Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I too hate it when people give video game opinions that aren't 100% congruent with mine :allears:

"This game is objectively bad and people who say they like it are lying to themselves" is not an opinion.

:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Welp I think I'm gonna buy ARMS. Don't normally enjoy fighting games but I'm starting to dig this one.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I feel like the joycon straps should have been designed in a way that doesn't require official instructional videos, but here we are.

https://youtu.be/PG5n7-ncYDc

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I think I may have cost Nintendo some sales by getting perfect wins on some people during the second test punch... The game is pretty amazing when you're going up against someone else who knows how to play and it becomes a game of countering and faking out the other player. I also though volleyball was bad yesterday, but having more understanding of he moves makes it quite fun.

Another thing I noticed is that the motion controls work well once you understand the character animations. I used motion first and struggled, went controller and dominated, and then went back to motion and kept doing well. Still, I found myself switching to the controller when matched against the better players.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

well why not posted:

I played for a bit. It falls deeply into the trap most fighting games do, it's really only fun if you're winning. Smash it's at least fun to gently caress around in group matches. 1v1 arms is just frustrating.

It's a fine game, but fighting games just aren't for me. It'd be more worth it if you had IRL friends to play with. Moreso than even Mario Kart. The design, UI and sound are some of the best I've seen, also.

The thing about fighting games is that you have to find the fun in improving your game (like lots of competitive games) but because a lot of the time it's harder to figure out what you did wrong. You have to realize things like, "I'm panicking" or "I grab too much" or "I kept following up my punches with a dash and got predictable" and find this process enjoyable. And you have to get over yourself if you lose because unless you're the top player, it's going to happen.

I mean, you probably knew all that already. It's hard to describe why I find fighting games fun even if I get salty as gently caress when I lose a lot. Maybe I just enjoy attempting to out think my opponent. There's something satisfying about predicting your opponents movements.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Mr nintendo please rerelease the n64 Star Wars pod racing game for the switch with each joycon controlling an individual pod engine

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

eddiewalker posted:

I feel like the joycon straps should have been designed in a way that doesn't require official instructional videos, but here we are.

https://youtu.be/PG5n7-ncYDc

What the gently caress
So what are the buttons on the back for?

Edit: to detach from the console

LPG Giant fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 27, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sakurazuka posted:

There's a difference between saying it sucks and calling everyone who likes it brainwashed sheeple

they are tho :discourse:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Mr nintendo please rerelease the n64 Star Wars pod racing game for the switch with each joycon controlling an individual pod engine

Please stop looking at my Christmas list, thankyou :colbert:.

LPG Giant posted:

What the gently caress

Generally speaking; for when you hold the Joycon on its side as a scaled-down controller for use as shoulder buttons.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
ARMS is good and I am going to buy it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

LPG Giant posted:

What the gently caress

You mean the buttons for releasing the joycons from the tablet or grip? They're still for that.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

All these "I lost in this brand new fighting game, I don't like this game" posts kinda bum me out

Edit: obviously no one should feel obligated to play if they're not having fun, it's just a sad reminder why fighting games aren't as big as I'd like

Zelder fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 27, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mega64 posted:

Welp I think I'm gonna buy ARMS. Don't normally enjoy fighting games but I'm starting to dig this one.

I'm wondering how you'll do a low budget video version of this game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I hope the Golf Story game has actual golf courses you can play after the RPG stuff is done.

That'd be an instant buy for me. I love chillout golf games :3:

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
ARMS reminds me of Custom Robo for Gamecube and original DS. You have a short list of customization options that you can swap around in both games, and combat is mostly about timing and positioning around the small arena. You only ever have a couple of moves you can make, and there are no supermoves or obscure abilities that only apply to a particular character. It seemed good from the test punch. Master Mummy is unstoppable.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For everyone confused about joycon straps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG5n7-ncYDc

Straight from the horse's mouth.

The release buttons are for detaching from the grip or console, the latch is all you do for detaching from the strap.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

ARMS reminds me of Custom Robo for Gamecube and original DS. You have a short list of customization options that you can swap around in both games, and combat is mostly about timing and positioning around the small arena. You only ever have a couple of moves you can make, and there are no supermoves or obscure abilities that only apply to a particular character. It seemed good from the test punch. Master Mummy is unstoppable.

Custom robo for the GameCube is still one of the best multiplayer experiences around. Sniper supremacy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zelder posted:

Custom robo for the GameCube is still one of the best multiplayer experiences around. Sniper supremacy

If you have a 3DS, LBX scratches that robot battling itch pretty drat well.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Arms is fun. It's like playing Virtual On but with Punch Out!! characters. Someone please contact Mr. Sega and tell him to make a new Virtual On for Switch because this control setup is perfect for replicating the feel of the dual stick arcade setup and with multi-Switch local play it would be exactly like you were linked to someone else in the opposite cabinet just like old times.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Arms is good but not for everyone. There's my hot take.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
You all can't handle other people not liking something you do, furthermore everyone who doesn't think arms is trash like I do is delusional

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
ARMS really isn't going to sell well. It'll do good initially and then drop off a cliff. That's because as you can already see, there's going to be a high barrier for entry in online play and it's probably only going to do well if it develops a better local multiplayer casual scene.

