Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

vermin posted:

The French-Canadian propane grill I got for a bargain and came with wrong measurements and an instruction manual without words finally got put together :buddy: The entire time I imagined Hank Hill berating me and talking about superior American grill manufacturers.

Cooked some steak and shish-kabobs. Not bad not bad. Definitely gonna grill more this summer, hopefully minimum two times a week. Gonna buy a smoke box though cause as delicious as it was it didn't taste like charcoal.

The minute I saw that video I wanted to go out to the nearest Cuban restaurant. I think I'm gonna cook that if I can up my motivation game.

"Le grille? What the hell is le grille?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Dairy free horchata ice cream
1.5c rice
4c water
4c almond milk
12 yolks
Vanilla tt
cinnamon tt

Blend rice to powder in vitamix
Add 4c boiling water, run vitamix
Add 12 yolks
Add 2c sugar
Add 4c almond milk
Add vanilla
Add cinnamon
Freeze as ice cream

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtSPaYSzOkc

Chef is back, and she has a stuffed Francis. Watch her apron. It's equally :kimchi: and :smith:

The Pigeon
Feb 8, 2008

I have nothing to say here.
College Slice
Edit: Oops, wrong thread.

The Pigeon fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 22, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I made an egg salad sandwich for myself and I kept wondering why the gently caress it tasted so bad, and it turns out that egg salad actually needs quite a bit of salt to be palatable. That makes sense, cause the bread you eat it with is not likely to be seasoned at all. I sometimes worry that I put too much salt in things, but honestly too much salt is better than not enough.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Chef is back, and she has a stuffed Francis. Watch her apron. It's equally :kimchi: and :smith:

That apron spoke to me and I am scared.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Store-bought bread usually has plenty of sodium.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The #1 source of sodium in most people's diet is bread in fact

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I stand corrected. The egg salad still needed more salt, though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Manuel Calavera posted:

this is pretty much equally :what: and :what:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pollyanna posted:

That apron spoke to me and I am scared.

It's a cute experiment, but they should probably just put an animated talking Francis in the corner of the screen. The talking apron is a bit inconsistent.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

rgocs posted:

Over in the General Questions thread vermin posted a link to my new favourite youtube channel, and since we're in sandwich talk, I'm going to post this one here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXYoduN0kWs

How well would this work with loin instead of shoulder?

In other news I have a whole pork loin in my freezer and 15-20 guests coming over for Saturday afternoon BBQ. Suggestions? I'd rather do something porchetta-esque than pulled pork-esque.

To expand, my current plan - far from set in stone - is to butterfly the thing, season it with fennel, garlic, and pepper, then tie it back up and slow roast it overnight a la porchetta, then to finish it over charcoal before serving on some nice buns with cheese and greens. I've just never tried this with any cut other than shoulder and I'm worried that it'll be a disaster - loin is just what I have.

e. this kind of loin, but the whole uncut loin

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 24, 2017

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CommonShore posted:

How well would this work with loin instead of shoulder?

In other news I have a whole pork loin in my freezer and 15-20 guests coming over for Saturday afternoon BBQ. Suggestions? I'd rather do something porchetta-esque than pulled pork-esque.

To expand, my current plan - far from set in stone - is to butterfly the thing, season it with fennel, garlic, and pepper, then tie it back up and slow roast it overnight a la porchetta, then to finish it over charcoal before serving on some nice buns with cheese and greens. I've just never tried this with any cut other than shoulder and I'm worried that it'll be a disaster - loin is just what I have.

e. this kind of loin, but the whole uncut loin

You don't want to cook loin like shoulder.

For loin cook it like chicken breast, if you have sousvide even better but basically just cook at say 300 or so just until the internal temp hits 145F then give it a 3 min rest. From there I'd just slice thin and use on the sandwich. If you wanted to sousvide it with some herbs or put a rub on it before doing it in the oven that's probably all fine and good. You could make a pan sauce from that and the drippings and lightly toss back over the slices or something.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I usually brine my pork loin in hard apple (or pear) cider with some fresh rosemary stalks and salt overnight, then hit it with cracked pepper and paprika and either roast it in the oven or grill it whole.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's a cute experiment, but they should probably just put an animated talking Francis in the corner of the screen. The talking apron is a bit inconsistent.

