Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RodShaft posted:

I was looking at this one specifically. It seems to have all the games she would want, but if the saves don't work there's no point in getting that to build her a cobbled together NES classic.

It looks better constructed than most pirate carts from the pictures, but 9 times out 10 what you order on aliexpress does not wind up matching the picture. It's possible, I guess, but with pirate carts I'd bet on low quality and shoddiness.

Also:

Robocop has moved off the pirate cart label and has started appearing on the menus! Within a few years they'll be replacing all the sprites in the games with Robocop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
My wife loves the Retron 5.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

RodShaft posted:

I was looking at this one specifically. It seems to have all the games she would want, but if the saves don't work there's no point in getting that to build her a cobbled together NES classic.

Any opinions on the Gamerz Tek vs RetroN hdmi NES offerings are still welcome.
There's no battery so I assume it won't save unless one of those chips are some type of flash storage. It's :10bux: * 2 so why not try it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

lo carb Lo Pan posted:

Except for Flash Man. You have to slide backwards through that boss door.
Mega Man 2 doesn't have sliding, though?

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

Well, the floor in Flash Man's stage is slippery. Run towards the door, turn away at the last second and slide on in backwards.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

That would answer my other question of "how the hell do you go into a door backwards when Mega Man doesn't really have momentum when walking", then. May have to mess with that sometime.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

al-azad posted:

What's with that skittles controller? Is that some Hori third party nonsense? Everyone knows Super Ness buttons are purple.

It turns out that the colors are marked on the inside in English anyway

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pop quiz: what was the first PS1 fighting game? No, it wasn't Toshinden, though it was a launch title in the US. Toshinden was released a month after a fighting game that's so awkward, my guess is they had no choice but to not let it get out of Japan. I had been wanting to play this game for a while and this was a weird game that was worth the wait.

So where do I start with this game? It was released only a week or two after the PlayStation in Japan and has a reputation among Japanese gamers for its absurdity. Imagine you're the last gasp of Famicom shovelware developer attached to a Japanese media conglomerate in 1994. What game do you develop for that new system Sony has coming out? Well, fighting games are popular, but what kind? Those American games with digitized actors seem to have some popularity but players in Japan seem to prefer drawn characters. So why not do both? And that's how, I presume, Twin Goddesses became the Who Framed Roger Rabbit of fighting games.

Okay, more like the Cool World of fighting games.

The two heroines and the main villain are played by actresses, the rest of the characters are drawn, and nobody has enough frames of animation to go around. In the story mode you have to play one of the two princesses (not goddesses). There is a versus mode where you can use anybody but I didn't have a second controller handy so I couldn't even back out of the menu after I selected someone for player one. The woman in pink seems to have had a better idea of what to do in the photo shoot since she tends to at least photograph well for her frames of "animation". The woman in yellow, on the other hand, is blurry in a lot of her animations. I suspect that they may have shot her doing martial arts routines on video and then digitized the frames, then discovered how badly they screwed up and did the next session with just poses.

(Why yes, I am going to put a lot of animated gifs in this post. Because how else are you supposed to see how crazy this game is?)

As you'd expect, the controls are terrible. You have a heavy and light attack, a magic button that seems to only be used for projectile attacks, and an item button. Magic attacks use up the magic gauge and there's one more problem with them: they don't give you any points. Points in Twin Goddesses can be spent between matches to upgrade your life or magic bar, give you a second chance in a fight, or use a large area attack. The attack items have a long wind up time, aren't more damaging than your magic, and also don't give you cash back, so I'd recommend sticking with upgrading your fighter.

Many of the light attacks have an extremely short range, to the point of being effectively indistinguishable from where your character is standing. The aerial attacks are flakey. And there's a theme to far too many of the attacks. See if you can guess what that is:

I haven't even mentioned the music yet. There's only one song for the fights and it is special. I tried to find a recording of it to include here because I don't even know how to describe it other than completely inappropriate for the game regardless of what theme they were going for. The intro has some bland jpop song that was farmed to the lowest bidder, but the fighting music is unbelievable.

The default settings make the game absurdly hard. Non-stop attacks and juggling from the very start. So if you play be sure to put it on "ease" mode (the harder setting is called "difficulty").

