Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Potassium Problems posted:

I see it as some people built up their idea of a perfect end to the series in their head and instead of judging the episode/series on its merits, they're whining that it didn't match their fan-fiction

or... hear me out... maybe it was just a bad, rushed ending and people have legitimate criticisms, many of which have been posted already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

If anything it's the other way around, at least in this case. The ending was so unsatisfying, it's only natural to try to imagine something better. (Null Profusion's idea of a running time travel battle, for instance, is rad as hell.)

I think it was the other way around in that Genndy may have had a loose idea of how he wanted the series to end from the start, and may not have stopped to reassess it in light of the final season they actually wrote.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yo, bittersweet endings are extremely my poo poo. Salieri absolving the nutcases at the end of Amadeus is my favorite ending ever. The Devil's Backbone, The Machinist, The Lives of Others, endings like that solidify films as fantastic in my book. I wanna feel conflicted, I wanna feel bothered, I want that ambiguous feeling of sadness and satisfaction. But to make me feel those things in the first place, the piece of media has to make me feel. This was so sloppily crammed together that it made it impossible to register empathy or investment. Instead of giving me a reason to have them naturally, it just demanded the emotions of me. And in case I get the "just a kid's show" bit, Over the Garden Wall did it perfectly. :colbert:

But the ending is the single most important part of a story and if you salvage it, you salvage the story. You gently caress it up, you gently caress up the story. They done hosed it up. Still love those first three episodes but as another good said, that's all I'll ever recommend to anyone.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Das Boo posted:

Yo, bittersweet endings are extremely my poo poo. Salieri absolving the nutcases at the end of Amadeus is my favorite ending ever. The Devil's Backbone, The Machinist, The Lives of Others, endings like that solidify films as fantastic in my book. I wanna feel conflicted, I wanna feel bothered, I want that ambiguous feeling of sadness and satisfaction. But to make me feel those things in the first place, the piece of media has to make me feel. This was so sloppily crammed together that it made it impossible to register empathy or investment. Instead of giving me a reason to have them naturally, it just demanded the emotions of me. And in case I get the "just a kid's show" bit, Over the Garden Wall did it perfectly. :colbert:

But the ending is the single most important part of a story and if you salvage it, you salvage the story. You gently caress it up, you gently caress up the story. They done hosed it up. Still love those first three episodes but as another good said, that's all I'll ever recommend to anyone.

What about Episode 4? I recall that one being pretty good as well.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Fionordequester posted:

What about Episode 4? I recall that one being pretty good as well.

It was alright, but I remember watching it for the first time and noticing it was weaker than the previous three. I hoped it was a bit of a one episode lull and the next would pick back up to the previous quality. And then instead it dipped a little. And dipped a little. And, well. :(
So I guess it reminds me of the start of the slide.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
So basically, "diminishing returns"?

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I can still imagine the season turning out ok if they just had more episodes. The last three or arguably four episodes were so poorly paced.

Snipee fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 24, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I like the ending but there's already so much time paradox going on I'm surprised they went the Back to the Future route. You could argue killing Aku in the past undoes being able to kill Aku since with Ashi never existing nobody can send Jack back to the past

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Fionordequester posted:

So basically, "diminishing returns"?

Yup. Episode 4 was my gentle breeze before the whirlwind.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Jack's defeated Aku in every possible way, sword fight, fighting against him and an army, a straight up "fair" fist fight, without his sword, every possible way. Aku finally going down like a bitch was exactly what needed to happen, not some convoluted time fight with multiple Akus converging in one timefart

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah I liked how past Aku hasn't learned the lessons of himself in the future of to just RUN AWAY. It was cool seeing Jack just destroy him utterly. Everything else was lame though.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Jack and Ashi have a child. It turns out to be the Scotsman.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Nina posted:

I like the ending but there's already so much time paradox going on I'm surprised they went the Back to the Future route. You could argue killing Aku in the past undoes being able to kill Aku since with Ashi never existing nobody can send Jack back to the past

Yeah it was pretty dumb. Time travel science pretty much just "a wizard did it" levels of deus ex machina. I really like how Looper did it, where time was more like a living, messy, organism, instead of badly thought-out maths. They didn't even have to do the dumb back to the future thing, they could've just said that Ashii dies because the only thing that was ever keeping her alive was Akuu's magic.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The Guardian fakeout still aggravates me.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

To be fair, even the trailer for that episode had Jack looking down in dismay at something; so even there, there was the possibility of the Guardian fight not happening.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Somberbrero posted:

What was the fakeout? I can't remember.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Megaspel posted:

What was the fakeout? I can't remember.

The trailer hinted that Jack stumbled on his domain again, with the implication that they would duel again that episode.

Instead... Well, you saw the sunglasses.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It seems odd to even bother acknowledging him if they weren't going to reference that vision of Future Jack as an old warrior king. I mean it's easy enough to dismiss as just a possible future or something, but it'd be just as easy to have Jack head to Aku's tower to fight him there and skip the Guardian altogether.

I liked that one idea someone posted of Old King Jack trying to get past the Guardian in the past so he could get back to the future, ending with something like that would've been cool. Or doing something where he starts aging again and realizes he has to either get past the Guardian now or else defeat future Aku with his remaining time. Otherwise though just sort of wasted.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'll join in with the small group that loved the series, enjoyed the ending, really liked Ashi and found the romance sweet and enjoyable.

Every time they fought Jack always kicked Aku's rear end easily. Of course he stomped him effortlessly. Of course he went back in time. Of course there was a bittersweet ending. It was great. Loved the inclusion of the original intro too!

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I've always felt that Samurai Jack didn't really need an ending. It seemed fitting for the series to remain unresolved, except by the viewer's imagination and subtle hints.

