Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

him and musk and gates and all the rest of our woke zillionaire overlords both buy into some Great Man myth and think that describes them and they can single-handedly solve society's ills from the top down
i'd be kind of okay with them using the absurdism of capitalist philanthropy to like build schools or something instead of funneling their wealth into privatizing education and suffocating the last bastions of labor unions in this country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post Alone
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, top hats are part of the official academic dressing at Harvard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_regalia_of_Harvard_University

quote:

Today, formal morning dress including top hats, and often gloves and canes, is worn by officials at Commencement who are not wearing gowns.

lol. also check this out

quote:

At various times in history, dress at Commencement has been the subject of controversy, such as the occasion, printed on June 10, 1970 in The Harvard Crimson, when the Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts reportedly appeared in ancient dress some 35 years prior:

Gov. James Michael Curley appeared in silk stockings, knee britches, a powdered wig, and a three-cornered hat with flowing plume.

When University marshals objected to his costume, the story goes, Curley whipped out a copy of the Statutes of the Massachusetts Bay Colony which prescribed proper dress for the occasion and claimed that he was the only person at the ceremony properly dressed.

Truly a goon of his day.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Frijolero posted:

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/868188723342696448

lol ingrate Abuela dismisses people that voted FOR her

They didn't vote for her hard enough, duh.

Shear Modulus posted:

i wish people would stop writing about hillary clinton

It's hard to miss her when she just won't leave.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

pretend i did the lemon meme with hillary in a yellow dress

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/patprobably/status/868253955960307712

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

I want to know if he has no-one in his life who can tell him this to his face, or if he does but just ignores them.

Any success he enjoys will be participation-trophy affirmative action of the worst kind.

he's the rich owner of a marketing company

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

She only outperformed Obama in households making 250k a year.

Mission accomplished, especially how 120k less people came out to vote in Milwaukee vs Obama's elections.

The Static Noise Machine Strategy paid off!

Lastgirl posted:

Good Job Team

Not sure if this or LIKE US ON FACEBOOK will be his campaign slogan.

Rand alPaul has issued a correction as of 01:14 on May 27, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

i'd be kind of okay with them using the absurdism of capitalist philanthropy to like build schools or something instead of funneling their wealth into privatizing education and suffocating the last bastions of labor unions in this country

yeah, the woke zillionaire overlords are apparently also dumb in that they think capitalism is good and can do good things instead of being an evil cancerous rot.

as you said, most of the time capitalist philanthropy actually entails transparently cynical whitewashing of ordinary business ends (making political influence-peddling look good by putting money in a politician's foundation rather than their pocket or PAC, apple "donating" a bunch of ipads to LA schools to build their sales to education, zuckerberg donating internet access so that he can harvest all the data of everyone in the world)

but at times you wonder if these people are so caught up in all-encompassing collective insanity of modern society that they sincerely think that "charity" that happens to make them filthy rich is actually good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rand alPaul posted:

Not sure if this or LIKE US ON FACEBOOK will be his campaign slogan.

lmao zuck fuckerberg was probably inspired by hillary's campaign message of "visit my website"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

interesting facebook post i saw:

https://www.facebook.com/sylvanaqua/photos/a.332916656839641.1073741829.332425060222134/1036321936499106/?type=3&theater

quote:

A message to Charlottesville about Lee Park from your local Black farmer:

I know some folks are really feeling themselves about this whole Love Trumps Hate counter-rally to Richard Spencer's punch-worthy shenanigans in Lee Park. I'd like to appreciate it, but frankly I just don't.

I've lived in several cities and visited many more before Charlottesville. I like this town for its natural beauty, it's small size, the friendliness of its people, and its food. But folks, here's something else: Charlottesville is by far the most aggressively segregated place I've ever lived in or visited. And that seems a strange thing to have to say about a town that hosts a public university.

I say "aggressively" for two reasons. One, because of how assertive police (and the citizens who summon them) are here with racial profiling. It got so bad in 2014 - 2015 that I stopped renting farmland on estates where I could be easily seen from the road, and I stopped making food deliveries into wealthier neighborhoods because of how often police would "happen by" and sometimes even question me five or ten minutes after I got a strange look from a passerby (usually someone jogging, but occasionally someone in a car). I'm not a paranoid kinda guy, but this happened way too often to be a coincidence.

It isn't Richard Spencer calling the cops on me for farming while Black. It's nervous White women in yoga pants with "I'm with Her" and "Coexist" stickers on their German SUVs.

Second is the sheer degree of cultural appropriation going on with businesses in the city proper. It's little things - e.g. shops and other businesses incorporating wide swaths of hiphop culture into their branding while having not a single Black owner, partner, employee, or vendor. And those businesses are KILLING IT here. This is a town where Blackness advances White-owned brands and subjects Black-owned businesses to inspection by law enforcement.

Do you really think that problem comes from people like Richard Spencer?