That's a good, probably better idea. Still, Francis is missed. You can't say you didn't like the poodle, mindphlux.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That Works posted:

You don't want to cook loin like shoulder.

For loin cook it like chicken breast, if you have sousvide even better but basically just cook at say 300 or so just until the internal temp hits 145F then give it a 3 min rest. From there I'd just slice thin and use on the sandwich. If you wanted to sousvide it with some herbs or put a rub on it before doing it in the oven that's probably all fine and good. You could make a pan sauce from that and the drippings and lightly toss back over the slices or something.

That's what I figured. Thanks.

Liquid Communism posted:

I usually brine my pork loin in hard apple (or pear) cider with some fresh rosemary stalks and salt overnight, then hit it with cracked pepper and paprika and either roast it in the oven or grill it whole.

I'll try something like this and report back with the results. I'm thinking that I'll brine it, roast it over the charcoal, and then slice it and finish on the gas with some cheese, serving it on a nice toasted bun.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Sodium =/= the flavor of salt, dummies.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's only 23/58.5ths of the flavor of salt

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if you aren't marinating every loving meat in fish sauce you're doing it wrong

join da liter a month club

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

It's only 23/58.5ths of the flavor of salt

:golfclap: :science:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

mindphlux posted:

A litre a month of fish sauce seem like a cheap habit. I have never marinated meat in it before, but usually nearly everything gets a 1-2 Tbsp of tra chang gold 2yr in it.
I did a yellow coconut curry with cauli, butternut, ginger and capsicums (e: AKA bell peppers) last night for dinner. No salt added because I finished with da fish sauce.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 25, 2017

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mindphlux posted:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
true fish sauce tale

yesterday I cooked a tbone (marinated in fish sauce, of course)

I had leftovers so I threw my rare hunk of chargrilled meat into a ziplock with a couple more tablespoons of fish sauce overnight

tonight I sliced it super thin and made a salad with some fish sauce, palm sugar, lime juice, olive oil, mint, cucumber, cilantro, and red onion

loving owned

ounces of fish sauce used in last three days : 6-8

get'em to da greek, meet&greet ~~tha fishsauce challenge~~

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

OK I just had a moment of clarity on my pork loin that I'm serving tomorrow.

Right now it's brining in a can of hard cider with a touch of salt and a touch of molasses. I'm going to sous vide it tonight, slice it tomorrow, and then heat it on the grill with provolone to serve on fresh kaisers with spinach and some mustard. Here are my questions about this:

-Temperature and time (it's like... 5 lb? ish? a foot of pork loin)
-What should I throw into the bag? Should I move the meat to a clean dry bag with garlic, salt, pepper, and bay? Or just cook it in the brine? What about something like apple slices? Or chives? I have an absolute -shitload- of garden chives.

In before fish sauce... though three of the attending families are first-generation Asian immigrants. I have char siu sauce too...

Taking suggestions.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CommonShore posted:

Right now it's brining in a can of hard cider with a touch of salt and a touch of molasses. I'm going to sous vide it tonight, slice it tomorrow, and then heat it on the grill with provolone to serve on fresh kaisers with spinach and some mustard. Here are my questions about this:

-What should I throw into the bag? Should I move the meat to a clean dry bag with garlic, salt, pepper, and bay? Or just cook it in the brine? What about something like apple slices? Or chives? I have an absolute -shitload- of garden chives.

In before fish sauce... though three of the attending families are first-generation Asian immigrants. I have char siu sauce too...

Taking suggestions.

I can't answer all of your questions, but I gotta say I'd personally hold off on slicing until after the grilling (and grill to an internal temp of 145, rest for at least 20 minutes). Fresh chives should be a dressing, put out a small bowl of them with the sammies to be added as wanted. Same with the apples. I gotta say though, that sounds hella good and want a seat at your table.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I like using thin-sliced tart apples (Granny Smith for preference) as a pickle replacement, so those could go well.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OK, food science guys, which of these claimed allergies are total bullshit?

http://imgur.com/gallery/MwLdV

I mean, can you really be fatally allergic to wine vinegar, but not other vinegars?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I mean, can you really be fatally allergic to wine vinegar, but not other vinegars?

Yes, for the same reason you can be allergic to grapes without being allergic to apples. It's now how it's used that makes someone allergic to it, it's what it's made of.