There's one more thing I have to share with you about Twin Goddesses and that's the names of the enemies. The big bad is the rather boring Carmilla, the rest are fantastic. You have Elf Jinny, Gnome Ghom, Red Dawn, Goldrush, and Fatman. Fatman's attacks, BTW, include this:

Twin Goddesses is a terrible game, but it's the kind of terrible that has to be seen to be believed. I can't wait to inflict it on other people by surprise. There is no other reaction to this game than "What the gently caress did I just play?"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it looks like saltybet lmao

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

It looks better constructed than most pirate carts from the pictures, but 9 times out 10 what you order on aliexpress does not wind up matching the picture. It's possible, I guess, but with pirate carts I'd bet on low quality and shoddiness.

Also:

Robocop has moved off the pirate cart label and has started appearing on the menus! Within a few years they'll be replacing all the sprites in the games with Robocop!

But does it play that sweet rear end RoboCop song on the menu??

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Random Stranger posted:

"What the gently caress did I just play?"

Thank you for sharing this. This is amazing. :allears:

Also that reminded me that despite wanting one for—oh god—over half my life now, I never did get a modded PS1. Just used a softmod for a couple of Japanese DDRs and Castlevania Chronicles, back when it seemed a 100% certainty that that wouldn't be localized. I should look into it.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Twin Goddesses is a terrible game, but it's the kind of terrible that has to be seen to be believed. I can't wait to inflict it on other people by surprise. There is no other reaction to this game than "What the gently caress did I just play?"

By the end of your post I ordered this from eBay.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The poorly costumed digital actress from that game reminds me of that unreleased Tattoo Assassin. At least Mortal Kombat generally weren't too busy so they kinda just blended in unlike the knockoffs.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Heran Bago posted:

This specific special build of Sonic Megamix is a must-play on the real hardware.

If you like the cute and cheerful Rainbow Islands then definitely check out the grimdark robotic Genesis version.

So I went through the trouble to download this ROM onto my phone back when this was posted so I wouldn't lose track of it. Finally got around to loading it onto my Everdrive tonight and... well.... Holy poo poo.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Peep this sweet as hell DQXI commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPR1oWqp4-Y

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Random Stranger posted:

There's only one song for the fights

How in god's name do you make a game for a CD based console that is lacking music

like that was the whole point of the first gen of CD consoles I thought, big fancy CD audio soundtracks and FMV

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Rirse posted:

The poorly costumed digital actress from that game reminds me of that unreleased Tattoo Assassin.
Yeah, but does this game have a fatality where you fart out a cooked turkey that hits the opponent fighter, spawning another cooked turkey that bounces back and hits you, stunning you and spawning another cooked turkey and this repeats until the entire screen is filled with cooked turkeys bouncing around the screen and knocking you and your KO'd opponent around like pinballs? (aka "Happy Thanksgiving")

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 27, 2017

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Ahhhh and here I thought I couldn't get more excited for DQXI. That is great.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If Twin Goddesses doesn't show up on Saturday Morning Scrublords within the next month, i'm gonna be pissed. I know that Matt, Pat and Woolie are all goons, so the chances of one of them reading this thread is pretty high.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Code Jockey posted:

How in god's name do you make a game for a CD based console that is lacking music

like that was the whole point of the first gen of CD consoles I thought, big fancy CD audio soundtracks and FMV

It could be a combination of factors:

1. A general lack of effort, talent, and resources on the part of the developer.

2. Riding the wave of the early Playstation console release by tossing out a rush job game into a fresh and uncrowded market.

3. Sort of like with factor two, it may have been a game in development for another platform (like the Super Famicom) that was then hastily converted for a Playstation release. Artwork, sprites, raw footage, and some audio assets could probably be reused or redone easily, but if all the music was written for a different audio hardware and software setup then redoing it would be a large task.

But yeah, it definitely has the stench of sloppy shovelware about it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Charles Get-Out posted:

Ahhhh and here I thought I couldn't get more excited for DQXI. That is great.

Didn't they have to move the release day for Dragon Quest games to the weekend because it was destroying productivity in Japan?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Kthulhu5000 posted:

It could be a combination of factors:

1. A general lack of effort, talent, and resources on the part of the developer.

2. Riding the wave of the early Playstation console release by tossing out a rush job game into a fresh and uncrowded market.

