Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

Probably because people are tired of seeing it. The mealy-mouthed "Nothing Matters" suggests that the speaker can't see the forest for the trees since it hasn't immediately resulted in arrests and jail time 20 minutes after the news came to light.

It's, at this point, unoriginal and untrue. Watergate took two loving years, just because Trump and crew aren't currently wearing orange jumpsuits doesn't mean poo poo doesn't matter.

Stuff actually does matter. It's just not mattering at the rate we're used to. Trump's bad boy non-politician reputation and conservative's lack of caring at anything they can disregard as fake news allow him to shed some but not all controversy. However he's only able to shed so much so fast. His approval rate is slowly climbing. Slowly. However that's because he's elsewhere. Him loving poo poo up locally is what puts the hate on.

I actually don't think it'll be any particular scandal that breaks the Trump administration, but the long string of scandals will prime him to be despised when his first crisis comes and he flunks it because he's not a competent executive and no one is truly in charge. That crisis probably won't break his administration either, but he'll never recover from it. Conservatives will look to him for strength and leadership when it counts and be disappointed. They won't exactly buy left wing narrative, but they'll grumble and not buy into his either.

So at this point I'm mostly waiting for his first true crisis of leadership and the response. If the response is competent (doubtful) he'll recover. If he doesn't surprise us and makes things worse people will lose faith and faith is the only thing keeping his administration going, because facts certainly aren't.

I'm essentially waiting not for Trump to be defeated, but the idea of Trump to be defeated. Trump is already defeating himself on a daily basis because all of his current scandals are self-inflicted. However the idea of Trump as a successful, strong businessman hasn't been fully defeated yet. That's going to take time and pain.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Looks like an "or" after war to me there

But I haven't read the precedents

The only precedents where war wasn't explicitly declared was someone was charged with treason for making videos for Al Qaeda. And he was drone striked instead of actually tried.

If anything, it might be some form of espionage case, which is usually what a lot of the American-turned-Soviet Cold War spies were convicted of.

I am not a lawyer etc

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Spaced God posted:

The Constitution defined treason as "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort" and is further defined in US Code as "Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere"

So I think "there needs to be a declared war" is correct. If it isn't, that's still what the GOP will use so that they won't try anyone for treason.

The Rosenbergs were executed, but the US didn't have a declaration of war against the USSR.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If you're to the point where people are debating whether or not you're guilty of treason, then you've committed at least a couple of other crimes in the process. We don't need a treason conviction against the Kush to bring down the White House. I'm pretty sure 30 days in the county lockup would break him.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Ego-bot posted:

The Rosenbergs were executed, but the US didn't have a declaration of war against the USSR.

As I alluded to in the post above, the Rosenbergs were convicted of Espionage, not treason

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Spaced God posted:

The only precedents where war wasn't explicitly declared was someone was charged with treason for making videos for Al Qaeda. And he was drone striked instead of actually tried.

If anything, it might be some form of espionage case, which is usually what a lot of the American-turned-Soviet Cold War spies were convicted of.

I am not a lawyer etc

Even the legal dictionaries aren't much help.

Burton's Legal Thesaurus, 4E posted:

ENEMY, international law. By this term is understood the whole body of a nation at war with another. It also signifies a citizen or subject of such a nation, as when we say an alien enemy. In a still more extended sense, the word includes any of the subjects or citizens of a state in amity with the United States, who, have commenced, or have made preparations for commencing hostilities against the United States; and also the citizens or subjects of a state in amity with the United States, who are in the service of a state at war with them. Salk. 635; Bac. Ab. Treason, G.
2. An enemy cannot, as a general rule, enter into any contract which can be enforced in the courts of law; but the rule is not without exceptions; as, for example, when a state permits expressly its own citizens to trade with the enemy; and perhaps a contract for necessaries, or for money to enable the individual to get home, might be enforced. 7 Pet. R. 586.
3. An alien enemy cannot, in general, sue during the war, a citizen of the United States, either in the courts of, the United States, or those of the several states. 1 Kent, Com. 68; 15 John. R. 57 S. C. 16 John. R. 438. Vide Marsh. Ins. c. 2, s. 1; Park. Ins. Index. h.t.; Wesk. Ins. 197; Phil. Ins. Index. h.t.; Chit. Comm. Law, Index, h.t.; Chit. Law of Nations, Index, h.t.
4. By the term enemy is also understood, a person who is desirous of doing injury to another. The Latins had two terms to signify these two classes of persons; the first, or the public enemy, they called hostis, and the latter, or the private enemy, inimicus.

