Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

He's their top spymaster and recruiter Ambassador to the US so clearly there's lots of really good and legit reasons to speak with him and forget/omit those meetings when legally required to disclose them.

It's not like "the Irish are white people and not negroid monsters" is something that WASPs just all accepted immediately either. Yes it'd take years but it'd also allow a lot of awful and "I'm not racist, but" Hispanics to embrace the GOP when they otherwise wouldn't. I mean you already see the foundation for it with native born hispanic citizens who see immigrants and refugees as subhuman scum. Or the whitewashing that some people attempted for Zimmerman when he murdered Treyvon Martin.

The main reason it likely won't happen soon (if ever) is because the last decade or so has seen conservative racism towards Hispanics skyrocket, and Trump's only accelerated it even more. That doesn't mean it's impossible and sooner or later that push will happen. The GOP just needs the right face(s) for it. Like if Rubio wasn't a hopeless moron he'd have been a prime candidate for that push.

All told Asians are probably the better target for the GOP. They aren't European but their voters rely heavily on stereotypes and they could probably run with "quiet, hard-working people if a bit boring" to get the base online. Of course they'd have to get by the white supremacy to get there so even that might not be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

The Glumslinger posted:

He probably still is

How many brain cells do the Trumps have all together?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

You guys are thinking that this Kushner thing matters. Classic mistake.

Go gently caress yourself.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

If these guys had just waited till they were in office to do this, would there have been any problem with this?

It doesn't seem like the worst thing to have a back channel by itself. But, doing it before taking office and with the specter of collusion is incredibly dumb.

Edit: but I am thinking about a back channel to have a candid conversation if needed. There is probably no good reason to have one the IC isn't supposed to know about.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 27, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

The Glumslinger posted:

He probably still is

haha that's probably true.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Cabbit posted:

If Christie manages to put both Kushners in jail I will buy that rear end in a top hat a drink.

I hope you mean the biggest diet soda you can get at 7-11.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

PhazonLink posted:

I hope you mean the biggest diet soda you can get at 7-11.

The small time crime of loving with the NJ transportation seems quaint these days.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I propose we have the forums autochange Jared Kushner to "GOOD KUSH 🙏"

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

I know..."it's not treason because we aren't at war." But a lot of states have their own versions of treason laws, sedition, etc. even if nobody has ever once been charged for the crime there. And I would love to see a bunch of states charge Trump and crew with crimes, at which point federal pardons don't mean poo poo. Heck, in some states it'd be a death penalty case. (ex. statutes, CA, WA, FL)

A guy can dream.

Edit: Haha, all the GOP right now:

WA RCW 9.82.030
Misprision of treason.

Every person having knowledge of the commission of treason, who conceals the same, and does not, as soon as may be, disclose such treason to the governor or a justice of the supreme court or a judge of either the court of appeals or the superior court, shall be guilty of misprision of treason and punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars, or by imprisonment in a state correctional facility for not more than five years or in a county jail for up to three hundred sixty-four days.

follow that camel!! fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 27, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Deadulus posted:

If these guys had just waited till they were in office to do this, would there have been any problem with this?

It doesn't seem like the worst thing to have a back channel by itself. But, doing it before taking office and with the specter of collusion is incredibly dumb.

Edit: but I am thinking about a back channel to have a candid conversation if needed. There is probably no good reason to have one the IC isn't supposed to know about.

Well, for one thing, if the President wants to have a candid conversation with the Russians he can just pick up the appropriate secure line. Doing it via unofficial contacts is just asking for things
to be less secure than they should be. I thought Trump said something during campaign about what should be done about people who get sloppy with opsec....

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hollismason posted:

So what are the odds Puerto Rico becomes a state? Cause I am reading that there is a really big push for that right now.

Puerto Rico kinda doesn't have a choice at this point; they do not have the money to continue their current territorial status.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Well, for one thing, if the President wants to have a candid conversation with the Russians he can just pick up the appropriate secure line. Doing it via unofficial contacts is just asking for things
to be less secure than they should be. I thought Trump said something during campaign about what should be done about people who get sloppy with opsec....

Yeah plus this is a back channel that the Russian government and FSB would know about but the CIA and NSA were supposed to be ignorant of. However it looks like the American IC has been tracking this from the beginning.