3. Sort of like with factor two, it may have been a game in development for another platform (like the Super Famicom) that was then hastily converted for a Playstation release. Artwork, sprites, raw footage, and some audio assets could probably be reused or redone easily, but if all the music was written for a different audio hardware and software setup then redoing it would be a large task.

But yeah, it definitely has the stench of sloppy shovelware about it.

I think PS1's audio hardware is a superset of the SNES' APU. It's why games like Chrono Trigger sound close to identical on the hardware. I'd probably stick to lack of effort and talent.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Random Stranger posted:

Twin Goddesses

You're really coming through with games that are right up my alley.

Regarding weird videogame rituals, it's probably obvious but I always have to moonwalk up and down stairs in Super Castlevania IV. I also have a really weird habit when I play fighting games. I pick the most aggressive divey character, and play them like Guile and just never go in. I call it "The Legend of Down Back".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Didn't they have to move the release day for Dragon Quest games to the weekend because it was destroying productivity in Japan?

It's a thing that Enix did of their own volition rather than something the Diet told them to do, as the urban myth goes.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
It's definitely a cultural phenomenon, but I think the release date thing only happened for DQVIII & I don't know if that being due to interrupting school or work has ever been established.

DQXI is coming out on June 29, which is a Thursday.

edit: the split version thing is super weird, though I like that they made the exact same trailer for the PS4 and 3DS versions :v:
PS4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXlbhVVB7BU
3DS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drpI5EFCRbc
Doubler

Nancy fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 27, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Here's a fun question for you all: what is the strangest voluntary-yet-compulsory behavior you find yourself doing in video games?

Super Mario Bros. 2:
1. if you get a Starman, enter subspace, and leave at just the right moment when the star is wearing off, the subspace music will continue to play. I do this whenever possible.
2. Running and jumping everywhere while crouching. This is most fun with Luigi and Princess, on ice.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
1. In the Slogra/Gaibon fight, trying to kill Gaibon first without touching Slogra.
2. Killing that Discus Knight in the Catacombs until he drops the Chakram, and using it as long as I can tolerate it. It's pretty much an immediately obsolete weapon, but it's neat, and there's very little else in the game like it.
3. Divekicking my way across Dracula's castle.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Rollersnake posted:

Super Mario Bros. 2:
1. if you get a Starman, enter subspace, and leave at just the right moment when the star is wearing off, the subspace music will continue to play. I do this whenever possible.
2. Running and jumping everywhere while crouching. This is most fun with Luigi and Princess, on ice.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
1. In the Slogra/Gaibon fight, trying to kill Gaibon first without touching Slogra.
2. Killing that Discus Knight in the Catacombs until he drops the Chakram, and using it as long as I can tolerate it. It's pretty much an immediately obsolete weapon, but it's neat, and there's very little else in the game like it.
3. Divekicking my way across Dracula's castle.

You reminded me that in SotN I backdash everywhere, but I'm pretty sure everyone does that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's definitely a cultural phenomenon, but I think the release date thing only happened for DQVIII & I don't know if that being due to interrupting school or work has ever been established.

DQXI is coming out on June 29, which is a Thursday.

The story that the Japanese government passed a law not allowing Dragon Quest games to be released on weekdays isn't true. It's just something that Enix voluntarily did because their releases were so disruptive. I guess it's a phenomenon that just doesn't exist anymore...

Edit:

I had to give the Twin Goddesses fight music to the world somehow. So I recorded a versus match with infinite time and let the music play.

FWIW, I figured out in the process of doing this that there are more music tracks for fighting than that. It's just that this one plays on multiple stages (there's only six in the game) and the other ones while bad, are also bad in the normal way that you're not going to remember them. This is something else.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 27, 2017

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You forgot to add the hammer-click and gunshot at the end :colbert:

That is a thing of beauty. Sad, sad depressing beauty :magical:

I've been reading the thread from the beginning since it's a wealth of information, and although this post is old, I got inspired by wa27's amazing video as well as your post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2kTWO3VXNM

I'm so sorry.

In actual content, tomorrow we're moving rooms around and I finally get to setup my own little retro corner for my CRT TV and get all my shelves set up properly. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

H1KE posted:

I've been reading the thread from the beginning since it's a wealth of information, and although this post is old, I got inspired by wa27's amazing video as well as your post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2kTWO3VXNM

I'm so sorry.

