Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Thanks, I'll take a look. Just need to get to grips with the controls. I'm guessing the macro system has some way of binding things? The lack of minimap is really throwing me off too!

My in game name is Qeryn, but I'm not online at the moment.

Not to complicate poo poo further, but if you setup the external windower software you can add a mini map plugin.

http://windower.net/
Plugin is called FFXIDB

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
The minimap plugin is absolutely amazing. You can even see hidden popup monsters. Which made farming iolite from those drat antlions much easier.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
poo poo gearswap looks painful to learn.

I spent 3m and got my welfare i119 JSE dagger, its so nice!

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Just so I'm sure. The Shantotto II alter ego for sale for 300 login points is the super-saiyan Shantotto I saw when I logged in for a few minutes a year or so ago, right?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Roflan posted:

Just so I'm sure. The Shantotto II alter ego for sale for 300 login points is the super-saiyan Shantotto I saw when I logged in for a few minutes a year or so ago, right?

Yep, she's one of the best trusts in the game and if you have a chance to get her you take it.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

keep it down up there! posted:

Not to complicate poo poo further, but if you setup the external windower software you can add a mini map plugin.

http://windower.net/
Plugin is called FFXIDB

I wish I could use Windower. It does NOT get along with my system.

Looking for some skill up location suggestions. I am currently around 158 on marksmanship for Cor, maxed out at 99.

I have the skill + head, body, hands, legs, feet, and I have a some ranged acc rings. Suggestions?

hagie fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 27, 2017

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

hagie posted:

Looking for some skill up location suggestions. I am currently around 158 on marksmanship for Cor, maxed out at 99.

I have the skill + head, body, hands, legs, feet, and I have a some ranged acc rings. Suggestions?

I dunno if times have changed but worms in abyssea were good for that with the right atmas.

edit: Also you could level other jobs and work on those kinds of skills. Dumb I know but better than standing in a spot for hrs.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

hagie posted:

I did 1-398 in like 4 hours. Just eat some Montagna and do Hunter's roll and go to Abyssea. You wanted the lowest damage gun and bullets you can get and put on any regen atma you have (there are free ones next to Horst in Port Jeuno) and make a macro that is "/ra <wait 8>" repeated 6 times (change the 8 if it's shooting too fast or too slow based on your gun.

I think i went to Abyssea Altepa and did the ladybugs around your level, then moved to the Manticores until about 350. At that point I just went to Cirdas caverns with my trusts and did quickdraws and weapon skills to cap.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

hagie posted:

One important thing about Windower is to turn off the built-in windowed mode functionality from the vanilla game. poo poo gets hosed if the game's trying to be pulled into a window in two different ways.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Of course SE would end this free campaign in the middle of a holiday in the US :smith:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

hagie posted:

If the anniversary event is still up, go to one of the starter citys and get both the moogle and sakura trusts. Moogle boosts magic skill gain rate and sakura boosts physical skill gain rate.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
Is there someone on Asura that I could get a linkpearl from later this afternoon? Sorry if this has been answered, the first post doesn't mention any names.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Bender posted:

Is there someone on Asura that I could get a linkpearl from later this afternoon? Sorry if this has been answered, the first post doesn't mention any names.

Post your name. I have been keeping an eye out for people requesting pearls

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

Majumbo posted:

Thanks. Name is Horc.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Majumbo posted:

Lladre same as here.
I am on EST evenings.

Still don't have a 99 and I have been playing off and on for years.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm online now.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Playonline is just crashing on me, anyone else having this problem?

Edit: Got it! It had something to do with my two monitors. I unplugged one and it works.

Somehow it thinks my screens have switched, and it refuses to load on my main monitor

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 31, 2017

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I was playing during the free period with my brother, and we had a great time. We can't afford the actual monthly payment, though, especially since Stormblood's coming out soon for FFXIV, so I'm just wondering how often the free periods usually occur? Can I expect to play again in a month or two?

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx

Gloomy Rube posted:

I was playing during the free period with my brother, and we had a great time. We can't afford the actual monthly payment, though, especially since Stormblood's coming out soon for FFXIV, so I'm just wondering how often the free periods usually occur? Can I expect to play again in a month or two?

Think it is around two times a year. Around Crhistmas and the anniversary, not sure though.

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx
I also started playing on Asura and had a blast, by the way. I forgot how much I like the horizontal gearing of jobs and just having support jobs such as Bard, instead of just dps/tank/heal.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Is Bard still sought after in the endgame parties? I unlocked it the other day and was curious if it would be worth leveling.

I'll still level it eventually regardless but was wondering if it's worth immediate effort.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Bard has made a comeback, but it takes a lot of work on acquiring gear to really be highly desired to toot your flute. Ideally you'd want to have mythic dagger, Gjallahorn, maxed out Durabala and aeonic flute. Oh and to be tops, you will need a 500 million necklace ontop of all that.

