Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mitsubishi is probably gonna try to cash their "favor" regardless of what side we're on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Yooper, is piracy something that can be done in engine? That is, can we radio unprotected ships and order them to our harbour instead of bombing them?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I bet it's the kind of thing you could do with the scripting system, though I have no idea how much effort it would take to make a piracy script or if it would work that well.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Crazycryodude posted:

I bet it's the kind of thing you could do with the scripting system, though I have no idea how much effort it would take to make a piracy script or if it would work that well.

Yeah that was basically my thought. Just curious.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Guys who didn't want a hundred pounds of diamonds now want to literally steal boats from poor fishermen.

I like the cut of Native Corp, what with their being callous deporters and mass murderers, and the effect it's having on our mission goals. Could we start painting some disturbing native-esque blood red imagery on our planes?

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

TildeATH posted:

Guys who didn't want a hundred pounds of diamonds now want to literally steal boats from poor fishermen.

One side has a fleet of unmanned vessels, the other one is led by ted nugent. I see no moral quandry here.

Its either piracy or bombing the poo poo out of them, frankly the latter option is preferable.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

orcbuster posted:

Yooper, is piracy something that can be done in engine? That is, can we radio unprotected ships and order them to our harbour instead of bombing them?

Yes, it could be scripted. Once a set of conditions are met you could easily swap the sides.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I mean we made 50 million more dollars by not taking the diamonds so :colbert:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If the fishermen don't want to get bombed, they should be on strike, not acting as tools for their capitalist oppressors. Maybe piracy is what they need to awaken a little class consciousness. We're doing them a favor, really.

Actually, are the Mitsu fishing workers unionized? Getting them to go on strike is honestly not the worst way to take them out of the theater without excess murder.

Coiler121
May 26, 2017

Crazycryodude posted:

I'd say deny it unless they've somehow got a video of us taking a large sack labeled $$$ while explicitly saying "Yes hello Mr. Bulgarian Mobster we will fraud the bote for you".

As far as we can tell, all the hard evidence they have is that our Saab was emitting for a little bit right around the time when the bote blew up. It looks suspicious, to be sure, but the immediately obvious response is that they had their AWACS bird up in sneaky mode at the same time so what they hell were THEY doing, hmmm? It's hardly outside the realm of possibility that we were just popping up for a midnight peek at Dos Santos/the Free State and the timing was unfortunate. Everything else is circumstantial, and any even halfway decent PR team will be able to go on CNN and muddy the waters enough that the worst-case damage is a reputation for being a bit shady looking that one time.

A good plan would be to do the legwork now and have Jack/our PR guys get out ahead of it and have a counter-scandal or something ready. Pay some random peasant in former FS territory to say he heard jets heading towards the ocean an hour or two before the bote was destroyed and get it to air BEFORE SMARF gets their dirt up, or at least at roughly the same time. Again, it can even be a blatant lie or unsubstantiated hearsay, just as long as it muddies the waters enough during the critical first news cycle.

I agree with this general strategy, but not on the exact details. I wouldn't launch a complete, 100% denial just in case they do have incontrovertible evidence. Admit to having planes "in the air" (note the vagueness), and prepare a last-ditch "it was an accident/misidentification" style excuse in the event they do release effective proof showing it was us who did it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

orcbuster posted:

One side has a fleet of unmanned vessels, the other one is led by ted nugent. I see no moral quandry here.

Its either piracy or bombing the poo poo out of them, frankly the latter option is preferable.

The unmanned vessels are all in the shop because of the EMP.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh, yeah, we can't pretend that we weren't up there at all, they have hard irrefutable proof that at the very least our Saab was in the air and emitting. But we sure as hell don't have to admit we killed the boat unless they've somehow got hard proof for that, too.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

TildeATH posted:

The unmanned vessels are all in the shop because of the EMP.

Good, harder to pirate unmanned and insured ships. (Though I suspect their premiums have skyrocketed recently.)

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Mitsubishi is probably gonna try to cash their "favor" regardless of what side we're on.