In actual content, tomorrow we're moving rooms around and I finally get to setup my own little retro corner for my CRT TV and get all my shelves set up properly. :allears:

God drat, well done. :stonklol:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

azurite posted:

So I went through the trouble to download this ROM onto my phone back when this was posted so I wouldn't lose track of it. Finally got around to loading it onto my Everdrive tonight and... well.... Holy poo poo.

I'm finally getting around to playing it later today.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm so loving the classic bottom screen imagery in that DQ game

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing it later today.

:saddowns:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I am having so much trouble finding a USB drive that will work to softmod my Xbox. I ordered some poo poo ghostbusters USB drive with the rest of the stuff and the Xbox recognized it but it just sort of died. Now the Xbox nor the pc will recognize it. I tried a few more of mine (as well as plugging in digital cameras and some some sd card readers) and absolutely nothing works. Also went to 5 thrift stores to try to find USB drives and didn't see a single one.

I see people using a PSP and other people using a rooted android phone but I don't have either of those anymore. Plus the holiday weekend means more waiting than usual if I can even find one online to order. So annoying.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Mak0rz posted:

I'm so loving the classic bottom screen imagery in that DQ game

It's neat as heck, but I'm wondering how it's going to work if it plays simultaneously with the 3D mode.

It almost feels like the versions were made for fans of different DQ styles, e.g.
You like DQVIII or DQX? We got PS4
You like DQIX or the 3DS/DS remakes/ports? We got 3DS 3D mode
You like OG DQ? We got 3DS 2D mode

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GutBomb posted:

I am having so much trouble finding a USB drive that will work to softmod my Xbox. I ordered some poo poo ghostbusters USB drive with the rest of the stuff and the Xbox recognized it but it just sort of died. Now the Xbox nor the pc will recognize it. I tried a few more of mine (as well as plugging in digital cameras and some some sd card readers) and absolutely nothing works. Also went to 5 thrift stores to try to find USB drives and didn't see a single one.

I see people using a PSP and other people using a rooted android phone but I don't have either of those anymore. Plus the holiday weekend means more waiting than usual if I can even find one online to order. So annoying.

You ideally want an old flash drive that's 4 GB or less. 2 GB or less is ideal. It also should be formatted in FAT16 rather than FAT32 if you can do it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Thanks, I just tried a bunch more stuff on all of my thumb drives to no avail. The ghostbusters themed drive I got for a dollar on amazon worked to a point last night. I could plug it in to the Xbox and it would format it, but when I brought it back to the pc to copy the exploit files on to it it would die halfway, as if I'd unplugged it. After trying this a few times it finally just died altogether. The computer acts like nothing is even plugged in. I tried it in my Mac too and same thing, it's like nothing is even plugged in to the USB port. Oh well. I bought it because it was the cheapest 1gb USB on amazon. I guess now I know why. I borrowed a 256mb one from a neighbor but I get the "the memory module you inserted may be damaged" message on the Xbox with that one too, even after formatting fat16 and then also when I tried a FATX formatting tool. I ended up ordering one that Xbox forums users generally regard as "working" so when it gets here I'll resume. I hate interrupting a project in the middle.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 28, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Me Last Week: Oh, A Boy and His Blob on the GameBoy! I know the NES game is rough despite the fun ideas, but I bet they ironed out all of those problems for the second iteration. And it's smaller so they have to do something easier.

Me Today: What the gently caress was I thinking.

I've been trying to playing The Rescue of Princess Blobbette and hoo-boy is it unplayable. All of the problems with the original game are there and the layout starts off making things difficult for you.

The GameBoy game annoyed me so much that I dug out the now ten year old (!) WayForward reboot for the Wii (speaking of which, given that game development stopped years ago and we're now two successor systems past it, I have no trouble describing the Wii as "retro"). Yeah, it goes the complete other direction by being too direct and easy, but given the choice between an aimless and obtuse game and a direct and easy one, the direct and easy one is going to be more enjoyable. Also, if you're not hugging that blob every change you get then you're a monster.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of which, there was actually a completed DS game and hoo boy is it ugly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My only exposure to A Boy and His Blob was when my ex girlfriend was digging around in her attic and found her older brother's NES and that's the only game she could find for it (still in the slot, iirc).

I remember not knowing how the gently caress to play it so we just stopped playing after about ten minutes and never touched it again.

• Locked thread