Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Losing 10% damage from cleric stance literally doesn't matter because we have a huge bucket of new content and new abilities and the rebalancing of everything at the same time. Your healer DPS nerf is noise.

Tanks being changed back to STR is a slightly different issue. If they don't put STR on tank accessories, it means tank damage will not scale as well as every other role as item level increases, because the only DPS gains from accessories will be on substats. With tank damage not scaling as well, it means you have to try harder to keep enmity as item level increases, forcing you to trade more dps for enmity. Yes, we're getting a dps stat in place of parry now, but I kind of feel like tenacity is not going to be good enough to outweigh having no mainstat growth on the right side.
There's a few things they can do to fix this without walking back the STR change. They could just dump STR onto tank accessories, or make materia effects scale with item level (thus if you slot STR VI into a better ring, it gives more STR). In theory they could make tank DPS stance swap vit/str, but as far as we know DRK still doesn't have an actual DPS stance so that seems unlikely.
Of course, if tenacity is stupidly overpowered it might be a wash, but this doesn't seem likely either.

If they're doing what I kind of suspect, and find a way to make tanking in DPS stance a DPS loss through new mechanics, then enmity at least probably won't be an issue. But the lack of damage scaling is still unpleasant.

I also wonder if tenacity is going to be strong enough that the difference between a tank who is stacking it and one who isn't will be noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I wonder if they'll repair Foundation. It's pretty wrecked, but the dragon war hasn't been a thing for a few patches now. It could use some Revenant's Toll / Idyllshire treatment. Except that no one will go to it anymore, soon.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm playing through metal gear rising again and I"m really looking forward to being a Samurai next month you guys

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kithyen posted:

Everyone should experience the bone zone

So what you're saying is once Stormblood drops healers should rescue the tank back to the center

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Klades posted:

Tanks being changed back to STR is a slightly different issue.

Counterpoint: 6 fell cleaves per Berserk.

Tenacity also adds damage like you said, but we don't know what the stat scaling will be nor what the new abilities will be.

I don't think damage will go down very far in either case.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Obligatum VII posted:

but what oGCD stuff? There are very few oGCD healer damage abilities that I recall... Unless you're just referring to GCDs not needed for healing. Or they gained a bunch of oGCD damage abilities in Stormblood and I missed it.

other way around--being able to weave damage spells with targeted ogcd heals is going to be hugely important for healer play, especially if you're healing someone other than the main tank (so <tt> doesn't work), double especially if <mo> macros remain clunky in stormblood, triple especially for scholars.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Macros in generally need so much love to be reliable / useful for things outside of Virus/Apoc/EfaE, etc. I use one for mouseover with AM but I'm ever fearful of it.

At least we'll always have crafting and meme macros.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

nuru posted:

Macros in generally need so much love to be reliable / useful for things outside of Virus/Apoc/EfaE, etc. I use one for mouseover with AM but I'm ever fearful of it.

At least we'll always have crafting and meme macros.

Removing the queuing issues from macros would do the game a lot of favors in terms of targeting woes and the like.

Edit: And make double oGCD weaving much lesser of a clusterfuck. I swear I can never manage it without clipping slightly. Am I doing something wrong? Is my connection just not good enough?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Here's the PS4 preorder theme for Stormblood, its cute but I think I'm gonna stick to the HW theme
https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_JP/status/867922042997284864

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Klades posted:

Tanks being changed back to STR is a slightly different issue. If they don't put STR on tank accessories, it means tank damage will not scale as well as every other role as item level increases, because the only DPS gains from accessories will be on substats. With tank damage not scaling as well, it means you have to try harder to keep enmity as item level increases, forcing you to trade more dps for enmity. Yes, we're getting a dps stat in place of parry now, but I kind of feel like tenacity is not going to be good enough to outweigh having no mainstat growth on the right side.
There's a few things they can do to fix this without walking back the STR change. They could just dump STR onto tank accessories, or make materia effects scale with item level (thus if you slot STR VI into a better ring, it gives more STR). In theory they could make tank DPS stance swap vit/str, but as far as we know DRK still doesn't have an actual DPS stance so that seems unlikely.
Of course, if tenacity is stupidly overpowered it might be a wash, but this doesn't seem likely either.

