Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Not liking the volleyball format but otherwise I like it

The ball gets stuck in the net every other game and no one can score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Arms is gonna be polarizing I think

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

HyperPuma posted:

arms is awful

Yeah 45 or so minutes in and this feels like rank rubbish

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I played arms at bar among lots of friends and they all told me how cool I was and how cool the Switch was and they wanted to play Twintelle.

Needless to say I won't be purchasing ARMS.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
ARMS is really fun, and the volleyball mode is surprisingly good. I can't wait for the full game and see what sorts of crazy tech develops.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I don't get this at all and I'm out on it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My apple watch is counting this as excercise lmao

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Like I had fun playing it, I actually liked the waggle, but between the left Joy-Con doing whatever it wants and how molasses slow everything is, I don't think I'm gonna bite. Maybe if there's like a turbo mode or something

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Cross posting from the ARMS thread

Dr. VooDoo posted:

After a bunch of matches ARMS owns and is literally boxing. Here's some tips I've learned to be a better punchman!

-Try and get your opponent to make the first punch. Just like in real boxing ARMS has a standoff and a flurry of punches when someone makes a mistake. Counter that punch and you can put your opponent on the defensive where a lot of people over compensate and throw wild punches. Which leads us to...

-Plan your punches! Waggling randomly will get you maybe a win against someone who is playing their first match but anyone with a few matches under will punish the poo poo out of you for it. Each punch needs a reason and purpose for why it's thrown which then leads us to..

-Alternate your punches. Throwing a punch too quickly after another will leave you with both arms extended and completely exposed in the worst way. A smart opponent will use it to get jabs in on you or break your extended coils which leaves you with no recourse. This also goes for throwing. Only use a grab when you're sure you're gonna connect. Not only can they counter punch a grab but you have a much longer recovery time from a grab then a punch

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Arms seems cool but I wonder how much depth is going to actually be there versus it just kind of being a flowchart of gameplay/an objective best character and loadout. It feels pretty slick for sure, but I can't decide how much I actually like it so far.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm undefeated in arms volleyball

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im defeated in regular volleyball

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's gonna take a while after the full release for us to get a sense of how it's balanced. It was a little frustrating with waggle but I'm enjoying it a lot with regular controls. Dodging punches and hooking them past obstacles or other punches feels really good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

Bamco released it's yearly presentation thing for the next fiscal year.

Notably, it says that they have Taiko, a Tales game, and Dragonball Xenoverse 2 planned for release on the Switch by the end of the fiscal year (March 2018.)

Keep in mind this is for Japan, so localization of those things might take longer (and lol at the US getting a Taiko game.)
also update on this, the annual tales festival (it's just a thing where they get a bunch of tales series VAs on stage and have them do skits and announce new games and sell merch, basically) is june 2nd - june 4th, so the tales game for the switch will absolutely get announced there.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I loving rule at volleyball and won every maych, I went 1-4 in singles, 1-0 in teams, and 0-3 in free for all's. But man, that was fun. Could really feel myself getting better too as I grasped the movement better.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

acksplode posted:

It's gonna take a while after the full release for us to get a sense of how it's balanced. It was a little frustrating with waggle but I'm enjoying it a lot with regular controls. Dodging punches and hooking them past obstacles or other punches feels really good.

Yah I think next test punch I'm going to go all regular controller. You using the pro?

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Zelder posted:

Yah I think next test punch I'm going to go all regular controller. You using the pro?

I'm using the joycons in handheld mode since I'm not at home right now

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'll try it again tomorrow with the grip controller but so far I am not impressed

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
I'm using the regular controller and I am extremely good at ARMS, mostly because this lobby doesn't realize throws aren't that good

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You can make your own music in the lobby GOTY

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

How do you even play without the motion controls and being able to hook? Cause the motion controls did nothing but piss me off

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
The tag team fight is Very Bad

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah I tried my best but couldn't get the motion controls to work. Joycons in grip is the way to go, sadly!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
This game owns the motion control on it is tight and probably the optimal way to play. Plus my girlfriend loves the hell out of it and she was dominating fuckers while I got stomped and carried us in 2v2. Went from a "yeah I'll buy it at some point" to a day1 buy

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Golashes posted:

The tag team fight is Very Bad

I don't mind the team ones but 1v1v1 is pretty bad since two people end up ganging up on the third player a lot. It's only decent on the stage with the tubes.

I like Ribbon Girl and Ninjara the most so far. The slapamanders are fun.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

How do you even play without the motion controls and being able to hook? Cause the motion controls did nothing but piss me off

You can hook just fine without motion controls. Move the left analog stick left or right before throwing your punch

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Master Mummy, aka "the grim creeper"!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Arms is actually good

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Tag mode is good if you want to feel a stranger completely and utterly betray you

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
ARMS Super Quick Hot Take: (using Motion Joys)

Fun. Definitely buying.

Some tense last second one sliver of health left wins...

Anything with more than 2 people is just dumb chaos and it kinda fucks poo poo up.

3 man free for all, like, how do you even choose who you want to be attacking?? Mostly someone would get behind me and I'd just get donkeypunched to death.

Same issue with team fight. Can't really choose who to bomb on (that I can see.)

Sometimes you do well and you feel amazing. Sometimes you get (literally) beaten to every punch so nothing ever connects... and that can be frustrating.

Overall, though... super loving like it!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Helix is ridiculously good if you can get the timing down. He can dodge entire flurries extremely easily and shield is good.

To hook without motion controls just tilt the control sticks

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can make your own music in the lobby GOTY

Well it's competing with Splatoon there.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Arms is... good???

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Did anyone figure out how the secret way to change their characters color? (saw a tip about it in the help section)

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Zelder posted:

Arms is... good???

:yeah:

Millions fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 27, 2017

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kashuno posted:

Helix is ridiculously good if you can get the timing down. He can dodge entire flurries extremely easily and shield is good.

To hook without motion controls just tilt the control sticks

When I saw that holding Dash/Jump would cause him to shrink/expand, everything suddenly clicked. But Min Min is still the best.

ARMS...is good. I can only imagine what a treat local multi is.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Zelder posted:

Tag mode is good if you want to feel a stranger completely and utterly betray you

Tag seems to have devolved into just using the projectile ones and sitting in the back, because there's no other way to coordinate. They need to give the rope more slack, otherwise it just forces everyone to use the most conservative tactic

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Ended with 65 points but started late. Starting to mull over entering ARMS as a professional e-sporter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Spellman posted:

Did anyone figure out how the secret way to change their characters color? (saw a tip about it in the help section)

Apparently you click in the left stick, point it in a cardinal direction, then press A. I didn't get a chance to confirm.

• Locked thread