Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

enojy posted:

Too bad the port will take like a year to make it out of Japan.

I hope it won't be that long but I guess all those cat puns take time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Gaijinhunter posting comparisons:

https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/868316331635900416

https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/868324374201327618

https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/868325961372098560

https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/868328347381542912

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

That first hour alone sold me on ARMS, once the controls clicked I was having a blast

I stuck with Ribbon Girl for the hour. Her having multiple air jumps is the best, it was really easy to just keep jumping towards them and grabbing midair.
I didn't like v-ball very much at all, it was all about just hitting the ball as soon as it spawns, wish I could just play 2p vs too, but oh well

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

eddiewalker posted:

Does it always feel like you're going to break something when removing them? I'm also not clear on how the lock works, or why its exists at all

It's not super obvious, but there are little buttons on the back that release the locks. If you already know about them and are just commenting that it's still a bit awkward to remove them, then :agreed:.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Xik posted:

It's not super obvious, but there are little buttons on the back that release the locks. If you already know about them and are just commenting that it's still a bit awkward to remove them, then :agreed:.

Also be sure you are matching the correct strap with each joycon. I accidentally put the wrong one on one of them once and it I REALLY thought I would need to break something in order to get it off ever when pressing the release button.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Unlucky7 posted:

Also be sure you are matching the correct strap with each joycon. I accidentally put the wrong one on one of them once and it I REALLY thought I would need to break something in order to get it off ever when pressing the release button.

I don't think there is a "wrong one" but you can put them on backwards, which then is really hard to take off.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
It's amazing​ how bad the straps are. Goons are still having trouble with them and spreading misinformation. You don't need to press the release button on the controller to detach, just make sure the tab on the strap is pulled out. And the straps aren't for specifically​ the left or right joycons, they're reversible. You have to match up the + or - is all.

It's also weird that you slide the joycon UP into it instead of down like how it interfaces with boy the switch and the cradle.

They suck.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
found out my hands are too big for single joy con mario kart

it worked but it's not comfortable

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

My pro controller came in the mail today. You guys weren't joking when you said it feels great. I mean the joy cons mounted to the controller thing are pretty serviceable but it's night and day playing with my fancy new 70 dollar controller. Now I can try coop on Binding of Isaac too, which is cool.

I still have an NES30 Pro on the way too but I will use that for my raspberry pi emulator stuff and PC games, with the Switch compatibility being an added bonus.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sprite141 posted:

Those monster hunter ps4 rumors don't hold a lot of ground. Monster Hunter is perfect portably, and the devs know this. It only managed to survive by going from ps2 to psp, and becoming hugely popular in japan due to close proximity with people on long train rides/ect.

I'll sure as poo poo buy it if it comes out on the ps4, but I really don't want to have to be glued to my couch to play it. Oh, also mhgen changed the way you make better gear, so grinding isn't as bad. You can also just use any parts from x monster half the time, instead of x part from x monster.

What makes it better on a portable system? Does have location based mechanics, like Pokemon go for example?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's the secret, then. It takes all these things and puts them together in a way that's presented well and allows freedom. It's less about creating something new and more distilling it into something that's more than the sum of its parts. BoTW does a lot of things other games do, but not all at once, and not nearly as well.

list the things

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I hate open world games but I've played like 100 hours of Zelda which means Zelda is the best open world game

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

.TakaM posted:

I didn't like v-ball very much at all, it was all about just hitting the ball as soon as it spawns, wish I could just play 2p vs too, but oh well

No it's not you can do the grab to the ball and it will set it so you can spike it

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Kurtofan posted:

ok my joy-cons stopped synching in with my switch, i have no idea why.

Have you turned off your Switch recently. The two times I've had issues were because I had gone weeks only using sleep and never actually doing a full restart.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I loved ARMS. Master Mummy is great. Timer scamming with shield healing, and getting a perfect by healing off the damage they dealt.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Wheany posted:

What makes it better on a portable system? Does have location based mechanics, like Pokemon go for example?

local multiplayer my dude

if you've never gotten together with 3 friends in the same room and hunted mons for hours, you're missing out

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Monster Hunter also fits very well in daily commute as missions average at about 15 minutes so you can hunt a beast while taking the bus/train easily.

In Japan you also have dudes hang out at cafes and whatever just gaming with strangers so it makes more sense there.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Next Test Punch coming up in a few minutes.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I got my Switch today, it's loving awesome and I can't wait to play Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle when it comes out.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Playing Helix in ARMS once you get used to him is like

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I can't believe how good some people are already at this game.

Also it's sure gonna be fun in the retail game losing like 4 points every time I get a "communication error".

