Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

where the red fern gropes posted:

questions for after ending, spoiler stuff

who exactly formed YoRHa? i thought maybe it was the machines so they could collect combat data

i figure the machines are the ones who made the androids because who else would do it? all the replicants would have died off without pop/dev to recycle old ones

some of the entries in the tower support this theory but i didn't see it explicitly stated, thinking i might have just missed it

i wish replicant nier had shown up at the end just cos

also the patterns on 2Bs skirt look a lot like the big tree in nier 1's forest of text adventures

also ending thing 2B why didn't you store 9S memories in your sword every time you killed him so that you could give them back after you died

YoRHa was created by Androids that maintained the Gestalt Project. There were more than just Devola/Popola, and they maintained their own production.

The sword memory thing I believe only applies to the wielder. I'm not fully sure how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

who exactly formed YoRHa? i thought maybe it was the machines so they could collect combat data

i figure the machines are the ones who made the androids because who else would do it? all the replicants would have died off without pop/dev to recycle old ones

some of the entries in the tower support this theory but i didn't see it explicitly stated, thinking i might have just missed it

YoRHa and the Council of Humanity were conceived by an R&D android called Zinnia on a station called The Lab but hijacked by No. 9, the original personality data source of type 9 units who added the backdoor to kill them all in a bout of apparent insanity. All of this is in the concert script http://mintychu.dreamwidth.org/1371.html#cutid1

The androids were made by humanity way back in the early 2000s. Others than just Devola and Popola existed to maintain the world, D&P were specifically models meant to shepherd replicant societies. The machines have nothing to do with it

Nina fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 26, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

also the patterns on 2Bs skirt look a lot like the big tree in nier 1's forest of text adventures

also ending thing 2B why didn't you store 9S memories in your sword every time you killed him so that you could give them back after you died

1) Androids. They needed something to fight for, so YoRHa existed to give them a chance and make them think humanity was still alive. They'd cycle out so nobody would discover the ruse.

2) The whole reason she had to kill him was 9S knowing too much. Storing his memories would be kind of the opposite of her job.

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

Mr E posted:

Route C is incredible, and Ending E even more so.

I just finished E and have put the game down. I've been pretty depressed lately, even back on medication. So the ending actually being hopeful has made my night. After finishing D first of the final three, and knowing Yoko Taro, I was not expecting to be smiling all night. Plus I've now read the play, which makes it even better.

Also, you probably aren't a goon, but if any of you are named Shore from the USA, thanks. You were the first one to help me there. :unsmith:

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Ending E is probably the most uplifting and energizing sequence in a game I've seen for a long, long time. I'm not to the point of medication, but I've dealt with pretty rough depression and anxiety myself; sounds to me like you got to it at the right time for a nice surprise.

Hang in there, man. Keep on however you can.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just finished ending E too. That was a very cool sequence. I was trying to do it solo but once I got to the SQUARE ENIX part I couldn't kill the 3rd boss after that. I lost three players' data though which I feel bad about

I feel like there in a lot of info I am missing. Like, basic stuff in the story - there was no explanation about what Project Gestalt was, no info on the replicants, no info on how P&D set up the destruction of humanity and a lot of other loopholes. Are these things just explained in earlier games? Did I miss stuff in the game and am expected to now chapter select to 100% to get this info? Also A2, 2B and 9S laying there at the end...what happens?? Those kind of really open ended endings drive me insane.

Either way, now at least I can go back through the thread and read the spoilers stuff. Other than the technical issues, this game has been a lot of fun in a downer kind of way. I got nearly 43 hours out of it which is a hell of a lot more than I have gotten from a game in a long time and I am still not sure if I will put in more time doing side quests and whatnot. Can anyone convince me if it is worth it to go back through chapter select? I don't care if I see 100% or not but if there is cool poo poo to see and not just getting a hardon from being a completionist then I am
down.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is amazing just how good it feels when you finally discover the true part of the final ending. I was determined to do it all and I could not even think of backing down but eventually it wore me down and I reached out for help thinking that I had somehow failed. So instead discovering the true meaning of the endgame put a smile on my face as there was something so comforting about being supported by the community. It left me in such a positive state that even with me planning to platinum the game I did not hesitate to wipe my data as that was the only response that felt right. On a more personal note this time last year was particularly rough for me and I still carry some mental scars from what happened. So going from the super depressing ending D and C to reach such a ending felt real good. Also if anyone sees Hunter supporting you then chances are that is my data doing so.

