Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

LifeSizePotato posted:

Several threads on /r/windowsphone saying that it's been privately confirmed that there will be no new development or updates on WM10 and it's now in maintenance mode for the next 24 months.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/65je77/the_end_microsoft_kills_off_windows_phone_windows/

The silver lining people are trying to find is that Windows 10 on ARM will be on phones, making it like the 4th or 5th total reboot incompatible with old hardware.

Oww that's rough, not surprising given how little movement we've seen for the past 12-24 months. It seems like MS didn't even try when W10M launched besides saying, hi we have 2 phones 950/950XL, buy them if you want, although don't blame us when it sucks we all use iPhones now.

Well I guess it's nice we'll possibly be able to run steam on W10Arm devices except I'm sure they will white list apps.

My hope although I'm not sure why I even care anymore is the W10M ecosystem (although I'd really rather see android at this point, I vastely perfer the Android experience over W10M) while a mobile device, and if plugged into a dock/power/miracasting then a whole Win10 desktop with no restrictions on what apps can run. Then we could finally have a device in out pocket that could do everything, just needs M/K/Monitor to do non-mobile things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Desktop and mobile will soon be sharing the same UI, so Continuum will actually scale properly (and Windows 10 ARM can display properly on phones - right now the desktop and mobile UI don't really work right either higher or lower than 6" depending on which one you're talking about), so given that the core OS and apps are already shared, as far as I'm aware the only thing that will separate Mobile from desktop is x86 functionality, and it doesn't surprise me that Microsoft would kill support at that point, since low end devices that can't run desktop programs are a complete dead end in terms of market share (and it remains to be seen how high-end devices would fare, if we even get any).

The main issues are whether any non-universal phone apps would still work on desktop ARM, although at this point there aren't a lot that I still use, and whether we're actually going to get a phone with Windows 10 ARM or just tablets.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hmm, I am worried that my 950 is on its way out. Battery level is jumping immediately from 100% down to 50% and TBlog (Tumblr app) is asking if I want to stop animated gifs from auto-playing due to high memory usage. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to troubleshoot any of this? I really, really wanted to wait out the year on Windows Mobile, but I guess I can fall back on my old 650.

Edit: There are two task manager apps in the store that could clue me in on RAM usage, but both require things like dev mode and other permissions so I'm wary of using them.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 13, 2017

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hmm, I am worried that my 950 is on its way out. Battery level is jumping immediately from 100% down to 50% and TBlog (Tumblr app) is asking if I want to stop animated gifs from auto-playing due to high memory usage. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to troubleshoot any of this? I really, really wanted to wait out the year on Windows Mobile, but I guess I can fall back on my old 650.

Edit: There are two task manager apps in the store that could clue me in on RAM usage, but both require things like dev mode and other permissions so I'm wary of using them.

My 950 kept restarting and my battery went from 35% to 27% in about five seconds. I pulled the battery and haven't had any problems since. Your phone sounds like maybe the update caused some issues?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've pulled the battery and done a hard reset and the battery has been sitting at 100% for a while, which doesn't bode well. Also, while it did a pretty good job of restoring my apps and login data, I note that requesting that it restore my start menu layout is still more of a suggestion than an actual feature.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've pulled the battery and done a hard reset and the battery has been sitting at 100% for a while, which doesn't bode well.

Battery % requires awhile to calibrate. Give it a few days to charge/discharge to get enough statistics before you try to figure out if something is wrong. Also the % doesn't really mean anything at all, if you want to see how long you last on battery, charge it full and then run it through a day until it dies.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hmm, I am worried that my 950 is on its way out. Battery level is jumping immediately from 100% down to 50%

wookieepelt posted:

My 950 kept restarting and my battery went from 35% to 27% in about five seconds. I pulled the battery and haven't had any problems since. Your phone sounds like maybe the update caused some issues?

This is the stuff that finally pushed me into the loving arms of Android. My phone is nearly unusable, but it's all I've got until my new phone arrives on Wednesday. :sigh:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

YeahTubaMike posted:

This is the stuff that finally pushed me into the loving arms of Android. My phone is nearly unusable, but it's all I've got until my new phone arrives on Wednesday. :sigh:

If you've never had glasses, there's this moment for people that get new glasses for the first time where they walk outside and realize they've never been able to see the leaves on trees. It's like a universal moment. People walk out and go "holy poo poo trees having loving leaves on them! I can see them individually!"