A lot easier to hit 900 skill on GEO. Corsair is also cool as hell and has more DD and solo capabilities and fits in dang near any set up. You also get to be a pirate, which is a definite plus.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 4, 2017

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Good to know! Right now I am doing RDM/SCH (50/46) and while it has been fun I am looking to mix it up. I'll peek GEO/COR later this week.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
if you want to be useful for everything though, go smn.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I had originally played at release, banged my head against the game for 4-5 months and gave up. So in early 2016 I picked up "FINAL FANTASYŽ XI: Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition" on Steam for about $10, because I heard they had planned on gently sunsetting the game in such a way that they're going to do maintenance stuff but otherwise not be adding any new content or expansions. Did they actually do that? Is the package I picked up earlier everything that I need to experience the entire game in its current state?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Yup. As long as you got it after Seekers came out, you're 100% set for the full game. The additional story stuff added afterwards (Which contains an amount of content between an add-on and an expansion) was totally free.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Tsurupettan posted:

I had originally played at release, banged my head against the game for 4-5 months and gave up. So in early 2016 I picked up "FINAL FANTASYŽ XI: Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition" on Steam for about $10, because I heard they had planned on gently sunsetting the game in such a way that they're going to do maintenance stuff but otherwise not be adding any new content or expansions. Did they actually do that? Is the package I picked up earlier everything that I need to experience the entire game in its current state?

You have everything. Notably this includes a bunch of mini-expansions of dubious quality. hmu on steam if you need information on what to do as a terrified newbie as I just figured that all out the hard way.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

I am usually around on Asura 3-8 PM EST off and on. Nowhere near 99 yet but I just spent the past week or two also getting things figured out. If you need help in-game on basics just PM me here or in-game (Barium)

Late Edit: Also new people should really look into getting the Rhapsody of White as soon as possible. It gives you an extra trust slot, more xp, slashes teleport prices both when using gil or tabs, and more. It's great!

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Rhapsodies_of_Vanadiel_Mission_1-1

The Bee Pollen is expensive but easy to farm up.

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 5, 2017

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

frodnonnag posted:

if you want to be useful for everything though, go smn.

Why are SMN so sought after?
(I'm still not 99 so I don't know anything about end game)

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Is Bard still sought after in the endgame parties? I unlocked it the other day and was curious if it would be worth leveling.

I'll still level it eventually regardless but was wondering if it's worth immediate effort.

Let me just say that as far as soloing old content/missions I have never had more fun in this game than playing BRD/DNC with a group of Trusts. So much utility and always something to do in battles instead of just engage and auto-attack.

I would buff my Trusts with haste/attack songs, and occasionally Pianissimo a Ballad onto my healer. Pull mobs with Elegy, a Requiem, and begin meleeing with dual-wielded daggers. Finale is good for removing buffs from mobs (it's a Dispel), and Lullaby is great for interrupting mobs, or the AoE version if you get links or need to disengage and zone. With /DNC you also get more haste (samba), single/AoE heals (curing/divine waltz), Erase (healing waltz), and flourishes.

Chocobo Mazurka + Spectral Jig (sneak/invis) are great for getting around areas quickly and avoid aggro.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Lladre posted:

Why are SMN so sought after?
(I'm still not 99 so I don't know anything about end game)

Because se balances things like a toddler with vertigo, everything fell into place to make smn turn almost any fight in the game into a 30s zerg with astral flow and astral conduit.

frodnonnag fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 5, 2017

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Cuchulain posted:

You have everything. Notably this includes a bunch of mini-expansions of dubious quality. hmu on steam if you need information on what to do as a terrified newbie as I just figured that all out the hard way.

do you just play every mmo in existence?

wow i can't believe i'm asking someone else this because i'm usually the guy that people ask this of

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

I played at launch for about a year or so and because I hate myself I kind of want to come back and play again (now that my understanding everything is primarily soloable). I'm just going to start over with a new account because I remember none of my original account details. Does the ultimate edition or whatever I need go on sale with any frequency? I know it's 30 right now but for a game this old I was expecting to catch it on sale in the 10-20 range.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

You sadly just missed a sale where it was $13 :smith:

It usually goes on for $20 or less during the big steam events. So you could wait for the summer sale. It's kinda random otherwise since the anniversary sale is over.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Tsurupettan posted:

do you just play every mmo in existence?

wow i can't believe i'm asking someone else this because i'm usually the guy that people ask this of

Only the dead ones. :v:

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Is there a way to have auto-targeting reliably work? Lately if I pull a group of enemies, it will rarely move my attention to another one of the enemies for me after my Trusts and I have killed one of them. It's a minor issue, but it's annoying. I have auto-targeting turned on, I just wanted to know if there was a cool macro or a Windower add on for it.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Is there a way to have auto-targeting reliably work? Lately if I pull a group of enemies, it will rarely move my attention to another one of the enemies for me after my Trusts and I have killed one of them. It's a minor issue, but it's annoying. I have auto-targeting turned on, I just wanted to know if there was a cool macro or a Windower add on for it.

Its based on you having hate and having the mob in your characters field of view.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

frodnonnag posted:

Its based on you having hate and having the mob in your characters field of view.

Hah, thanks. Probably does not help I play in first person.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

As a general rule no, MMO situational awareness is kinda designed around a third-person view, so autotargeting aside it's not doing you any favors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Well the good news is I accidentally slipped into first person and have been too lazy to scroll back past day or so. Guess I have a good enough reason to actually do that now.

If it was WoW or any other MMO i'd been changing it super fast but for basic leveling in low levels i've just hit peak lazy.