Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ecavalli posted:

Makes sense to me. Magnum PI was one of America's biggest cultural trends during the time period in which Rescue Rangers was in development. If you're going to spoof more mature entertainment with mass appeal via a kids cartoon show in the early 90s, Magnum PI is a no-brainer.

Disney actually did do a kids cartoon version of Magnum PI:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Wheat Loaf posted:

Disney actually did do a kids cartoon version of Magnum PI:

I actually really liked that show. They managed to translate every single trope from cop-shows to that weird school life.
There was a criminal schoolboy who they couldn't convict, because his father was the Canadian ambassador.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 21, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cant cook creole bream posted:

I actually really liked that show. They managed to translate every single trope from cop-shows to that weird school life.
There was a criminal schoolboy who they couldn't convict, because his father was the Canadian ambassador.

It's a cartoon that did a Silence of the Lambs parody episode where, instead of kidnap and murder, the plot involved bathroom stalls being tagged by a rogue graffiti artist, and the Hannibal Lecter stand-in they consult with is a kid who was once the ultimate graffiti artist ("Randall the Vandal") who, after Fillmore brought him in, was placed in "a permanent state of detention" and prohibited from having access to anything he could write or draw with.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Fillmore had a Die Hard episode. It was a good show.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I remember about Sailor Moon was that all the adverts for it made it out to be a kind of Dragon Ball Z action show, because Cartoon Network got DBZ and it was hugely popular and everyone else decided they wanted a piece of it (I remember Nickelodeon doing exactly the same thing with this other show called CardCaptors).
I might be wrong on this, but I'm pretty fairly sure that CN picked up Sailor Moon for Toonami when it started shifting away from its 'Remember these 80s shows you liked' mode. The original syndication run stalled out about a dozen episodes before the end of the second half of Sailor Moon R -- Rini doesn't go all Dark Lady, no Wiseman coming up, etc. CN's ratings for the reruns were good enough to merit finishing up the R series, when were highly anticipated thanks to the Save our Sailors online group. Toonami had the benefit of Pokemon priming the anime pump, as well as a more suitable timeslot, and the appearance that they gave half a poo poo about the series.

After CN saw how well Sailor Moon did, they brought over DBZ a few months later and worked to finish the dub, as the syndicated run stopped at right about the Goku/Reccoome fight.

Kids WB! turbofucked Card Captor Sakura since they thought anime = ratings. Much like with the original Sailor Moon run, the network didn't really know how to handle the property.

And over at Fox, they thought Vision of Escaflowne was an appropriate get for their FoxKids block. :lol:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FilthyImp posted:

And over at Fox, they thought Vision of Escaflowne was an appropriate get for their FoxKids block. :lol:

gently caress, I remember that. They got up to the episode where a naked doppelganger gets suffocated in molten metal, and presumably the censors just gave up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Begemot posted:

gently caress, I remember that. They got up to the episode where a naked doppelganger gets suffocated in molten metal, and presumably the censors just gave up.
I don't remember it lasting at all. They had a bunch of wonderful promos for it as Escaflowne... presumably they were pitched something like 'high school girl gets transported to a fantasy realm where the boy she meets is an angel/robot pilot' and then found it was some dark and confusing anime as all hell thing.

It just quietly disappeared, as if from some fevered dream.

In L.A. at least, pokemon was syndicated. It was actually given the Sailor Moon Death Slot (weekdays at 7:00) but it managed to overcome the fact that 90% of its audience was at or on their way to school that early because of the game hype.

Fox Family ended up doing pretty well with their pickup of Digimon.

And to bring it back to good/bad comic art, the side effect of Sailor Moon/ DBZ floundering their first go was the burgeoning birth-gasps of the US Manga market.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Billy Tucci's first look at the new Shi comic.

Is pretty.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is Gillian Anderson as Bowie in American Gods. It looks like a Jamie McKelvie piece irl.

McKelvie is one of my favorite artists, I love his clean lines and flat palette. I just wish it was easier and affordable to get hands on some of his artwork.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 25, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm glad Gillian is still getting fun roles.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

This is Gillian Anderson as Bowie in American Gods. It looks like a Jamie McKelvie piece irl.

McKelvie is one of my favorite artists, I love his clean lines and flat palette. I just wish it was easier and affordable to get hands on some of his artwork.

Yeah, when I saw that pic I immediately thought of Lucifer from The Wicked + The Divine, who's also inspired by Bowie (although more toward the Thin White Duke end of things).

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Hey Arnold, Ed3 and All the disney shows were pretty good though.

All Grown Up was an obvious cash grab (and mediocre) in hind sight.