If they're doing what I kind of suspect, and find a way to make tanking in DPS stance a DPS loss through new mechanics, then enmity at least probably won't be an issue. But the lack of damage scaling is still unpleasant.

I also wonder if tenacity is going to be strong enough that the difference between a tank who is stacking it and one who isn't will be noticeable.

tenacity is almost certainly going to scale poorly, and will probably only be melded if you somehow find a piece of gear that is capped on both crit and det. we're supposed to be excited about tenacity because it's guaranteed survivability in place of parry's possible survivability, as well as a damage increase, but much like the stat that tenacity is pretty much copying (det), it will almost certainly not be very good. if tanks receive no damage from vit, or substantially more from str, all we're going to see is a return to pre-3.2 tanks, where they stat allocate str and meld it onto their tank accessories. i don't think we're going to be getting no damage at all from right-side mainstats because it's walking back a very deliberate change they made and have never seemed unhappy with. who knows, maybe penta-melded crafted gear will be bis for tanks again, but i don't think they want that and i don't think much of the playerbase would be very happy with it.

it's almost impossible for them to make dps stance tanking a dps loss in most cases (drk and war) because drk's stances are not exclusive and no mechanic that doesn't kill a warrior can be a dps loss in dps stance (war tank stance offers no mitigation, just an HP increase).

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Obligatum VII posted:

Removing the queuing issues from macros would do the game a lot of favors in terms of targeting woes and the like.

Edit: And make double oGCD weaving much lesser of a clusterfuck. I swear I can never manage it without clipping slightly. Am I doing something wrong? Is my connection just not good enough?

The only ability that's explicitly designed for double weaving between GCD's is Mudra inputs. Everything else will clip to some extent, moreso depending on latency.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's intentional that the lack of going on the action queue is a tradeoff for being able to tie commands together.
Also additional action macros are bound to become more popular with the new Role Ability system.

Klades posted:

It also depends on if they are putting tanks back to 1-1 STR scaling, since there's a lot of ambiguity there. But between finding out what our Attack Power scaling is going to be, how much Tenacity adds to damage and how our combos are getting tweaked there's just as much 'have to wait and see how things turn out' for Tanks as is healers.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
Historically they've done a super poo poo job of balancing tanks so my trust in their ability to not just make the game somehow more awful to play as a tank is quite low.

Here's to hoping, I guess. (Not like I won't be a tank forever anyway.)

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Oh, neat! Shows how great my reading comprehension is.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

nuru posted:

I wonder if they'll repair Foundation. It's pretty wrecked, but the dragon war hasn't been a thing for a few patches now. It could use some Revenant's Toll / Idyllshire treatment. Except that no one will go to it anymore, soon.

I was just wondering the other day if they'll do something about the Ala Mhigan refugees in Ul'dah too. My guess is that they leave both alone, at least for a while. It opens up a whole can of worms since there will still be new people running content in those areas, and it's just time taken away from actually making new content.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

it's almost impossible for them to make dps stance tanking a dps loss in most cases (drk and war) because drk's stances are not exclusive and no mechanic that doesn't kill a warrior can be a dps loss in dps stance (war tank stance offers no mitigation, just an HP increase).

Surely the HP increase plus the healing boost counts as mitigation.

Here's something I'm wondering, though: do defiance/deliverance affect heals over time with the same "snapshot" logic that divine seal and currently-existing cleric stance do? Like, if a warrior is in Defiance, and I Regen him, and then he swaps to Deliverance, does he still gain 20% more regeneration than he's supposed to? Or is each individual healing tick modified separately?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I'm sure there will be minor annoyances with rescue like overzealous healers pulling you out of long cast aoes when you still have plenty of time to get a few more hits in but for the most part it will probably be poo poo like pulling people into the puddles to get a stack of zombification during weeping city or yanking folks into the right puddles during the owl thing in great gubal hard. Healers will probably be annoyed just as badly and nowhere near as amusingly by people blaming them for not using rescue when they get hit with something they should have dodged or known about.