Agreed. The point I was ineptly trying to make was that when that time comes, it's better to be with the group where acquiescing won't have a high probability of pissing off our employers (since Mitsubishi will likely want Mitsuhashi to succeed, so if we're against them they'll probably want us to do something that helps Mitsuhashi and hurts the other guys - and since we'd be employed by the other guys, well...). Whereas the other options carry a non-zero risk that no matter what we do - doing Mitsubishi a 'favour' or telling them to get hosed - things are going to go poorly.

It's entirely possible that I'm jumping at shadows and bigging up a danger that simply doesn't exist. I'll happily admit I'm wrong if need be. But it's worth at least considering the risks, right?

Soup Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 26, 2017

Coiler121
May 26, 2017

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh, yeah, we can't pretend that we weren't up there at all, they have hard irrefutable proof that at the very least our Saab was in the air and emitting. But we sure as hell don't have to admit we killed the boat unless they've somehow got hard proof for that, too.

This might just be my cautious, worst-case self talking, but we should assume that they do. The tone seemed very confident that they had the dirt.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

Coiler121 posted:

This might just be my cautious, worst-case self talking, but we should assume that they do. The tone seemed very confident that they had the dirt.

Or we could spin it around and say: "Well our sources told us you had some birds in the air and we just acted accordingly....."

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
See, if we'd gone for Big Fella we wouldn't have this problem.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Soup Inspector posted:

Agreed. The point I was ineptly trying to make was that when that time comes, it's better to be with the group where acquiescing won't have a high probability of pissing off our employers (since Mitsubishi will likely want Mitsuhashi to succeed, so if we're against them they'll probably want us to do something that helps Mitsuhashi and hurts the other guys - and since we'd be employed by the other guys, well...). Whereas the other options carry a non-zero risk that no matter what we do - doing Mitsubishi a 'favour' or telling them to get hosed - things are going to go poorly.

It's entirely possible that I'm jumping at shadows and bigging up a danger that simply doesn't exist. I'll happily admit I'm wrong if need be. But it's worth at least considering the risks, right?

I dunno, it wouldn't surprise me if some Mitsubishi exec tries cashing our favor to advance his career at some Mitsuhashi Exec's expense.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I dunno, it wouldn't surprise me if some Mitsubishi exec tries cashing our favor to advance his career at some Mitsuhashi Exec's expense.

Now that's a fair point I hadn't considered (or more accurately had been giving short shrift). I 100% trust Yooper not to force us into a "gotcha!" situation, but I don't think he'll give us an easy ride either - and I don't think he mentioned Mitsuhashi and Mitsubishi's links for the hell of it. My gut feeling is that the unpleasant choice scenario is more likely if we plump for a non-Mitsuhashi employer. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Coiler121 posted:

That's just how a corporation (or really, anyone) talks when they're trying to blackmail you. Getting scared and worrying about what they MIGHT have is exactly what they want us to do, because that allows them an order of magnitude more leverage than what they actually have.

What they actually have is a record that our Saab was emitting near our airbase for about half an hour. Nothing more. They know that it's not effective blackmail on its own, because if they go public with it, a random goon with no formal training can spin it enough that it won't particularly hurt us, much less what people like Jack can do. So they send us an ominous, vaguely worded letter implying that they might kinda sorta possibly maybe have more to get us scared and thinking what if they DO?, but it's all bullshit headgames and we can safely ignore it.

If they want to call in something relatively minor, fine what the hell let's humor them. But if the favor is too much, we can tell them where to stuff it without too much fallout. Certainly not company ending fallout, at least.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 26, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Soup Inspector posted:

Now that's a fair point I hadn't considered (or more accurately had been giving short shrift). I 100% trust Yooper not to force us into a "gotcha!" situation, but I don't think he'll give us an easy ride either - and I don't think he mentioned Mitsuhashi and Mitsubishi's links for the hell of it. My gut feeling is that the unpleasant choice scenario is more likely if we plump for a non-Mitsuhashi employer. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Honestly I figure it'd probably be something similar to the DeBeers mission, going out of our way to accomplish something.

Plus we can always tell Mitsubishi to go screw, even if we're working for Mitsuhashi.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Crazycryodude posted:

That's just how a corporation (or really, anyone) talks when they're trying to blackmail you. Getting scared and worrying about what they MIGHT have is exactly what they want us to do, because that allows them an order of magnitude more leverage than what they actually have.