For gameplay, does anybody have any advice for the secret boss, the one that is completely unique?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Use auto-heal chips, spam dodge, hack if you want to speed things up. That should be all it takes on normal as long as you're a high enough level to do any damage.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

rio posted:

I feel like there in a lot of info I am missing. Like, basic stuff in the story - there was no explanation about what Project Gestalt was, no info on the replicants, no info on how P&D set up the destruction of humanity and a lot of other loopholes. Are these things just explained in earlier games? Did I miss stuff in the game and am expected to now chapter select to 100% to get this info? Also A2, 2B and 9S laying there at the end...what happens?? Those kind of really open ended endings drive me insane.

Yeah this stuff is entirely in Nier.

And Drakengard.

oh god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6n2KGbaZ0

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Ever since FAR's latest update my game has been going back to windowed mode at random intervals. Anyone else having this problem?

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I like going back into the factory in Route C, it's like a little optional dungeon. TIL you can go up in that middle tower in the part that is an extremely zoomed-out side view on the two long bridge spans.

Watching the LP thread, it's got me thinking how the YoRHa are like the collective children of the androids. We see a lot of parent/child relationships on the machine side, but nothing really on the android side. There's that one sidequest, which tips the whole hand for me. It's literally staring me in the face the whole game that the YoRHa look like children. The cool cynical response to the way YoRHa look is, "It's just anime bullshit." But thematically it makes sense.

There's the fact that the YoRHa are android/machine hybrids, as if they are literal android/machine children. And that's sort of what children are: imperfect copies of you, they are you-but-not-you. You have created them, but it is on you to provide them with a start in the world then give them independence. But YoRHa are perma-children, not allowed to grow up (in fact 2B's job is to kind of ensure 9S never grows up). So Project YoRHa is itself a monstrous act: androids turning their children into child soldiers, and setting them up to be murdered. I suppose this is a "welcome to the Yoko Taro verse" kind of realization for me but I'm new to these games.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The concept art kinda drives that point home too where 9S even wears a school uniform. They probably dropped that design since then the theme would've become downright blatant.

It's also thematically appropriate that the one to set them all to be killed is one of the very first YoRHa. It's like a grand family-murder of a techno-existential age

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

rio posted:

I just finished ending E too. That was a very cool sequence. I was trying to do it solo but once I got to the SQUARE ENIX part I couldn't kill the 3rd boss after that. I lost three players' data though which I feel bad about

Either way, now at least I can go back through the thread and read the spoilers stuff. Other than the technical issues, this game has been a lot of fun in a downer kind of way. I got nearly 43 hours out of it which is a hell of a lot more than I have gotten from a game in a long time and I am still not sure if I will put in more time doing side quests and whatnot. Can anyone convince me if it is worth it to go back through chapter select? I don't care if I see 100% or not but if there is cool poo poo to see and not just getting a hardon from being a completionist then I am
down.

This is why I keep telling people that playing Nier 1 first is absolutely a requirement before playing Automata. Nearly (Nier-ly?) all of that is thoroughly explained in Nier 1.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
"absolutely a requirement" is a bit over the top, for me the game lost none of its impact because a couple of referenced lore events weren't spelled out in detail, considering how much other stuff is vaguely alluded to or left to speculation and interpretation.

It's probably a decent motivation kickstarter to go back to Nier 1 though, if you're looking for a good reason to do that.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

The androids were all created by humans before the events of Nier 1. Just because you never run into them doesn't mean they don't yet exist. I'm pretty sure the game straight up says so at one point. The androids, of course, have the materials and skill to create copies of themselves.

YoRHa was created by an android named Zinnia to make the other androids (besides Devola and Popola) believe humans still exist and give them something to fight for.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

RoadCrewWorker posted:

"absolutely a requirement" is a bit over the top, for me the game lost none of its impact because a couple of referenced lore events weren't spelled out in detail, considering how much other stuff is vaguely alluded to or left to speculation and interpretation.

It's probably a decent motivation kickstarter to go back to Nier 1 though, if you're looking for a good reason to do that.

They're not references; they're important, necessary information. Have you actually played Nier 1?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not vital to have played NieR before Automata, but it absolutely massively enhances the experience.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

...! posted:

They're not references; they're important, necessary information. Have you actually played Nier 1?

It is necessary in some ways to understand the game world as with any sequel, but I don't think it's really necessary to enjoy the story of Automata.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The original Nier is my jam and deserves a remake ASAP

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Well drat. And from what I can find, which is hard because Google likes to just send back Nier Automata results when I search for Nier, there is no pc port of Nier? I guess I should look for a let's play or some text dump of what happened in that game. I don't know anything about it or Drakengard.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

rio posted:

Well drat. And from what I can find, which is hard because Google likes to just send back Nier Automata results when I search for Nier, there is no pc port of Nier? I guess I should look for a let's play or some text dump of what happened in that game. I don't know anything about it or Drakengard.