Also I hope they can use it early enough to force the tank to keep the dragon from brayflox from sitting in the poison because I swear, every single time..

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So how does that Khloe crafting stuff work?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

So how does that Khloe crafting stuff work?

You turn in the stuff she wants once a week and get scrips in return. Every so often you rank up and get a bit of story and then she gives you more scrips

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

Here's something I'm wondering, though: do defiance/deliverance affect heals over time with the same "snapshot" logic that divine seal and currently-existing cleric stance do? Like, if a warrior is in Defiance, and I Regen him, and then he swaps to Deliverance, does he still gain 20% more regeneration than he's supposed to? Or is each individual healing tick modified separately?

Yeah, Defiance and Convalescence both snapshot regens. Defiance and Thrill of Battle also snapshot Stoneskin.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ferrinus posted:

One of the can of worms potentially being opened with the Role system is that now WAR's will have access to rampart (in addition to more Inner Beast usage.) Which means that the baseline of 'Wars in Deliverance won't get punked by a single tankbuster' might get changed to where they will die in one Tankbuster without being in Defiance or using Rampart.

For OT's they can throw in more Hydra-style 'split damage between two tanks or die' style mechanics in order to encourage more defensive OT's (in addition to Shirk-as-tank-Shadewalker usage.)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

tenacity is almost certainly going to scale poorly,

Why so?

Since its tank only they can balance it around tank damage and not worry about a DPS stacking it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It has to be worse for damage than determination, otherwise there'd be no reason to take determination instead.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

homeless snail posted:

Here's the PS4 preorder theme for Stormblood, its cute but I think I'm gonna stick to the HW theme
https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_JP/status/867922042997284864

That looks kinda neat. I wasn't even aware there was a Heavensward theme. I suppose this unlocks when the game does? Or is it Japan only?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I think I found my RDM leveling glamour. Only needs level 52 for the shirt.

Its even got a hip flask for helping cope with all the bullshit I'll run into.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

That looks kinda neat. I wasn't even aware there was a Heavensward theme. I suppose this unlocks when the game does? Or is it Japan only?
Pretty sure its global, I think the HW theme unlocked a bit before launch. Here's what it looked like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhThl57dF4

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fister Roboto posted:

It has to be worse for damage than determination, otherwise there'd be no reason to take determination instead.

Not necessarily. The damage scaling on tenacity is another knob they can tweak if they find that tank damage is too low or too high. Making det a real lovely stat isn't really particularly a problem since for most jobs they already only want 2 specific stats to begin with and try ever harder to get rid of the ones they don't need.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The HW pre-order theme is alright, but the music doesn't loop quite right and it drives me nuts :negative:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think I found my RDM leveling glamour. Only needs level 52 for the shirt.

Its even got a hip flask for helping cope with all the bullshit I'll run into.

Rainbow shirt is an excellent choice for all highlanders.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wait, how is Path any different than before?

Have googled poo poo, apparently Storm's Path gives 20 IB instead of 10.

Okay, so, adding that to the rotation I worked out, it looks like:

* Preload to 90.
* Heavy Swing, Maim, cost-halver, Berserk (80)
* FC, FC (30)
* Path (50)
* FC, FC (0)
* Infuriate (50)
* FC, FC (0)
* Fracture (?)
* Berserk falls off.

Assuming that Vengeance and Raw Intuition are still in the game and provide IB, you could probably squeeze in one extra FC by moving cost-halver and Berserk in front of Maim, weave the oGCDs in, and fire off three FCs at the end for seven. Omit Fracture in that instance.