I think it might be semi vague on purpose in a lot of respects.

Edit: Mostly because it's hard to pin down what "hostilities" can entail. Can election manipulation be interpreted as a hostile action?

Uncleanly Cleric fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 27, 2017

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Spaced God posted:

As I alluded to in the post above, the Rosenbergs were convicted of Espionage, not treason

So was Aldrich Ames. I doubt anyone would find many in the intelligence community who wouldn't describe him as a traitor, regardless of the strict legal definition.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Deadulus posted:

I thought you could only commit treason by aiding an enemy during a declared war. Is that incorrect? I guess this has been blurred somewhat by the expansion of the Presidents war powers though. There hasn't been a Congress declared war since WWII right? So it should be impossible to commit treason now. Anyone know exactly how all that works?

It was left kind of nebulous and non-specific on purpose, if memory serves. It was also deliberate that that's the only actual crime explicitly outlined in the Constitution. "Treason" can mean a lot of things.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

Stuff actually does matter. It's just not mattering at the rate we're used to. Trump's bad boy non-politician reputation and conservative's lack of caring at anything they can disregard as fake news allow him to shed some but not all controversy. However he's only able to shed so much so fast. His approval rate is slowly climbing. Slowly. However that's because he's elsewhere. Him loving poo poo up locally is what puts the hate on.

I actually don't think it'll be any particular scandal that breaks the Trump administration, but the long string of scandals will prime him to be despised when his first crisis comes and he flunks it because he's not a competent executive and no one is truly in charge. That crisis probably won't break his administration either, but he'll never recover from it. Conservatives will look to him for strength and leadership when it counts and be disappointed. They won't exactly buy left wing narrative, but they'll grumble and not buy into his either.

So at this point I'm mostly waiting for his first true crisis of leadership and the response. If the response is competent (doubtful) he'll recover. If he doesn't surprise us and makes things worse people will lose faith and faith is the only thing keeping his administration going, because facts certainly aren't.

I'm essentially waiting not for Trump to be defeated, but the idea of Trump to be defeated. Trump is already defeating himself on a daily basis because all of his current scandals are self-inflicted. However the idea of Trump as a successful, strong businessman hasn't been fully defeated yet. That's going to take time and pain.

To be quite honest, after following this thread compulsively since February, at this point your post reads as the kind of tempered prediction of relative stability that's going to probably seem absurd in its underestimation of the sheer endless depths of corruption, incompetence, and the sheer inability of the Trump administration to mitigate their own colossal gently caress ups after just another month.

I'd agree with you that it's going to be any kind of inevitable external crisis which cripples the administration, but I think it's more likely to burst into flames than wilt the moment that happens.

The absolute latest possible date this administration hangs on is just after the midterm election.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grapplejack posted:

Puerto Rico kinda doesn't have a choice at this point; they do not have the money to continue their current territorial status.

Part of the getting screwed so badly and put in to their current position is because they aren't a state, either.

Having PR become a state under Trump will be a disaster because they won't get the help that they need, and even under a POTUS that will help PR it still is going to take a ton of money and work to get things fixed there. That said, PR needs to be the 51st state (DC's population can be split among VA/MD they shouldn't be a state :colbert:) and we need to get them fixed up. It's just going to be impossible to do so without a bunch of corporations digging in their claws because that location is prime for tourism and a few other things (but mainly tourism).

If only we knew what set off these lone wolf attackers.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

this is why you give these people the richard spencer. you dont try to tell them to stop, you dont try to get them to calm down, you knock them the gently caress out cuz it's the only thing they understand. two innocent people are dead.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

god drat this is so horrifying. I like to believe I would stand up and tell him to stop just like those two did but never did I think for even a second that I might get my throat cut if I did. gently caress this country, I need to get out of here.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You can be executed for espionage because of a WWI law where the goal of passing on the info was to hurt the US armed forces or help an enemy nation succeed. Which is interpreted as an act of treason.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Giving stuff to Russia in the current political climate won't get called capital t Treason in court.

Why? After all, "aid and comfort" to enemies is vaguely defined, right?