Might I introduce you to our very own TDI's LP https://lparchive.org/NIER/

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Everyone should go play Nier to explain on some subtext that really doesn't matter in the plot of the game because all of those characters except for 1 died millenia ago.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I was just reading about Nier Gestalt, Nier Replicant and the connection to Drakengard. I have come to the conclusion that Nier Automata is a good standalone game that I am glad I played, but if they incorporated the previous plot lines into the game it could have been really great. It is really loving deep...tons of info. And arguably, the whole plot of Nier Gestalt is much more important than the plot of Automata. Combine the two and it would have led to some seriously kick rear end revelation moments. They could have easily done it too - the low effort way would have been more scenes like D&P's text scroll at the end which was like a little choose your own adventure where your choices didn't matter. Just more of that to explain what happened before would have been extremely satisfying instead of feeling like there is some super important info that I was missing after getting all of these different endings...which apparently I was

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Original Nier still plays acceptably, now Drakengard, that deserves a remake.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Original Nier still plays acceptably, now Drakengard, that deserves a remake.

No

No it does not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wuss

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I really wonder what the next game could be.

For some reason, I imagine Yoko Taro developing a 'Drakengard Remaster' that is eventually revealed to be a completely different game. The cancelled Platinum/Microsoft collaboration "Scalebound" has some surface-level similarities to the Drakengard universe. It seems too obvious that Platinum could attempt to rework existing gameplay elements around a Yoko Taro story.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game could have used Nier's hit tally system where you attack faster as your combo string goes up. That would've been pretty neat.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

CJacobs posted:

This game could have used Nier's hit tally system where you attack faster as your combo string goes up. That would've been pretty neat.

It's crazy that they made Drakengard's weapon power up system an upgrade bonus for some weapons but Nier's combo speed up just isn't there. Getting triple digit greatsword combos and swinging it as fast as a regular sword was so great

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ending C done, A2 was a trooper.

9S.....you need to talk to someone, man.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Who is left that he could really talk to? By that point in the game everybody was either broken or about to break so there was no one able to help 9S deal with his growing crisis of hope and faith.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jackass. Always Jackass.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Ending C done, A2 was a trooper.

9S.....you need to talk to someone, man.

Oh good, I've got a question. Throughout route C you're asked if you want to assist (read: play as) 9S or A2. I've been choosing A2 each time because I was kind of burnt out on hacking and just wanted to wreck poo poo in berserk mode. Will the game eventually force me into playing as 9S to get him caught up to where A2 is, or will I be going through the entirety of it A2?
No spoilers as to what happens, please. Just want to know if I'll have to save 9S' stuff until the chapter select option that I've been spoiled on already.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Oh good, I've got a question. Throughout route C you're asked if you want to assist (read: play as) 9S or A2. I've been choosing A2 each time because I was kind of burnt out on hacking and just wanted to wreck poo poo in berserk mode. Will the game eventually force me into playing as 9S to get him caught up to where A2 is, or will I be going through the entirety of it A2?
No spoilers as to what happens, please. Just want to know if I'll have to save 9S' stuff until the chapter select option that I've been spoiled on already.

You have to play through both characters for story reasons.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, I alternated between the two, but by the end of the path I didn't feel like I missed anything.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The choice is not "who do you want to play as", it's "who do you want to play as first". It might soften the blow a bit to know it's a fake choice but I've seen more posts in here wondering about that exact question than praising the game for making you pick so...

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 28, 2017

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hunt11 posted:

Who is left that he could really talk to? By that point in the game everybody was either broken or about to break so there was no one able to help 9S deal with his growing crisis of hope and faith.

Jackass, Anemone and all the other resistance androids.

Animal Loving Machine.

Machine on a Break.

Genius Inventor Machine.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

You have to play through both characters for story reasons.
Good to know. I'd expected as much, but I wanted to be certain.
Actually, another question. I've heard that there's literally only one thing in the game that is 100% missable, with no chance to get it again. I'm assuming it's probably not on route C, is it on D or E and is there some kind of reasonable warning as to what it is?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's no warning, no. It's ending Y and it's the alternate joke ending of a sidequest.

edit: Specifically, it's the sidequest you can only do when you've upgraded all of the game's weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Begemot posted:

Jackass, Anemone and all the other resistance androids.

Animal Loving Machine.

Machine on a Break.

Genius Inventor Machine.

None of the machines for obvious reasons and I doubt the resistance would appreciate being told that they are fighting for nothing.