IB still gives 10% crit in Deliverance, and Maim and Storm's Eye have supposedly had their effects swapped, so you probably want to do this:
  • get to 70.
  • Heavy Swing, Maim (80), Storm's Eye (90), Heavy Swing, Maim (100).
  • Berserk, Release the Beast (80), Storm's Path (100) [1 GCD].
  • FC x2 (50) [3 GCD].
  • Infuriate (100).
  • Fracture. [4 GCD]
  • FC x4 (0) [8 GCD].
Should fit with enough SKS, lag permitting.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 27, 2017

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Really wish I could buy that theme without having to preorder!

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

What kind of reasoning is this

There's never going to be a reason to take determination as long as crit scales with itself in an even remotely moderate way.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd love to see a thing where all the stats have some kind of built-in diminishing returns such that you get best value from raising whichever substat you have least of rather than just avoiding The Bad One like the plague.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
we're talking about stat weights. there's no reason to take det in almost all situations right now, but it's still a better stat than parry.

but really, the whole idea of stat weights doesn't really make a whole lot of loving sense in ffxiv because there's at best two sets in any given ilvl bracket, and they're statted differently, and you just pick whichever one has crit.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

IB still gives 10% crit in Deliverance, and Maim and Storm's Eye have supposedly had their effects swapped, so you probably want to do this:
  • get to 70.
  • Heavy Swing, Maim (80), Storm's Eye (90), Heavy Swing, Maim (100).
  • Berserk, Release the Beast (80), Storm's Path (100) [1 GCD].
  • FC x2 (50) [3 GCD].
  • Infuriate (100).
  • Fracture. [4 GCD]
  • FC x4 (0) [8 GCD].
Should fit with enough SKS, lag permitting.

right now every accepted warrior breakpoint gives you 9 gcds in a berserk. your rotation is better, though, because you're getting the crit on your fracture. i don't think i've noticed very much functional difference between a crit-boosted fracture and a vanilla one, though.

also, warrior might be losing fracture.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

One of the can of worms potentially being opened with the Role system is that now WAR's will have access to rampart (in addition to more Inner Beast usage.) Which means that the baseline of 'Wars in Deliverance won't get punked by a single tankbuster' might get changed to where they will die in one Tankbuster without being in Defiance or using Rampart.

For OT's they can throw in more Hydra-style 'split damage between two tanks or die' style mechanics in order to encourage more defensive OT's (in addition to Shirk-as-tank-Shadewalker usage.)

That's assuming that Inner Beast still has damage reduction on it; with WAR having access to rampart now I wouldn't be shocked if they just made it a bigger self heal or soemthing.

On another note: Did they say during the live letter anything to the effect of "if you don't see a skill on a hotbar that doesn't mean it's gone"? I don't remember it at all but there are people saying that was the case.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

right now every accepted warrior breakpoint gives you 9 gcds in a berserk. your rotation is better, though, because you're getting the crit on your fracture. i don't think i've noticed very much functional difference between a crit-boosted fracture and a vanilla one, though.

also, warrior might be losing fracture.

Yeah, but I'm accounting for wiggle room with animations on oGCD stuff potentially eating into part of a GCD. :(

I'd be surprised if WAR loses the only DoT they have, though.

Also my rotation assumes Berserk doesn't give IB, since the tooltip translation thread on reddit didn't specify whether or not it does and the job action video Berserks at 100IB.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Klades posted:

On another note: Did they say during the live letter anything to the effect of "if you don't see a skill on a hotbar that doesn't mean it's gone"? I don't remember it at all but there are people saying that was the case.

Yes. Or they at least said it in reference to specific skills that came up at the time, instead of a blanket statement.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FaintlyQuaint posted:

What kind of reasoning is this

There's never going to be a reason to take determination as long as crit scales with itself in an even remotely moderate way.

Well I think there would have to be some kind of tradeoff for the damage reduction tenacity provides, but who loving knows what they're planning.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Klades posted:

That's assuming that Inner Beast still has damage reduction on it; with WAR having access to rampart now I wouldn't be shocked if they just made it a bigger self heal or soemthing.

They did, in the context that it has likely been moved to a cross class skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Hi is this the Shirt of the Divine Hero/Rainbow Shirt on a highlander appreciation station?

• Locked thread