That's how it's going to be with Android. Except with apps instead of leaves.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BonoMan posted:

If you've never had glasses, there's this moment for people that get new glasses for the first time where they walk outside and realize they've never been able to see the leaves on trees. It's like a universal moment. People walk out and go "holy poo poo trees having loving leaves on them! I can see them individually!"

Lol, can confirm, only it was craters on the moon :)

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

Yeah. My phone is now restarting and not starting up again until I put it on a charger. And it still has 50% battery when it does start. Also, after it comes back I have to enter A1B2C3 because I entered the wrong pin too many times. On a fresh boot.:rolleyes:

I'm going to run the recovery tool this week and see if that fixes any issues, because a factory reset didn't. Then I'm going to buy the Note 8 because the Note 7R won't be released in the US.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My phone seems to be better now, so that's good.

I'd quite like to give Android another spin using one of the many phones left to die in a drawer at work that will never, ever be collected or re-used, but they're all locked down tight and can't even be hard reset without the correct authorisation, so I'm not sure if I have any options there.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

BonoMan posted:

I have glasses, and how the gently caress does everyone have this exact moment? :psyduck: Seeing individual leaves on the trees all the way down the street was so mindblowing.

My phone arrives tomorrow and I'm pretty sure the first thing I'm going to do is install Snapchat and make myself into a dog.

RVProfootballer posted:

Lol, can confirm, only it was craters on the moon :)

I imagine I'd have had the same experience if I'd gotten my first pair of glasses later in the evening.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Haha I actually bought an iPhone and returned it because I hated it compared to my Windows Phone. I hate the Snapchat guy anyway.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I had the good fortune of having a mobile QA job while I was in the market for my first smartphone, so I got to dick around with the phones to see which I liked better. I was indifferent to Android, but I HATED iPhone, so I decided that I would get anything but an iPhone, and that's how I ended up using Windows Phone for 3+ years.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My 950 is now restarting or suddenly shutting off multiple times a day.

Please don't die phone. :(

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

My 950 is now restarting or suddenly shutting off multiple times a day.

Please don't die phone. :(

Mine is doing that too. I've done a factory reset and device recovery tool and it still does it. I'm sad, but it's time for a new phone.

On a side note, anyone want to sell a 950 XL for a discount if I trade in a usable but restarting 950? I have a mozo back!

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Mine did that a bit back too and a new battery solved my problems.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I thought it could be a battery issue, but I'm not sure if it's the battery or the battery housing. It never does it when it's still. Only when I move it. I don't want to waste money on a battery if it's the phone itself. Is there a way to test it?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Screw it, new battery is on the way. Since I also had the issue with my battery level diving suddenly before I did a hard reset that's probably all it is.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have a 950XL that had a cracked screen, to fix it costs $225 - I paid like $400 for the phone. Not worth it.

iPhone time baby

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Partycat posted:

iPhone time baby

Now that's a lot to pay for a- *stops self*

No, we're firmly not-Windows Phone users and should be congratulating each other on that lol :)

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I bought a refurb iPhone 7 128 for $500 on walmart.com, it arrived brand new for all I can tell. So yeah..

Congratulations on your freedom

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Guys I'm sure the Surface phone will be out any minute and it'll be groundbreaking.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

CubanMissile posted:

Guys I'm sure the Surface phone will be out any minute and it'll be groundbreaking.

And it'll run all of the apps on iPhone AND Android.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Is there a reason why Groove Music would stop playing in the background all of a sudden? Up until yesterday, it would keep playing a song if my screen locked or I would go back to the Start screen, but now all of a sudden without me changing anything, the music I'm listening to stops if either one of those things happens.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Not even a new battery could stop my 950 from breathing its last, so off for repairs it goes, and out comes my 650 from storage until it returns. Microsoft don't even do the repairs themselves anymore, you get redirected to a third party.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Surely it would be cheaper to buy a new one at this point??