Thing is, if you charge or accuse someone of treason, you're also saying that whoever they were helping was an enemy. Thus, no treason charge because like hell anyone sensible is going to give Putin the political ammo of "America said we are their enemy".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ice Phisherman posted:

Sure, but his first crisis might be something like the debt ceiling where the risk is a global economic crash. He might fall so hard he takes the rest of us out with him.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Sure, but his first crisis might be something like the debt ceiling where the risk is a global economic crash. He might fall so hard he takes the rest of us out with him.

would that be so terrible? wipe out the bank accounts of the elite, while the majority of americans who have little to know savings can start fresh and debt free

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Except the goal of Russia was to harm the United States. Which it has. There's room to contest a death penalty conviction and if the espionage act applies. But the fact that we're at this point is very bad.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

god drat this is so horrifying. I like to believe I would stand up and tell him to stop just like those two did but never did I think for even a second that I might get my throat cut if I did. gently caress this country, I need to get out of here.

poo poo like this happens all the time, you're just hearing about this one. Crazy man yells on public transport > someone tells him to shut up > violence is unfortunately common. It's the lack of mental health services for people like him that lead to these situations :(

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Evil Fluffy posted:

Part of the getting screwed so badly and put in to their current position is because they aren't a state, either.

Having PR become a state under Trump will be a disaster because they won't get the help that they need, and even under a POTUS that will help PR it still is going to take a ton of money and work to get things fixed there. That said, PR needs to be the 51st state (DC's population can be split among VA/MD they shouldn't be a state :colbert:) and we need to get them fixed up. It's just going to be impossible to do so without a bunch of corporations digging in their claws because that location is prime for tourism and a few other things (but mainly tourism).

If only we knew what set off these lone wolf attackers.

The Republican controlled Congress isn't going to admit Puerto Rico into the Union and tip the Senate +2 to the Democrats.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

maskenfreiheit posted:

would that be so terrible? wipe out the bank accounts of the elite, while the majority of americans who have little to know savings can start fresh and debt free

In this context the "elite" includes "Everyone living in a a developed world economy".

It wouldn't just wipe out savings. It'd be worse than the Great Depression, people would starve.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Grapplejack posted:

poo poo like this happens all the time, you're just hearing about this one. Crazy man yells on public transport > someone tells him to shut up > violence is unfortunately common. It's the lack of mental health services for people like him that lead to these situations :(

Sounds more like a politically motivated terror attack than a mental health issue to me, but of course I ran it through my "what if dude wasn't white" filter.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

maskenfreiheit posted:

When the economy abruptly goes way down the shitter, rich people get less rich. Poor people die.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Majorian posted:

The Intelligence Community views Jared as a traitor. He'll be lucky if he just ends up in jail.

Nothing is gonna happen to him. The best we can hope for is that he gets fired from the administration.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Grapplejack posted:

Either that, or he's just a loving racist piece of trash. Give them the same benefit of the doubt that Rs give minorities

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Vedius Pollio posted:

To be quite honest, after following this thread compulsively since February, at this point your post reads as the kind of tempered prediction of relative stability that's going to probably seem absurd in its underestimation of the sheer endless depths of corruption, incompetence, and the sheer inability of the Trump administration to mitigate their own colossal gently caress ups after just another month.

I'd agree with you that it's going to be any kind of inevitable external crisis which cripples the administration, but I think it's more likely to burst into flames than wilt the moment that happens.

The absolute latest possible date this administration hangs on is just after the midterm election.

I'd agree with you under normal circumstances. However this isn't normal. What's important is the sheer amount of corruption actually penetrating the conservative bubble and getting into peoples' brains as a real thing that they don't like. Currently they can dismiss it. As it builds it'll get harder to dismiss. Things won't matter (as much) until republicans get sick of him too.

The first real crisis they have they will fail. A lot of people are going to suffer and die. I don't think it'll be humanitarian though. Something like Haiti for example can be spun like, "Well, we're doing something and something is better than nothing". It'll probably be a domestic crisis. If I had to guess I'd say some sort of biblical style flood of the Mississippi as flooding is only going to get worse year by year with climate change.

Absolutely agree that it'll burst into flames. Reason being that they're devoting their full attention to dealing with self-inflicted wounds. They won't be able to keep up with an external crisis and self-inflicted wounds. They'll try to address both and fail at addressing either. They'll scream fake news while Rome burns.