Yes, the whole idea of games like these is that you're not good at first and learn and have to do better, but at the same time people don't want to lose without having a single win for huge periods of time. It's demoralizing and why would you do that to yourself when you could play a game you know you at least have a chance in? With Splatoon 2 coming out only a month later, it's going to be the go to competitive game. Splatoon has other people backing you up so even if you're not great, you have breathers and can even win some games until you finally get a handle on things. With ARMS you just get dick punched and you're left scratching your head about what went wrong because the match is over so quick, and the 3 player free for alls? What the gently caress were they even thinking? It's frustrating because the second you target one guy the other guy realizes he's free and starts punching you. It was awful. The only game I won was volleyball because people really didn't get the idea of "hit the ball".

I'm not 100% down on ARMS though. It had a really fun style to it, and that trying out some other control styles will maybe help me do better, and when I do some local multiplayer I can focus on learning the motion controls. So in the end I think I'm probably going to still get the game because at the very least local multi could still be a blast, and worst case scenario if I really sour on the game I can sell it off. ARMS has potential but I hope Nintendo has a robust training mode for people.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ARMS is like the fisher price version of a fighting game; do not enjoy it at all. Takes no actual skill just entirely luck

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BM Zero has some rad earworm chiptunes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Arms is probably good but nintendos beta time limits are horseshit only a big loser would defend

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well it's not a beta, it's a stress test for the server.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Real hurthling! posted:

Arms is probably good but nintendos beta time limits are horseshit only a big loser would defend

Ehh, not entirely. They do need to be a lot more regular, but a set window means they actually have a proper-sized population of players for stress-testing instead of a low-population ebb and flow across a weekend that never really hits the high counts the full live game would.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

ARMS really isn't going to sell well. It'll do good initially and then drop off a cliff. That's because as you can already see, there's going to be a high barrier for entry in online play and it's probably only going to do well if it develops a better local multiplayer casual scene.

I don't think the barrier will be that high, it will likely start you in rooms with same-rank people

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The Black Stones posted:

Yes, the whole idea of games like these is that you're not good at first and learn and have to do better, but at the same time people don't want to lose without having a single win for huge periods of time. It's demoralizing and why would you do that to yourself when you could play a game you know you at least have a chance in? With Splatoon 2 coming out only a month later, it's going to be the go to competitive game. Splatoon has other people backing you up so even if you're not great, you have breathers and can even win some games until you finally get a handle on things. With ARMS you just get dick punched and you're left scratching your head about what went wrong because the match is over so quick, and the 3 player free for alls? What the gently caress were they even thinking? It's frustrating because the second you target one guy the other guy realizes he's free and starts punching you. It was awful. The only game I won was volleyball because people really didn't get the idea of "hit the ball".

I'm not 100% down on ARMS though. It had a really fun style to it, and that trying out some other control styles will maybe help me do better, and when I do some local multiplayer I can focus on learning the motion controls. So in the end I think I'm probably going to still get the game because at the very least local multi could still be a blast, and worst case scenario if I really sour on the game I can sell it off. ARMS has potential but I hope Nintendo has a robust training mode for people.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1039957

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

it was day 1 of a 1hour stress test, chill

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Empress Brosephine posted:

ARMS is like the fisher price version of a fighting game; do not enjoy it at all. Takes no actual skill just entirely luck

umm no I believe you'll find that it is the best thing since MK8 which itself was the best thing since BOTW

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Look at all these ARM(S)chair analysts.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No troll playing USF2, the switch has probably the worst controllers ever for a fighting game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

No troll playing USF2, the switch has probably the worst controllers ever for a fighting game.

We actually agree on something. Good thing that ARMS uses superior motion control

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Arms probably won't sell that well. However having a "high barrier of entry online" is true of almost every competitive game. I don't see how that affects arms more than any other game unless you think people who buy nintendos are literal babies?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Feenix posted:

Look at all these ARM(S)chair analysts.

:golfclap:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

How do you want your balancing fam

https://twitter.com/asabataiga/status/868104567090589698

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

idk about the barrier. matchmaking is a thing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
ARMS will probably sell decently but will not reach Splatoon levels of breakout new IP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ehh, not entirely. They do need to be a lot more regular, but a set window means they actually have a proper-sized population of players for stress-testing instead of a low-population ebb and flow across a weekend that never really hits the high counts the full live game would.

Plenty of games have real betas and launch with no issues. Nintendo only does this because it makes people want the game more if they cant binge

• Locked thread