Rocket Power was pretty bad if only because Otto Rocket might be the most insufferable animated protagonist ever.

Never really watched Braceface. Honestly dont know how it got past its first episode with such a flimsy premise ("teen has braces, how will she adapt to life?!"). Wasnt it produced by Alicia Silverstone or some poo poo like that? That and that My Dad is a Rock Star (which was exec produced by Gene Simmons of all people) were so terrible. Dont let celebrities make cartoons is my takeaway.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

prefect posted:

https://twitter.com/vincentdonofrio/status/865424030710415361

Vincent d'Onofrio is a good Twitter follow, btw.

Wow, I never realized it was the Law and Order: CI guy playing Kingpin. Jesus that's good acting, when you can't recognize the actor.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

He was also Private Pyle in Full Metal Jacket. And the bad guy in Men in Black. The man has a hell of a range.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've been a big fan of Ron Frenz since he was on Amazing Spider-Man back in the day so it was a pleasant surprise when I began reading the first Eric Masterson issues of Thor and found it had the creative team of Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz.

Thought this was a great panel, from Thor #393.

And a shot of Daredevil for good measure, from the same issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ron Frenz is awesome and vastly underrated. I'm still salty that he got paired with an incompatible inker when he drew Superman.

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask
Man, I've never gotten used to all the bold letters in American comics.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hip Flask posted:

Man, I've never gotten used to all the bold letters in American comics.

I really don't like it unless the character is meant to be very obviously yelling that particular word, which should be rarely employed. The number of comics (webcomics in particular) that seem to just bold any old random words in the middle of a sentence does my head in. Even if it's just highlighting the word and not meant to represent it being literally emphasised by the character, it seems incredibly insulting to the reader, like they can't pick out the important words in a sentence.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's almost always the words that would be emphasized in a regular spoken conversation. Some people are bad at it like sometimes people are bad at every other part of the comic process but it's not like it's inherently a bad or nonsensical thing

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I like it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My adamantium claws go through anything like paper.

My psychic knife is the focused totality of my psychic ability. My teke can smash mountains.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Internet Wizard posted:

He was also Private Pyle in Full Metal Jacket. And the bad guy in Men in Black. The man has a hell of a range.

And he was Thor! :haw:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

:stare:

I had no idea that was him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's that from?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

zoux posted:

What's that from?

Adventures in Babysitting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Because of that film, every time a fan casting for an Avengers film came up people jumped up and down screaming that it should be Vincent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Internet Wizard posted:

I'm glad his health issues didn't end his acting career completely. It was touch and go for a while.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dick Trauma posted:

I am losing my loving mind about this

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Dick Trauma posted:

I saw that movie a dozen times as a kid and never, ever would've guessed that was him. Wow. :stare:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rhyno posted:

Because of that film, every time a fan casting for an Avengers film came up people jumped up and down screaming that it should be Vincent.
The inexorable march of middle age has made him more of a match for Volstagg, alas.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
My thought process during these last few posts:

Internet Wizard posted:

He was also Private Pyle in Full Metal Jacket.
Uh, duh.

Internet Wizard posted:

And the bad guy in Men in Black.
No poo poo.

Dick Trauma posted:

:aaa::supaburn::aaaaa:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Finally, being alive in the eighties has proven useful. :toot:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sometimes the bolded is awkward, like it's on the wrong words, but that Thor panel is done right. The way I look at bolding in lettering is that it's a cross between emphasizing the words the way they'd be spoken and highlighting key words or phrases.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Lobok posted:

Sometimes the bolded is awkward, like it's on the wrong words, but that Thor panel is done right. The way I look at bolding in lettering is that it's a cross between emphasizing the words the way they'd be spoken and highlighting key words or phrases.

Zelda bolding.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wasn't he also the bad guy in Jurassic World?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Open Marriage Night posted:

He was in it, I have no idea if he was the bad guy

He was also the bad guy in the visually gorgeous but otherwise dull movie The Cell.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

Yes.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

More important than his acting abilities, imo, is that d'Onofrio seems to spend 90% of his day on Twitter, thanking fans for their compliments and answering their questions.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
VDO has so many great roles on his resume. Two of my favorite: he was one of the dumb cops who kicks off the plot in Strange Days, and he was Robert E. Howard (!) in the greatly underappreciated biopic The Whole Wide World. He was also a great Orson Welles in Ed Wood, and he was the the guest star of one of the best episodes ("Subway") of on the best TV series ever made (Homicide: Life on the Street).

What a great actor. Hell of an impressive range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

More important than his acting abilities, imo, is that d'Onofrio seems to spend 90% of his day on Twitter, thanking fans for their compliments and answering their questions.

Really? That's awesome.