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Downloaded TP
Played a match, got annihilated
Played a second match, got annihilated
Deleted TP

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Actually it was more like 4 matches but with two each with both the motion controls and the pro controller. Just not very fun.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I tested my punches, it was a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be. I won some and I lost some but I had a lot of fun, I annihilated some dude in Volleyball and felt like a cool guy. I really wish the game was better at explaining the controls though, It would have been nice to know that ZL and ZR on the pro controller could be used to throw their respective punches earlier.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
lol ARMS loving sucks 😂

additional lol at people convincing themselves that it's actually cool and good because they're starved for content on the console

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Very meh about ARMS; I'm sure some people will love it but I'm expecting 7/10s and the bargain bin before Christmas

Gotta have a few duds I suppose

Tbf that's pretty much all fighting games except for smash now that I think of it

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol ARMS loving sucks 😂

additional lol at people convincing themselves that it's actually cool and good because they're starved for content on the console

Oh weird, I though I actually liked it because it's fun. Thanks for clearing that up!

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

lol ARMS loving sucks 😂

it's a goddamned shame though because I love the visual style and the characters; maybe it'll have a good single player campaign like Splatoon did that wasn't announced before it was released.

it's like; this title is the riskiest from nintendo all year, and i get the feeling that it's precisely the kind of game that absolutely should not be released in a super limited option "test punch" format of 1-hour at a time that basically allows people who think "hmmm... this looks like it might be good but will probably suck" to have their suspicions confirmed

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This second testlunch I had to wait in the lobby a lot loger. Last time it was near instant, but this time, everytime we somehow finished our matches as other matches were just beginning and it wouldn't match me with someone I'd just played, which was especially a problem when finishing a four players match.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I played for a bit. It falls deeply into the trap most fighting games do, it's really only fun if you're winning. Smash it's at least fun to gently caress around in group matches. 1v1 arms is just frustrating.

It's a fine game, but fighting games just aren't for me. It'd be more worth it if you had IRL friends to play with. Moreso than even Mario Kart. The design, UI and sound are some of the best I've seen, also.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Glad you're here to enlighten us.

:rolleyes:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I liked ARMS.
It's good fun.

Not sure if there is enough there to hold my interest for me personally to grab it, but it's def some good fun and I reckon there's a nice skill curve where you'll start getting a lot better.

Will continue playing the Test Punches and my mind may change.
Motion controls are pretty tops.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ometeotl posted:

Glad you're here to enlighten us.

:rolleyes:

I too hate it when people give video game opinions that aren't 100% congruent with mine :allears:

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Xik posted:

Yeah what happens if you press buttons while removing it? Like, during the set up it tells you not to but it;s pretty awkward to not press another button and still have leverage to hold the button and slide it out. It definitely should have been put somewhere else on the remote.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

lol ARMS loving sucks 😂

😂👌

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I too hate it when people give video game opinions that aren't 100% congruent with mine :allears:

There's a difference between saying it sucks and calling everyone who likes it brainwashed sheeple

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

I liked ARMS.
It's good fun.

Not sure if there is enough there to hold my interest for me personally to grab it, but it's def some good fun and I reckon there's a nice skill curve where you'll start getting a lot better.

Will continue playing the Test Punches and my mind may change.
Motion controls are pretty tops.

I really enjoyed ARMS. And actually did quite well using Minmin with the Megawatt and RamRam.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This second testlunch I had to wait in the lobby a lot loger. Last time it was near instant, but this time, everytime we somehow finished our matches as other matches were just beginning and it wouldn't match me with someone I'd just played, which was especially a problem when finishing a four players match.

I noticed this too and was kinda bummed by it, everyone is in a match except one dude and myself and we can't have one because we just had a Volleyball match? Those don't even count!

well why not posted:

I played for a bit. It falls deeply into the trap most fighting games do, it's really only fun if you're winning. Smash it's at least fun to gently caress around in group matches. 1v1 arms is just frustrating.

I had fun even when I was losing. It might be because I don't really care about winning though

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I think ARMS is going to sell well, that said it is not for me Fighting games have never really clicked with me. I like motion controls in general and half the time both arms punched and hooks were almost impossible so after 5 minutes I switched to pro controller. Pro controller was a bit better I actually 1 one of my matches but overall I decided I wasn't having fun and turned it off after 30 minutes. I looks like a fun fighting / Boxing game though and I'm sure it will do well. Have fun goons, I'm going to go back to playing making numbers get bigger because that clicks with my brain for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really enjoyed ARMS. And actually did quite well using Minmin with the Megawatt and RamRam.

Ribbon Girl + Slapper superiority :getin:

• Locked thread