What they actually have is a record that our Saab was emitting near our airbase for about half an hour. Nothing more. They know that it's not effective blackmail on its own, because if they go public with it, a random goon with no formal training can spin it enough that it won't particularly hurt us, much less what people like Jack can do. So they send us an ominous, vaguely worded letter implying that they might kinda sorta possibly maybe have more to get us scared and thinking what if they DO?, but it's all bullshit headgames and we can safely ignore it.

If they want to call in something relatively minor, fine what the hell let's humor them. But if the favor is too much, we can tell them where to stuff it without too much fallout. Certainly not company ending fallout, at least.

Right. We'd know if they were radiating, which limits what they can have, especially considering which radars could've seen the Kfirs and who ended up with them (mostly bombs and us, NOT the free state). We could say that we had a transient past our land radar and we scrambled the Saab to keep track in case they went for a terrain following strike on us.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Is it technically conceivably possible that they could somehow know? Yeah, I guess, but it would mean us having an organization riddled with corporate spies or the Kfirs being fitted with bugs good enough that our tech guys missed them or some other equally implausible thing. No matter what, if SMARF can somehow prove we frauded the bote we've got much larger problems than whatever they want us to do, so don't worry too much.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Voting Closes in 2 hours. At the moment we are at an almost tie.

If you change a vote, please do it after this post.

If there is a tie I'm going to give my dog two treats. One with a BSNC on it, the other with Mitsuhashi on it. Whichever he eats first wins.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Is it technically conceivably possible that they could somehow know? Yeah, I guess, but it would mean us having an organization riddled with corporate spies or the Kfirs being fitted with bugs good enough that our tech guys missed them or some other equally implausible thing. No matter what, if SMARF can somehow prove we frauded the bote we've got much larger problems than whatever they want us to do, so don't worry too much.

It's conceivable. They'd be able to get, not even eyewitnesses, just people who heard a bunch of jets take off. Shortly later, the boat blows up. The owner of the boat also happens to be the guy who runs the Bulgarian PMC, and they switch sides to us. There's a bit of smoke wafting from the gun here.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
VOTE MITSUHASHI

BOMB THE US

KILL THE FISHSTICKS

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A Vote for Mitsuhashi is a vote for Boatloads of cash for buying botes. :sureboat:

A vote for Natives is a vote for SLAUGHTERS AND MASS GRAVES :colbert:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Quinntan posted:

It's conceivable. They'd be able to get, not even eyewitnesses, just people who heard a bunch of jets take off. Shortly later, the boat blows up. The owner of the boat also happens to be the guy who runs the Bulgarian PMC, and they switch sides to us. There's a bit of smoke wafting from the gun here.

Lawyers call that "circumstantial evidence" and it's not nearly as convincing in court. The PR guys can spin it all away for the news, too. Just off the top of my head, we had planes taking off because our guys on the ground tipped us that the FS had their Wedgetail up so we were just being cautious, the Bulgarians surrendered because who the hell wouldn't when there are 24 SDB's pointing at you and the war's all over but the crying.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Yooper posted:

If there is a tie I'm going to give my dog two treats. One with a BSNC on it, the other with Mitsuhashi on it. Whichever he eats first wins.

If you do, please videotape it. Decisions by daugury should be shared.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Blugh ok, fine. Switch from natives to mitsu

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You're breaking my heart here Slaan.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yooper posted:

Change my vote to whatever ensures a tie.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A Vote for Mitsuhashi is a vote for Boatloads of cash for buying botes. :sureboat:

A vote for Mitsuhashi is a vote for SLAUGHTERS AND MASS GRAVES :colbert:

ftfy

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Slaan posted:

Blugh ok, fine. Switch from natives to mitsu

This puts us at a tie. So, if you want to see dogmocracy...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Seriously we're all that stands between a good dogge getting two treats.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh damnit, I can't be the one who lets that Good Boy miss out on two treats.

Switching votes to whatever is necessary for dogmacracy

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Shoot give that dog two biscuits.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The two options I like in contest and a dog gettin' treats? Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Don't do it. Don't your dare do it. I know there is someone out there waiting to swoop in and deprive that good doggie of his two treats, but don't you do it.