Waci fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 27, 2017

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Waci posted:

Yes, for the same reason you can be allergic to grapes without being allergic to apples. It's now how it's used that makes someone allergic to it, it's what it's made of.

Okay, but it must be said that if any one of these is a giant exaggeration or outright lie, it's definitely that story. That particular post reeks of bullshit. (Which does nothing to undermine the point of the post.)

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
You still shouldn't drink diet soda if you're a diabetic though.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

K guys k, help.

I had my delightful jaw surgery on wednesday and I look like stay puft marshmallow man, but I did a lot of food prep before hand. So I'm not starving... but I need to figure out ways to get more meat protein in my food that doesn't involve pureeing a steak.

Before hand I made split pea soup, butternut squash soup, and Thai red curry lentil soup. My mom made me potato leak soup. I've got enriched soy milk, coconut milk rice pudding (w/ an egg yolk for protein), but these are all veg sources of protein and after a few days without meat my body protests. I'm on liquid only foods - no chewing for 6 weeks until the bones knit.

It's really only me eating this, so i don't need enormous batch of food. The only idea I had right now is to throw a chicken breast into congee and let it simmer till it's so soft I can just swallow it. Other ideas?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Tbh you can purée, probably not a steak, but meat in general. When I had my wisdom teeth out, my mom blended pork chops one night, hot dogs another night, whatever. It was...not unlike pâté

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I've made pureed soups with meat ingredients... Duck confit lentil tarragon, Chorizo white bean, split pea with ham (hock)

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Super soft meatballs in soup / sauce? Maybe even ground meat cooked in sauce / in soup like a sausage gravy kind of situation? If you want to get ambitious, rilletes?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Don't forget, eggs can substitute for meat protein as far as most people's bodies are concerned, and it's a lot easier to blend eggs. You can even do stuff like eggnog too!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Hummus slurry?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CrazySalamander posted:

Don't forget, eggs can substitute for meat protein as far as most people's bodies are concerned, and it's a lot easier to blend eggs. You can even do stuff like eggnog too!

How do you make hot eggs not taste like hot eggs though? Meat and beans have the advantage of having some subtlety to their flavor profile and being able to meld in. Meanwhile, an egg in my experience carelessly blended into something will just kinda dilute the original flavor by scrambling. Well, you could just toss the white I guess but still. :raise:

Echeveria posted:

K guys k, help.

I had my delightful jaw surgery on wednesday and I look like stay puft marshmallow man, but I did a lot of food prep before hand. So I'm not starving... but I need to figure out ways to get more meat protein in my food that doesn't involve pureeing a steak.

Before hand I made split pea soup, butternut squash soup, and Thai red curry lentil soup. My mom made me potato leak soup. I've got enriched soy milk, coconut milk rice pudding (w/ an egg yolk for protein), but these are all veg sources of protein and after a few days without meat my body protests. I'm on liquid only foods - no chewing for 6 weeks until the bones knit.

It's really only me eating this, so i don't need enormous batch of food. The only idea I had right now is to throw a chicken breast into congee and let it simmer till it's so soft I can just swallow it. Other ideas?

I'm going to go with heresy here and say you should try fish. As long as you're not skimping on the fat and vegetables it'll come out delicious.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I mashed cooked chicken breast into a paste and had that, along with mashed broccoli/cheese/potatoes. You could probably do pate, too. I was lucky and had dairy for my animal proteins so I didn't have to experiment much.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Taking suggestions.

Probably too late, but I would go with 145F for like an hour. Pork loin has very little connective tissue to break down, so you don't need that long. As others have said, grill first, then slice. Ideally, you bring it up to 135-140 before grilling so you will just need a few minutes.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If your body is just craving the flavor of meat, then bacon should pair well with most recipes and also blend well enough. You might even trick yourself with the umami from mushrooms and/or MSG as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

MiddleOne posted:

I'm going to go with heresy here and say you should try fish. As long as you're not skimping on the fat and vegetables it'll come out delicious.

I forgot that I read somewhere white fish is a good option cause it's pretty soft and flaky once cooked, and you can just swallow it! Now I just have to go find some decent fish.

I was thinking tonight I'd make a shepherd's pie and kind of pulse the meat in a blender after it was browned.

My husband made me scrambled eggs for breakfast, the urge to chew was really strong, but I was able to swallow it all without chewing.