What is the innocent explanation for that lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Grapplejack posted:

Puerto Rico kinda doesn't have a choice at this point; they do not have the money to continue their current territorial status.

Well they kind of don't have a choice either way because even if they vote for statehood it's up to congress to ratify.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

OddObserver posted:

Yeah but he isn't Emailing while Woman.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Holy gently caress http://www.wweek.com/uncategorized/...men-passengers/

quote:

A man riding the MAX in Northeast Portland fatally stabbed two passengers who tried to stop him from hurling racial and anti-Muslim insults at women on the train, witnesses tell WW's news partner KATU-TV.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's not like "the Irish are white people and not negroid monsters" is something that WASPs just all accepted immediately either. Yes it'd take years but it'd also allow a lot of awful and "I'm not racist, but" Hispanics to embrace the GOP when they otherwise wouldn't. I mean you already see the foundation for it with native born hispanic citizens who see immigrants and refugees as subhuman scum. Or the whitewashing that some people attempted for Zimmerman when he murdered Treyvon Martin.

My mother, who was Irish/Italian and raised in Louisiana and was pretty racist in her younger years, would not believe me when I told her that both the Irish and Italians were not considered white people, not even very long ago. Made her super mad :argh:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
After some reflection I have realised what this administration reminds me of. Justified. They are season villains from the TV programme Justified. Top to bottom it's Dewey Crowe in a suit.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Flesh Forge posted:

My mother, who was Irish/Italian and raised in Louisiana and was pretty racist in her younger years, would not believe me when I told her that both the Irish and Italians were not considered white people, not even very long ago. Made her super mad :argh:

Mad how exactly? I feel she could be mad for a number of reasons. And did she learn anything from it?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well they kind of don't have a choice either way because even if they vote for statehood it's up to congress to ratify.

It would be kind of a dick move to deny them, I think, even if it would shift the senate. I'm pretty sure they can tell Trump that it's been forever since a state was inducted and how big of a win that would be for a sitting president and he'd do that goofy face and sign whatever they want.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Deadulus posted:

Yeah plus this is a back channel that the Russian government and FSB would know about but the CIA and NSA were supposed to be ignorant of. However it looks like the American IC has been tracking this from the beginning.

What is the innocent explanation for that lol

Let's find out:

T.S. Smelliot posted:

this poo poo grows increasingly absurd, so kushner was (rightfully) concerned over illegal wiretapping and requested his foreign communications be secure? :laffo: WHO loving CARES

A very subtle, nuanced take

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

This is just gonna keep getting more common.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ice Phisherman posted:

Mad how exactly? I feel she could be mad for a number of reasons. And did she learn anything from it?

Specifically, she had a lot of bad prejudice against nonwhites, and when I pointed out to her that her own whiteness was only a recent thing, she got really angry at the notion that she might not be in the privileged class. She also had voted Republican her entire life, frequently telling me as I was growing up, "I'm a Republican because they're for the upper class of people" - when I got a little life experience I started telling her "but you're not IN the upper class of people, the only upper class people you even know are the ones you've worked for." Eventually she did change her views and I'm happy to say she even voted for Obama both times :unsmith:

She passed away two years ago and it's not totally a bad thing that she missed out on how hosed up things are now.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Yeah, that's pretty hosed up.

Hits close to home because I'm an Oregoon and would have done the same thing as those two who got killed for their effort. :smith:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

follow that camel!! posted:

I know..."it's not treason because we aren't at war."

People keep saying this. It is inaccurate both in precedent (although you could argue that attempted rebellion is an act of war, and by extension the Blair Mountain stuff counts) and in statement - there's no explicit summary of what constitutes an enemy of the United States, and therefore no explicit summary of who you can't give aid and comfort to.

More specifically, there's some room for waggle-handed weirdness with eg nonstate actors or, conversely, North Korea.

Russia... probably doesn't count.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 27, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Tir McDohl posted:

Go gently caress yourself.

What's wrong with saying this now? I'm betting it doesn't matter, does that make me a dick?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Can we please make it so that the death penalty applies to pieces of poo poo like that guy?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Michael Scott posted:

What's wrong with saying this now? I'm betting it doesn't matter, does that make me a dick?