Check out C'Ville Weekly's Instagram feed when you get a moment, and try not to notice that the few depictions of Black people are limited to sports, singing, criminal justice, or single parenthood. White people, meanwhile, are represented as political activists, chefs, cogs in the gig economy, musicians, dancers, people who get married, visual artists, songwriters, architects, landscapers, thespians, artistic directors, wedge-heel-wearing rugby players, dog lovers, farmers, firefighters, and people who play with their kids in cul de sacs.

Richard Spencer is not the editor of C'Ville Weekly.

Truth is, as a Black dude, I'm far less bothered by the flag wavers in this picture than this town's progressives assuming its race problem has nothing to do with them. The former is a visual inconvenience. The latter could leave my daughters without a father.

So please, put down the candles and instead ask yourself: why is my city like this? Why is life like this for Black people in my wonderful city? The answer is a lot closer to home than Richard Spencer or Lee Park.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Z U C K Z O N E

Is it possible for talented individuals to have pursuits other than a lifetime in politics ?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

lmao zuck fuckerberg was probably inspired by hillary's campaign message of "visit my website"

Great job team!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Man Musk posted:

Z U C K Z O N E

Is it possible for talented individuals to have pursuits other than a lifetime in politics ?

talented? who?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

hillbots admitting the campaign sucked is a good first step imo :shrug:

i don't think a hillbot made that picture...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lolling how the pic tries give Dread Abuela a heroic pose

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Man Musk posted:

Z U C K Z O N E

my understanding is that the three other worthy pursuits are the FIRE sector, elite technology companies, and doctor (not nurses though)

yeah i agree

these are the exact same white moderates king and malcolm lamented who support black liberation in theory, but in practice act as barriers

today they might have watched Get Out, enjoyed it, and completely missed the point

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shear Modulus posted:

Years from now we'll find out that Hillary's entire campaign was a ruse to generate page views.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this is so drat good and should get the spot of that new NYT opinion hire

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hill is mentally ill.

:thumbsup:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain_Maclaine posted:

They didn't vote for her hard enough, duh.

Just lol if you didn't cast two votes for Abuela.

Shinjobi posted:

Hill is mentally ill.

:thumbsup:

Sociopathy is a disorder, not an illness. Please don't be an ableist.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

well at least we got this outta that hillary hagiography, so i guess i can't be too mad about it

https://twitter.com/bretstephensnyt/status/868237430167662592

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Frijolero posted:

Just lol if you didn't cast two votes for Abuela.

when hillary decided to get republicans to vote for her instead of democrats she forgot that she needed to get people who hadn't voted for dems before up to speed on the Soros MultiVote system. more disastrous incompetence from the hillary campaign

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/868276081534611456

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Left's greatest problem with Liberals is that they make the "President of High Noon Strategies" not sound like a complete loving dipshit on primetime television

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lastgirl posted:

hillbots admitting the campaign sucked is a good first step imo :shrug:

i mean she lost, qed

like i wasn't aware this was up for debate

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/867887527176417280

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I thought the raise the wage act was a piece of neolib garbage because it raised a dollar a year instead of raising it all the way right now

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

well at least we got this outta that hillary hagiography, so i guess i can't be too mad about it

https://twitter.com/bretstephensnyt/status/868237430167662592

bret stephens sure is deplorable

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

UHD posted:

I thought the raise the wage act was a piece of neolib garbage because it raised a dollar a year instead of raising it all the way right now

no the neolibs saying "vote for us in 2018 and we'll pass this*crosses fingers*" is neolib garbage tho

remember the last time they pulled that? fool me once...

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

UHD posted:

strawmen are no match for lava queen Tulsi

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

i wish people would stop writing about hillary clinton

I don't think any other failed Democratic candidate has maintained this much of a stranglehold on pop-culture for this long after the election before

like, everybody had forgotten about Kerry by Nov 10th, and Gore was a non-entity until he became the face of the climate movement several years later

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Adlaimania never really ended

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Joementum posted:

Fake news

It ended when he was devoured by the SuckZoneEater and forgotten by the rest of the world

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

If Hillary showed up in public with a hole in her shoe she would have lost the $250k+ vote.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/868286482636828672

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

loquacius posted:

I don't think any other failed Democratic candidate has maintained this much of a stranglehold on pop-culture for this long after the election before

like, everybody had forgotten about Kerry by Nov 10th, and Gore was a non-entity until he became the face of the climate movement several years later

lol if you weren't a deanbro

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*glares out window into the deepening darkness and tries to shut out the horrible sound of a beating heart emanating from the floorboards under which ive hidden an Edwards 2008 campaign sign*

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Howie Would Have Won

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i actually agree with zuck on an existential level here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

logikv9 posted:

lol if you weren't a deanbro

I was a libertarian in 2004, but thank god I couldn't put it in practice because I was 17

• Locked thread