I've come to think of Trump's reputation as a sponge. Trying not to be insulting about it either because it's pretty amazing. The sponge is his bad boy billionaire reputation. It soaks, processes and releases bad press. However he can only do this at a fixed rate and the bad reputation is weakly cumulative. However too much bad reputation all at once will sink him. Further that reputation doesn't go away. It's expelled. It fucks over -other- people. People around the released bad press get covered in it because they don't have the same reputation sponge that Trump has.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

In this context the "elite" includes "Everyone living in a a developed world economy".

It wouldn't just wipe out savings. It'd be worse than the Great Depression, people would starve.

Starving populaces tend to also become much more violent and thats the last thing the USA needs right now.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

prom candy posted:

Sounds more like a politically motivated terror attack than a mental health issue to me, but of course I ran it through my "what if dude wasn't white" filter.

Yeah, it would be treated differently if he wasn't white.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

mcmagic posted:

Nothing is gonna happen to him. The best we can hope for is that he gets fired from the administration.

What's the over-under bet on him silently having a mysterious "boating accident" like 3 years after getting kicked out?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It was left kind of nebulous and non-specific on purpose, if memory serves. It was also deliberate that that's the only actual crime explicitly outlined in the Constitution. "Treason" can mean a lot of things.

I thought they made what constitutes treason extremely narrow on purpose. Because before you could just be declared in treason to the king and executed. Seems like the framers wanted to make it very difficult to levy that charge at anyone. Which seems to be the case because very few people have been charged with it in the US's history. Like you either have to start a war against the US yourself or help an enemy that the US is in a declared war against.

The espionage and sedition acts were passed to get around this somewhat. Which have those acts had much court ruling on? It seems like they would be unconstitutional because they were created to make "treason" a crime in all but name.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

if you can't grow your own food or possess a skill you can use to get someone to give you food that's pretty poor planning tbh

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

We're due for a recession actually. Overdue really. I expect a recession that he'll be blamed for if he lasts. If he actively makes it worse he won't be long for the office. They'll kick him out and you'll see yet another reactionary democratic government.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

maskenfreiheit posted:

if you can't grow your own food or possess a skill you can use to get someone to give you food that's pretty poor planning tbh

Nobody is growing food in the amount you'd need to sustain yourself for a whole year in their backyard.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Trasson posted:

Giving stuff to Russia in the current political climate won't get called capital t Treason in court.

Why? After all, "aid and comfort" to enemies is vaguely defined, right?

Thing is, if you charge or accuse someone of treason, you're also saying that whoever they were helping was an enemy. Thus, no treason charge because like hell anyone sensible is going to give Putin the political ammo of "America said we are their enemy".

Flynn might have delayed military missions against ISIS in order to help Turkey. That's gonna be as close as you can get.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

maskenfreiheit posted:

"I'm sure economic collapse will result in appropriate land reform proposals" said no one, ever

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

maskenfreiheit posted:

If you have enough land to do that newsflash: not poor

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

EnergizerFellow posted:

What's the over-under bet on him silently having a mysterious "boating accident" like 3 years after getting kicked out?

Over two boating accidents.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Deadulus posted:

I thought they made what constitutes treason extremely narrow on purpose. Because before you could just be declared in treason to the king and executed. Seems like the framers wanted to make it very difficult to levy that charge at anyone. Which seems to be the case because very few people have been charged with it in the US's history. Like you either have to start a war against the US yourself or help an enemy that the US is in a declared war against.

The espionage and sedition acts were passed to get around this somewhat. Which have those acts had much court ruling on? It seems like they would be unconstitutional because they were created to make "treason" a crime in all but name.

That was part of it; hence actually having it on the books. Depending on the king "disagreed with me" was treason. In the U.S. it isn't, at the moment, treason to disagree with the president but god drat it if the GOP doesn't make it sound like it is when one of theirs is in.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Nobody is growing food in the amount you'd need to sustain yourself for a whole year in their backyard.

eviltastic posted:

"I'm sure economic collapse will result in appropriate land reform proposals" said no one, ever

If you are not part of the landed gentry that's pretty poor planning, tbh.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Can someone honestly explain why the Seth rich thing isn't super worrisome, thanks in advances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Darth Windu posted:

Can someone honestly explain why the Seth rich thing isn't super worrisome, thanks in advances.

Anthony Weiner is still alive.

• Locked thread