Eat a dick.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Michael Scott posted:

It's complacency

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Flesh Forge posted:

Specifically, she had a lot of bad prejudice against nonwhites, and when I pointed out to her that her own whiteness was only a recent thing, she got really angry at the notion that she might not be in the privileged class. She also had voted Republican her entire life, frequently telling me as I was growing up, "I'm a Republican because they're for the upper class of people" - when I got a little life experience I started telling her "but you're not IN the upper class of people, the only upper class people you even know are the ones you've worked for." Eventually she did change her views and I'm happy to say she even voted for Obama both times :unsmith:

She passed away two years ago and it's not totally a bad thing that she missed out on how hosed up things are now.

I feel the same way about a buddy of mine actually. He was an old hippie and I'm sort of glad he didn't go out seeing Trump in office. Was able to dodge Vietnam by going to Kent state the year after the massacre. Saw the worst excesses of conservatism of the time.

Sorry about your mom. Hope you're okay. :unsmith:

It's good that your mom was open to change. Once upon a time non Northern Europeans coming to the US were considered subhuman. Only after years and years were they considered white and were allowed to integrate. Mormons would be lumped into the lot as well as undesirables and while they're more accepted most Christians I know consider them heretics.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Eat a dick.

theyre delicious

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

"Now who's holding the bag?" says Christie, secret sauce smeared upon his face.

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

“He said, ‘Get off the bus, and get out of the country because you don’t pay taxes here,’ [he said he] doesn’t like Muslims, they’re criminals,” Evelin Hernandez said.

Ironic words to say right before stabbing two people to death.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Willo567 posted:

Can we please make it so that the death penalty applies to pieces of poo poo like that guy?

The death penalty only applies to white people if they killed a small child or something.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

People keep saying this. It is inaccurate both in precedent (although you could argue that attempted rebellion is an act of war, and by extension the Blair Mountain stuff counts) and in statement - there's no explicit summary of what constitutes an enemy of the United States, and therefore no explicit summary of who you can't give aid and comfort to.

More specifically, there's some room for waggle-handed weirdness with eg nonstate actors or, conversely, North Korea.

Russia... probably doesn't count.

I thought you could only commit treason by aiding an enemy during a declared war. Is that incorrect? I guess this has been blurred somewhat by the expansion of the Presidents war powers though. There hasn't been a Congress declared war since WWII right? So it should be impossible to commit treason now. Anyone know exactly how all that works?

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

Probably because people are tired of seeing it. The mealy-mouthed "Nothing Matters" suggests that the speaker can't see the forest for the trees since it hasn't immediately resulted in arrests and jail time 20 minutes after the news came to light.

It's at this point, unoriginal and untrue. Watergate took two loving years. Just because Trump and crew aren't currently wearing orange jumpsuits doesn't mean poo poo doesn't matter.

Uncleanly Cleric fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 27, 2017

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Deadulus posted:

I thought you could only commit treason by aiding an enemy during a declared war. Is that incorrect? I guess this has been blurred somewhat by the expansion of the Presidents war powers though. There hasn't been a Congress declared war since WWII right? So it should be impossible to commit treason now. Anyone know exactly how all that works?

The Constitution defined treason as "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort" and is further defined in US Code as "Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere"

So I think "there needs to be a declared war" is correct. If it isn't, that's still what the GOP will use so that they won't try anyone for treason.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Looks like an "or" after war to me there

But I haven't read the precedents

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Spaced God posted:

The Constitution defined treason as "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort" and is further defined in US Code as "Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere"

So I think "there needs to be a declared war" is correct. If it isn't, that's still what the GOP will use so that they won't try anyone for treason.

Yeah I take from that helping an enemy during a time when either they or the US has declared the war would be treason. So, a non state actor like ISIS may count but Russia currently definitely wouldn't.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

mcmagic posted:

You guys who think rich and powerful people end up in jail for stuff like this in america are cute.

The Intelligence Community views Jared as a traitor. He'll be lucky if he just ends up in jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Looks like an "or" after war to me there

But I haven't read the precedents

Yeah that's what I am trying to figure out. What counts as an enemy? I would assume some sort of declaration of war because otherwise you could get real loose with the definition.

• Locked thread