However, although season 5 wasn't "perfect"--and if an ending really did need to be made--I think it worked. It had been so long that any Samurai Jack conclusion was doomed to suffer from Half-Life 3 syndrome.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
An interesting idea for the ending they could have gone with is the instant Jack goes back into the past, the show cuts to a animatic, like the intro, only it's the Scottsman narrating how Jack finally defeated Aku and the price it came with at the loss of Ashi. We then see that a younger Scottsman is regaling the tale to his children, who are questioning the validity of the story. "How could you know you were the one to help him if the future with Aku never happened?", "What did he do after Ashi dies?". He then rebuffs their accusations without explanation, "you call'n your own father a liar?" and states the he believes even without Aku's influence certain things would come to pass, and the universe could not deny something as incredible as his presence, all while a montage is shown of how the future is without Aku's reign. When one of the children again asks him to finish the story, he says that its enough story time for one day and he'll continue tomorrow. The final shot is still in the future,. but it shows a past vision of Jack under the tree with the ladybug like the actual ending.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

TerminalRaptor posted:

"How could you know you were the one to help him if the future with Aku never happened?"

"Celtic Magic!"

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
So I binge watched the season in two days. I really loved it, and while I loved the ending, I really really wish it was either an extended episode or that there were more of them in the season. It felt extremely rushed to do the entire final fight scene in one standard sized episode.

Also I adore Ashi and I wish she didn't have to gooooo. Why can't Jack be happy without something crappy happening to him, just this once? I was hoping she would live since Aku is some kind of cosmic being outside of regular laws, or that the Cosmic Gods that gave him back his sword would grant him some sort of leeway since, you know, he spent fifty years attempting to destroy the ultimate evil of all reality and space with little help. The last scene was very sweet though, and I enjoy it's Gurren Lagann-ness.

Overall, I really love Samurai Jack and I'm glad Genndy got to finish it. He has a bit of a weird things with his shows and them ending how he wants them to...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't think this has been posted yet but here's a shot by shot comparison of Aku sending Jack to the future in episode 1 vs. him doing the same in the final episode. He's so much smugger in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUjin3X9j1M

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
At this point, I think what I'd like best is to get word from people who worked on it what the design of the final episodes was like. I share a lot of the opinions on people who felt it wasn't a well done ending, but I'm curious why the choices and writing turned out like it did. Think we'll get an exit interview appearing anytime soon?

Also, what have other critics said about the series ending, or was it overlooked since it was a special event?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I thought the ending was good. Would've liked more action from Akushi but it wrapped things up pretty nicely.
"What you're back already!?" is an amazing punchline to the series and I wouldn't be surprised if they had that in mind from the very beginning.

TwoPair posted:

I don't think this has been posted yet but here's a shot by shot comparison of Aku sending Jack to the future in episode 1 vs. him doing the same in the final episode. He's so much smugger in 2017.

Man the art looks like garbage back then compared to now. Except

this shot was a bit better in the original imo

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 26, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TwoPair posted:

"WHAT? YOU'RE BACK ALREADY?!" never fails to make me laugh.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dolash posted:

It seems odd to even bother acknowledging him if they weren't going to reference that vision of Future Jack as an old warrior king. I mean it's easy enough to dismiss as just a possible future or something, but it'd be just as easy to have Jack head to Aku's tower to fight him there and skip the Guardian altogether.

I liked that one idea someone posted of Old King Jack trying to get past the Guardian in the past so he could get back to the future, ending with something like that would've been cool. Or doing something where he starts aging again and realizes he has to either get past the Guardian now or else defeat future Aku with his remaining time. Otherwise though just sort of wasted.

I have my issues with the current ending but it's still better than letting a throw-away shot at the end of an episode 13 years ago dictate how the show should actually end. Blind adherence to The Canon above all else is storytelling poison, especially for something that for the overwhelming majority of its existence wasn't actually serialized in and meaningful way.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
"What're ya mopin' about for sonny jim?"
"You? But the future has changed!"
"Nah, the portal's still here! You can come back and visit any time! And yer wee lass is here too but she''s not a ghost like I am!"

Then it ends with a dance party in the future with synthesizer music and David Bowie turns into an owl. End credits.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just binge watched the entire season in a day. Good poo poo! A+ show.

B+ ending though. The whole "Wait so did we just wipe out an entire timeline?" factor kind of puts a cloud over Jack's victory. And honestly I'm surprised that he made it back at all. I thought his arc was going to be that he beats Aku in the future and in doing so closes the way home. However the battle teaches him to love his weird new dystopian home and in the end he finds his place there. In fact I'm kind of sad that didn't happen. Won't stop me from buying this on blu ray though.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 27, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm really glad that none of you actually worked on this series

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The least Jack could have done was drag Scotman's ghost back with him to be the best man at his wedding. :colbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Time for the marathon!

With the benefit of hindsight, I can say that the series definitely should've starred the emoji dogs instead of Jack and Ashi.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's been a couple months. I had forgotten that the first couple episodes of this season were like an entirely different show in terms of visual quality.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that when Jack kills the first sister, she was probably originally storyboarded to get beheaded? The way it's animated seems like it's supposed to be a lot more than just a slit throat.

Strobe posted:

It's been a couple months. I had forgotten that the first couple episodes of this season were like an entirely different show in terms of visual quality.

Same, the visual storytelling is way different in these earlier episodes.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Mad Jack is so much cooler there than he is when he gets banished. Missed opportunities. :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Wii U and the Switch gets a --"
"Come on, for the Switch."

Ice cold, Tom.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Sweet fancy Jesus, those episodes were good.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It really does feel like a completely different series started with this episode.

Ah well. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

They clearly frontloaded all the best material but people who act like rest of the season was just poo poo garbage are really silly.

• Locked thread