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nah, it's in warranty so the repair is free. The spare battery didn't cost much even if it turns out that it wasn't necessary.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Ah, fair enough. I'm not used to having actual good warranties!

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Heh, I've been toying with the idea of downgrading to dumbphones. Retake control, be more sociable, pay more attention to the world around me, the usual stuff. There's the "keep a smartphone but just disable most notifications, uninstall the social media crap and have some loving self-control" argument (I imagine this is a very SA viewpoint) but to me there's more to it than that. If it's there, there's always the temptation when walking through town to zombify with Pokemon Go or Ingress, or in social settings the super rude thing so many of us do: whip it out and start scrolling through social media when friends start banging on about something really boring between themselves (sport does that for me) then end up too engrossed when the subject changes. I'm a lovely human being, and lovely human beings sometimes need to impose restrictions on themselves in order to not be lovely.

But I'm not sure I like the idea of ditching mobile data altogether (and it's more expensive to have a separate 4G tablet and data plan which was the other thought i.e. you don't just keep a tablet in your pocket, you have to consciously see a reason to bring it), there are just too many occasions when I want to bring up a map or check a bus time or compare a price etc. Technically, having quick access to data can even be a life saver.

That got me thinking about Windows phones. Effectively like a compromise between a dumbphone and a smartphone, as you have all the basic smartphone features but without the apps, games or much desire to take it out of your pocket...

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 5, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Okay, I know Windows has less apps, but it isn't quite a lifeless wasteland that all modern apps dare not tread. You still have Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Netflix and more, plus there are still plenty of games, even if a couple of big ones like Pokémon Go are missing. It isn't barren enough to stop you from finding ways of wasting time on it constantly.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I must have to admit the one thing I miss about my windows phone compared to Android is the lack of ads on Facebook and Twitter.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

joebuddah posted:

I must have to admit the one thing I miss about my windows phone compared to Android is the lack of ads on Facebook and Twitter.

Use a third party Twitter client to remedy, ie Talon. Idk Facebook at all, sorry.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Dug out my cheapo Blu Win Jr, it's finally got the Windows 10 upgrade now and yeah that seems far better for apps.

One thing I like that it shares with iOS but that Android lacks, is remote hotspot support. Where if your devices are paired via bluetooth you can use that to bootstrap the wifi hotspot from your laptop while keeping the phone in your pocket. Not sure why Android still doesn't have this - patent issue? Microsoft decided to just go for it regardless?
All it needs now from the list of Apple's ideas is to display the phone's signal and battery life from the laptop.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It lets you know when the battery is getting low with a desktop notification, but yeah, real time updates would be awesome.

My favourite thing right now is the number of things that can be synced between apps on different devices - Podcasts syncs the exact position in your currently playing podcast so you can jump straight to another device, and myTube had me already logged in when I downloaded it to my Surface. That's the kind of seamlessness I want to see more of.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So AT&T has a deal right now on the Galaxy S8, if your current phone is worth at least $20 you an get $200 off the price of the S8 or S8+. It was the push I needed to get off Window Phone and good lord, this thing is amazing. Not even talking about the phone but all of the apps that make poo poo so much more convenient, logging into Steam and Discord to get and send message away from the computer, paying poo poo with Samsung Pay, having the Chase App and Amazon App again, controlling my Amazon Firestick with my phone and not needing to remote. I also get my OneDrive and Groove music to save poo poo and stream my .mp3s. Android has come a long way since I last used it and this is great.

Peace Windows Phone, it's been fun. I ain't comin' back.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
RIP another Microsoft Band. I think I'll be in the double-digits soon.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CharlesM posted:

RIP another Microsoft Band. I think I'll be in the double-digits soon.

They're still replacing them for you? Not a refund?

I do miss the Band 2 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Maneki Neko posted:

They're still replacing them for you? Not a refund?

I do miss the Band 2 :(

We'll see what happens this time. If I go into the store I'm pretty sure they'll give me credit toward a Fitbit. I'll call tech support and have to argue a bit that I don't need to learn how to charge it, and then get an RMA, probably.