

quote:

But was she right that she couldn’t have expressed her anger in that debate? There are plenty of people who yearned for Clinton to get mad; during the campaign, an imagined litany of Clinton’s fury entitled “Let Me Remind You Fuckers Who I Am” went viral. “Oh, I am [pissed],” she says. But as a woman in public life, “you can’t be angry for yourself. You just can’t. You can be indignant, you can be annoyed, you can be frustrated, but you can’t be angry … I don’t think anger’s a strategy.”

You mean it’s not a strategy for you, I clarify. “For me, yeah.” She pauses. “But I don’t think it’s a good strategy for most people.”

But this was an election that was, in many ways, about anger. And Trump and Sanders capitalized on that.

“Yes.” Clinton nods. “And I beat both of them.”

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Narrator: She didn't

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Zikan posted:

lmao

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm very interested in the MGS series, but frankly don't have time to play all the games and don't particularly want to play really old games. Is there a particular LP that's ideal for experiencing the first games, and any particularly good sites/threads/whatever for analysis?

Poking around online reveals this fandom stuff that seems to miss any actual analysis. Like I get that Johnny Sasaki is a joke on the concept of the invincible super-soldier, but the MGS wikia just humourlessly documents his struggles with IBS throughout the series.

The Chip and Ironicus ones have both informed discussion and high level play.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Cross came off kinda pedantic is this one. Needing to stop and over explain every joke/tweet and fight Amber over year old venison lol.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Zikan posted:

*ukelele music*

now the story of a political dynasty who lost everything and the one daugher who had no choice but to pick up their frustrated political ambitions

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Reassuring to know that even in Earth-2 where Hilldawg won, we'd still be led by a president with no firm grasp on the truth or reality.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

This is the same neurosis that gave us those bizarre "if Hillary had won" twitter accounts. It's like we're watching "Good Bye, Biden!" or something.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 26, 2017

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

"I feel GREAT!"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Deadulus posted:

Cross came off kinda pedantic is this one. Needing to stop and over explain every joke/tweet and fight Amber over year old venison lol.

I thought he was pretty good. The "Mike Huckabee!" wacky theme was enough to make the whole thing worthwhile.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nah man, it's meandering and pointless and has conversations about poetry that I learned were pretty easy to skip because I could just skim ahead to when paragraphs of dialogue stopped being a page long.

Delany can write normal books that aren't nonsense and are good, it's a shame that he only got remembered for Dhalgren.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Meandering is actually good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm very interested in the MGS series, but frankly don't have time to play all the games and don't particularly want to play really old games. Is there a particular LP that's ideal for experiencing the first games, and any particularly good sites/threads/whatever for analysis?

Poking around online reveals this fandom stuff that seems to miss any actual analysis. Like I get that Johnny Sasaki is a joke on the concept of the invincible super-soldier, but the MGS wikia just humourlessly documents his struggles with IBS throughout the series.

Metal Gear Solid is basically the poster child for telling a story in a way that couldn't be done as effectively in any other medium, so there's no LP that's ideal for experiencing any of the games

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Halloween Jack posted:

that poster chip cheezum does really thorough lps of them all and shows off as much content as you could ask for. in terms of analysis, there is basically no good critical analysis of MGS published anywhere. the book ashly and anthony burch wrote is unbelievable trash.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the gamer fantasy of libertarianism combined with consumer's rights plays exactly into the fantasy of agency games provide. Consumer's rights is a way of saying "legislation that bends towards fulfilling my individual fantasy of a world oriented entirely around me." Which is fundamental both to the libertarian ideal of young disaffected men and to the actual design goals of most video games.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
i never thought i would see people take a break from bashing capitalism to take a poo poo on consumers rights

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
the oligarch class must be dismantled, but until then, lol at anyone who wants to legislate protections for their victims

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
lmfao the whole point is that most gamers idea of consumer protections is pressuring steam to release hentai videogames without the need to crack open up the nude scenes themselves. if they actually organized around busting monopolistic control in games it'd be great. Jim Sterling at least does some of this but of course he takes massive heat from half the drat "gamer community" whenever he criticizes a zelda or something.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Gamers actively shun other distribution platforms and are constantly talking about how they want everything on Steam. I certainly sympathize because it's convenient to have all your friends on one platform that works well, but c'mon...

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Under the vegetable posted:

the oligarch class must be dismantled, but until then, lol at anyone who wants to legislate protections for their victims

No one's arguing this, ya crumb bum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Impermanent posted:

lmfao the whole point is that most gamers idea of consumer protections is pressuring steam to release hentai videogames without the need to crack open up the nude scenes themselves. if they actually organized around busting monopolistic control in games it'd be great. Jim Sterling at least does some of this but of course he takes massive heat from half the drat "gamer community" whenever he criticizes a zelda or something.

maybe if jim sterling would stop wearing an insane cartoon fascist costume people would take him more seriously